Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021

Off_Winters

Stonehouse

@jollyjackDisable the Nth African mod in JSGME, go into the Nth African mod folder and look for the files and folders Rob talks about in the post below, do as he suggests and then re-enable the Nth African mod and see if the issue is resolved.

At my end the path is \Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_3\data\graphics\characters\pilot_brit\

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jollyjack

PS for North Afrika skinning: P38 Informatiom, looking fot RAAF use .....:

https://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_P-38_NorthAfrica.html

I could not find records of P38 use by the RAAF in N.Africa,

only the 41th USAAF, according to this site operating from:

Tafaraoui, Algeria: 15 Nov 1942
Maison Blanche, Algeria: 18 Nov 1942
Youks-les- Bains, Algeria: 22 Nov 1942
Berteaux, Algeria: 9 Jan 1943
Mediouna, French Morocco: 5 Mar 1943
Telergma, Algeria: 5 May 1943
El Bathan, Tunisia: 3 Jun 1943
Ste-Marie-du-Zit, Tunisia: 25 Jul 1943

So that would be info for Cliffs-Tobruk?

On 3/8/2021 at 12:26 AM, No457_Stonehouse said:

Rob suggested I should post up something about how the renaming of the map locations is going.

Just some background first though, I spent a lot of time trying to find a section of Nth African coastline that (a) matched up roughly to what we see in the Kuban map and (b) corresponded to an area of WW2 interest. Not surprisingly I guess I didn't have much success until I realised that if I rotated a jpg of Kuban somewhat I got roughly close to the coastline of Tunisia giving me an approximation of the region running from Djerba to Tunis, although it doesn't have the Cap Bon peninsula plus some other features. It did seem close enough however to try to give renaming locations a go with the aim of ending up with a usable faux Tunisian Campaign map. This was about Nov 2020.

Move forward through about 3 months of looking at normal and sat maps on the internet and looking at ww2 history and using the editor to look at terrain (finding a Kasserine location that gave something like both the terrain features and strategic reqs as well as being roughly right in relationship to other locations was a real pain) resulting in the final draft map below. Apologies for the way it looks I am not a graphics tool user really and pretty much worked in Paint adding names to my WIP pic and keeping track in a spreadsheet.

As you can see it is rotated compared to the in game map. I worked with it like this because it made it easier for me to compare it to the real world location. There definitely are compromises in what you see below and even though my aim was to try to keep the spacial relationship between locations roughly correct there were times when it just wasn't possible. Particularly the inland locations were difficult to manage. After all - it is Kuban flipped not Tunisia.

So happy to hear constructive comments and feedback but do realise that it has taken 3-4 months of work to get to this point and that at best it will only ever be an approximation of Tunisia. Therefore, while I tried to keep locations which were important to history, some didn't make it or are not quite where perhaps they should be in reality. Airfields are particularly not historically correct as quite a few were just temporary LGs in the real world and I only had the locations available already in the Kuban map.

Anyway, obviously in game we will see the non rotated map, this will mean mission builders need to translate history a bit so that N & NE (the Allies main directions of movement, Mareth to Tunis and from Algeria to Tunis)  becomes S & SE in game, please keep this in mind when looking at the attached. Hopefully people generally like what they see and are looking forward to doing missions over Tunisia.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

PS - you may need to click on the image to get past the thumbnail and then save it and view it outside the forum to be able to zoom in and read names. 

small kuban-tunisia draft final 070321.jpg

Exporting the map; could not read names, have you got a version with more pixels maybe?

Edited by jollyjack

Stonehouse

To the best of my knowledge the RAAF never used P38s in North Africa. Pretty much P40s all the way in 3 and 450 and 451 SQDs. 3 sqd was a recce squadron which turned fighter squadron around 1941 getting Hurricanes and then changing to Tomahawks later the same year. 450 was a bit mucked around and didn't really get going until 1942 with Kittyhawks. 451 was a tactical recce squadron which I think had Hurricanes and Lysanders in Eygpt in 1941 and didn't see much action at all doing artillery spotting etc up near Tobruk and suffered morale issues as a result of underemployment and eventually got transferred back to the delta area in Eygpt in 1943 where they got Spitfires and were designated a fighter squadron. Again though they were held as a defensive sqd and saw little or no action. Other than perhaps an evaluation aircraft I don't believe the P-38 was ever used by the RAAF anywhere. 

On the map it's a bit tricky as the full size map is up around 25-30mb and uploads to the forum are capped at only 5mb per post (understandably). I found if I right clicked on the map in my post and opened it in another window and then left clicked on the resulting image I could read location names. Be aware though that the post had a draft version which has moved on slightly and that the version in the next release will differ and it's possible that it will change again over time for the final version of the map.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Thanks 1

Off_Winters

Some Fw190's into the mix. A3's to start with. three new 4K skins, and two stock game skins revamped with full historic markings. in game historical descriptions added for all. 

Stab./JG.2, GrKdr. Dickfeld, Tunisia 1942

978120595_Screenshot2021-04-01003806.thumb.jpg.fe9ea1cf2e959d5711cda9948d5aa3be.jpg

6./JG.2, Oblt. Rudorffer, Tunisia 1943

1981631003_Screenshot2021-04-01003951.thumb.jpg.b5057568c45000809def3c1c1b409794.jpg

10J./SKG10, Oblt. Scheck, Tunisia 1943

sheck.jpg.e56f65c3cafef1f2994f475648149fbd.jpg

6./JG.2, Oblt. Rudorffer, Tunisia early 1943 - stock skin updated with historical markings and a bit of touching up.

277173418_Screenshot2021-04-01004109.jpg.2c0cbe3f11742914da125f49529189ee.jpg

Erpr.Kdo 19, Hptm. Maack, Libya 1942 - stock skin updated with historical markings and a bit of touching up.

695141801_Screenshot2021-04-01003909.thumb.jpg.f788f6a9dbbfb77cdb4953c34877054f.jpg

He111's also coming along.

Kurierstaffel 'Rommel' North Africa 1942.

1344953410_Screenshot2021-04-01010330.thumb.jpg.b9b4e878e4b38a65682afe1f647c894e.jpg

1218884583_Screenshot2021-04-01010216.thumb.jpg.e8f7e806f7fce9b5997646f096b4fe61.jpg

No. 260 Sqdn. RAF Libya 1942. No. 260 Squadron RAF claimed this He111H-6 assigned to KG4 that was found abandoned on Castel Beneto airfield near Tripoli, Libya, in North Africa around December 1942. It was still airworthy and was used as a 'hack' by the squadron personnel. 856000322_Screenshot2021-04-01010304.thumb.jpg.a3cbc489187d12f345a5b6bfd3d2d921.jpg

2044207147_Screenshot2021-04-01010233.thumb.jpg.2be054e8ecacf6c8db59d01f0340cbcd.jpg

• Like 1

Falcon41

Rob,

Will these skins show up in the current MOD or do we have to await the release of version beta 4?

Bill

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

Will these skins show up in the current MOD or do we have to await the release of version beta 4?

Bill

G'day Bill,

they'll be in Beta-V4. which I will be uploading on the weekend. I was going to upload last week but got bitten by the bug to do some German skins to balance out all the new allied desert schemed skins.

The IL2 supplied official templates are very good, they just need a bit of time to set the various layers in photoshop to the right levels and add in some small details that are missing. from there it takes about an hour of so to make a new texture. viewing in game and tweaking until happy.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Off_Winters

Bf109-E7 8./ZG.1 Libya 1942. using the public template with my own refinements.

786329408_Screenshot2021-04-01190729.thumb.jpg.19f663329815e67e0c0d9a5575a772f7.jpg

165750990_Screenshot2021-04-01190807.thumb.jpg.4d2d9356b907a4aeb30cb043eaa4606f.jpg

242898511_Screenshot2021-04-01190913.thumb.jpg.9dbbbde8437b19a24307bf72c36be6b2.jpg

• Like 1

I am very appreciative of all your hard work and am loathe to mention this but....

I am constructing a mission set in Palestine in 1929 representing the Arab Revolt.  At my RAF airfield I went to place a Zis fuel truck as there are no fuel trucks (at least yet) in Flying circus.  I figured it looked "old-timey" enough.  But when I chose it, it is the very same truck as the GMC fuel truck.  And the Zis 5 open truck is the same as the GMC 6 X 6.

Is there any way we can get the Zis models back?  I'm not asking for a desert repaint, just the model.  If not it will just be another "game limitation" but certainly not a deal breaker. 

This map (and meplanes Malta textures placed on top of it), along with Flying Circus opens a whole new theatre for mission building.

Looking forward to the release of Beta 4.  👍

Off_Winters
11 minutes ago, Beebop said:

I am very appreciative of all your hard work and am loathe to mention this but....

I am constructing a mission set in Palestine in 1929 representing the Arab Revolt.  At my RAF airfield I went to place a Zis fuel truck as there are no fuel trucks (at least yet) in Flying circus.  I figured it looked "old-timey" enough.  But when I chose it, it is the very same truck as the GMC fuel truck.  And the Zis 5 open truck is the same as the GMC 6 X 6.

Is there any way we can get the Zis models back?  I'm not asking for a desert repaint, just the model.  If not it will just be another "game limitation" but certainly not a deal breaker. 

This map (and meplanes Malta textures placed on top of it), along with Flying Circus opens a whole new theatre for mission building.

Looking forward to the release of Beta 4.  👍

G'day Beebop,

You can get the original Zis vehicles back in game by removing the zis folder from

\MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_3\data\graphics\vehicles\

obviously uninstall mod first, then reinstall.

For an old open truck there is the "leyland3tonraf" in game which would be a better choice for WWI (IMHO)

regards Rob.

Oh.  OK.  That's easy.

I am using the Leyland truck but as a cargo truck.  I was looking for a "tank truck" model.  Maybe in FC2?

Thanks for the tip. 

Actually I did think about it removing it but since I know about as much about modding as I do on interstellar trajectories, I decided I wouldn't chance it.

:thank_you:

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1

Falcon41

Rob,

Something I noticed about the MOD recently, when activated the air cleaner on the Hurricane does not show up as an addition.  When the MOD is inactivated the air cleaner is available.  I'm not certain how this occurs, but could it be possible as having to do with the time the air cleaner was made available and the release of your MOD?  Just another small point to clean up. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Regards,

Bill

OK.  I deleted the zis folder as suggested (disabled mod first) but when I restarted the ME and chose the Zis fuel or Zis 5 I still get the GMC's with desert textures.

Since I am also using meplanes Malta beta I checked his files and in his data\graphics\vehicles\ there are only craters, no vehicles at all.

(on a side note, not of your doing btw, why are craters and land canvas's considered "Vehicles" and have to be linked entity's to show up?  Who thinks like that?)

So, any suggestions on the Zis trucks?  Again not a big deal, just wondering.

Off_Winters
9 hours ago, Beebop said:

OK.  I deleted the zis folder as suggested (disabled mod first) but when I restarted the ME and chose the Zis fuel or Zis 5 I still get the GMC's with desert textures.

Since I am also using meplanes Malta beta I checked his files and in his data\graphics\vehicles\ there are only craters, no vehicles at all.

(on a side note, not of your doing btw, why are craters and land canvas's considered "Vehicles" and have to be linked entity's to show up?  Who thinks like that?)

So, any suggestions on the Zis trucks?  Again not a big deal, just wondering.

Hi Beebop,

it may be looking at the static model version of the Zis trucks. try taking out the "blocks" folder

\MODS\Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_4\data\graphics\blocks

and see if that removes it. there is no other locations in the mod that house vehicle files so you should be good to go.

regards Rob.

OK.  I'll try that.  But will that remove the repaints for the other static objects?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I know nothing about modding.  You mod folks reside right up there with Zeus and the other Gods in my book.

Edited by Beebop

Off_Winters
7 hours ago, Beebop said:

OK.  I'll try that.  But will that remove the repaints for the other static objects?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I know nothing about modding.  You mod folks reside right up there with Zeus and the other Gods in my book.

Hi Beebop,

yes it would if you removed the whole folder. so what you can do is open up the folder and remove the files with 'zis' as part of their name. see picture. this should now give you back the Russian trucks and leave all the others as I set them up.

regards Rob.
image.thumb.png.93a5f07c20c3b1b97b9b79ed876b4dad.png

on another note, some of the new arrived allied artillery has been given a coat sand colored paint. image.thumb.png.845ddbb55ef7034925d83b4d1c7342d9.png

And the discerning young Fw190-A3 pilots have been to the tailor for some theatre appropriate flying jackets.

image.thumb.png.83fec25553f188f269ac57bcfe34be5b.png

• Like 1

meplanes1969

Looking forward to your next update,I am working on some improvements to my Malta terrain,less yellow desert more mix between green,brown muddy,rocky more realistic of the Malta scenery I think.

great mod keep up the good work

• Upvote 1

Off_Winters
19 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

Something I noticed about the MOD recently, when activated the air cleaner on the Hurricane does not show up as an addition.  When the MOD is inactivated the air cleaner is available.  I'm not certain how this occurs, but could it be possible as having to do with the time the air cleaner was made available and the release of your MOD?  Just another small point to clean up. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Regards,

Bill

G'day Bill,

I have not seen that at all. the Hurricane is showing its air cleaner option in game.
The various aircraft modifications are housed in the Worldobjects/planes folder but I have not edited any of the Hurricane files.

The Hurricane was released with all its modifications at the same time, I'm not sure what has changed in your game. Have you tried the desert Mod with absolutely no other mods installed?

Sorry not much help on this one. regards Rob.

image.thumb.png.3d07411e951548558b3f4235ae48f61e.png

image.thumb.png.6e36265331304b59b4f919f5a14eb738.png
image.png.6b20424a75211613a04f9cdfaa7b0800.png

4 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

what you can do is open up the folder and remove the files with 'zis' as part of their name. see picture. this should now give you back the Russian trucks and leave all the others as I set them up.

WOW!  I actually guessed right about the effects of removing the entire folder.

OK.  I'll try what you suggested.

You know I am actually learning more about the nuts and bolts of this game.  I always like when I know exactly which spanner to use.  😉

And by the way, thanks for your patience with me and for taking the time to address my personal "issue".

(what a great Community)

• Like 1

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)

Last screen shot before uploading V4. I have put two missions in game that I built using Syn_Vanders excellent mission builder and then edited in the official mission builder to call on various theatre correct skins and labelled aircraft for each skin used. this was a test of the mission builder to see if I could get it to work with the mod, I'm not a mission builders elbow, so don't expect much :) but if proper mission builders where to pick this up then there could be some nice Nth Africa type flight to be enjoyed.

I plan to make a series of missions for Allied and Axis to try and show case the mod and to give people a few quick options for mission beyond Quick Combat. the next update will be towards end of April with a focus on finishing the map changes and setting the scene with simple missions.

In the mission menu screen look for the folder "Desert Air War".

image.thumb.png.51f5a4bb4a138f04e369faeb57c0c6cf.png

Edited by Off_Winters
Changed picture I forgot to hide the Nazi marking on the tail. sorry admins.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Your suggestion worked.  I now have the Zis trucks back.  Thanks!  :good:

• Like 1

This mod (along with meplanes Malta mod) has inspired all kinds of things in my mind.  Like the Arab Revolts of 1936-1939.

We're unlikely to get this plane anytime soon......

The PfalD3 as a Hawker Hart.

Hawker-Hart-4.jpg

Hawker-Hart-2.jpg

Currently in QC checks.

Upload within ~24 hours.

DOWNLOAD:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/e2d5xh13hjp09hf/BBop_PD3a_Hawker_Hart.dds/file

Thanks for the inspiration guys!  👍

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Off_Winters changed the title to Kuban Autumn Nth Africa Desert Beta upload - Updated version to 4.0 04-04-2021
Off_Winters
Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Beta V4 files have been uploaded. please see page 1 for revised link and information. as usual uninstall V3 and 3.1 hot fix files before installing new set. readme file with instructions included in download.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

meplanes1969

Looking great downloading now,thanks for all the hard work of everyone involved 😄

-=[]=-little-Guardian

Wow ! 3gb in all . . .

Thanks to all of you for your work and dedication!

This feels like two games in one now

Greetings      little guardian

Falcon41

Rob,

GREAT job.  Thanks for the work of all involved in this wonderful MOD.  KUDOS to everyone!

Bill aka Falcon41

jollyjack

Ottoman, reminds me of the film A Fish Called Wanda ...

==================================================================================================

SP MISSION: if you have the once again beautiful Off Winters North Africa MOD installed, now v4.0,

and it really should be done without trees, or a palm and olive tree mod once we're allowed to mod trees (please devs ...???) ...

Here's a NON HISTORIC mission for you. Started with a properly routed P38 player first, and a proper mission end.

But now with version 2: It's far more fun to free fly a rocket loaded Player Spitfire MkIXe, with added bombs and shoot at what ever you fancy.

Trains & rockets, my favorite indoor sport ...

There are some camera view points installed (F12-F11) Plus an attempt to let a train drive through one famous Kuban Map Tunel.

It can't of course, but it spawns again after the tunnel. Still experimenting with that; i might post a version with an update later.

JSGME installation: unzip in your MODS folder as you have done with Off Winters North Africa MOD.

There are a few skins involved making it a large download..

DOWNLOAD here:  Rommel's Mayhem Mission

I thanked various forum participants who really helped me out at times on the Mission Info page. 

(let me know if something is wrong? BTW the train turning around at the end of one dead end track is a bug it seems.)

Have fun ... JJ

Edited by jollyjack

LF_Sire

Hello all!
First of all, thank you very much for this incredible worlk!

So, I'm trying to give this mod a try.
But something goes wrong. It doesn't works.

Probably my fault so I put here in detail all my steps, for some HELP.

1) I use OvGME, not JSGME. I suppose that is not a problem.

2) I have unTARed Mod file on my custom mod folder.
(lights mod.zip is another mod that yes, it works)
image.png.91d4baaadd6d1dcbb43b69fcca2ea68d.png

3) I have enabled it

image.png.8c1b707641bd552d37f460e719265c2a.png

4) And I have checked that changes are applied on correct folders:
(Note 4/6/2021 date in affected folders on the left, 12/16/21 the rest of original folders)
image.thumb.png.2c03a0a77b9220d6cd55e1374b6ef49f.png

5) I start Il2. I CAN see Dessert Air War missions. Run A-20 misson but... all green as allways.
From bombers view:

image.png.d96b0abd3ab928ab8e6f9833576b9fdb.png

Have I missed something? Something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Stonehouse
4 hours ago, LF_Sire said:

Hello all!

Thanks in advance

Possibly you are not using the Kuban Autumn map? That is the only map and season converted by the mod. Everything else will still look green and European.

*  Do you have any other Kuban map repaints enabled?  If so disable them.

*  Have you tried disabling all mods but the NA Beta4 mod?  It's possible there could be a conflict.

Off_Winters
Posted (edited)

Hello all!

So, I'm trying to give this mod a try.
But something goes wrong. It doesn't works.

Probably my fault so I put here in detail all my steps, for some HELP.

1) I use OvGME, not JSGME. I suppose that is not a problem.

2) I have unTARed Mod file on my custom mod folder.
(lights mod.zip is another mod that yes, it works)
image.png.91d4baaadd6d1dcbb43b69fcca2ea68d.png

3) I have enabled it

image.png.8c1b707641bd552d37f460e719265c2a.png

4) And I have checked that changes are applied on correct folders:
(Note 4/6/2021 date in affected folders on the left, 12/16/21 the rest of original folders)
image.thumb.png.2c03a0a77b9220d6cd55e1374b6ef49f.png

5) I start Il2. I CAN see Dessert Air War missions. Run A-20 misson but... all green as allways.
From bombers view:

image.png.d96b0abd3ab928ab8e6f9833576b9fdb.png

Thanks in advance

Hi Sire,

As Stonehous above says, I would say you have selected the Kuban Summer map rather than the Kuban Autumn map.

Edit, just noticed you mentioned it happens when your flying the DAW A20 mission, so there must be more to your problem than wrong map selected. it seems some of the files have been placed correctly and others have not or they are not the highest file in the hierarchy of the file/folder structure. ie another mod coming in over the top or files not in correct folder structure after being installed via OVgme.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters

LF_Sire
8 hours ago, Beebop said:

*  Do you have any other Kuban map repaints enabled?  If so disable them.

*  Have you tried disabling all mods but the NA Beta4 mod?  It's possible there could be a conflict.

No, I haven't any other mods, so conflict. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi Sire,

As Stonehous above says, I would say you have selected the Kuban Summer map rather than the Kuban Autumn map.

Edit, just noticed you mentioned it happens when your flying the DAW A20 mission, so there must be more to your problem than wrong map selected. it seems some of the files have been placed correctly and others have not or they are not the highest file in the hierarchy of the file/folder structure. ie another mod coming in over the top or files not in correct folder structure after being installed via OVgme.

regards Rob.

Ok, I will recheck file hierrarchy.

I will check also how JSGME and OvGME works to find differences.

If nothing works I will use JSGME to see what happens.

I will report here. Thank you all

8 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Possibly you are not using the Kuban Autumn map? That is the only map and season converted by the mod. Everything else will still look green and European.

I have just tried the build in A-20 Dessert Air War mission, but I'm goinf to check this by myself too. Just te be sure.

Falcon41

Rob,

I'm having a problem with version 4.0 in that I have the standing rear gunner in the A-20.  I've attempted the fix you provided earlier regarding this issue but that doesn't seem to solve the issue.  

Bill

Off_Winters
1 hour ago, Falcon41 said:

Rob,

I'm having a problem with version 4.0 in that I have the standing rear gunner in the A-20.  I've attempted the fix you provided earlier regarding this issue but that doesn't seem to solve the issue.  

Bill

G'day Bill,

Hmm, could you please tell me what scenario you are in when your seeing this. i.e. are you flying:
* Quick Combat - (in QC the sim uses the Russian pilot model, which I have swapped out with British pilot)
* A mission where the country has been set to British     (no change to pilot other than textures)
* A mission where the country has been set to USA        (Sim uses US pilot model, which I have swapped out with British pilot) but possibly have stuffed up :) 
* A mission where the country has not been specified - defaults to Russia. (sim uses the Russian pilot model, which I have swapped out with British pilot))

My gut feel is, your in a mission with country set to USA. 

please try going to the character folder,
Kuban_Autum-1943_Desert_Beta_4\data\graphics\characters

and rename the "pilot_usaf" folder to pilot_usaf_orig. this will allow the game to use the original in game US pilot figures.

I should have taken the US pilot out of the mod, and I will for next version. I only had it in there as when I first started this I was looking at the time frame before the US entered the war and it looked strange with US pilots in game. but that has changed now with the focus beyond US entry into the war.

If the above does not fix your issue I will need to did deeper.

regards Rob.

Falcon41

Rob,

I’m flying your A-20 mission that was provided in the update, thus the pilot should be set to British, correct?  When I disable the MOD the gunner is fine.  I’ve flown both with the Malta MOD on and off and there appears to be no difference, still get the standing gunner.  I haven’t changed the pilot folder as you suggested, but will in the morning and let you know the results.

Take care of yourself and your family and be safe.

Regards,

Bill