Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

Thanks, yep on the 3 counts, ships-rule they say that is here. Still downloading your version ... i'l post here when it works later.  ==>  BINGO, it works !!!

Not a camel insight, but this damage model looks great ...

Now up for some exploring and desert Mission making .... maybe some non historical fantasy FC1 stuff? We have a Camel already called Sopwith.

Kuban Desert Kill.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 11:52 AM, jollyjack said:

maybe some non historical fantasy FC1 stuff?

Biplanes in the Middle East?  OHHH YEA

I already have a Russian Lebed XII

Lebed-XII-0.jpg

and an Iragi Hawker Audax

Iraqui-Hawker-Audax-1.jpg

hacked for the Po-2.

Bring it on!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Glad you got it squared away. Did you determine what the issue was?

There was a texture missing in the original RAR file, but not in your zipped one; that worked ...

4 hours ago, Beebop said:

Biplanes in the Middle East?  OHHH YEA

and an Iragi Hawker Audax

Iraqui-Hawker-Audax-1.jpg

hacked for the Po-2.

Bring it on!

Ah, the Yellow Jackets on the job.

BTW the Halberstadt c2 is a 'better' crate, faster, bombs more destructive, alas no rockets. 

Hi All,

whilst testing (which I usually do in an allied plane) I realized that because the mod uses a Russian map as a base, the enemy forces when flying as an Axis pilot would be Russian models shown (when flying quick combat, mission builders can over come this by specifying correct forces). to this end I have been swapping out the Russian models with equivalent models from UK and US where available. I wish we had more allied tanks available to pad out the selection, for the moment the M4 is standing in for about 6 different Russian tanks. I can mix it up a bit with varying paint schemes for each to break the monotony. 

So now when you fly as an Axis pilot you see something more inline with Nth Africa than Russia theatre of ops.

Unfortunately there is not an equivalent hi-level animated soldier model to swap out, so it will have to be a uniform repaint to try and make the Russian soldier look a little more 8th army looking.  You see English or American soldiers in the vehicles etc, but once you damage one and the occupants flee then it reverts to the Russian model. This can be corrected in the future as I'm sure there will be hi-level animated US and English infantry models once Normandy is released.

Slowly reworking paint schemes to be Desert themed for the allied vehicles.

regards Rob.

image.png.bc8909eb85e016d73ecc2872a1965dff.pngimage.png.230fdcf596d76b7750787364145fc73a.png

image.png.5c8b218261295617c135d289895698b6.png

image.png.ffd9392af491ae3d23d33df43fa6a0e9.png

image.png.fcb8a77c1dd814ec535c0f8df569cc32.png

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

😮:clapping::yahoo:

WOW!  This IS going to be good!

Be sure to open up a "coffee shop" so we can share a cuppa java and show our appreciation for all your hard work.

You are definitely going above and beyond the call.

:thank_you:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pretty sure A20s in RAF service were known as Boston's. Particularly the South African air force used them in the Western Desert. Haven't checked the validity of the following but think it is ok

image.png.e56f075d580c40247629ccb54aee7980.png

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

I was looking for WW2 Allies Bombers and North Africa.

Seems there were no British A20s, only US a20s and B25s.

WIKI info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_African_Tactical_Air_Force

Some guys from down under had really big ones:

Royal_Air_Force-_Italy,_the_Balkans_and_South_East_Europe,_1942-1945._CNA2491.jpg

Hi JollyJack,

There were plenty of RAF bombers over there (albeit outdated ones), but the Boston's (A20) were operated by the SAAF (3 SA Wing) in cooperation with the RAF as part of the Western Desert Airforce.  RAF squadrons tended to use Blenheim's, Baltimore's, Maryland's and Wellingtons.

regards Rob.

• Upvote 1

Updated the pilot changes I made earlier that replaced the Russian pilots with UK or USA pilots, to use the latest pilot files from the recent update. The new pilot animations included in the update look great. and having the P39 use the more complex models now, looks much nicer in game.

In quick combat (or missions for that matter if the country hasn't been set to UK or USA) when flying planes with a Russian designation (P40, Spitfire,s P39, A20 etc) you now see UK and USA pilot figures rather than Russian pilots.

image.thumb.png.ebce91ff50a2caffd53c789ab176da7c.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Re-download from the OP (first) post?

Hi JollyJack,

I haven't uploaded yet, just one more thing I've changed recently. my plan is to release update Beta-3 on Christmas eve.

regards Rob.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice Warning .....

Desert Warning.jpg

-------------------

PS been messing with skins regarding your desert ... could this be 'historically true" Seral numbers i haven't seen any pics of RAAF coding yet.

Aussie a20b Desert camo JJ.jpg

Aussie a20b Desert camo-02 JJ.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

PS been messing with skins regarding your desert ... could this be 'historically true" Seral numbers i haven't seen any pics of RAAF coding yet.

Hi Jollyjack,

nice looking skin. the boxing Kangaroo was used by a number of pilots as nose art on all sorts of different aircraft. The national markings you have there are for the Pacific region (red dot was removed from white center of roundals to avoid confusion with Japanese markings, but initially they just used the standard national markings), in Europe and the Middle east RAAF units used the same national markings as the RAF. 

We never used the Boston in the middle east, but we did use them in the Pacific. the squadron BS is not one I'm familiar with, I've seen BK, BQ, BP and a few others.

for aircraft serial numbers the RAAF used a aircraft designation number (Boston was A28) then the aircraft serial number. these are some of the serial numbers that have been researched on another site for Bostons that served with RAAF.

regards Rob..

DB-7B's
A28-1 DU-A
A28-2 None lost before ops
A28-3 C (a couple of people believe "D" and definetly NOT "Y" as is in many publications, pretty significant as this is the machine Bill Newton and crew were lost in!)
A28-4 E
A28-5 DU-F
A28-6 DU-G
A28-7 DU-H
A28-8 DU-J
A28-9 DU-K
A28-10 DU-L
A28-11 DU-M
A28-12 N?
A28-13 O
A28-14 P
A28-15 DU-Q
A28-16 DU-R
A28-17 none lost before ops
A28-18 DU-Y (delivered to sqn Jan 44 hence letter out of sync and after the A-20C's)
A28-19 none lost before ops
A28-20 W?
A28-21 X
A28-22 Y
the single letter code aircraft were lost before Jun/Jul 43 when the DU codes were added

A-20C's
A28-23 DU-O
A28-24 DU-P
A28-25 DU-N (this aircraft was delivered to the Sqn before the previous 2 hence out of sequence)
A28-26 lost before ops
A28-27 DU-R ? (Not sure on this one)
A28-28 DU-U
A28-29 DU-V ?
A28-30 DU-W
A28-31 Never went to sqn no code issued (would have been DU-X)
(A28-18 DU-Y fits in here issued to Sqn after the A-20C's arrived)

A-20A's only 2 x A-20A's ever used on ops with Sqn
A28-34 DU-B
A28-35 DU-C?

Start again with the "G" models
A-20G's
A28-50 DU-A
A28-51 DU-?
A28-52 DU-C
A28-53 DU-D
A28-54 DU-E
A28-55 ?
A28-56 ?
A28-57 DU-J
A28-58 DU-K
A28-59 DU-M
A28-60 DU-P
( up till the delivery of the first 11 A-20G's from 3AD, A28-5 DU-F, A28-6 DU-G, A28-7 DU-H ,A28-10 DU-L, A28-18 DU-Y , A28-23 DU-O, A28-24 DU-P , A28-25 DU-N, A28-28 DU-U and A28-DU-W still on strength as more "G" models arrive the older aircraft were retired and the codes reissued)
A28-61 DU-?
A28-62 DU-?
A28-63 DU-T
A28-64 DU-N
A28-65 DU-G
A28-66 DU-H
A28-67 DU-V
A28-68 DU-X
A28-69 thru A28-74 never used on ops by Sqn no codes issued
A28-75 DU-A?
A28-76 DU-?
A28-77 DU-?
A28-78 DU-R

L,O,U and W never issued to G models as A28-10,23,28 and 30 were still on sqn strength after last G models issued

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Thanks 1

DU, DownUnder?

Wow, thanks for the info ...were there any number/letter strings as seen with US planes usually on the tail rudder or pitch fins? f.i. the EJ704 here:

Tempest JJ_WPZ.jpg

Was going to do some searching on some other RAAF planes too. B25?

Lets hope for some IL2 Mediteranean or Pacific map stuff, also including the Catalina accidentally shot down by a Yank.

Edited by jollyjack

28 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

DU, DownUnder?

Wow, thanks for the info ...were there any number/letter strings as seen with US planes usually on the tail rudder or pitch fins? f.i. the EJ704 here:

Was going to do some searching on some other RAAF planes too. B25?

Lets hope for some IL2 Mediteranean or Pacific map stuff, also including the Catalina accidentally shot down by a Yank.

Hi JollyJoker,

for the serial number you are thinking of, on the A20 it would be A28-1078 (A28 is the aircraft type designation, the 1078 is the serial number)

B25's yep the RAAF flew them, 2 squadron comes to mind which had squadron codes KO-, and aircraft designation number of A47, example serial number A47-23 = 23rd aircraft assigned to RAAF books.
ADF Serials - Mitchell (adf-serials.com.au)

or the joint 18 (NEI) squadron , a Dutch unit with Australian and Dutch personnel under RAAF control in the Pacific after Java and Timor fell in 1942.
No. 18 (Netherlands East Indies) Squadron RAAF - Wikipedia

Would like to see a proper PTO and Med one day, we live in hope...

regards Rob.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again, we need that b25 flyable LoL Definitely. And Malta. Cliffs of Malta? Before the ATAG guys ?

PS Half my family migrated down under around 52, but they weren't in the army; one uncle was already there earlier straight after a drafted military duty stint,

as a youngster after that awful Indonesia colonial business. Tore up his Dutch citizen papers and became Aussie, never came back.

Black pages in Dutch military history once again.

PS i PMd you the skins a2(*) made so far, can also send the PSD if needed.

Reworked a bit:

Aussie a20b Desert camo JJ.jpg

Aussie a20b Desert camo-02 JJ.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 1

Looks good except a little greenish, at least on my monitor which usually gives me pretty accurate color.

I have been unable to find any color photos of RAAF B-25's in a desert environment. Wings Palette (a notoriously unreliable source) only shows Brown OD over Balck, RAF style and one that is. well. bright RAF green overall.  None of them claim to be stationed in North Africa.  Unless someone comes up with a known scheme you might be on your own.

I would make it a light desert tan with possibly a pinkish undertone but that's just me

Otherwise it looks quite good..

Edited by Beebop
  • Thanks 1

YES!

Well done.👍

One small thing.  I haven't worked with the B-25 template, at least not yet, so there is a finflash on the inside of the rudder.  This type of thing sometimes happened with 1946 templates where the wrap was mirrored.

I don't believe inside rudder finflash's are correct as other examples of RAF/British Empire B-25's show them on the outside only, unless you have information to the contrary.

Edited by Beebop

2 hours ago, Beebop said:

I don't believe inside rudder finflash's are correct as other examples of RAF/British Empire B-25's show them on the outside only, unless you have information to the contrary.

You might be right (you're wife might disagree, but don't blame me) .. From Rob's article posted above:

B_25D_Mitchell_A47_6.sized.jpg

The yanks dooo it tooo:

B-25Cs-434th_BS_12BG_formation_over_coast_of_Libya_1942.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

7 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Saw this in passing while searching for something else b25j_5433.jpg

Can you upload the jpg? via 'choose files" It's not visible on my PC. thnx

13 hours ago, Beebop said:

Re: finflash's;  I stand corrected. (my parents told me to stand up straight) I like the dark brown B-25's!

Still working on this, but i cannot find on the PDF layout where this glass bubble's  whitish panel's coloring is set .... the red white lights are in the left upper corner

B25 TEMP2.jpg

B25 TEMP.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

I found your problem.
The rear gunner area is hard coded into the template and cannot be painted.
Here I have used my "Finder Tool" and you can see that it does not cover that area, indicating it is not accessible for painting.

B25-hardcoded-Part.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

another vehicle done, and a first pass at turning Russian soldiers into Americans. I've also changed out the static Russian aircraft (Yak's I16 etc etc) by replacing the models with P40's, Spitfires, Hurricanes, B25's etc. so that airfields look the part.

regards Rob.

image.thumb.png.4b001025ce1a6070dd968e4caf3ee3f5.png

image.png.fd64b1a3bee12dbe209cfc562fe102e6.png

image.png.0c6a147790c583b22f46e729ec399b7c.png

image.png.eafa65109740b2a0b92d806d52b7c740.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Rob,

If you can give us a list of those static aircraft model changes that you've done and which model translates to which, that would be super. I can then start pre-populating some airfields to save some time after the projected release of the next version. I have a mini-campaign set up for my online squadron to fly over the Xmas/New Year break starting on Sunday 27th.

Thanks in advance

PS - Fantastic work! It's almost like a whole expansion pack.

Edited by TP_Silk

Is it my color settings or does this look a little too yellowish?  The ground and that 109 look perfect.

image.png

Otherwise it really looks excellent.

Edited by Beebop

4 hours ago, Beebop said:

I found your problem.
The rear gunner area is hard coded into the template and cannot be painted.
Here I have used my "Finder Tool" and you can see that it does not cover that area, indicating it is not accessible for painting.

B25-hardcoded-Part.jpg

Now that's my favorite B25 skin! Can't it just be a background layer covering all?

2 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Now that's my favorite B25 skin! Can't it just be a background layer covering all?

Like if Pablo Picasso in his cubist period painted Assembly Ships?   🤣

Hey, if you want it I'll send it.

1 minute ago, Beebop said:

Like if Pablo Picasso in his cubist period painted Assembly Ships?   🤣

Hey, if you want it I'll send it.

It will scare off all fairies, goblins and boogiemen, including my wife i tell ya' Paddy.

PS Iv'e been trying once to change the looks of train stuff, but couldn't figure it out ... yet?

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021