No change to VR timetable

How could you want VR before this - True sky?

What I mean is, by having True sky implemented first and then VR at a later stage,  VR would be further enhanced by the virtual wow factor generated by the realistic looking sky.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Yep, I remember this image.

Going back to the gigantic mass of clouds visible on the above screenshot... is all of this a volumetric mass of clouds that are "really" up there in the atmosphere, such that a player on board this Spitfire could take off and fly among those clouds, inside them, above them, etc?

Yes, see here for further demonstration

https://simul.co/

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I hadn’t heard of truesky before.  Best of luck with that, it sounds like a very good addition to the game. 

Hi!

Cheers. It's good to see an old familiar name...maybe we can lure you to the 'other side'.

2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Yep, I remember this image.

Going back to the gigantic mass of clouds visible on the above screenshot... is all of this a volumetric mass of clouds that are "really" up there in the atmosphere, such that a player on board this Spitfire could take off and fly among those clouds, inside them, above them, etc?

Yes. I honestly think it will look better than that screenshot.

• Like 2

S! 

That pic is outstanding. Compare to what we have now. VR people should be extatic flying in those new clouds. And I am jumping to VR next year too. And as I  am "grounded" aka have no gaming rig at the moment and it will take some time to get a new one..

23 hours ago, Karaya said:

Yes, see here for further demonstration

https://simul.co/

A concern I would have is that I need to be referred to a website in order to understand why I should be pumped over Truesky. I doubt I would spend more or less time in-game whether it is implemented or not. What weather patterns are to be expected over desert landscapes? Anyway, happy to see Truesky implemented soon.

21 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I need to be referred to a website in order to understand why I should be pumped over Truesky.

In my understanding, the priority for TFS is not the weather but the implementation of 3D clouds (either thank to TrueSky or thank to a different software) so that VR becomes possible or at least aestically sense-making in a VR environment. VR-compatible arcade games (War Thunder, Ace Combat 7) and VR-compatible serious simulators (DCS, IL2GB), all of them do include 3D clouds only. Clouds in Cliffs of Dover are flat 2D projections and this is not very VR-compatible. Pattle already stated the following in the present thread: "VR was never coming about before TrueSky. TrueSky is still in development. It is a complicated program that we need to implement correctly from the get go. Once we have bedded in TrueSky, VR becomes a priority."

All simulators end up being obsolete, but in my opinion this will not happen to "Cliffs of Dover" until 2030 unless a completely new software appears in the market, offering a better quality in terms of simulated realism. Let's be patient now and, if I'm not wrong, we'll have 10 more years of pure fun.

3 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

In my understanding, the priority for TFS is not the weather but the implementation of 3D clouds (either thank to TrueSky or thank to a different software) so that VR becomes possible or at least aestically sense-making in a VR environment. VR-compatible arcade games (War Thunder, Ace Combat 7) and VR-compatible serious simulators (DCS, IL2GB), all of them do include 3D clouds only. Clouds in Cliffs of Dover are flat 2D projections and this is not very VR-compatible. Pattle already stated the following in the present thread: "VR was never coming about before TrueSky. TrueSky is still in development. It is a complicated program that we need to implement correctly from the get go. Once we have bedded in TrueSky, VR becomes a priority."

All simulators end up being obsolete, but in my opinion this will not happen to "Cliffs of Dover" until 2030 unless a completely new software appears in the market, offering a better quality in terms of simulated realism. Let's be patient now and, if I'm not wrong, we'll have 10 more years of pure fun.

I have not seen anyone in this thread register surprise or complaint that VR implementation might not be available in Spring of 2021. Note the emoji in the OP. I believe the anticipated order of implementation of various game enhancements was described in the August 14 developer' post. As per that post there are several desired enhancements described prior to mention of VR. To put a finer point on it, I am not necessarily expecting that VR would follow as the next enhancement after Truesky implementation. Remember also that VR implementation is contingent on the definition of game marketing "success".  I suspect that most folks familiar with this forum appreciate the uncertainties involved.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Mnkylord said:

Mostly because I have to, right? ūüėĄ

What you "have to" is to purchase "Cliffs of Dover BLITZ" now... as it is sold for 6.24 dollars only!!!!! Look!!!!!

(until November the 3rd, 2020, only)

It's now or never my friend...

• Haha 1

Hah! Appreciate the heads up. I do have Blitz already! ūüėĄ

I haven't cranked it up in ages though. After scoring my Rift-S and tasting flight in VR (via BoS , Flying Circus, and DCS), I've found it impossible to go back to TrackIR and really enjoy it. 

Battle of Britain and North Africa are my two favorite theaters, though, so I'll definitely be watching and waiting!

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, messsucher said:

Not really a biggie since in Battles VR is working good.

Ah just worked this out, nevermind. Waiting on VR to make the jump as I cant really play outside it anymore but in no hurry as Ive got quite a few other sims. Will be great when it finally rolls around though.

Edited by D3vil
2 minutes ago, D3vil said:

Ah just worked this out, nevermind. Waiting on VR to make the jump as I cant really play outside it anymore but in no hurry as Ive got quite a few other sims. Will be great when it finally rolls around though.

Yeah.

I would be satisfied to have a BoB era Spitfire and Bf-109 as collector planes in Il-2 BoX. Whether or not Blitz ever gets to VR would be of less interest then since to me it is all about the in-cockpit experience. After all, the MC.202 is represented in both sims. Why not a few more? The more happy players the better.

VorpX?  Until now I have never heard of it....so I just checked in with VorpX’s Official site. Fascinating ...has anyone actually tried this with CloDDWT? If so does it work well enough to invest in the relatively low cost of buying it to test? Since it is obviously be a while before we get VR here this might be a low priced alternative?

Edited by Blitzen
12 hours ago, Blitzen said:

VorpX?  Until now I have never heard of it....so I just checked in with VorpX’s Official site. Fascinating ...has anyone actually tried this with CloDDWT? If so does it work well enough to invest in the relatively low cost of buying it to test? Since it is obviously be a while before we get VR here this might be a low priced alternative?

No.

That's my personal opinion.  

It can be done and it takes alot of goofing around to get it to work.  Mouse cursor does not exist, head tracking needs tweaking, various profiles to import and alot of trial and error.

I gave up on it.  It's one of the reasons I bought Tobruk.  That and supporting the crew developing it.

We knew (know) the contract.  Purchase to support if you want to see proper VR in this title.  No $, no development.  That's business.

They are doing the best they can.  I am patient.

If I want I can play pancake in the meantime.  Box is also a pleasant distraction.

Edit back to Vorpx:. Buy if you like because it works for many old titles including 1946.  Just don't expect good results with Clod/Tobruk. (3D vision glasses also gave me issues with this title "back in the day".)

Edited by JG51_Beazil
3 hours ago, Dog3SkyDog3 said:

Re VR delayed, I specifically bought this game because it claimed it has VR. I certainly have not had VR start under any of the missions etc.

SO I CLAIM TO RIGHT TO A REFUND. No VR no want

This game certainly never claimed to have VR. Please do tell where you found this information of yours (store page or similar).

Great Battles does support VR but that's a different engine & game branch unrelated to Cliffs of Dover and Desert Wings.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Karaya said:

This game certainly never claimed to have VR. Please do tell where you found this information of yours (store page or similar).

Great Battles does support VR but that's a different engine & game branch unrelated to Cliffs of Dover and Desert Wings.

I suspect the post you are referencing was made in jest.

1 hour ago, BOO said:

odd humour

Blitz/DWT is "last man standing" in flatscreen combat flight sims and on track to progress nicely for the foreseeable future. There is a Channel map coming to GB that will have VR. I am uncertain that a VR edition of Blitz/DWT is warranted given the resources that would probably be needed to make it happen. Right now seems we are in a win-win situation so no need to be hyper-vigilant for references to "VR".

VR will come. We intended and hoped it would come earlier, but unfortunately it was wasn't possible to include it in the release of DW. If we had done so then it would have delayed release of the game even further than it was already delayed.

VR implementation is delayed, not 'under consideration' (being considered). It will be implemented.

If you think about the amount of work remaining for us after release of DW (for ex. implementing  the new weather system, and the inevitable post release fixes, together with new terrain improvements), then you will see that also implementing VR will take time to do.

As mentioned before, our estimates relating to all of these improvements were too ambitious.

Edited by major_setback
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Blitz/DWT is "last man standing" in flatscreen combat flight sims and on track to progress nicely for the foreseeable future. There is a Channel map coming to GB that will have VR. I am uncertain that a VR edition of Blitz/DWT is warranted given the resources that would probably be needed to make it happen. Right now seems we are in a win-win situation so no need to be hyper-vigilant for references to "VR".

what the hell are you banging on about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, =SFF=_cercataa said:

Why support HOTAS if not the whole community is ussing one ?

The whole community would benefit from the income generated by the sales of people that will buy it if it has VR.

What don't you understand about the above major_setback's statements?

"VR will come" means "VR will come".

The present thread is nothing but a waste of time with people not understanding, or not wanting to understand, what it is being said about VR in this game. The thread should have been closed by the admins a long time ago.

1 hour ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

What don't you understand about the above major_setback's statements?

"VR will come" means "VR will come".

The present thread is nothing but a waste of time with people not understanding, or not wanting to understand, what it is being said about VR in this game. The thread should have been closed by the admins a long time ago.

Closing a given thread would probably not end posts about VR unless such posts were explicitly prohibited. I imagine you could request such a prohibition if you think it's warranted.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
On 10/11/2020 at 10:02 AM, zzzxxxxzzz said:

???

This is a forum. Our conversation is at least as pointless as you conversation with kraut1

No mate, it's the endless feud. It's boring. Air combat simmers act like we're the middle east with endless hate. Just let it go.

On 10/15/2020 at 6:40 AM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Cliffs of Dovers biggest hurdle is PR. There are more than a few incredibly rude posts that turn a lot of us off. I'm saying that as a massive Cliffs fanboi.

Same reason I used to boycott IL2 Great Battles. Early on some of the devs acted like tools. Cliffs has some ground to make up and the key to that is not acting like a jackass to potential customers.

This fanboi has still not bought the latest Cliffs of Dover. I'm waiting to see if we get an attitude change.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
On 10/10/2020 at 8:03 AM, Mysticpuma said:

Just in case you don't scout around other forums, Pattle has posted the following update:

649092873_VRUPDATE.thumb.JPG.a932c93b9de7b69a0c62bee197ddc096.JPG

I would ask you not to continue to post this type of misinformation.

The timetable for VR was clearly laid out in my post here:

Nothing has changed.

• Upvote 1

If nothing has changed, why did Pattle say "pushed back" when answering directly a question "is the original timeframe still current"? That original timeframe being spring 21 earliest as laid out in your post as you linked. If it's not been pushed back then your official spokesman is the one posting misinformation no? You can't both be right and to threaten MysticPuma with a ban (almost a month since originally posting) for simply relaying a post from the ATAG forum here seems, well, a bit harsh.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, major_setback said:

VR will come. We intended and hoped it would come earlier, but unfortunately it was wasn't possible to include it in the release of DW. If we had done so then it would have delayed release of the game even further than it was already delayed.

VR implementation is delayed, not 'under consideration' (being considered). It will be implemented.

If you think about the amount of work remaining for us after release of DW (for ex. implementing  the new weather system, and the inevitable post release fixes, together with new terrain improvements), then you will see that also implementing VR will take time to do.

As mentioned before, our estimates relating to all of these improvements were too ambitious.

I don't know how to reconcile the quoted post with the original statement of 14 August. My understanding from that original projection is that starting work on a VR implementation is contingent upon reasonable sales success. Further, VR is at the bottom of a list of planned feature enhancements. By those standards VR  implementation is not being "delayed".

This is what Buzzsaw states:

" At earliest, it will be added in early 2021... and it is more than likely it will be some time into the new year."

I think what Pattle was getting at is that VR is likely to slip past early 2021, and Buzzsaw was stating that it's still planned for sometime in 2021... like middle of the year.

Ok guys... let's all have a big breath of fresh air and forget this insignificant misunderstanding, whoever started it.

We know that VR is officially planned for this game and what we do need is one thing only: patience. Everything else is gossip and, IMHO, a complete waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1