Sign in to follow this  
Yardstick

Encoder weirdness

I recently bought a button box and am in the process of mapping it in various sims.  It has 4 rotary encoders with push function (1 full rotation takes 20 clicks).  I have been experimenting with assigning one of these as an additional elevator trim control as it gives me finer control than the 4 way hat on my cougar throttle that I use as my primary trim switch.  The encoders seem to work nicely moving the axis c. 2.5% for every click.  However, for some reason if I try to use them for those planes with adjustable stabilisers (109 & 190), they don't work.  However, the throttle hat works fine for both elevator trim and adjustable stabilisers. 

Why would the encoder work with one trim function and not the other?

17 hours ago, Yardstick said:

The encoders seem to work nicely moving the axis c. 2.5% for every click.  However, for some reason if I try to use them for those planes with adjustable stabilisers (109 & 190), they don't work.  However, the throttle hat works fine for both elevator trim and adjustable stabilisers.

In my experience encoders do work for stabilizers, but for me they are not reliable in this function.

You can safely use push buttons, momentary switches, or even potmeters instead.

I guess it's because the stabilizer control (as modeled in the game) expects continuous imput, while encoders signal a series of short keypresses which don't seem to register reliably.

Besides, setting stabilizer controls has some quirks in the game.

Don't set them while in the QMB or sitting in a plane. Try this:

- Key settings / Adjustable Stabilizer Axis => one click up, one click down

- Apply

- Exit settings

- Start QMB, select another plane, test.

I figured it was probably something like this. Doesn't really make sense from an end users perspective though.  Why programme what is essentially the same function differently.  Whether the trim wheel / switch is moving the whole horizontal stabiliser or a trim tab through either an electrical servo or a direct cable linkage, it all has the same effect.  

Yep, for me it's a nuisance rather than a feature, but there are voiceful people here who seek realism in unhandy solutions.

Nonetheless, if you have access to the firmware of your box, you may want to fiddle a bit with signal lengths and delay times to see if it helps.

I went the easier route and assigned a separate switch button to stabilizers.

What functions do people map to their encoders?

Mine are 3 button which works nicely for a single trim axis and trim reset.  However, I have 4 of them and I'm struggling to find other functions that map logically to a 3 button rotary encoder.

In total across 5 controllers, I have 80 buttons, switches and hats as well as 10 axes, so have most of the functions I need already mapped.  I'm now thinking more about setting things up as logically as I can with similar functions grouped together on controllers that mirror the real world equivalent as intuitively as I can make them (i.e. rotary dials mapped to rotary controllers, analogue levers to axes, switches to switches etc). 

Posted (edited)

I have 3 encoders with one push button each. It's a DIY box with MMJoy (8 analogue, 3 encoders, 36 buttons).

Each encoder is assigned to one trim axis: pitch, yaw, aileron.

Encoder push button (1) for "cockpit lights"; (2) "all trims to neutral"; (3) "link turbo with throttle". (Could have been assigned elsewhere, but I run out of buttons.)

Switch button (1) for stabilizers; (2) flaps; (3) propeller pitch if manual; (4) left/right if autopilot is active; (5) voice level.

Analogue axis (1) for mixture; (2) RPM control; (3) turbo RPM if manual; (4) throttle.

The rest is assigned to push buttons.

Edited by sniperton