Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

@Falcon41,

* It is possible to install the textures "permanently" but then you would lose the use of the stock Autumn map.  By using JSGME you can change Kuban into "Tunisia" then disable it for historical Kuban Autumn missions.  Also by using the JSGME you save yourself from making an installation error (or errors) that might affect the games look or even loading correctly and uninstalling is easy, quick and complete.

* Repaints for vehicles and personnel are in progress but will be incorporated into the final product.  Several excellent folks are at work helping Off_Winters achieve this goal.

* Mission goals and objectives are set by the game code and how the mission builder incorporates the Editor.  This repaint is eye candy only and does not affect gameplay.  That would be heavily frowned upon by the Devs.

52 minutes ago, keeno said:

I'm not really one for MODS but this looks great!

Well it's not really a "mod" as much as a repaint.  It's only a "mod" because the textures are not part of the stock/Official game.

At least to my mind a mod changes  the game in a way the developers night not have intended.  The "mods" we have are eye candy or variations on that theme.    They give us new looks for the existing maps and change how the game looks.  None affect gamepaly, which is fine by me.

Beebop,

Thanks for the answers, particularly the explanation of mod vs repaint which makes me understand why my mission objectives and circumstances didn't change only the look of the environment in the surroundings.

Falcon

7 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

A simple question however, did you mean for the desert environment to appear only when the MOD is activated? 

I build my existing missions using the Kuban fall map and when the MOD is not activated the environment is as originally produced; however, when I activate your MOD my missions take place as build only the desert environment is produced.  There doesn't appear to be any difference in mission objectives and performance. 

Also I noticed that the German uniforms have orange cast to them, is that intentional?

Hi Falcon,

The Desert Mod is only supposed to be there when activated, it replaces the Kuban Autumn/fall map details. Which means if you want to play a Russian mission on the Kuban coastline unless you turn off the mod, your mission will have desert scenery rather than the correct Kuban scenery. To this end I recommend the Mod be removed when you are not wishing to fly desert scenarios, as it will impact scenery in small ways in NW Europe and Russian maps whilst installed.

Your missions you have created using the Kuban Autumn/fall map, they will work perfectly with no change to objectives and outcomes with the Desert Mod enabled, because the landscape/map is still the games base Kuban Autumn/Fall map files with revised visual content. 

Vehicles are still a work in progress, eventually hope to have correct desert schemes for both axis and allied forces. the 'orange cast" you mentioned, I'm not sure what you mean, I believe you are talking about the uniforms having a colour-blooming effect? if you have a screen shot of what you are seeing it would help to correct an issue. the uniforms are supposed to be a light/mid green tunic with tan/yellow pants with green canvas and leather boots.

thanks for your feedback/comments, look forward to trying your missions when done, if you upload them.

regards Rob.

6 hours ago, Beebop said:

Well it's not really a "mod" as much as a repaint. 

She's goes a bit past just repainted textures now :) 

But you are right, its not like CFS3 were I can build new 3D models, or even create new maps and add to the game etc. we are still very limited in what can actually be done in IL2 BoS. however I'm sure in time there will be other aspects of the game/sim that will become more freely available for change.

regards Rob.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  Your’s and Bebop’s explanation really helped me understand what was taking place.  I’m really looking forward to the other features you’re including on the map.  Great Work!  Regarding the “orange cast” I spoke of above, well I was mistaken it was just my old eyes!  Stay well and take good care of yourself.

Falcon

• Thanks 2

On 10/25/2020 at 12:09 AM, Off_Winters said:

G'Day Det,

I was hoping you would come into the conversation, mate I would love any help you could offer.

I have got an early period Afrika Korps uniform on the go which requires a bit of TLC. But what I was really hoping to ask is, would it be possible to look at repaints for vehicles (Axis & Allied)?
I'm currently directing people to install your tri-color repaints to get more of an desert feel, but would really like to include new textures with the MOD so people don't have to chase up numerous items to get the game looking correct. thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

regards Rob.

PS happy to send my template as it stands if you need it. (painshop pro 20 .psp file format)
18023009-D9EE-4356-B902-03A101BB58F9.jpeg.6f74269dcf5b87f9ce31bf5a61f1f480.jpegimage.thumb.png.7bc8a49899fac4019bacee2274cfee11.png

I might be able to work something with regards to the DAK uniform and tropical vehicle patterns. Just let me know what you'd like done.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, DetCord12B said:

I might be able to work something with regards to the DAK uniform and tropical vehicle patterns. Just let me know what you'd like done.

Thanks Det,

PM sent.

regards Rob.

Nice!  :good:

For us non Tank Crew folks could desert skins for the two "free" tanks we all get be included or as a separate JSGME add-on?

No joy on this...

I've downloaded in placed in my MODS folder and activated it through JSGME .

But what map do I use?

There is no KUBAN-A listed in the dropdowns.

Help?

29 minutes ago, Atlantia39 said:

No joy on this...

I've downloaded in placed in my MODS folder and activated it through JSGME .

But what map do I use?

There is no KUBAN-A listed in the dropdowns.

Help?

You have to select the Kuban autumn map. This mod replaces the original autumn map. When you remove/deactivate this mod through JSGME again,

you will have the original autumn map back again.

Hi All,

Please see original post #1. The files have been updated to version Beta-2. with link updated and new description added.

regards Rob.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

WOW! 😲

WOW!  😲😲

WOW! :clapping:

Even in Beta form I AM IMPRESSED!.  We even get a new splash screen while missions load!

OMG!

Nice, Excellent, STELLAR work!

Looks really good so far in my game.

Some observations, not criticisms with the understanding that this is still in Beta and some of these things may already be on your "To Do" list,

* The Yellow on the hanger camo seems a bit too bright.

* In the "Atlas" mountains the mid level snow looks like Atlas tried to write his name in it, LOL.  😉  Just some yellow brownish coloration's.

* Some of the boundaries between tiles are a bit too sharp.  If they could be blended it would be nice.

But...this is marvelous work!  You are doing a great job and at least for me, if this was all there was I'd be happy.

But I am exuberant that you intend on developing this further.

GOOD JOBWELL DONE! :good:🏆👍😎:dance:🥇🎖️🏅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robert_Molders

Thanks to E69_julian57 that have gently provided me some beautiful tank skins to run the initial tests about the new release, here follow some screens about Tank Crew used with this amazing mod.

We got very talented modders around here and I can not express in a sufficient way how much I'm thankful to them for making such a pieces of art! Absolutely brilliant and mesmerising!

2020-11-2-2-58-12.png

2020-11-2-2-49-57.png

2020-11-2-2-57-36.png

Edited by SKG210_Molders
  • Like 4

A couple more hacks from my 'Hack Shack' for this excellent repaint;

New hacks for the latest edition of the Desert repaint...

A Desert RAF scheme;

RAF-Desert-U2-1.jpg

RAF-Desert-U2-2.jpg

And an Iraqi Hawker Audax;

Iraqui-Hawker-Audax-1.jpg

Desert RAF Available Here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0khfrqt7wsdiskq/BBop_Desert_RAF_U2VS.dds/file

Iraqi Hawker Audax Available Here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m4jq4x9joxhiqko/BBop_Iraqi_Hawker_Audax.dds/file

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 3

JG_deserteagle540

Wow!

Wonderful job done on this MOD! Everything installed in 1 second with JSGME, excellent.

Even a beautiful new splash screen during the start up of the game, what else can we ask?

I really like the new official paint schemes and description , well done!

image.png.b7cb8f000136e84dcefdac4424f99d0c.png

I only noticed that the Fw190A3 didn't show the swastikas once you are flying it. Anybody else saw that too?

Keep up the great work and thanks to everybody involved in this MOD

On 11/2/2020 at 2:30 AM, Off_Winters said:

Hi All,

Please see original post #1. The files have been updated to version Beta-2. with link updated and new description added.

regards Rob.

Really impressed with your mod Winters, very cool!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JG_deserteagle540 said:

I only noticed that the Fw190A3 didn't show the swastikas once you are flying it. Anybody else saw that too?

Keep up the great work and thanks to everybody involved in this MOD

Thanks JG,

for your question above about the Fw190, I have not included any Fw190 skins yet, so the one with the missing swastika must either be a stock skin or a custom skin that has been placed in your game at some other point. I do intend to update as many of the aircraft with Nth Africa themed skins as possible in the future.

below is a screen shot of aircraft that have had some revised skins added in the latest release.

regards Rob.

image.png.8ad3fefc8364bc5f6c65a9825d4e16b3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe skins.tab.eng needs to be updated to get the Hurricane skins and probably C47 and other aircraft which got new/updated skins sorted. The official "Desert" skin for the Hurricane can still be found under custom skins as HurricaneMkII_skin_05 when you are running this mod. Probably it is the same for other aircraft such as C47 as well although obviously it won't be HurricaneMkII_skin_05. ie look under custom if you can't see any skins other than default.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

I believe skins.tab.eng needs to be updated to get the Hurricane skins and probably C47 and other aircraft which got new/updated skins sorted. The official "Desert" skin for the Hurricane can still be found under custom skins as HurricaneMkII_skin_05 when you are running this mod. Probably it is the same for other aircraft such as C47 as well although obviously it won't be HurricaneMkII_skin_05. ie look under custom if you can't see any skins other than default.

Thanks Stonehous, 

you're right, the skins.tab will have to be updated with each game update that has additions or subtractions of aircraft and or skins etc. I'll do this over the weekend and put up a small patch to the Beta-2 files in the first post.

regards Rob.

I'm stuck at work, another 5 hrs before I can get home to try out the new Hurricane..

Must be shift or WA. I finished work at 7pm...…...what are you doing at work at this time without at least a beer on Friday? Sacrilege!!! lol

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Must be shift or WA. I finished work at 7pm...…...what are you doing at work at this time without at least a beer on Friday? Sacrilege!!! lol

Nah I'm Fly-In Fly-Out out of Laos, its 4 hrs behind eastern states Australia, but more distressing is the fact I just tried to login (first time in mine camp) and for some reason the Steam profile account server cant be reached, I'm thinking the company site internet may have ports or whatever it is thats required to be open are all locked down.

The only Steam bought item I have was the original base BoS everything else purchased though here. I just seen it was still on sale for $11 so I just sprang for the BoS module from here and its downloading 24 gig of game files. hopefully this will get me back in the game. because as it stands I'm stuck in offline mode which means no Hurricane and or ability to unpack the revised skin.tab file to edit it.

EDIT: installing the non-steam version of BoS has worked for me, was able to connect to my IL2 account and update the game and see all content, back in business.

Edited by Off_Winters

Could I get instructions on the best way to remove the loading screen from this mod without hurting the rest of the mod?  I really don’t like that screen dominating every load....

Checking out some Tunisian Action....

2020_11_6__20_42_48.jpg

2020_11_6__20_44_4.jpg

Edited by 352ndOscar
  • Like 1

Go into folder Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_2\data\swf\il2\preloader\images while the mod is deactivated in JSGME and delete the dds file or rename it to have a file extension like ddsx or something other than dds is probably the easiest. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 352ndOscar said:

Could I get instructions on the best way to remove the loading screen from this mod without hurting the rest of the mod?  I really don’t like that screen dominating every load....

Checking out some Tunisian Action....

Hi Oscar,

As Stonehouse mentions, with the mod deactivated in JSGME go into folder Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_2\data\swf\il2\ folder and you will see a folder called "preloader" just rename this folder that will prevent the game from using the single load screen image and the Desert Air War title in the text box.

If you want to see the "Desert Air War" title in the text box whilst the game is loading and have the stock load screens show, you will need to go into the preload folder and rename the file called info.txt and also rename the folder called "images" 

Or you could just rename the info.txt file in the preload folder and have the Desert Air War load screen rotate through the load screen images used by the game in conjunction with the stock load screen images. my included screen replaces stock screen #1 in the stock set.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Please see the first post, I have uploaded a small fix to account for changes made in the recent official IL2 update. This fixes the missing Hurricane skins and a few other bits and pieces related to aircraft types and skins.

In the Mod the Hurricane uses US bombs in the loadout when selecting the Russian loadout, and is flown by an RAF pilot instead of the stock Russian pilot model.

Also some screens of upcoming default desert themed skins for the MkVb Spitfire, in both early and late period marking, graciously supplied by HBpencil. Thanks mate.. 

regards Rob.

hurribomber.jpg

piloltrussian.jpg

Shot of default stock pilot model over Germany, no choice in quick missions other than Russian.  It just doesn't seem right seeing a Russian flying over France and Germany..

spitlate.jpg

spitearly.jpg

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quartermiler1

Thad, per your October book request, I suggest "Desert Warriors    Australian P-40 pilots at war in the Middle East and North Africa 1941-1943" by Russell Brown. 

ISBN 1 875593 22 5. First published in year 2000.

Edited by quartermiler1
Forgot to refer to Thad's October request.
  • Thanks 1

This may be asked and answered already, but are there any plans afoot to make campaigns possible using this map and all the wonderful fine tuning of landscape & objects you have done?

20201108093514_1.jpg

You can make any kind of mission or campaign with this repaint in the same way you would with any other stock map and objects.  Consider this repaint just like a seasonal map.  the only thing that changes is how things look, like the difference between a Summer and Winter map.  You could run any Kuban Autumn campaign or Mission with the repaint activated and the only difference is how it looks.

This is only different textures.  It does not modify how the game plays or operates.  The Dev's wouldn't allow that.

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

You can make any kind of mission or campaign with this repaint in the same way you would with any other stock map and objects.  Consider this repaint just like a seasonal map.  the only thing that changes is how things look, like the difference between a Summer and Winter map.  You could run any Kuban Autumn campaign or Mission with the repaint activated and the only difference is how it looks.

This is only different textures.  It does not modify how the game plays or operates.  The Dev's wouldn't allow that.

Good tip ...and obvious( although I didn't think of it , )but one drawback you'd still be stuck with Russian Voices not  British. Also-I know that the Moscow & Stalingrad campaigns now allow the Hurricane to be used  ( I'm flying it over Moscow now...)  I haven't checked can I fly a Hurricane campaign in the Autumn Kuban map as well?

tumblr_nwzfrt3C8A1rt5jw6o6_400.gif

• Like 1

Voice packs may be forthcoming.  Off_Winters is being very diligent with making this repaint very complete.

And yes, if you own the Hurricane you can fly it, and any other plane you own, on it.  But the campaign would need the Hurricane added to it.  With campaigns you can only fly the planes provided by the mission maker unless you are willing to open the campaign in the Mission Editor and make changes.  Not recommended for the uninitiated, possibly not even for the well versed. 

Tank Crew should also work on this too as long as you don't mind having a Sherman stand in for an Abrams, LOL!   Seriously you could have Afrika Korps tank missions on the map.

Again it's an "eye candy" repaint and does not affect gameplay in any way other than visually.

Edited by Beebop

5 hours ago, Blitzen said:

one drawback you'd still be stuck with Russian Voices not  British. 

Hi Blitzen,

I use this voice pack, to get all English voices. read the thread as there are two small additions that help the original set.

regards Rob.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi Blitzen,

I use this voice pack, to get all English voices. read the thread as there are two small additions that help the original set.

regards Rob.

Many thanks- JsGME Install?

34 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Many thanks- JsGME Install?

Hi Blitzen,

yes mate, the main package is jsgme install ready. but there are two lots of file edits as discussed in the last two posts of that thread.

regards Rob.

-Six-Motivated

I suppose there's no option to mod a dust filter onto the 109s in order to make them Trop variants 😂

It would be great to see this added as a modification much like the air filter for the Hurricane!

When you take a bird up without permission, you might as well have some fun.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005244.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005500.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005610.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 005544.jpg

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Haha 1

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021