OS other than Windows 10, etc.

Been meaning to Try Ubuntu Gaming Software (linux) But never go around to it as Win 10 was a mjaor improvement over Win 10 Bloatware "We see you" edition. 

Windows 7 Sp1 works Flawlessly 
It IS in fact far better if you dont plan on running IL-2 in VR.
Specially if you on older hardware made pre Win 10 & so on.

never updates as not supported anymore so Bonus,
no connections to Microsoft all blockable again bonus, 
and can alt tab without problems from fullscreen.

FX8350 + GTX1060 + Win7 + Drivers V388 (dec 2017). 
@ 3440 x 1440P 50-85fps Online.

Same System + Win10 Side by Side Install
Up to Date Drivers. 
@ 3440 x 1440P 40-60fps Online. 

(Last tested feb/march 2018 same map with same player count.
Simple Reboot into windows 10 loaded IL-2 and lost 15-20% Fps and notable increase in stutters. ) 

4 hours ago, vonNutz said:

Been asked before I suspect but:

Is there an Operating System other than Windows 10

that one can use for the Il2 BOX series?

Linux? 

Whatever?

Works perfectly in Linux and with VR, if you have Linux SteamVR compatible device. Performance is good in my opinion too, but can't really say how good because haven't played this in Windows. Should by the way write a few reports that this game is working and even with VR mode.

The video below was made in VR mode in Linux, and then recorded with OBS in Linux, you can see OBS being Linux version.

4 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Interesting. I wonder how good the support is. I run a non-Steam version of BoX etc. Could be interesting to use Linux. 

Basicly google is your support. But it use to be so that if you have a problem, then someone else had had that problem too and it has been figured out. Setting SteamVR in Linux was plug&play, but I would not anyway recommend Linux to a normal windows user because bad feelings can come of it, which come with Windows too, but for some reason people tolerate those bad feelings with Windows.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sitting here with a new build, mid range gaming computer--Ryzen 5 3600X, Nvidia 1660 Super, etc, etc,--and not being able to stomach Windows 10 OS--

I had it on an earlier PC--I returned the PC to the box where it will sit until a better OS--or even only slightly worse game play wise OS--comes along.

There is something out there called Proton which had a recent release, or update, on October 6, 2020.

Anyone have any experience with this?

On 10/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Been meaning to Try Ubuntu Gaming Software (linux) But never go around to it as Win 10 was a mjaor improvement over Win 10 Bloatware "We see you" edition

Windows 10 vs Windows 10 - can you clarify?