...textures/common folder ?

In a few mods, I faced destination folder ...graphics/textures/common  folder. 

But in my installation of sim - that folder does not exist ?!?

Is it normal ? ( Steam version should not have any influence ) ...or my Win Explorer does not display existing folder ? ( that is unbelievable to me )

I would appreciate any opinion or suggestion.

Edited by esk_pedja

You should be OK to just create the folder. On startup the game looks for textures for instruments etc in that folder and will use those if it can find any in that folder. If  the folder is  not there, then it just uses the baked-in textures it already has.  You cannot do any harm, by making the folder.

5 hours ago, esk_pedja said:

But... did you have that folder by default in your installation ?

Most folders do not show up in the installation. It’s perfectly normal. To find all the folders you would have to use a tool called un-GPT. 
  So for example, when a modder makes a MOD, he/she will use the tool to unlock all files and sub folders. Then the modding process can begin. :salute:

Hope that answers your question. 

3 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Most folders do not show up in the installation. It’s perfectly normal. To find all the folders you would have to use a tool called un-GPT. 
  So for example, when a modder makes a MOD, he/she will use the tool to unlock all files and sub folders. Then the modding process can begin. :salute:

Hope that answers your question. 

@rowdyb00t;  excuse the dumb question, but where can one find that tool, un-GPT? is it just a matter of googling it or is it in specific place/file?

I'm not really sure but it's possible that not every file will be unpacked by this older version of un-gtp. Maybe the later updates of the game would need an updated un-gtp as well. Just an idea.

Because you get always this 'unknown file...' at the end of the unpacking process. But for the most stuff ist's usable though.

Edited by vonGraf

I got the (null) display of un-GPT :  "Common" folder is displayed with all sorts of contents !

So, the new question is :  how to paste the desired mod-files into it ?

I guess that (null) display of "common" folder content - can not be used to effectively paste the desired mod file ( if it is not JGSME ready ).

Or ...maybe it could be used for "pasting" - without Win Explorer ???

Edited by esk_pedja

The last time I run the un-GPT tool I got a null folder but the view on all the dds files is all black so you can not preview the files.

also more files now are in code ( perhaps for anti- cheating in mp)

I get the impression the devs are not that keen on us modding certain things.

if they bring out some new file if you can not see it you can not mod it

Anything in the (null) files can be modified and pasted to the main game data files. This only will work with Mods On selected in the in-game menu. 
  To be safe, any mod should be installed through JSGME. This way anytime your game is updated you can quickly uninstall any mod before updating.

I do agree certain mods that can give any advantage in mp,so mods off in multiplayer is correct.

if you play your own game any mods you use are your preference and at your own risk.

it certainly would upset a lot of people if the devs stopped the mods on function

6 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Anything in the (null) files can be modified and pasted to the main game data files. This only will work with Mods On selected in the in-game menu. 
  To be safe, any mod should be installed through JSGME. This way anytime your game is updated you can quickly uninstall any mod before updating.

I am asking about possibility to effectively paste file into (null) folder, not about modifying files in (null)... and later pasting them with a Win Explorer ?

1 hour ago, esk_pedja said:

I am asking about possibility to effectively paste file into (null) folder, not about modifying files in (null)... and later pasting them with a Win Explorer ?

I’m not sure on that question. 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:41 PM, esk_pedja said:

Hi Esk,

the files unpacked by the gtp tool in the null folder are not referenced by the game at all. You need to create the same folder structure in your game install as shown inside the null folder (null is a stand in name for data) Then you place your desired changed files into that folder. ie your common texture folder. And you would be using The win explorer to do it.

but bear in mind as you manually place more and more files in this way it will become increasingly harder to remember which file went with which modification. This is were JSGME is such a useful tool as it does exactly what you are going to do manually but it gives you the versatility to add and remove files Grouped by mod in a specific install folder for each at will if you need to make further changes to a file/mod.

hth, regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
32 minutes ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi Esk,

...And you would be using The win explorer to do it.

But my Win Explorer does not display textures/common folder! That is the starting point of this thread...

There is a small mistery, is it my Windows 10 ignoring that folder, or a bug in Simulator or Win Explorer itself ?

I can only try to apply JGSME order of folders - aiming "texture/common folder"... ( in existing JGSME mod) , paste desired files in it - and "smuggle" desired files that way into "common".

...or simillary:  clear contents of such JGSME mod and simply paste desired files in empty "common" folder of such a mod.

...and hope that existing JGSME ready path will activate it.

5 hours ago, esk_pedja said:

But my Win Explorer does not display textures/common folder! That is the starting point of this thread...

Hi Esk,

nobodies windows explorer will display the folder in the main game structure. The folders are encoded in the gtp files. 
what the ungtp program does is brings the folders out of the encoded state and shows you the correct folder path and the files included. (But because they are in the folder called null the game won’t use them)

This is were my previous comment above comes into play. You can’t overwrite the original encoded files, but you can have newer versions read by the game by placing updated files into the same folder structure. The game will read/use those files and not bother with unpacking the original encoded files for use.

you do not have a problem with the way your windows explorer is seeing the stock game files.

I don’t leave the unpacked files (null folder) in my game directory after exporting as they just take up space on my ssd drive. I moved the whole null folder over to my work drive and just use it as a reference for folder structure and a library of stock files to be worked with when making changes.

I hope I’m making some sort of sense, and not just muddying the waters for you.

regards Rob.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, vonGraf said:

I'm not really sure but it's possible that not every file will be unpacked by this older version of un-gtp. Maybe the later updates of the game would need an updated un-gtp as well. Just an idea.

Because you get always this 'unknown file...' at the end of the unpacking process. But for the most stuff ist's usable though.

This is just what happens when it hits the end of an archive.

On 10/13/2020 at 4:30 AM, meplanes1969 said:

The last time I run the un-GPT tool I got a null folder but the view on all the dds files is all black so you can not preview the files.

also more files now are in code ( perhaps for anti- cheating in mp)

I get the impression the devs are not that keen on us modding certain things.

if they bring out some new file if you can not see it you can not mod it

You are doing something wrong. All the same stuff gets extracted.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, LizLemon said:

This is just what happens when it hits the end of an archive.

Yeah, ok, but it irritates me a bit though. And the fact that I could find (and edit) the files/data for HUD compass, tachometer, altimeter, etc. but not the ones for the g-meter.