Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

Hi All,

one more vehicle done, and toned down the fuel truck colour a bit, to reflect Beebop's observation it looked a bit to yellow.

image.thumb.png.b8ed81d1d910fa21ac57f49963236c43.png

regards Rob.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deacon352nd said:

When will this update be released. Us old guys need a Christmas present!

Hi Deacon,

I will be releasing on Christmas eve (Australian time).

regards Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,

A bit more refining to vehicles, toned down colour even more. working up a desert schemes for C47 and a whole heap of little bits and pieces around static vehicles and aircraft.

The question was asked (above) about which static Russian aircraft models I had swapped out with US and RAF types. this is the list.

yak 1 (open and closed) = P40 (RAF)

pe2 (closed) = (P40 RAF)

pe2 (open) = (B25 USA)

i16 = P39 (RAF)

IL2 = Spitfire IX (USA)

ladd3 = Spitfire IX (RAF)

mig3 = Spitfire IX (RAF)

U2VS = Spitfire IX (RAF)
if you select the Russian model in the mission builder you will see in game the listed counter part. and for QC and auto generated missions that use the Russian static planes you'll again see the listed counter parts in game. for the static aircraft I have applied Desert markings to all the allied planes and have started with the German texture sheets.

I've also swapped out static Russian vehicles with like type US and Brit models and applied desert markings.

regards Rob.

image.png.0a18c463e52a43a31ac93cb901dd73b5.png

image.png.9334d0755354927a719018f313c3bee7.png

image.png.1e79325cf91f05cc3a10546a1383322c.png

image.png.18289480cc9ea06e8aa008c8d7dcae11.png

image.thumb.png.895045860944414062a71e70251cb7cb.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi All,

A bit more refining to vehicles, toned down colour even more. working up a desert schemes for C47 and a whole heap of little bits and pieces around static vehicles and aircraft.

The question was asked (above) about which static Russian aircraft models I had swapped out with US and RAF types. this is the list.

yak 1 (open and closed) = P40 (RAF)

pe2 (closed) = (P40 RAF)

pe2 (open) = (B25 USA)

i16 = P39 (RAF)

IL2 = Spitfire IX (USA)

ladd3 = Spitfire IX (RAF)

mig3 = Spitfire IX (RAF)

U2VS = Spitfire IX (RAF)
if you select the Russian model in the mission builder you will see in game the listed counter part. and for QC and auto generated missions that use the Russian static planes you'll again see the listed counter parts in game. for the static aircraft I have applied Desert markings to all the allied planes and have started with the German texture sheets.

I've also swapped out static Russian vehicles with like type US and Brit models and applied desert markings.

regards Rob.

image.png.0a18c463e52a43a31ac93cb901dd73b5.png

image.png.9334d0755354927a719018f313c3bee7.png

image.png.1e79325cf91f05cc3a10546a1383322c.png

image.png.18289480cc9ea06e8aa008c8d7dcae11.png

image.thumb.png.895045860944414062a71e70251cb7cb.png

Thank you so much. That is amazing. Fantastic work,

Hi All,

worked up a couple of Spitfire  IX skins, one to replace the default Russian scheme and one to replace the first of the Russian skins in the selection list. this means any spawned MkIX's will have a desert themed skin in QC or missions that do not have a specific skin selected.

Default skin, using the same imaginary code letters of AI that was used in the 1969 movie The Battle of Britain. they did that to honour all squadrons by not having any one historic squadron depicted. I thought that was a good idea. 

image.thumb.png.b07173bdbb901c3c8038e548084b5625.png

81 Squadron MkIX EN199

image.thumb.png.98ad924b4b9eec0d6f6e6551bd9f0a21.png

image.png.a03e98ade6d61f5f8db7519106d6e8ef.png

and a revamped historical description section for the stock game USAAF desert MkIX

image.png.515198a65210d281853a3237c19a1eb5.png

one of the static models, P38 in desert skin (and you can also see the static B25 and P40 in the background) and the Russian troops pretending to be Americans.

image.thumb.png.e6cfb8b3665ebcde8084c4bc3afbbb00.png

I'm still working on a few bits and pieces, but still plan to release next beta version today.

regards Rob. 

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

Default skin, using the same imaginary code letters of AI that was used in the 1969 movie The Battle of Britain. they did that to honour all squadrons by not having any one historic squadron depicted. I thought that was a good idea.

I did not know that and I agree, a good idea.  Excellent thinking on your part.

(i'm going to hover over this thread until it's release.) 🚁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

(i'm going to hover over this thread until it's release.) 🚁

It's uploading to medifire now. will post link and update shortly.

regards Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I have just updated the first post to link to the latest Beta-3.0 files. I hope everybody has a safe and happy Christmas.

regards Rob.

• Thanks 3

:yahoo::clapping:👍🏆🏅😎

THANK YOU!

What a wonderful Christmas present.

Take the rest of the year off, seriously.  You DESERVE it!!

Now if you'll pardon me, I'm going to get a tan.

The colors are fantastic.  You can feel the "heat" of the desert just by being outside your plane or tank.  One comment though - I was not able to see, although I chose< my personal tank skin.  It defaulted to the one you made and it had a British flag on the back with the "995" on the side.  I was able to choose and see my personal plane skins but not the tank skin.

Is there a way I can substitute my skin for what appears to be the default?

Rob,

Great work and Happy Holidays!  I’m building a set of missions based on the Tuskegee airmen experiences while stationed in Tunisia.  I started with the Stalingrad map; however, when I saw your Desert map I quickly switched to it.  If you’d like I can send you some once I determine how to send them as I’ve never done it before.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again KUDOS to a great job.

Falcon

Just finished a tour of the property.

😮WOW!😮

Even better than I expected.  And to think this is just Beta3!  Absolutely nothing to quibble about knowing that it's not finished.  So anything that I might have to say is moot and will most likely be "fixed" in upcoming versions.

And a word about the colors...I know I have made a lot of comments about the colors of certain things but at this point all have been addressed.  Personally I am VERY satisfied with the results.

Folks, if you are strapped for cash or have considered CloD/Tobruk, give this a try.  With the great desert default skins, desert camo artillery, vehicles and soldiers plus Afrika Korps trains, it's just as good IMO. 

No, it's not a real desert map, no there aren't a plethora of planes but...you have the fidelity of IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles with all it's graphic goodness and the ability to use VR!!

If you already have CloD/Tobruk, give this a look-see.  I think you will be impressed.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Deacon352nd said:

The colors are fantastic.  You can feel the "heat" of the desert just by being outside your plane or tank.  One comment though - I was not able to see, although I chose< my personal tank skin.  It defaulted to the one you made and it had a British flag on the back with the "995" on the side.  I was able to choose and see my personal plane skins but not the tank skin.

Is there a way I can substitute my skin for what appears to be the default?

Hi Deacon,

for the tank skin, theres a couple of ways of getting your skin back.

1. If you installed your tank skin using jsgme, uninstall and then re-install after you have activated the desert mod.

2. Take my sherman skin out of the desert mod. Uninstall the desert mod with jsgme. Then navigate to the desert mod folder. Go to the folder location.
MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_3\data\graphics\vehicles\_M4A2\textures. This texture folder just rename it to something like textures_orig. then reinstall the desert mod with jsgme. You should now see your personal skin in game when driving the Sherman.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
corrected the path for the M4 tank folder

14 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

Great work and Happy Holidays!  I’m building a set of missions based on the Tuskegee airmen experiences while stationed in Tunisia.  I started with the Stalingrad map; however, when I saw your Desert map I quickly switched to it.  If you’d like I can send you some once I determine how to send them as I’ve never done it before.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again KUDOS to a great job.

Falcon

Hi Falcon,

Thanks mate, and happy Christmas to you as well. I would really like to try some of your missions. the easiest way would be to zip them up and send them in an email. my email address is at the bottom of the readme file included with the Beta-3 files.

regards Rob.

Great work on this,has made my Malta mod so much better with all the repaints etc.

I am still working on a few small things ( like the airfields I have made better in the last few days )

Happy Xmas and please keep up all the good work in 2021 🥳

• Like 1

Thanks so much Rob. Like I said this mod is fantastic. My group is back to fighting Rommel in the desert again. I’ve adapted the Kuban map and found the perfect place for the Kasserine Pass and this time he gets the surprise. 

• Like 1

@Deacon - just trying to work in place names so interested to hear where you've decided to put Kasserine Pass if you don't mind providing the info? 

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Finally installed and tested this mod last night, awesome, I have to say.:cool:

Everything looks really good colour wise and with the skins adds to a superb experience, thank you very much, really appreciated.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

" The main work has been the retexturing of ground files to replicate the look of something similar to Tunisia/Libya landscapes. "

:rolleyes:

Any wide view screenshots ?

1 hour ago, esk_pedja said:

Any wide view screenshots ?

1151524893_Screenshot2020-12-27010039.thumb.jpg.bae294746862e24ffcdeec21523034e8.jpg1647792172_Screenshot2020-12-27010118.thumb.jpg.44eedce0015f3ed3ac6ada2d94d666a7.jpg2017777575_Screenshot2020-12-27010200.thumb.jpg.eb7c630956574d200f0d9eed308adf22.jpg770912759_Screenshot2020-12-27010415.thumb.jpg.ad78dad004a05e591b3ff29ae69f2084.jpg1925198347_Screenshot2020-12-27005849.thumb.jpg.b9be8ca78610defae556c2e60046ec3a.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-27 005944.jpg

1563100333_Screenshot2020-12-27011439.thumb.jpg.18b03a006b0b6387dca6ac9192dc8505.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-27 010307.jpg

Edited by Off_Winters
removed swaz stika

Stonehouse,

If you look on the Kuban map, here is where I placed the Kasserine Pass:

Grid 1624 kp 1,2,4 and grid 1625 kp 6, 9

I have a template mission with all the "Tunisian" cities around the Pass that we use but any mission maker can use what they want.  By template mission, I mean this is the basic mission setup on which I place anything else that I want, i.e. planes, tanks, blocks, etc.

Kuban North Africa City layout.rar

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Deacon352nd said:

Stonehouse,

If you look on the Kuban map, here is where I placed the Kasserine Pass:

Grid 1624 kp 1,2,4 and grid 1625 kp 6, 9

….

Thanks Deacon, I'll see what I can do with that. The real Kasserine is much further inland than that and while I know my mapping of kuban locations will result in a completely fictional result I was hoping to generally keep the spatial sense of places. Anyway will see what comes out in the end. No doubt it will be a reiteration of refinements over time.

1 hour ago, moralpanic said:

Can you use this mod with PWCG?

Hi Moralpanic,
I can not think of a reason why this would not work with the PWCG application. all the file names etc are the same its just the textures and visual models that have been swapped. For instance, If the PWCG assigned a Russian T34 in game you would see a British Sherman, Russian infantry would be displaying the pseudo USA uniform. the only short coming is that when you destroy that Sherman the game message will say a T34 has been killed. for static items like aircraft and vehicles I have swapped out Russian types for UK and USA types, so airfields would show British and US trucks and aircraft sitting on and moving around the airfield if the PWCG assigned them.

I used the other quick mission generator that has been released (SYNvander I think it was) and it worked well.

regards Rob.

Thanks @Off_Winters, I'll go ahead and install PWGC to experiment with then. And I'll also have a look at the other quick mission generator (which I did not know about - thanks for the bonus answer!)

Cheers.

• Like 1

I realize that the Kasserine Pass was further from the coast but it was perfect for any ambush and also when making missions for my group, the mission had to allow tanks to travel whatever distances within a reasonable period of time. I had them off loaded at the coast and then traveling inland to staging areas in missions before an action in further missions around Kasserine and Faid. 
But as I said, any mission maker can change or adapt it any way they choose. This area worked best for my group. 
Meplanes, I’ll post some shots today. 

• Upvote 1

Here are some screenshots from the Kasserine Pass.  They really don't do it justice.  The roadway has massive hills and/or mountains on each side of it from its entrance to the end.  the best way to evaluate it is to just make a mission with the tank on either end and go through it.  The first is looking East from Sidi Bun Zid.  the second is looking East from grid 1624kp9 and the last is looking West from grid 1625kp4 just before the entrance to the Pass.

looking East from Sidi Bon Zid.jpg

looking East from 1624kp9.jpg

looking West from 1625kp4.jpg

Edited by Deacon352nd
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021