No change to VR timetable

Mysticpuma

Just in case you don't scout around other forums, Pattle has posted the following update:  INCORRECT.

CORRECTION by Buzzsaw:

No change to VR Timetable:

649092873_VRUPDATE.thumb.JPG.a932c93b9de7b69a0c62bee197ddc096.JPG

• Sad 1

343KKT_Kintaro

No problem with that. I prefer the whole thing runs smoothly after waiting two years for it, rather than the developers precipitate it and we have a unsatisfactory in-game VR.

• Upvote 4

I'm not really a VR guy so it doesn't really impact me. I'm more looking forward to the new trueSky weather engine; and maybe some other things. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

343KKT_Kintaro
12 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

I'm more looking forward to the new trueSky weather engine;

Agreed. I'm no developer, but in my humble opinion: no volumetric 3D clouds, no VR. We need a strong 3D basis if we want this game truly turns VR-compatible. But it seems we have a few simmers out there who are saying something like:

Simmer: I want you to bring VR compatibility to this game.

Developer: Ok, let me assess a potential schedule so that I...

Simmer: It's 10 a.m. right? I want this for 9.50 a.m.... today.

12 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

and maybe some other things.

Agreed. There are plenty of other things that, in my opinion, are closer to what I consider real priorities.

• Haha 1

I guess I'll have to stop trying to use my self designed headset with Desert Wings just hoping I'd be ready when VR started...D___n!

stock-photo-portrait-of-young-child-pretend-to-be-businessman-nerd-kid-with-toy-virtual-reality-headset-child-450428581.jpg

As someone who has used vorpx to force VR into Star Citizen because I got tired of waiting for them to implement it, I'd much rather wait longer for Team Fusion to implement an effective, well done VR experience into their game, much as Great Battles has done

Edited by Charlo-VR
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

It's great that this sort of information is published on the ATAG forums, and not here on the official forum.

He was answering a question, it is not an official statement

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, zzzxxxxzzz said:

Not sure why an "official statement" would be expected.

Will make an official statement when we have more information worthy of an official statement in relation to VR.

A question was asked. I answered it. 👍

VR was never coming about before TrueSky.  TrueSky is still in development. It is a complicated program that we need to implement correctly from the get go.

Once we have bedded in TrueSky, VR becomes a priority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

Hi,

from my point of view the most importent feature of VR is a stereoscopic cockpit and the plane itself.

Some minutes ago I flew a mission with 1946 BAT and VorpX. The gun sight of my BF109-F4 was bend 90° by a hit of a Mig-3 and I was able to read even the serial Number of Revi gun sight when I moved my head forward and this was real stereoscopic vision.

But I agree clouds are importent too.

Best regards

13 hours ago, zzzxxxxzzz said:

How much more "official" does it need to be than TFS's official spokesperson posting in a public forum? Are you suggesting its not true and he lied? Or he didn't know so just made it up?

343KKT_Kintaro
20 minutes ago, kraut1 said:

[...] 1946 BAT and VorpX [...] and this was real stereoscopic vision.

No, it's not real stereoscopic vision. Stereoscopic vision is nothing but a perception artifact of our brains, same as perception as a whole. In the '46 game and in the Dover series, there's no real stereoscopic vision because in those sims the image is a 3D representation... on a 2D monitor: with such games we are in front of a flat image. On the contrary, a VR helmet projects two slightly different images directly before your eyes and fools your brain, creating a real stereoscopic vision. The VR helmet really replaces your environment's stereoscopic vision by another stereoscopic vision. When you play your 1946 game, you stare at an object in front of you, a flat monitor, nothing to do with simulated stereoscopic vision.

To zzzxxxxzzz and No.54_Reddog: your personal little disagreement is pointlsess and of no interest for the community of IL2CoD simmers. Pattle already answered, he stated something elswhere, he stated something here... and I don't know what more could be said.

6 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

No, it's not real stereoscopic vision. Stereoscopic vision is nothing but a perception artifact of our brains, same as perception as a whole. In the '46 game and in the Dover series, there's no real stereoscopic vision because in those sims the image is a 3D representation... on a 2D monitor: with such games we are in front of a flat image. On the contrary, a VR helmet projects two slightly different images directly before your eyes and fools your brain, creating a real stereoscopic vision. The VR helmet really replaces your environment's stereoscopic vision by another stereoscopic vision. When you play your 1946 game, you stare at an object in front of you, a flat monitor, nothing to do with simulated stereoscopic vision.

To zzzxxxxzzz and No.54_Reddog: your personal little disagreement is pointlsess and of no interest for the community of IL2CoD simmers. Pattle already answered, he stated something elswhere, he stated something here... and I don't know what more could be said.

Hi 343KKT_Kintaro,

Sorry, when you use VorpX you can see clearly the difference when toggle with Enable/Disable Stereo 3D. But this works currently only with 1946. In CLOD I agree with you: no stereoscopic vision only flat 2D Vision.

Best regards

343KKT_Kintaro
9 minutes ago, kraut1 said:

this works currently only with 1946.

I gnore what this new feature is, but staring at a flat monitor has nothing to do with stereoscopic vision. Not to be rude... but naming "stereoscopic vision" an image that is visible on a flat monitor is nothing but a self-contradiction.

1 minute ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Might just be a "tongue in cheek" aspect to the OP.

OP ? Do you mean "original post" ?

2 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I gnore what this new feature is, but staring at a flat monitor has nothing to do with stereoscopic vision. Not to be rude... but naming "stereoscopic vision" an image that is visible on a flat 

Sorry a misundstanding: I use s Rift'S, not a monitor

343KKT_Kintaro

This clarifies a lot...

I'll ask a friend of mine he tries this feature in '46. He uses a Reverb and I'll need he accepts to reinstall the old good '46! Not gonna be easy, but I'll try anyway. I possess no VR helmet, thus I can't try myself.

2 hours ago, No.54_Reddog said:

How much more "official" does it need to be than TFS's official spokesperson posting in a public forum? Are you suggesting its not true and he lied? Or he didn't know so just made it up?

Ah? So all TFS members only can say anything if already they said it here. I think what he said it's true, so? is not the point.

343KKT_Kintaro

• Upvote 2

My takeaway is that I do not see any evidence that there are new forum members complaining about a "delay" in a VR implementation. Seems like there are the same posters to this thread now who were present before the DWT release. Further, I don't see any representation that any work had been started on a VR implementation. If nothing regarding the VR aspiration has changed then perhaps this is a thread about nothing at all.

2 more cents: I play with a now 2 year old Pimax 5K+ headset in Great Battles, and so Gb has dominated my game play , the original IL-2 and to a lesser degree CloD Blitz have fallen away from constant use , even though I still have easy access to them both.VR has such a great “WoW” factor despite its hit on FPS and its SDE clarity issues ( the new generation on headsets & gamecards that are just now coming along now will go a long way to solving these problems and I’m in the waiting line for both of these new items...) BUT I do have to admit that Desert Wings Tobruk has dragged me back to enjoying it and CloD Blitz and its Battle of Britain map & missions. Its just fun to come back to the sims and Track IR still works well without the sometimes headaches of fine tuning Pimax with Pitool. I think I probably play each sim about 50% of the time,  though this may change a bit with changes and additions to each of the sims: Battle of Normandy and its great new planes and DWT with new missions/campaigns gameplay ,weather eye candy , new map or two,and QM utilities and ultimately VR. What I’m trying to say is that I can wait for a complete workable for VR and still have fun with DWT,after all look at the long awaited giant step it has just given us!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

???

This is a forum. Our conversation is at least as pointless as you conversation with kraut1

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

This clarifies a lot...

I'll ask a friend of mine he tries this feature in '46. He uses a Reverb and I'll need he accepts to reinstall the old good '46! Not gonna be easy, but I'll try anyway. I possess no VR helmet, thus I can't try myself.

I use as additional Software VorpX. It costs about 40 Euros.

If you buy it you should be aware that it could be that it does not work on your computer. Maybe you need very much time for testing and getting the settings.

But for me it is good and I like it. For tracking I use Opentrack.

Another reason whyI  like it is that I have the Old IL2 since 2001 and it is fascinating for me to play it now with VR.

Here some links for Info:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=63030.0

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62928.0.html

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/61872-my-il2-dark-blue-world-vr-oculus-rift-s-settings/

For Test I recommend V 4.12.2m with SAS Mod Activator 5.30.

If it works well on your computer with VorpX and Opentrack you should install the BAT Mod.

And  there are some HD 2K Skins available.

In the next week I will publish my IL2 1946 BAT Settings.

Best regards

343KKT_Kintaro
1 hour ago, zzzxxxxzzz said:

???

This is a forum. Our conversation is at least as pointless as you conversation with kraut1

Official/not official... this is pointless in the present case. The info remains the same.

VR/Not VR... is on topic and, on top of that, one user in these forums taught me that the other IL-2 game that is usually considered as not VR-compatible, in fact can be VR-compatible because of one specific driver. That's all my friend.

Kraut1: thank you for those infos, my colleague doesn't want to go back '46 and I currently have four sims in my computer right now, so... But anyway, I'll keep the infos in mind, thank you.

1 hour ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Official/not official... this is pointless in the present case. The info remains the same.

VR/Not VR... is on topic and, on top of that, one user in these forums taught me that the other IL-2 game that is usually considered as not VR-compatible, in fact can be VR-compatible because of one specific driver. That's all my friend.

What you say mr moderator

343KKT_Kintaro

Announcement done on August the 15th, 2020: We have previously done some preliminary work which indicated VR was something which the game could be adapted to use, but this test was very much an Alpha and will require substantial development. We know this is a priority for many in the community and realize the future for gaming will likely see the number of VR users increase.

Statement of October the 8th, 2020: VR timeframe is likely to be pushed back at this time.

The above is all what Pattle have said... nothing else ! At no time has TFS announced a deadline. TFS is not required to adhere to any schedule. That's the real thing. Everything else is pointless... or irrelevant... or... whatever word you want to put on it.

• Upvote 3

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

I wait more for TrueSky than VR simply because it will add a lot to the atmosphere of the sim. Better clouds and all that. After that VR will be more immersive for sure. Schedule? When ready :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

9./JG52_J-HAT

To he fair, this was the complete official statement on VR from Buzzsaw on August15th:

- Addition of a Virtual Reality viewing system.

This is a larger project, and will take a great deal of work and development.  At earliest, it will be added in early 2021... and it is more than likely it will be some time into the new year.

We have previously done some preliminary work which indicated VR was something which the game could be adapted to use, but this test was very much an Alpha and will require substantial development.

We know this is a priority for many in the community and realize the future for gaming will likely see the number of VR users increase.

At earliest added in early 2021 was the most optimistic estimate. Sure I‘d like it sooner than later, but to be honest I was counting more on it being released later („more than likely (...) some tome into the new year“), as posted in the official announcement. Also given the „delays“ (if you compare the actual release to some of the initial estimates from the community) that Tobruk had for its release.

I hope this estimate still stands and only the more optimistic timeframe cannot be achieved.

• Like 3

343KKT_Kintaro

Roger that, I read too fast.

In any case, apparently some VR users can no longer hold in their impatience when it comes to talk about VR compatibility in Cliffs of Dover. That's not so bad, it means they know it's a great simulator. But the problem with impatience is that impatience is not productive at all. If we have a minimum of an adult's maturity, we have to face one fact: there are very few software products out there that are really able to bring us serious simulations on the air combats that happened back in the first half of the 20th century. Their respective developing teams (I talk about DCS, RoF, IL2GB, & IL2CoD) are not like those of massive blockbusters like NBA 2K20, War Thunder or Ace Combat. If I mentioned one basketball game, not dealing with aviation, this is because the roots of our problem anchor deept into the domain of the video game industry. We really are living a previleged era of new combat flight sims and the release of DW Tobruk last Summer proves it. BUT... we simmers have to understand that our favourite genre's developers are not numerous and have limited ressources. Schedules cannot always be sustained, we have to deal with that. If one product of our favourite genre has to come later than expected, so it will be, end of story. As an example, simply compare the time it takes to 777/1CGS to release one Great Battles module after an announcement is done: two/three years. It took four years to TFS to bring us DW - Tobruk after the announcement has been done in 2016. Why? because on one hand we have 777/1CGS teams being paid for what they do... and on the other hand we have a TFS team of volonteers not being paid for what they do. At some point in the future they will be paid for what theid did with Tobruk, but the fact is taht hese guys have been working for free for the last eight years since 2012 because they knew from the very beginning that this game is the best in terms of combat flight realism. Thus, if we want this game keeps developing, if we want this game goes to VR, if we want new add-ons, we have to be PATIENT and support OUR developers. The release of a VR-compatible Cliffs of Dover is a challenge that is on our shoulders too, not only on theirs. Everything else is nothing but childish whining.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

major_setback

Work continues on improving the game.

We are a small team. The same people working on Clouds/weather will be later working on VR. Only one thing can be done at a time, unfortunately.

VR is now judged to take more time to implement than was originally thought. We are not delaying the onset of work on any of the improvements, but now have a more realistic estimate of how long the work will take.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I hadn’t heard of truesky before.  Best of luck with that, it sounds like a very good addition to the game. 

No, neither have I, So I'm keen as mustard to see how this fly's (no pun intended).

Here is a pic I posted last year for those that haven't seen it. 

The quality is outstanding, and this pic taken not long after we started investigating it's viability.

Hopefully the community, who haven't seen this, will understand why we have prioritised TrueSky as our first major update to the game engine and why we are not rushing it's release.

It will be worth the wait :).

TFS Weather.png

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

343KKT_Kintaro

Yep, I remember this image.

Going back to the gigantic mass of clouds visible on the above screenshot... is all of this a volumetric mass of clouds that are "really" up there in the atmosphere, such that a player on board this Spitfire could take off and fly among those clouds, inside them, above them, etc?

• Buzzsaw locked this topic