Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

9 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

When you take a bird up without permission, you might as well have some fun.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005244.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005500.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005610.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005544.jpg

Hang on a sec, is that an externally flyable B-25?

Rob,

I'm in the process of building several Tuskegee Airman missions and noticed that the eu control tower with the mod activated looks like a skeleton, no outer walls of any color and outlines of windows.  Is there some correction that needs to be done?  Or should I use another building/structure for the control tower?  I've tried adding the control tower feature several times but it stills looks as if its only partially filled in.  Otherwise the MOD is great, by the way I've tried the "Greek Fire" scripted campaign with your MOD and it adds a new whole dimension to the campaign.

Looking forward to more add-ons.

Falcon

Edited by Falcon41
Correction to comment
On 11/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Beebop said:

Voice packs may be forthcoming.  Off_Winters is being very diligent with making this repaint very complete.

And yes, if you own the Hurricane you can fly it, and any other plane you own, on it.  But the campaign would need the Hurricane added to it.  With campaigns you can only fly the planes provided by the mission maker unless you are willing to open the campaign in the Mission Editor and make changes.  Not recommended for the uninitiated, possibly not even for the well versed. 

Tank Crew should also work on this too as long as you don't mind having a Sherman stand in for an Abrams, LOL!   Seriously you could have Afrika Korps tank missions on the map.

Again it's an "eye candy" repaint and does not affect gameplay in any way other than visually.

Alas , It doesn't appear that the Hurricane is available for Autumn Campaigns   ....yet. Maybe soon someone will figure a way to leverage it in?

Off_Winters
10 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

I'm in the process of building several Tuskegee Airman missions and noticed that the eu control tower with the mod activated looks like a skeleton, no outer walls of any color and outlines of windows.  Is there some correction that needs to be done?  Or should I use another building/structure for the control tower?  I've tried adding the control tower feature several times but it stills looks as if its only partially filled in.  Otherwise the MOD is great, by the way I've tried the "Greek Fire" scripted campaign with your MOD and it adds a new whole dimension to the campaign.

Looking forward to more add-ons.

Falcon

Hi Falcon,

I started to repaint the EU tower and I may have overdone the alpha channel on it (controls opacity, if to dark it becomes invisible in game). I haven't actually looked at the tower in game since I started the repaint. I'll take a look tonight and get a fix up soon. 

EDIT: yep just checked and the alpha is FUBAR... I'll finish the repaint this weekend and put up another update with the few other bits and pieces added in as well.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Upvote 1
Mysticpuma
Off_Winters
13 hours ago, Lemsip said:

Hang on a sec, is that an externally flyable B-25?

Hi Lemsip,

yes and no, it is a flyable B25, I ported all the AI B25 files over to the A20 folder, which worked mostly. the upper and lower turrets being the noticeable exception. I did this to see how far the external model had been taken, and how many systems would respond to player inputs. I was pleasantly surprised, all the external systems worked, gear, flaps, control surfaces, etc etc. The model has plenty of detail built into the externals.

Of course the real modelling work is in building the Virtual cockpit, and gunner stations so I'm not expecting it to be a player flyable aircraft anytime soon, but its definitely doable and progressed quite a long way already. time will tell.

I'd be happy with just a pilot position and AI gunners to get it released sooner rather than later and have gunner positions added over time in updates.

regards Rob.

PS the A20 VC sat quite nicely in the B25 allowing for internal flying as well, just for laughs.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Thanks 1
Mysticpuma
3 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi Lemsip,

yes and no, it is a flyable B25, I ported all the AI B25 files over to the A20 folder, which worked mostly. the upper and lower turrets being the noticeable exception. I did this to see how far the external model had been taken, and how many systems would respond to player inputs. I was pleasantly surprised, all the external systems worked, gear, flaps, control surfaces, etc etc. The model has plenty of detail built into the externals.

Of course the real modelling work is in building the Virtual cockpit, and gunner stations so I'm not expecting it to be a player flyable aircraft anytime soon, but its definitely doable and progressed quite a long way already. time will tell.

I'd be happy with just a pilot position and AI gunners to get it released sooner rather than later and have gunner positions added over time in updates.

regards Rob.

PS the A20 VC sat quite nicely in the B25 allowing for internal flying as well, just for laughs.

So for those not able to Mod, are you able to place the cockpit of the A20 and gun positions into the B-25?

Slightly but not much OT.

A quick comparison of map background ,color  & aircraft between Clod DWTobruk and the Tunisia Map presented here. Fun to see the differences, I think..

It would be nice to be able to use the Hurricane in a Campaign on the Autumn Kuban Map noe, even better when all the aircraft used in that campaign would be realistic for say 1942 Western desert/Malta time period...

2020_11_8__17_32_48 copy.jpg

shot_20201108_092545.jpg

2020_11_8__17_36_53 copy.jpg

shot_20201108_092557.jpg

Off_Winters
5 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

So for those not able to Mod, are you able to place the cockpit of the A20 and gun positions into the B-25?

Hi Puma,

The A20 cockpit sits in ok, and you can use it, although you see the glass shapes of the B25 external in addition to the A20 glass when looking straight ahead.
but the gunners positions do not work at all visually, the location point/node linking the two model parts together sits to high causing the gunner positions post to sit outside the main fuselage.

I only did it to see what it looked like, I never thought it would be a game usable change so to speak.

regards Rob.

352ndOscar

Looking at the side by side of DWTonruk and IL2 ground textures makes me wonder.  I looked at a lot of landscape photos of Tunisia.  The time of the NA action is mid-winter (ok, Oct-May) and the sun will be low in the sky.  The yellow ochre color matches well with this time of year in the southern areas.  In the high summer, the exact same terrain is more of a buff beige/pink.  Don’t get me wrong, your textures are great,   I’m just thinking about what they would look like with a bit more buff beige/pink coloring........

43 minutes ago, 352ndOscar said:

Looking at the side by side of DWTonruk and IL2 ground textures makes me wonder.  I looked at a lot of landscape photos of Tunisia.  The time of the NA action is mid-winter (ok, Oct-May) and the sun will be low in the sky.  The yellow ochre color matches well with this time of year in the southern areas.  In the high summer, the exact same terrain is more of a buff beige/pink.  Don’t get me wrong, your textures are great,   I’m just thinking about what they would look like with a bit more buff beige/pink coloring........

Nice idea. (although a lot of work).  There are two "winter" repaints of Kuban already, one for early winter, (the first one released) where the snow is patchy like after the first snowfall of the season and the "full winter" map where the 'snow' completely covers the landscape.

The only drawback,  ...it will add "Two Weeks" to this repaints release. 😁

rowdyb00t
5 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Nice idea. (although a lot of work).  There are two "winter" repaints of Kuban already, one for early winter, (the first one released) where the snow is patchy like after the first snowfall of the season and the "full winter" map where the 'snow' completely covers the landscape.

The only drawback,  ...it will add "Two Weeks" to this repaints release. 😁

If you replaced the winter Kuban file with the mod, this would give you the winter sky. However, the sun would rise too late and set too early because of the location. This however can be edited ( I can’t remember the file names though ). 

352ndOscar

Nah, the Autumn map is perfect because of the long/lat of Tunis vs Black Sea.  The Winter map is too much.  There are heavy cloud patterns that fit the need, especially with the cloud mod. I was just ruminating as to what the lighter buff beige/pink tones would look like......

No457_Stonehouse

In case it helps the Fallschirmjager chute seems a little off colour wise. Not sure if the Germans always had the chute in cammo or if it changed to suit the theatre. I've seen shots of the Crete landings which looked as is the chutes were single coloured (B&W pics) as well so it may have been something that evolved during the war. The second pic is of a captured chute from circa 1945.

Untitled.jpg.bf4eaba95d976b494a5522d94f1c5d26.jpg

image.png.67f9eca618d170b710f4a2bc98d0be44.png

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
meplanes1969

Enjoying your mod very much it enhances my early Malta mod very well.

when I done a defend train yard mission the train was painted out in German,is a allied repaint on the way?

you can check out the mission in my desert missions,I put your mod in JSGME first then I put my early Malta beta on top.

my aim is to try to swop the buildings around in the kuban cities template,I need more white stones buildings for the Malta area.

I look forward to your future work

All the mission objects are set up to be American including the train,the mission is to defend the train yard from German attack planes

Edited by meplanes1969
S
Off_Winters

Hi All,

Stonehouse, yes I agree the parachute looks to gaudy and bright, I'll tone down the colours to be more in line with the picture you have above. you got me thinking about the allied parachute, it too is a bit off. I have done a super quick touch up.

meplanes, thanks glad its working in with your work. the German train repaint at the moment is actually set to the British train. In quick combat no matter who you fly for you see the British train as your enemy. so I swapped the model over so I could see and check the repaint the work in QC.  I will change the models back once I have finished the repaint. then you'll see the correct markings on each train in missions etc.

regards Rob.

image.png.f69b88377b9fcad5ba1d5ee6cc235a75.pngimage.png.64a7fa7fd37c61b4ca44f722235d3c4d.png

13 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

In case it helps the Fallschirmjager chute seems a little off colour wise. Not sure if the Germans always had the chute in cammo or if it changed to suit the theatre. I've seen shots of the Crete landings which looked as is the chutes were single coloured (B&W pics) as well so it may have been something that evolved during the war. The second pic is of a captured chute from circa 1945.

Hi Stonehouse,

A first pass attempt to tone down the chute a bit, to be more inline with the picture of the original chute you showed in your post.

regards Rob.

image.png.345b33aa18bd0c8afd93e54a67a7f320.pngimage.png.d07281283163531eeac15a6e59294a6a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
E69_julian57
On 13/11/2020 at 7:15, DetCord12B said:

Working with @Off_Winters on some retextures of the existing assets.

WIP DAK uniform right and the default uniform left.

ZrSLy3w.png

Hello @DetCord12B
The skin of the DAK soldier is very good
planned to make a skin for the tanker

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
No457_Stonehouse

Looks much better I think. It's really amazing how your repaint makes you forget that the map is really Kuban, a great job you're doing. 

• Thanks 1

I'm considering making a mini campaign for the guys in TP running on a DServer on a separate machine to the one I fly on. Would I need to install the mod on the server machine (the one that I also design  the missions on) that hosts or just on the client machine?

On 10/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, Off_Winters said:

UPDATED TO BETA-2.1 FILES 8-11-2020 link has been updated to new file.

Hi All,

This is the Second installment that replaces part 1 of the mod that changes the Kuban Autumn map to North Africa. I've called it Beta-2 and I will continue to use this thread to post updates, changing name to beta3 beta4 etc. Please uninstall part 1 and delete. then install part 2 with jsgme.

It is JSGME ready, place the unzipped folder into your mods folder and install. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hl56d8unt15gao9/Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_2.rar/file

2.1 update file that accounts for new skins and aircraft added in recent official IL2 update. (Hurricane , C47, and skins for several other aircraft.)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xmz7c12peg8aefx/Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_2-1_update.rar/file

Uninstall Beta 2 files with JSGME and then place the extracted "data" folder into the "Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_2" folder. and allow to overwrite when asked. This is replacing just 1 text file.

the next update to Beta-3 will include this.

The files included change the following:
Multiple aircraft set up with Desert scheme default skins.
Added in Desert scheme B25, painted using the IL2 official template with revisions by myself. wip still need to add in/refine weathering.
Added in Desert scheme A20, painted using the IL2 official template with revisions by myself. wip still need to add in/refine weathering.
In game menu's altered to reflect Nth Africa feel, and and aircraft changes.
New mission load screen applied.
Revised buildings on airfields (swapped out European model types) then repainted new model selections to look more Nth African rather than European
Desert ground textures (based off Esk_Pedja original idea and base texture), revised further and lightened in colour in various locations to give ground texture variation.
updated rail and road textures.
Revised forest area textures.
Afrika Korps uniforms on Germans, revised further.
Trains and wagons repainted with camo and historical markings.
Russian and USA pilot models are replaced with RAF pilots with three different uniforms showing in game. (just for beta1, in future release you will be able to pick either RAF or USAAF to replace pilot models.)
Revised gunner models for A20 and Pilot model for P39.
Trees are removed.
Revised short grass and field vegetation.
In game map has had Russian names removed from intermediate and close distance maps. (over to column 19 ie map square 1019, 2019 etc are the eastern boundary) I will finish this for all maps and put in Nth African sounding names in future.

The following people have graciously given permission to use their work in upcoming versions.
HBpencil -.......................................................Malta spitfires, and purpose painted default skin for Spitfire Vb.
geraki9 -........................................................109E7 skins.
E69_julian57 -.......................................... .... Skins, various
SARFlytitus - .................................................Italian Stukas, and many german stuff
Gremlin Gus -................................................Skins, various
FoxbatRU - ...................................................Skins, in particular your Ju.88A-4
Raptorattacker -............................................many different skins 109E7
6./ZG26_5tuka -...........................................Skins various
Beebop - ......................................................Ju52 Afrika Korps generic, P38 Torch generic skin.
SKG210_Molders -........................................helping with land textures and tanks.
FAW-Tromplamort -....................................... mc202 skins, and many others.
Detcord28 -.................................................... repainting vehicles to have desert camo, his tri colour repaint set currently in game being used as a stand in file for vehicles desert schemes

You need to uninstall this MOD when flying in any other map area. it does not hurt your install stock/vanilla in any way.

regards Rob.

scenery.jpg

scenery2.jpg

scenery3.jpg

scenery4.jpg

scenery5.jpg

scenery6.jpg

scenery7.jpg

AF hangers.jpg

tower.jpg

AF stores room.jpg

a20_SAAF.jpg

B25d_us.jpg

Can not get any desert textures to display, only get green fields and a lot of trees.  Help  TC

No457_Stonehouse

You did try a mission on the Kuban Autumn map? It is only that season of Kuban that is altered to desert scenery etc not every season.

If you did use Kuban Autumn for sure then it sounds like it isn't installed correctly and you would have to provide a lot more info about the steps you used to install it and how you are managing the mod for people to be able to help you

11 minutes ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

You did try a mission on the Kuban Autumn map? It is only that season of Kuban that is altered to desert scenery etc not every season.

If you did use Kuban Autumn for sure then it sounds like it isn't installed correctly and you would have to provide a lot more info about the steps you used to install it and how you are managing the mod for people to be able to help you

I downloaded and installed the Kuban Autumn North Africa Beta-2 in my mods folder, I've try to run a quick mission on the Kuban Autumn map with only the the north africa mod installed and I'm seeing a lot of green fields and trees. the mod was moved to the active side of jsgme and with no other mods active. I'm lost.  TC

N.Africa.png

SYN_Vander
18 minutes ago, too-cool said:

I downloaded and installed the Kuban Autumn North Africa Beta-2 in my mods folder, I've try to run a quick mission on the Kuban Autumn map with only the the north africa mod installed and I'm seeing a lot of green fields and trees. the mod was moved to the active side of jsgme and with no other mods active. I'm lost.  TC

N.Africa.png

You did ...ahem... tick 'Mods on' in the IL2 launcher? (I forgot that!)

No457_Stonehouse

I guess also check the folder structure you have for the mod. You should have something like the pic. I have seen friends installing mods make a really easy mistake to make with how they choose to unzip the file and ending up with a folder in a folder type thing where you get a structure like "Kuban_Autumn-1943_Desert_Beta_2\Kuban_Autumn-1943_Desert_Beta_2"  - It will still show in JSGME but the game won't load it properly because the folder structure doesn't match the game's.

PS If it turns out to be this issue remember to deactivate in JSGME before fixing or you might end up leaving a copy of the mod sitting in the game folder to no purpose but taking up a big chunk of space.

image.png.dfefb09a57fc128ac025191a404c0359.png

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
4 minutes ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

I guess also check the folder structure you have for the mod. You should have something like the pic. I have seen friends installing mods make a really easy mistake to make with how they choose to unzip the file and ending up with a folder in a folder type thing where you get a structure like "Kuban_Autumn-1943_Desert_Beta_2\Kuban_Autumn-1943_Desert_Beta_2"  - It will still show in JSGME but the game won't load it properly because the folder structure doesn't match the game's.

PS If it turns out to be this issue remember to deactivate in JSGME before fixing or you might end up leaving a copy of the mod sitting in the game folder to no purpose but taking up a big chunk of space.

image.png.dfefb09a57fc128ac025191a404c0359.png

Same as you Show.  TC

Pic.png

Off_Winters
14 minutes ago, too-cool said:

Same as you Show.  TC

Hi Too-cool,

I See in your screen shot of your mods folder, you have your mods folder inside your data folder. that is not correct.
Place your mods folder directly into your game folder. if you look inside most user created mod folders you'll see the first level of folder structure used is "data" by placing your mods folder inside the actual data folder when jsgme installs the files it is creating a data folder inside the data folder. that is why your game cant see the files.

regards Rob.

1 hour ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi Too-cool,

I See in your screen shot of your mods folder, you have your mods folder inside your data folder. that is not correct.
Place your mods folder directly into your game folder. if you look inside most user created mod folders you'll see the first level of folder structure used is "data" by placing your mods folder inside the actual data folder when jsgme installs the files it is creating a data folder inside the data folder. that is why your game cant see the files.

regards Rob.

That did it, but believe it or not I've had this game for over a year and I've always had my mods folder inside the data folder. Lean something new ever day. Thanks everyone for the help.  TC

• Like 1
Off_Winters

I'm loving the new Hurricane, couldn't help but tweak the VC a little bit, to get a Desert theatre feel. and I wanted a brown leather crash cushion for the gun sight rather than the black leather version supplied.

image.thumb.png.6e167e1d4fb1cb67b3a274283b8cfc65.pngimage.png.0bcaa33200e4f4e4e756a65fc26216cb.png

Edited by Off_Winters
11 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Are you watching this thread, devs?!

Are you?? :ph34r:

I'm sure they are but it won't change anything.  Too few resources.  Too few staff.  At best we might see trop filters on new planes where appropriate but I wouldn't even bet on that.  We'll get what we get and pushing them can perturb them.

The best we can do is buy content and support efforts like this so they will see that there is interest in the Community.  If they see enough interest they will be more likely to risk capital in that direction.  When you are as small as they are, customer satifaction with the current product and money drives better than customer wants.

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021