shaky 2D gunsights in VR

BlakeStone

Just got Tank Crew today. I am aware of the bugs in VR such as issues such as player not rotating with the turret etc.

Besides this annoying are probably the 2D gunsights and violent shaking in gunsights despite being static. Does anyone else have this shaking issue with gunsights? I have Rift CV1 HMD.

• 1 month later...

Also have a CV1.

Do you mean the internal gunsights in the tank, or the "press face into gunsight" mode? It's definitely shaky for me in the latter, former is fine but everything is so small I can't make out the numbers on the ranging marks and the zoom is so small I can't see anything past about 500m.

Binoculars are also incredibly shaky. Using them is a "Michael J. Fox on cocaine" simulator. Hilariously enough if you actually hold the HMD with your hands like you would real binoculars it helps :biggrin:

Edited by Altair3go
  • Upvote 1

I have a Rift and I use 2 buttons for VR zoom and to be honest I think that max zoom in VR is very good. The sights are clear but how you use them on the T-34 and Sherman is unclear.

• Upvote 1

Vr user, my view/sights rotate with the turret and the only time it shakes is when I fire the gun (or get hit!) When I use the maximum zoom in gunsight mode  it is really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you suggesting that ASW is making the 2-d shake?  I don't think so that's the case.  When I fly in a bomber and use the bombsight (in VR) it is rock steady.  When I get into a tank and use the gunsight view it is a shake fest.  

It really needs to be steady in order to be used correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
Count_Sessine

I have the same problem, the 2D gunsight in VR is very shaky. Very unpleasant and it makes it hard to aim. I wonder why some of us don't have the problem..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:27 PM, AntonVP said:

This is not what we are referring to.

I haven’t checked since the last patch but what we are encountering is a shaky screen when using VR and locked into a 2-d interface.  In this case the main gunsight view and binocular view.  Oddly, the bombsight on planes doesn’t suffer the same.

I thought I read something in the patch notes that might have addressed this but sadly I am away for Christmas and haven’t been able to check.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tested the free tanks as I consider pulling the trigger on TC. Unfortunately the shaking of the gunsight (and binoculars) makes it really hard and not so enjoyable to play.

Would very much like to hear from the devs if this is something to be improved or if it "works as intended". Like @WIS-Redcoat mentioned, the bombsight is rock steady. 

Just tested as well. The issue lies with the fact that you are already zoomed in when you go into the gunsight. You'll notice it with your HUD size or when pause the game, the menu is huge.

This means movements in your headset will be amplified as if you were at full zoom. They are then amplified further when you zoom in more.

I assume this is because the gunsight is deliberately small for the 2D screen and in order to not make it too small in VR they have added additional zoom.

It makes sense as it gives you the perception of looking down a sight but obviously makes it an unpleasant experience to use. Not sure what the solution is, whether it's possible for there to be a different, larger sight for VR users to give a similar experience as the bomb sight.

The_Grim_1

I found this thread while searching for a solution to this very problem. The simplest and best solution would be to simply "lock" the view on the screen. I agree its very small micro movement amplified by the  zoom. Even when I lean back onto my headrest to see how much It can be mitigated I can "see" my heartbeat! 

335th_grFirdimigdi

Some damping of movement when zooming in would help. Not by a whole lot even, just a fraction of a degree of acceleration would be enough to stabilize it sort of emulating what you do when holding binoculars or looking down a scope IRL. Maybe even a tiny amount of vignette as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, DD_Crash said:

I have a Rift and I use 2 buttons for VR zoom and to be honest I think that max zoom in VR is very good. The sights are clear but how you use them on the T-34 and Sherman is unclear.

Hi, could you tell me please what buttons do you use? Im using rft S, and when I use the designed zoom buttons or the mouse wheel, nothing happens.... only If I play en 2d (without VR) the zoom works. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, Sryan said:

So is there any idea for a fix or at least a measure one can take to alleviate this?

This is the only thing holding me back from buying this, tried the free tanks in VR and was blown away by the immersion but then trying to aim at targets turns into a mess with VR zoom, ultimately the point of crewing the tanks is to be able to aim and fire at targets! :(

Praying there's a fix, it'd be so good if there was a simple 'scope' zoom button rather than relying on the VR zoom.

p.s. Steam buyer so no banners on the left.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, DD_Crash said:

Settings are in Pilot head controls

Quick zoom 1 and quick zoom 3

This works fine. Yes you have to hold the button but I cant say I have seen the view shake except when the gun goes bang :)

In the T34 have you tried the second Shift T to go to the periscope, that is zoomed in more than the gunsight zoom? does that work? @DD_Crash do you use that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

It's probably been posted before but I've added a suggestion for a gunsight zoom option for TC in VR (2D can use the mouse wheel) 

Hopefully it'll get read.

Jamie

• 2 months later...
Elidji

I've got the same problem, really hard to aim in VR because of that.

• 1 month later...
CacooLR07
the same for me. the aim is perfect with my monitor but very shaky with the VR.
It's a shame because otherwise the immersion is really good.
hopefully an update ... how would I say ?? fast.;)

• Like 1

Goffik
Posted (edited)

It's not really the game's fault though. When you're zoomed in at all (the default gun sight view is zoomed itself), any slight movement of your head becomes amplified. Combine that with any form of ASW and that is what can lead to a lot of "shaking", because of the way in which ASW works. You can reduce the shaking by making sure you're running at a constant 90fps (or whatever) so that ASW never kicks in, but good luck with that in this sim.

Edited by Goffik

• 1 month later...
WIS-Redcoat
On 6/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Goffik said:

It's not really the game's fault though. When you're zoomed in at all (the default gun sight view is zoomed itself), any slight movement of your head becomes amplified. Combine that with any form of ASW and that is what can lead to a lot of "shaking", because of the way in which ASW works. You can reduce the shaking by making sure you're running at a constant 90fps (or whatever) so that ASW never kicks in, but good luck with that in this sim.

This is not what is happening.  If you go into the bombsight of a plane (while in VR) it is perfectly steady.  The gun sight has something else going on.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:22 PM, WIS-Redcoat said:

This is not what is happening.

Yes, it is what's happening. Happens in IL-2, happens in every other sim I own that allows various forums of zooming, particularly when FPS is struggling. If they have a method that stops this issue for the bombsight then great, they can maybe apply it to the gunsight too. Doesn't change the root cause though.