Desktop Zen3 Ryzen CPUs will be announced/released next week and there are rumors that the 12 core Ryzen 5900x will come with 5.0 GHz boost clock and 150W TDP. 

The CPU is also rumored to bring a 20%IPC  improvement, on top of the 400MHz boost advantage over the 3900x.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-vermeer-12-core-24-thread-cpu-allegedly-up-to-5-ghz-150w-tdp/

Exciting times indeed. 😀 I'm very curios about the gaming performance of Zen3. If they are really great i may be tempted to swap my 3950x. 

Edited by Jaws2002
55 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

Unfortunately for AMD ... the 3080 GPU is not Intel ... but Nvidia !

But I too hope AMD gets it right this time !

This Nvidia launch was pretty messed up. A lot of issues with crashes and no stock. They just released a new driver to fix issues with this crashes, but many people think they'll just limit the maximum boost the cards can achieve. 

Their last two series did follow Intel's pricing strategies and while their cards are fast, they are not exactly power efficient. Just look at the huge jump in power consumption over last generation. 

Lot of people will have PSU issues with this cards. 

I don't think they can perform miracles, but TSMC's 7+ nm node is superior to the Samsung 8nm, that Nvidia is using. So theoretically a card with 80  compute units, on the 7+nm node could get close to Nvidia level performance.

Edited by Jaws2002

As I recall, wasn't it mentioned during one of the PS5 videos that the reason it topped out at 2.23 Ghz was a logic problem? 

If AMD has been able to run that to ground in the final RDNA2 silicon, I see no reason why they couldn't be trying for a 2.5Ghz chip. Though from what I'm hearing, it's for the 40CU part, and the 80CU chips are only running at 2.05Ghz.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, Jaws2002 said:

Another Zen3 leak. It's a leak, so take it with a grain of salt.

AoS benchmark shows Ryzen 5800x outperforming the 10900k.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vermeer-8-core-16-thread-zen-3-cpu-benchmark-leaks-out/

AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X-8-Core-16-Thread-Zen-3

Question to mods. Why was the a thread about CPUs merged with a thread about GPUs? 

Makes no sense.

Because if you're looking to buy Zen 3 then you'll probably be looking closely at RDNA2 as well and vis versa. My Vega will become a Big Navi and my Zen 2 will become Zen 3. 

Zen 3 looks like it may be a really good architecture. 

If they can bump the clock speed 300-400 MHz, on top of the IPC gain and unified cache system, this things will be screaming in games. 

I want to get a Graphics card first, but I'll see how things turn out this fall. I may swap the cpu as well.

1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

Zen 3 looks like it may be a really good architecture. 

If they can bump the clock speed 300-400 MHz, on top of the IPC gain and unified cache system, this things will be screaming in games. 

I want to get a Graphics card first, but I'll see how things turn out this fall. I may swap the cpu as well.

I’m in the market for a new CPU and have been waiting for this launch. This stuff is looking encouraging but I’m trying to stay levelheaded lol.

Me too. Bought a 3700X for my new rig and I'm very happy with it. 

Prices are down on the i7 line at the moment here on Newegg and Amazon. An i7-9700KF is down from $525Cdn. to $450. Don't see that often.

47 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Prices are down on the i7 line at the moment here on Newegg and Amazon. An i7-9700KF is down from $525Cdn. to $450. Don't see that often.

That is partly due to the fact that only very few people see a point in buying 10th gen Intel CPUs. I myself was at that point 8 weeks ago deciding for an i9-9900K or i9-10900K. I went for the i9-9900K because it basically delivers the same performance for 200 EUR less.

I hope the new AMD chip(s) will be a winner, because we really need some more competition in this field.

7 hours ago, messsucher said:

Outside flight sims it is more like "imagine someone using Intel CPU" 😄

I can assure you that plenty of people outside of flight sims are using Intel CPUs.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

I can assure you that plenty of people outside of flight sims are using Intel CPUs.

Could be, and certainly is, it is just nowadays with all these content creators in Youtube AMD CPUs make great deal more sense than Intel's marginally better single core performance.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:30 PM, simfan2015 said:

I agree the nvidia cards are not really innovative at all... Simply more of everything on a smaller node, but nothing extraordinary! But do people really believe amd can or will perform miracles this time!? 

If we consider and analogy with chess playing, the computer won against the world champion by brute force. Deep Blue a computer from IBM beat the world champion Kasparov simply because it could manage analyzing a incredible number of positions per second. A human champion knows what not to consider and what positions are not worth analyzing, techniques to short cut the game tree etc. He also has an incredible memory and so knows game sequences, and what to do in certain situations etc. etc. But if the brute force approach is so powerful then you can skip subtleties and reach the goal by another way much longer and tedious but if you have speed and power enough you will still reach it. Now to be fair Deep Blue had some knowledge of chess programmed by human players, and chess game encyclopedia in its memory but this is okay up to a point, and the brute force made up for the rest.

There may be more elegant and power efficient ways to create and render 3D graphics, but if the brute approach of more of everything does get to the result at an acceptable price, who cares. 

Imagine an intelligent rat that has to move in a labyrinth and has to find its way out. You can have a strategy of always going right when you find a crossroad and if it is a dead-end you come back and move one branch left at the last crossroad, and so on until you are out. In this way you will guarantee not going twice in the same dead ends. However you need to keep track and memorize what you already did at each crossroad. 

Now imagine a completely stupid mechanical rat, but that can move at incredible speed, and turns in a direction at random. He does not keep track of anything. He may go multiple times in the same dead end. There is a good chance he may even beat the intelligent rat and find its way out before him or not. His results will not be consistent and if he does twice the same labyrinth, the timings to get out will vary wildly. With the intelligent rat once he has mapped the labyrinth that's done.

The neural net approach to the game of go was not possible thirty years ago, even if the science of neural networks was already there and many of the topological structures had already been studied. What was lacking then was computer power, speed and enough fast memory. Now that the hardware allows to run millions of neurons with billion of connections at high frequencies then you can have a neural net learn how to beat the human champion of GO in a few days just playing millions of games against itself and improving. Here it is the brute force of learning in a very constrained and well defined domain that wins. But this neural nets have nothing to do with those in the human brain that are utterly more complex biochemical machines. The digital neural nets are extremely simplified basic neurons. But if you can handle gazillions of them with some well designed topology, and orders of magnitude faster that the speed of a natural neuron (like Terahertz against kilohertz or less) then you may end up with the same results (some form of intelligence) but from a completely different way.

Planes fly not by flipping wings, but because we apply some fundamental elements of aerodynamics and fluid physics.

Edited by IckyATLAS
15 hours ago, messsucher said:

Could be, and certainly is, it is just nowadays with all these content creators in Youtube AMD CPUs make great deal more sense than Intel's marginally better single core performance.

If the leaks are true, Intel will lose the marginal edge it has in games. 

AMD is already outselling Intel by a huge margin in the DIY market:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/amd-dominates-intel-in-cpu-sales-at-least-according-to-one-retailer

And overal, is selling more CPUs than intel:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/optocrypto.com/amd-dethrones-intel-best-selling-cpu-company/amp/

Zen 3 will just seal the deal. Intel won't have meaningful competition for at least another year.

If the leaks are true, Intel will lose the marginal edge it has in games. 

AMD is already outselling Intel by a huge margin in the DIY market:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/amd-dominates-intel-in-cpu-sales-at-least-according-to-one-retailer

And overal, is selling more CPUs than intel:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/optocrypto.com/amd-dethrones-intel-best-selling-cpu-company/amp/

Zen 3 will just seal the deal. Intel won't have meaningful competition for at least another year.

Yeah, this was pretty obvious would happen at release of Zen 2. AMD became The King.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:19 PM, RedKestrel said:

I’m in the market for a new CPU and have been waiting for this launch. This stuff is looking encouraging but I’m trying to stay levelheaded lol.

A wise choice.

Fro me at least, if they are able to hit 5.0Ghz in single threaded applications, I'm going to upgrade, though I may wait for the 16 core chips. I really do not enjoy changing the motherboard from my system and want to avoid doing that for as long as possible.

As someone who is overdue a new system I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up to the 3xxx series. I'm not tied to either manufacturer, but over the years have had less driver issues with nvidea.

7 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It‘s CPUs.

They supposedly should be using X570 chipset boards, so nothing new besides the CPUs themselves...

Ack, shows how out of touch I am lol, thought it was a new card.

AMD's streaming title "Where Gaming begins", suggests this announcement will focus on gaming performance, and AMD is going for the last Intel bastion.

...and it really is the last.

My Ryzen 1700 has been stellar at 3D rendering and no slouch at 4K gaming

Edited by Gambit21
1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

It‘s CPUs.

They supposedly should be using X570 chipset boards, so nothing new besides the CPUs themselves...

IIRC they have stated their chips will still be supported on B450 boards as well, with a BIOS update. It will depend I guess on your MOBO manufacturer.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:07 AM, sevenless said:

That is partly due to the fact that only very few people see a point in buying 10th gen Intel CPUs. I myself was at that point 8 weeks ago deciding for an i9-9900K or i9-10900K. I went for the i9-9900K because it basically delivers the same performance for 200 EUR less.

I hope the new AMD chip(s) will be a winner, because we really need some more competition in this field.

There hasn’t been a worthwhile Intel chip upgrade from 1 gen to the next since the 2500k was released. 

3 years ago I went to upgrade it and even after 5 years Intel had nothing that penciled out in performance increase/cost.

That’s why I switched to AMD back then. I don’t see this changing any time soon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hmm... I really don't want to spend almost $500 for a CPU, and I also can't see myself going back down to 6 cores. Thus I'm leaning towards just getting a 3800XT, which Micro Center has for $339. Especially since I don't even know if my mobo (Asus x470) will support the 5000-series processors.

S! 

@unlikely_spider If your mobo has a 32Mb BIOS, then it can support new 5000-series.

Also the sneak peek on the 5900X with the new Radeon 6000-series card at 4K gave quite an indication. In Gears of War using Ultra preset and 4K resolution the combo gave 73fps. At Guru3D the nVidia 3080 managed 76fps using same settings. 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker