Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

Stonehouse

Haven't really had much time to test but attached is a draft custom plane json file for the latest version of Easy Mission Generator to use with this mod. Note EMG only allows one custom plane set at present so you'll either need to use JSGME to organise different custom plane sets or manually back up and overwrite the custom_planes.json if you want to switch between custom plane sets.

Usual method of picking The Channel and autumn in EMG but then remember to tick custom planes (assuming you have the file below installed). This will limit the plane set to appropriate aircraft for the theatre and time period (well as allowed within the constraints of what is available) for all aircraft regardless if it is ambient AI or something you'll fly.

custom_planes.zip

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Thanks 1

Off_Winters
15 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Beebop,

I went back to the ME in an effort to sort this out and realized that with the MOD installed I saw the willys jeep where I had placed it.  However, next to it, in the skeleton appearance, was another.  Looking in the ME I realized there were two willy jeeps one was a static willysmb and the other one under Vehicles, its the willysmb that has the skeleton appearance.  Hope this helps.  I've checked this out with both the MOD on and uninstalled and its shows up.

Falcon41

Hi Falcon,

The alpha channel on my static willies jeep was set to dark, I have applied the alpha channel from the stock file to my repainted static jeep, this should fix the issue.

I have attached the edited file here. If you wouldn't mind testing to see if it does fix the problem I'll know for sure that was the actual issue.

If you uninstall the desert mod with jsgme and then navigate to this folder and place the new texture in your addon it should fix the skeleton jeep.

\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_3\data\graphics\blocks\textures

the file you are replacing is: willysmb.dds

I've added this file to my update set.

regards Rob.

willysmb.zip

Rob,

I tested the update this morning and it was better, but the jeep still appeared skeletal but darker.  For your information I'm running your MOD with the hotfix and War in the West.  Hope this helps.

Falcon41

Off_Winters
19 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

I tested the update this morning and it was better, but the jeep still appeared skeletal but darker.  For your information I'm running your MOD with the hotfix and War in the West.  Hope this helps.

Falcon41

Hi Falcon,

Thats a bit weird, I double checked Detcords files in the War in the West MOD and it does not use that file at all, so having the War in the West mod installed should not impact the jeep. And now that my retextured jeep (brown paint) is using the stock aplha channel it should in theory display correctly.

Could you please try something for me. navigate to the jeep texture and change the name to willysmb_orig.dds and then reload the desert addon. this will mean the desert addon is running but the game will be using the stock default texture for the jeep. if its still skeletal in appearance then, then its an issue with the original game texture file setup. if the problem goes away then I have some more searching to do on what I need to change in my edited texture.

Secondly could you email me or attach here the mission files that you are seeing this happening in. then I can see it for myself and try to work through it.

thanks, regards Rob.

Rob,

I did as you suggested and changed the name of the Jeep file, reloaded your MOD, but the Jeep, although darker, remained transparent or skeletal.  I’ve sent you an e-mail with the attached mission files where this has occurred as requested.

Regards

Bill

Off_Winters
8 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

I did as you suggested and changed the name of the Jeep file, reloaded your MOD, but the Jeep, although darker, remained transparent or skeletal.  I’ve sent you an e-mail with the attached mission files where this has occurred as requested.

Regards

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I will check them out after work, and see what I can find.

regards Rob

Off_Winters

G'day Bill,

I loaded your mission first without the desert mod loaded and seen the jeep next to the flag pole and it looked fine. I then installed the desert mod and flew the mission again. I stepped through to the jeep by the flag pole on the start airbase and it again looked fine, no transparency evident. I then used the F5 key to step through every vehicle, gun site etc to make sure I was not missing something.

Can you please try the following uninstall all mods and then run your mission and see if the jeep improves? if it does then please just install the desert mod and see if the jeep remains unaffected by the transparency issue.

this is the jeep I see with the desert mod installed.
image.thumb.png.e03b67b27c4d02dff622dbce851cb2b1.png

regards Rob.

Rob,

I’ve done as you’ve suggested and I still have the transparency issue.  Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me how to take a screenshot so I can forward to you what I’m seeing.  By the way the way the Jeep that has the transparency issue is located to the left of the P-40’s getting ready to takeoff, not the one located near the windsock. 

Bill

PS

I’ve sent an image via e-mail that should help as I figured out where the screenshots were kept.

Edited by Falcon41
Clarify

3 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me how to take a screenshot

When you have the view you want, press the Print Screen/SysRq' key.  You will find it just above the 'Insert' key on your keyboard.

See attached screenshot.  Some keyboards may have other names for it such as Print Scrn, Prnt Scrn, Prt Scrn, Prt Scn, Prt Scr, Prt Sc or Pr Sc,  It may or may not have the word 'SysRq' on it.

The screenshot will appear in your main game folder located at;

X:\ (drive where the game is installed) Program Files (x86)\IL-2 Sturmovik\Battle of Stalingrad\Screenshots.

if you have a Steam installation it is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik\Battle of Stalingrad \Screenshots.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Falcon41 said:

Thanks Beebop, but I found it quite by chance!  Go figure!

👍

Off_Winters
On 2/27/2021 at 2:17 AM, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

I’ve done as you’ve suggested and I still have the transparency issue.  Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me how to take a screenshot so I can forward to you what I’m seeing.  By the way the way the Jeep that has the transparency issue is located to the left of the P-40’s getting ready to takeoff, not the one located near the windsock. 

Bill

PS

I’ve sent an image via e-mail that should help as I figured out where the screenshots were kept.

Hi All,

Issue of the static_jeep has been solved, had a lower detail model incorrectly named which meant it showed at closer ranges. Thanks Falcon for working through it with me.

regards Rob.

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)

A few more P40 skins made up using the official template with some heavy edits, which now fill all the available official skin slots with historical accurate schemes, with revised in game menu screens and historical write ups to suit. And some random scenery shots.

regards Rob.

sweet bets5.jpg

64fs.jpg

daw scenery.jpg

daw scenery2.jpg

daw scenery3.jpg

daw scenery6.jpg

daw scenery7.jpg

fafl.jpg

menu.jpg

sweet bets.jpg

sweet bets2.jpg

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Upvote 1

chris455

Guys,

I like the mod, but just curious- how do I uninstall permanently from my hard drive if I ever wish to do so? Just use JSGME to "uninstall" it from the game, then delete the files from the MODS folder? Or?

Thanks! And beautiful work!

To permanently remove the mod, disable the mod via JSGME then if you want yes, delete the folder from 'MODS'. 

All JSGME does is re-direct the game to use the textures in the mod rather than the game textures which still reside in the game.  Otherwise a "direct install" would require that you search for the files in the game, remove then, then re-download the game to replace the files that were overwritten. 

I cannot imagine why anyone would use anything other than JSGME (or that other similar program) to install a mod.

(i also can't understand why anyone would want to deep-six this modit's some 70 USD cheaper than Tobruk and retains the flight fidelity of Great Battles, but maybe that;'s just me)

Falcon41

Bebop,

I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding this MOD.  I purchased “Tobruk” and was really disappointed, but when this MOD was released my interest in a campaign in the desert was raised, particularly with all the fidelity in the basic sim.

Falcon41

chris455
On 3/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, Beebop said:

To permanently remove the mod, disable the mod via JSGME then if you want yes, delete the folder from 'MODS'. 

All JSGME does is re-direct the game to use the textures in the mod rather than the game textures which still reside in the game.  Otherwise a "direct install" would require that you search for the files in the game, remove then, then re-download the game to replace the files that were overwritten. 

I cannot imagine why anyone would use anything other than JSGME (or that other similar program) to install a mod.

(i also can't understand why anyone would want to deep-six this modit's some 70 USD cheaper than Tobruk and retains the flight fidelity of Great Battles, but maybe that;'s just me)

Beebop,

Please know I too think the mode is great. No reflection on the mod or it's quality when I asked how to delete. Thank you for the response-

Stonehouse

Rob suggested I should post up something about how the renaming of the map locations is going.

Just some background first though, I spent a lot of time trying to find a section of Nth African coastline that (a) matched up roughly to what we see in the Kuban map and (b) corresponded to an area of WW2 interest. Not surprisingly I guess I didn't have much success until I realised that if I rotated a jpg of Kuban somewhat I got roughly close to the coastline of Tunisia giving me an approximation of the region running from Djerba to Tunis, although it doesn't have the Cap Bon peninsula plus some other features. It did seem close enough however to try to give renaming locations a go with the aim of ending up with a usable faux Tunisian Campaign map. This was about Nov 2020.

Move forward through about 3 months of looking at normal and sat maps on the internet and looking at ww2 history and using the editor to look at terrain (finding a Kasserine location that gave something like both the terrain features and strategic reqs as well as being roughly right in relationship to other locations was a real pain) resulting in the final draft map below. Apologies for the way it looks I am not a graphics tool user really and pretty much worked in Paint adding names to my WIP pic and keeping track in a spreadsheet.

As you can see it is rotated compared to the in game map. I worked with it like this because it made it easier for me to compare it to the real world location. There definitely are compromises in what you see below and even though my aim was to try to keep the spacial relationship between locations roughly correct there were times when it just wasn't possible. Particularly the inland locations were difficult to manage. After all - it is Kuban flipped not Tunisia.

So happy to hear constructive comments and feedback but do realise that it has taken 3-4 months of work to get to this point and that at best it will only ever be an approximation of Tunisia. Therefore, while I tried to keep locations which were important to history, some didn't make it or are not quite where perhaps they should be in reality. Airfields are particularly not historically correct as quite a few were just temporary LGs in the real world and I only had the locations available already in the Kuban map.

Anyway, obviously in game we will see the non rotated map, this will mean mission builders need to translate history a bit so that N & NE (the Allies main directions of movement, Mareth to Tunis and from Algeria to Tunis)  becomes S & SE in game, please keep this in mind when looking at the attached. Hopefully people generally like what they see and are looking forward to doing missions over Tunisia.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

PS - you may need to click on the image to get past the thumbnail and then save it and view it outside the forum to be able to zoom in and read names. 

small kuban-tunisia draft final 070321.jpg

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia

Good evening guys,

I find this world excellent and I thank greatly all the creators who participated in this beautiful work.

I have just two questions, the first being that I still have the normal trees of the Kuban Autumn map despite the use of JSGME and the Beta 3 and 3.1 version as well as the patch "trees" I do not understand why when comparing with this video:

1874755889_M4A3pardefautdumodetarbrespersistants.thumb.jpg.113b2f38686e4ba0d0f517b38785fbf8.jpg

The second question is that it is impossible for me to change the livery of the M4A2, it is always the basic one of the mod that appears 

Edited by Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia

Stonehouse

Can't help you with the livery question but I believe that the trees patch adds the trees back to the mod. So if you uninstall the trees patch you will have no trees as I think you want? So if you just do beta 3 and 3.1 hotfix and do not do the optional trees patch you get the treeless desert landscape.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

...the trees patch adds the trees back to the mod. So if you uninstall the trees patch you will have no trees as I think you want? So if you just do beta 3 and 3.1 hotfix and do not do the optional trees patch you get the treeless desert landscape.

That is correct.  The "tree patch" was supplied by Off_Winters for those who would want trees.  (but why?  it IS a desert after all).

But since we can't have palm trees, you might want someplace for your camel to cool off, so..... 😉

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1

Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia

Indeed it is necessary not to put the file "trees" so that they are not displayed, whereas it is 15 days that I record video shots by avoiding all the trees to have a desert aspect. Thanks again for your quick answers.

I still need to know how to replace the default M4A2 skin on the Mod to be able to use it:

M4A3 British livrée désert 1.jpg

Edited by Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia
  • Like 1

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2021 at 10:53 PM, Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia said:

I still need to know how to replace the default M4A2 skin on the Mod to be able to use it:

M4A3 British livrée désert 1.jpg

Hi Alicha62, great looking skin you have.

The default M4 skin lives in the vehicles folder.

If you navigate to this folder:

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_4\data\graphics\vehicles\_M4A2

and change its name to ie _M4A2_orig.

before starting, uninstall MOD with jsgme, then change folder name and then reinstall with jsgme.

the game will not see my M4 skin even with the mod installed now. then you should now be able to see the skin you need for your videos. Although you should be able to select your player tank skin via the custom skins tab. 

You could also place your skin into the folder outlined above making sure you have the same file names and your skin would then be the default M4 skin in game while the mod is installed.

EDIT....

You will also need to do the same for this folder, for the default M4 skin, I forgot you will need to change this folder as well. the one I directed you too before was the player drivable version.

this one is the true default M4 skin location.
IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_4\data\graphics\vehicles\m4a2

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
added in second folder location.
  • Like 1

Off_Winters

Hi All,

A little bit more work,

Thanks to Meplanes1969 for the use of several of his base effects textures so that we now have revised ground strikes for bullets and cannon shells showing yellow sandy dust in the sand areas and more traditional darker textures for dark earth and structures vehicles, ships etc.

The Russian names on the ingame maps are pretty much all gone now with only a handful of textures remaining to be edited. then its onto adding in the new names researched by 457_Stonehous as detailed a few posts up. this may seem a trivial part of the project, but I think once completed it will add a lot to the feel of the game. with 420 individual textures to be photoshopped to remove the Russian text its been no small task, now having to place back in to those textures approximately 270 locations.

I've reworked some of the static vehicles and aircraft, mostly alpha channel work to improve appearance along with some new desert colour schemes and historical markings added in. As well as making more historically correct schemes for several aircraft.

below you can see the yellow dust of the bullet strikes along side the road and then the lighter dust of the strikes hitting the road.
image.png.34051089f40611c2f2c55998410630bb.png

image.thumb.png.d495b95fd0c4ae08f5694e25e5dd28b2.png

compared to stock bullet strikes

image.png.14ecbf2497d15cd957c7087346fa46e3.png

Arty strikes also lightened up a bit to match the lighter earth colour rather than the dark browns of the stock files.
image.png.833edc0c1c3afaa4f67c7b3d88d14925.png

image.thumb.png.459d93f8c955a34a4e03b379abc3a7b3.png

and lastly some rework to the beaches and thanks again to Meplanes1969 for the use of his default.dds texture which uses yellow and oranges to give subtle hues to the ground tiles proper. much better than the stock file with its blotchy reds, purples browns and greens. this will be evident for people who like low flying.

1248081743_Screenshot2021-03-20015700.thumb.jpg.7f18d6d0e0bcc277cab28de92670b43e.jpg

my aim is to release update 4 early next week.

regards Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Falcon41

Rob,

This MOD is looking better all the time and I’m looking forward to your next release.  Thanks for all your work and that of the others who have added to this MOD.

Regards,

Bill

1 hour ago, Off_Winters said:

this may seem a trivial part of the project

😲  There ain't no such thing!  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is trivial in this high of quality mod.  With the high attention to detail that both you and meplanes provide, you are effectively making "Tobruk Desert Wings" Great Battles style.  This will be an EPIC addition to the game.

Thanks to both you and meplanes for your dedicated and diligent work in providing us with essentially a new theater of play.

(now if you could only turn the map upside down so it appeared more like the North African coast for the ingame maps)

:good:THANK YOU 👍 THANK YOU 🏆 T H A N K  Y O U!!! ❤️

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)

Just a small change, the picture/screenshot is pretty ordinary as I took a picture of the monitor (for some reason screen shots of the main menu dont com out well anymore)

Anyway the view outside the hanger door as a camera panned around in the main game menu hanger showing green grass just looked out of place in a desert environment. Its now got a view across one of the airfields within the mod. looks much more believable.

In game the outside texture is much crisper than what the picture portrays here.
image.thumb.png.fb76edd2b687392b2e20deca8aa959a8.png

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jollyjack

I posted some RAAF "afrika' b25D and a20 skins for download on haluter's site:

Aussie a20b Desert camo JJ.jpg

B25_RAAF-1b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Stonehouse

Probably some South African Air Force A20s (Bostons) would be quite useful too if you are willing. SAAF 12, 21 or 24 sqd. Other B25 units in Tunisa are USAAF 12BG/81, 82, 83 or 434

• Upvote 1

Off_Winters

For when you just need to do a wee bit of sight seeing, or slip over the road to see ya mates. What better than a captured squadron hack to do the job..

A reasonably common practice in the equipment starved theatre of Nth Africa, pressing captured machinery into second line roles.

image.thumb.png.5d075241a8aacd53bf4d9a6b1d32af8e.png

image.thumb.png.3b2edfadd0e3db0ef01ad2fb7c13ede9.png

And finally managed to track down the last German truck that was still showing up with its grey paint. Turns out the model file was the Ford truck (not one that jumps out as German use LOL) in the vehicles folder.

764176195_fordtruck.jpg.3863efd161405fca56a265f666468f8e.jpg

• Haha 1

Off_Winters

A light armed reconnaissance version for the Regia Aeronautica.
lrcon.jpg.1d1e61ca58700cc82da0634ac1b85915.jpg

jollyjack

I just installed the lot, and each boot of the game i get the gunner popping up like this with a a20.

I used my own RAAF skin BTW, but what can be the cause? He probably wont be able to shoot any boogieman like this ...

CORRECTION, the gunners gun shoots OK; "look, no hands ma!'

ADDED: without the mod active Harry sits on his ass as usual ....

Harry is ready Africa MOD_2.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

What other mods do you have enabled?  I've had that too even without the North Africa mod enabled.

IIRC it was a mod that had been affected by an update. 

If any other mods are enabled remove all but N. Africa and see if it persists.  If not, enable mods one at a time until your rear gunner stands up and shout's "THAT'S THE ONE!".

Stonehouse

I think it is the same issue that was found with the mod for converting USSR crew to RAF - if you look over in that thread Rob gives some instructions for a temp fix. 

13 minutes ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

I think it is the same issue that was found with the mod for converting USSR crew to RAF

YES!  That was the one. 

But if I'm correct the last update gives you proper crews for USAAF and RAF planes.

I think.

Stonehouse

I think he included the same mod separately in the Nth Africa mod so it hasn't had any fix. So I guess you could perhaps load the latest USSR-RAF mod after the Nth Africa mod and see if it fixes it

jollyjack

I am trying too find the clue; mean while i started a non historical mission with a fictional Rommel base to attack,

but still haven't found the proper location .. Could use some help LoL.

Maybe moving infantry MOD is the problem?

Edited by jollyjack

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021