Hey guys, Quest-2 power issue?

Hetzer-JG51

So having my Quest-2 linked via a USB 3.1-Gen-2 output to the USB-C on the headset sees the battery drain itself. It appears the regular USB slots don't provide even nearly enough power just to charge it when it's not in use, never mind while it's running. Even the USB-C Gen-1 output I have on the PC doesn't seem to have sufficient grunt. Is this an unknown 'gotcha' with this headset? I've read loads of posts saying regular USB slots work fine, even 3.0 but I'm guessing they all haven't yet run them long enough to drain the battery, they just think the thing's being powered ok.

Any thoughts?

This is a common issues with a lot of devices that charge through your computer. Said devices use to much power than the USB connection can charge them with.

A common solution to this is to buy a USB power adapter for your computer, they speed up the charging process.

Im not sure if the USB is used just for charging, but if you go on amazon and look up USB 3.1 power adapter or USB 3.1 charger etc,  I think you might find something that solves your problem.

Or you can even just replace the entire cable and find a cable that charges faster...

Be carefull not to give the headset too much power tho... you might break..

Anyways, those are my thoughts, proceed with care

Hetzer-JG51

It would be so helpful to know what the thing's power-draw is but no answers to be found. The most power a USB puts out is 900ma (USB 3.0), so either the Quest-2 is taking more than that by design or there's something wrong with mine. The Rift ran off a USB 3.0 and HDMI...was it getting power from the HDMI too does anyone know?

What cable are you using? I know from reviewers that even with official oculus link cable the headset would slowly loose charge. And that is designed with fiber optic and a dedicated power line in it. From what I interpreted leading up to release was the 3rd party cables could do the data part but not charge it sufficiently during play. But I could be worng.

Hetzer-JG51
22 minutes ago, kuk111 said:

What cable are you using? I know from reviewers that even with official oculus link cable the headset would slowly loose charge. And that is designed with fiber optic and a dedicated power line in it. From what I interpreted leading up to release was the 3rd party cables could do the data part but not charge it sufficiently during play. But I could be worng.

Well, if that be the case it would appear Oculus/Facebook kept that very well hidden, for obvious reasons (very few PC users would have bought the fking thing). I'll give the Y-splitter a go (thanks for that idea).

I don’t have time to do a playtime test with my Anker cable to see how long I can fly, I can confirm though that when idle with the screen off it will charge the headset. This is off a Inateck usb 3.0  pcie card 

Edited by kuk111
Hetzer-JG51
18 minutes ago, kuk111 said:

I don’t have time to do a playtime t with my Anker cable to see how long I can fly, I can confirm though that when idle with the screen off it will charge the headset. This is off a Inateck usb 3.0  pcie card 

Mine actually drains power in idle/sleep-mode while connected to the PC's direct USB port or to a main's-powered USB hub. Only the supplied adapter can charge it in sleep mode.

From the Oculus site:

"To keep your Oculus Quest 2 or Quest in good working condition, you should only charge your headset with the charger that was included in the box. You should also avoid charging your headset while it's in use."

The only possible reason I can think of for that absurd restriction is they know it'll over-heat if allowed to run for too long, though with the extra battery pack they supply in the 'Elite' head-band it'll go for just under five hours. It has a fan inside it FFS. The Rift, no fan and was powered in use (obviously, no battery required). Turns out the Q2 is a bit of a clusterfk. I think I'll be sending it back for a refund.

Don’t know why yours looses charge. I believe they had same warning for quest. Ton of people, including myself had battery packs strapped to that thing during play. 
  Sorry you are having a bad time with it though. :(     Just ran a mission in SW squadrons wirelessly with virtual desktop at 90hrz and it looked and played wonderfully. 

Hetzer-JG51

My impression is that it was assumed by the public the PC would power the device while in use (as with the Rift CV1 all the way to the Quest-1). It now appears that Oculus consider two hours of use, followed by two and a half hours to recharge the batteries, is an acceptable process for use with a cable-connection to a PC. It's been a real twilight-zone moment.

This is the message I sent them (support ticket):

"Hi guys. I've just taken delivery of my Quest 2 and have discovered the battery drains while using the unit via the link cable to my PC. After testing various ways it appears the PC USB 3.1 Gen 2 port cannot even charge the battery while the unit is in sleep mode, the only way to get a charge into the battery is off the supplied mains adapter. Even the supplied USB-C cable cannot maintain a positive charge to the battery if connected from a USB-C 3.1 port on my PC. I cannot believe this is an intended design, that the unit cannot be powered in use while playing games from my PC. So, is it malfunctioning? TIA and kind regards."

This is the answer I received just ten minutes later:

"
Hello P,

Thank you for contacting Oculus Support.

I understand that you are having an issue with your Quest 2 battery. I'll be glad to assist you.

I appreciated that you have tried troubleshooting from your end but if you have not already done so, please try the troubleshooting steps as below:

• Remove the battery for 2-3 minutes, then re-insert them.
  • Replace the battery with known working batteries.

Please be sure to allow your headset to charge for at least two hours to ensure the headset is fully charged. Once left to charge, hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds to allow it to turn on. If your headset continues to not power on, follow the steps below:

• Try another known working charging cable.
  • If you were unable to see an LED light previously, does the LED light up?
  • Use another power adapter with the Oculus Quest charging cable to rule out an issue with the adapter.
  • Plug the headset in to another outlet or computer.
  • Attempt to complete a reboot of the headset by holding down the power and volume (-) at the same time for 30 seconds to load the boot menu. Hit exit and reboot from the menu.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, please complete a factory reset by following the steps in our public support page here for both the headset and on the phone companion application.

If you require further assistance with any of these steps, you can receive live chat support by clicking here and choosing the chat button on the bottom right corner.

Please let me know the results of each step, if you were able to test using another cable and adapter.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best,

May
Oculus Support | Facebook Reality Labs"

I figure May must be on meth or something. The total disconnect between my message and her response is so bizarre as to suggest a genuine mental illness.

And the link to the "live chat" goes to the exact same support-ticket submission page I used originally. It's also impossible to either log in or register to their forums, the links to both produce a blank page.

I foresee tens of thousands of Quest-2s being returned for refunds.

Hetzer-JG51
Live chat:

I mean the USB port, If you haven't already please try these troubleshooting steps: Ensure that USB power saving settings in Windows Device Manager are not enabled for your USB ports: right-click the Start button and open Device Manager find your USB ports right-click and select Properties go to Power Management make sure that options to save power are deselected (please note that it is normal that some of them will not have any checkbox for power saving settings).
Can you please confirm that the Quest-2 is supposed to be powered by the PC when being used on it with the link cable and not by its battery?
Oliver G
Yes, it should be.
Ok, so I'm not going mad then. Lol. So my unit is defective I guess.
Oliver G
Have you tried using it on a different PC perhaps? And review if the issue persist?
My son has one too (he got his the day before me), I'll see if his does the same.
Oliver G
Awesome, let me know how that goes so that we can Isolate the issue.
If his does the same they'll both be going back to Amazon for a refund I'm afraid.

Type a message here...
Edited by J3Hetzer
Hetzer-JG51
33 minutes ago, kelemenlajos said:

@J3Hetzer have you tried it with a powerbank? PC USB ports are Amp limited based on the pcie / motherboard limits. But if you got a powerbank with USB 3.1 (or you can lend one fully charged for a test) it's woth testing because they can provide steady 5V but can give higher amp then your PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Power_and_charging

Charging it isn't the problem, the supplied mains adapter does that ok, it's that it won't run off the PC, it runs off its battery. Two hours of PC play, then needing two and a half hours of charging, is a fking joke. It's going back to Amazon today.

They are going to see a lot of angry little cartoon avatars running around in the 3d social media environment when they finish their masterplan.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
10 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

So having my Quest-2 linked via a USB 3.1-Gen-2 output to the USB-C on the headset sees the battery drain itself. It appears the regular USB slots don't provide even nearly enough power just to charge it when it's not in use, never mind while it's running. Even the USB-C Gen-1 output I have on the PC doesn't seem to have sufficient grunt. Is this an unknown 'gotcha' with this headset? I've read loads of posts saying regular USB slots work fine, even 3.0 but I'm guessing they all haven't yet run them long enough to drain the battery, they just think the thing's being powered ok.

Any thoughts?

As far as I know that is normal. It was a topic yesterday in talks with buddies of mine, one who will receive his Quest 2 today, the other one already having it. Both have extensive Q1 experience. What I took from it, the Quest 1 and 2 both discharge over time if in use and connected to the PC. That's why it's unfit for very long gaming sessions in games like IL-2, you're just risking it to black out. But that isn't the Quest's purpose, right? It's a mobile device with incredible price/performance value, with that link capability, and can even get used wirelessly via WiFi, and not meant to play in excess of roughly 4 hours anyway.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution, and if so, please share it. I am also very interested in this device, it's the only series I haven't tried yet.

Hetzer-JG51
18 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

As far as I know that is normal. It was a topic yesterday in talks with buddies of mine, one who will receive his Quest 2 today, the other one already having it. Both have extensive Q1 experience. What I took from it, the Quest 1 and 2 both discharge over time if in use and connected to the PC. That's why it's unfit for very long gaming sessions in games like IL-2, you're just risking it to black out. But that isn't the Quest's purpose, right? It's a mobile device with incredible price/performance value, with that link capability, and can even get used wirelessly via WiFi, and not meant to play in excess of roughly 4 hours anyway.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution, and if so, please share it. I am also very interested in this device, it's the only series I haven't tried yet.

The only solution I could think of would be a y-splitter with three male connectors, one of which would have power pins only and the other normal (power and data pins). Obviously they could have manufactured and included that but chose instead to mention nothing about the issue and hope the twilight-zone effect clouded people's minds into not sending the joke back for a refund.
Mine's packed back in the box, Amazon return-label printed, all ready to be dropped off at the hermes collection point.

• 5 months later...
AFsparrow1968

Dear community,

I expect to buy my first VR headset with a preference to Quest 2 (cheap, versatile, good software) but there is a big no go. If a USB / to usb c cable cannot charge battery while playing on PC, it is a joke. My favourites games are on PC and are mostly flight sims.

I do not know if OCULUS software last version (version 28 I think) can solve that. If there is no solutions, I will wait for another headset (G2, upcoming PICO 3 or else). VR evolve so quickly and I am sure a new challenger will come with better qualities for the same price. Moreover what I hate is the mandatory facebook account with QUEST 2 and there commercial policy is a steamroller regarding others companies (see video).

I really do not know which headset to chose. G2 have a good reputation in sim community as I heard but issues with AMD chipset (I have ROG STRIX B550 F gaming wifi) and it is far more expensive than QUEST 2).

Have a nice evening Pilots!!

Spasticus

I play wireless pretty much exclusively with a cheap Anker 10000MAh powerbank on the back of my head. I play sessions of 4 hours sometimes, so this might be a solution. Don't have much experience with the link cables because I hate cables. Seems weird to me if it wouldn't charge while playing. 

6./ZG26_Saker
12 hours ago, AFsparrow1968 said:

Dear community,

I expect to buy my first VR headset with a preference to Quest 2 (cheap, versatile, good software) but there is a big no go. If a USB / to usb c cable cannot charge battery while playing on PC, it is a joke. My favourites games are on PC and are mostly flight sims.

I do not know if OCULUS software last version (version 28 I think) can solve that. If there is no solutions, I will wait for another headset (G2, upcoming PICO 3 or else). VR evolve so quickly and I am sure a new challenger will come with better qualities for the same price. Moreover what I hate is the mandatory facebook account with QUEST 2 and there commercial policy is a steamroller regarding others companies (see video).

I really do not know which headset to chose. G2 have a good reputation in sim community as I heard but issues with AMD chipset (I have ROG STRIX B550 F gaming wifi) and it is far more expensive than QUEST 2).

Have a nice evening Pilots!!

Mine charges while playing IL2 but not enough to keep up with the drain. I charge it to 100% using the ac adapter then while using link I am around 50% charge after 4 and a half hours of continuous play time. Id say to plan for charging breaks if you want to fly over 8 hours continuously 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Saker
AFsparrow1968

thanks to all for your feedback! 

so with a cable it can charge a little bit....

thanks for link Goldstein,

does this strap with a battery is not to heavy for your head for long flying sessions? 

anyway I cannot imagine that it is impossible to charge while playing. i have an USB A and USB C port gen 2 3.2 on my asus rog strix b550 f gaming wifi where it should work. if it doesn't,  it is not acceptable. In your car, you can use your phone (Waze, calls...etc) while charging it progressively through 12v cigarette plug!

have a great day 

Spasticus

10000 MAh is not super heavy. I wear it comfortably for hours. It's actually nice because it counterbalances the frontheavy weight of the headset. A bigger powerbank might become too heavy. 

I can recommend this strap which is specifically tuned to a powerbank. I use the Powercore 10000 MAh which is hte cheapest (but is USB-A only for charging the powerbank itself, which is a small annoyance).

Edited by Goldstein
AFsparrow1968

👍👍 thanks so for you,  experience with the quest 2 is globally really good.....

Spasticus

Yep, my experience is really good (coming from an Oculus CV1). With the CV1 it was really hard to play IL2 because of the low resolution which meant it was very hard to spot the enemy. The biggest drawback is that Facebook integration and that they sell your data. Facebook is a scummy company, I have no illusions about that and I understand people who'd rather spend more money at a competitor. But it's a great piece of hardware.

And wireless VR is just really great. My CV1 required setup of two camera stations and a wire to the PC, had to calibrate it every time I used it. It was so much hassle that I often didn't use it just because of the setup time. With the Quest 2 I just put it on my head and go.

Edited by Goldstein
AFsparrow1968

advices from virtual pilots community and dozen of reviews with pro and cons convinced me and I will go for the quest 2. I have just ordered it in a French shop near home. I am excited as a children waiting for his Christmas toy.!!

concerning aircraft spotting,  I will see if I can have it equivalent to my 2k monitor but anyway I will be immersed fully in my warbird!!

thanks to all of you 

have a great day 

• Like 1