ZeroCrack01

Albatros vs Pfalz

Hey i am not very experienced with FC and I tried both the Albatros and Pfalz. They seem very similar but in most guides etc I read that the Albatros seem to have a bad reputation. For me at least it seems a bit faster on a straight line compared to the Pfalz. It is mentioned that the Pfalz is kinda good at diving, but I don't know, diving is quite limited by your RPM anyways. So can you experience guys point out the fine differences between those two planes?

Big thanks in advance 😊

The albatros climbs a little better and is a tad bit faster, but its wings are weaker and break more easily. It retains its energy better than the pfalz in horizontal turns.

The Pfalz is more durable. It can withstand more damage, higher speeds in a dive and can pull tighter turns at high speed bacause of this. It retains its energy better than the albatros in vertical turns.

Both planes maneuver about the same, with a slight advantage given to the albatros.

All in all, I prefer the pfalz because of its durability and its strong dive. Both have gotten me out of many sticky situations. (I also prefer the way it looks)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HotWaffle said:

The albatros climbs a little better and is a tad bit faster, but its wings are weaker and break more easily. It retains its energy better than the pfalz in horizontal turns.

The Pfalz is more durable. It can withstand more damage, higher speeds in a dive and can pull tighter turns at high speed bacause of this. It retains its energy better than the albatros in vertical turns.

Both planes maneuver about the same, with a slight advantage given to the albatros.

All in all, I prefer the pfalz because of its durability and its strong dive. Both have gotten me out of many sticky situations. (I also prefer the way it looks)

The pfalz is indeed a beautiful plane. Hmm, maybe i will like it more as a fw190 fan. Slow but sturdy and good at high speed manoeuvring, and of course, good looking 😜

But still, a little bit speed is also nice, though it is probably not worth anyways compared to allied counterparts. 😏

3 hours ago, HotWaffle said:

2 hours ago, ZeroCrack01 said:

The pfalz is indeed a beautiful plane. Hmm, maybe i will like it more as a fw190 fan. Slow but sturdy and good at high speed manoeuvring, and of course, good looking 😜

Steady on you two types! The Alb, he is beautiful girl. The Pfalz, he is not so nice girl😜

• Haha 1

The current DM has reinterpreted 'durability'.

If you're flying multiplayer you'd be crazy to get in an Albatros if you want to survive.

The D7s, Pfalz, and Dr1 are tanks compared to anything else in the game. Just don't let a bullet hit a control cable.

For SP, I'm not sure it matters.

The Alby is a more stable shooting platform also.

Possibly the most pleasant ww1 crate modelled to fly around in.

So the wings fall off a bit easy - some peopple are never happy.

Pfffft.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

The Alby is a more stable shooting platform also.

Possibly the most pleasant ww1 crate modelled to fly around in.

So the wings fall off a bit easy - some peopple are never happy.

Pfffft.

In the bender and trupo guide they mention though that the Pfalz a stable gun platform. But also out the Alby alone in the worst tier. I was surprised that it is valued that poorly.

I really must experience MP more.

55 minutes ago, ZeroCrack01 said:

But also out the Alby alone in the worst tier. I was surprised that it is valued that poorly.

Don't be fooled Cracky. The beautiful old Alby, yeah he gets a bad rap. But I've experienced dogfighting against Zoo baby in his Alby and gosh the moves he did. :huh:

Lucky for him I was drunk.

And is it the J5 guys? They do okay. In fact, their disdain for the D7 is legendary. And commendable.

• Haha 1

I wouldn't swap  my Albatros for the world :fly: :wacko:

she rolls well, responds well to a gentle hand, and just looks so beautiful doing it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pfalz is good for bouncing lower-altitude 2 seaters.  When the target breaks, those stronger wings allow you to pull a little bit more G to keep your guns on target, without snapping off your wings.

In RoF,  if I would anticipate going up against Camels, I'd choose the Albatros over the Pfalz, because the Albatros could outrun and outclimb a Camel.  You could surprise a gaggle of Camels and keep on going, whereas with the Pfalz it was problematic to disengage, and of course once you are trapped in a turn fight, you are dead.  With the faster FC Camel, the Albatros can't outrun it either, so you are probably just as well off in a Pfalz.

• Like 1

The stronger top wing and its position in the cockpit view is why I dislike the PD3. Always have a feeling I don't know where I'm going. The gap is too narrow - once the enemy starts turning, he gets obscured by that top wing immediately.

Posted (edited)

Ingame spec cards:

Albatros D.Va

Spoiler

Engine
6—cyl. inline Mercedes D. IIIa 180 HP

Dimensions
Height: 2700 mm
Length: 7330 mm
Wing span: 9050 mm
Wing surface:  21.2 sq.m

Weight
Empty: 680 kg
Takeoff: 915 kg
Fuel capacity: 103 l
Oil capacity: 9 l

Climb rate
1000 m —  3 min. 58 sec.
2000 m —  8 min. 33 sec.
3000 m — 14 min. 22 sec.
4000 m — 22 min. 29 sec.
5000 m — 36 min. 41 sec.

Maximum airspeed (IAS)
sea level — 169 km/h
1000 m — 161 km/h
2000 m — 153 km/h
3000 m — 145 km/h
4000 m — 136 km/h
5000 m — 125 km/h
6000 m — 109 km/h

Service ceiling 5400 m

Endurance at 1000 m
nominal power (combat) — 1 h. 40 min.
minimal consumption (cruise) — 4 h. 20 min.

Pfalz D.IIIa

Spoiler

Engine
Inline 6 cyl. Mercedes D.IIIa, 180 hp

Dimensions
Height: 2670 mm
Length: 6950 mm
Wing span: 9400 mm
Wing surface: 22,09 sq.m

Weight
Empty: 725
Takeoff: 905
Fuel capacity: 94 l
Oil capacity: 20 l

Climb rate
1000 m —  3 min. 23 sec.
2000 m —  7 min. 19 sec.
3000 m — 12 min. 02 sec.
4000 m — 18 min. 01 sec.
5000 m — 26 min. 22 sec.
6000 m — 40 min. 53 sec.

Maximum airspeed (IAS)
sea level — 171 km/h
1000 m — 164 km/h
2000 m — 155 km/h
3000 m — 147 km/h
4000 m — 138 km/h
5000 m — 127 km/h
6000 m — 114 km/h

Service ceiling 6100 m

Endurance at 1000m
nominal power (combat) — 1 h. 30 min.
minimal consumption (cruise) — 2 h. 50 min

I am confused by it, i could swear that albatros overtook me easily at 2-3km alt. Also some of you guys says that the alby is a tad faster and climbs bit better. However those offical data sheets tell the opposite. 

Edited by ZeroCrack01

You know what,  they're right! There really aren't enough people flying the Alb. It's certainly a good looking plane and I love seeing them in the air.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1