Battle of France Event - Sunday 4 Oct 1930GMT

Hi All,

TFS Server 3

2030GMT Sunday October 4th, 2020

A re imagining of one of the toughest and intensive ATAG Cliffs of Dover server missions.

Featuring a number of new RAF early war aircraft available with the Tobruk DLC, and for the blue's, the E-4 will be available for the first time.
Can you guess the mission?

Please note: To take part, you will need to own Desert Wings Tobruk.

See you there!

D520 Diving In.jpg

D520 Patrol.jpg

In the Crosshairs 1.jpg

In the Crosshairs 2.jpg

Edited by ATAG_Pattle
  • Like 6

I've been waiting for this since August the 6th and even since it has been announced that the D.520 was planned as a flyable!

1 hour ago, ATAG_Pattle said:

No idea... But smaller battles that were part of what we call the Battle of France are, for example, the Battle of Amiens... the Battle of Dunkirk... what else? Well, let's see next Sunday :)

• Like 1

To you all virtual pilots who are able to speak French, whether you are French or not: this Sunday, do not hesitate to join us on the "Check-Six" TeamSpeak server (94.247.28.168) at 22h15 (currently, Summer time in France). We'll fly proud our D.520s... we'll fly free... to the end if necessary...

8 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

To you all virtual pilots who are able to speak French, whether you are French or not: this Sunday, do not hesitate to join us on the "Check-Six" TeamSpeak server (94.247.28.168) at 22h15 (currently, Summer time in France). We'll fly proud our D.520s... we'll fly free... to the end if necessary...

My french is horrible (vraiment, c'est degaulasse) but man wouldn't it be immersive to fly D.520s with French radio chatter - I might just have to pop by.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, ATAG_Flare said:

My french is horrible (vraiment, c'est degaulasse) but man wouldn't it be immersive to fly D.520s with French radio chatter - I might just have to pop by.

LOL. No worries, bro. We'll be split in different TS servers. A few pilots on our French-Speaking Check-Six TS and a few others, maybe English-Speaking, or maybe even speaking other languages, in other TS servers, or Discord, or whatever other coms software.

On 9/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:
Next year we bring the Hawk 75 🙂

Hi All,

TFS Server 3

2030GMT Sunday October 4th, 2020

A re imagining of one of the toughest and intensive ATAG Cliffs of Dover server missions.

Featuring a number of new RAF early war aircraft available with the Tobruk DLC, and for the blue's, the E-4 will be available for the first time.

Please note: To take part, you will need to own Desert Wings Tobruk.

See you there!

D520 Diving In.jpg

D520 Patrol.jpg

In the Crosshairs 1.jpg

In the Crosshairs 2.jpg

• Like 1

Please bring the MS.406 too!

With our Channel map, so many French aircraft yet to be modelled could allow us to organise accurate game sessions that would be set in the Battle of France.

Not a priority... I know... that was nothing but the expression of a personal wish. Anyway, I look impatiently to the next add-on.

Battle of France - Fall Rot Event this weekend

Hi All,

We are just putting the finishing touches on the revised Fall Rot mission, to ensure that the new aircraft included will not do anything 'odd' to the mission.

So, to cover off on everyone who is keen to participate, this weekend we will be running on Sunday Oct 4, 1930 GMT.

We will also run the same event on Saturday Oct 10 at 1930GMT.

Team Fusion's Pattle will be Livestreaming both days.

As mentioned earlier in the week, we will also be including Bf 109E-4 (out of St Omer) to allow blue flyers, not accustomed to the manual prop pitch E-1 and E-3 to join.

For those super keen to fly the D.520, maybe for the first time, we recommend checking out the flashcard included in the manual folder, and familiarise yourself with this very fun to fly aircraft.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

TFS Team
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Please bring the MS.406 too!

With our Channel map, so many French aircraft yet to be modelled could allow us to organise accurate game sessions that would be set in the Battle of France.

Not a priority... I know... that was nothing but the expression of a personal wish. Anyway, I look impatiently to the next add-on.

Would most likely be way easier to do a Hawk75 at this point as the Tomahawk's 3D model could potentially be altered to that of a Hawk75. The Hawk would also be more interesting as it was the Vichy flown type that engaged USN Wildcats over North Africa during Operation Torch.

4 minutes ago, Karaya said:

Would most likely be way easier to do a Hawk75 at this point as the Tomahawk's 3D model could potentially be altered to that of a Hawk75. The Hawk would also be more interesting as it was the Vichy flown type that engaged USN Wildcats over North Africa during Operation Torch.

Yes, it's true. The Hawk 75 served in both French sides (3rd Republic and Vichy government) AND, on top of that, there were a few hundreds of British Hawks 75 that also saw some action... somewhere. I need to double-check but I think that there were British Hawks both in North Africa and Syria... (or whas this... Lebanon??). Anyway, if we have the D.520 and, in addition, the H 75, then this will perfectly fit in plenty of Battle of France scenarios as well. And I'm sure that this bird must be an interesting plane to fly in a combat flight sim.

Thus, if the Hawk 75 is being modelled for the next add-on, this is fine to me.

Going back to the Battle of France, I wonder how the Hawk 75 would react in front of the German 109s over France in May 1940. A Dewoitine D.520, for example, is no match for a 109 E-3 or for a 109 E-4, this is clear to me. All relies on the pilot. For this Sunday... fingers crossed!

British got some hawks from the French contract after June 40,they where called Mohawks and those planes served in CBI,not in Africa,not in Syria/Lebanon.

h75s have inferior performance compared to d520,exept in low speed turns

Edited by kashiide
  • Thanks 1
On 10/1/2020 at 9:41 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:
Battle of France - Fall Rot Event this weekend

Hi All,

We are just putting the finishing touches on the revised Fall Rot mission, to ensure that the new aircraft included will not do anything 'odd' to the mission.

So, to cover off on everyone who is keen to participate, this weekend we will be running on Sunday Oct 4, 1930 GMT.

We will also run the same event on Saturday Oct 10 at 1930GMT.

Team Fusion's Pattle will be Livestreaming both days.

As mentioned earlier in the week, we will also be including Bf 109E-4 (out of St Omer) to allow blue flyers, not accustomed to the manual prop pitch E-1 and E-3 to join.

For those super keen to fly the D.520, maybe for the first time, we recommend checking out the flashcard included in the manual folder, and familiarise yourself with this very fun to fly aircraft.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

TFS Team

Hi Pattle,

I just want to be sure I get the times right. Can you confirm if it's 1930 or 2030GMT on 10/4?

Thank you TFS, that was an absolute blast.

I was part of five French-speaking pilots forming a flight of five D.520s. We made two sorties between 9.30 p.m and 11.30 p.m.

1st sortie : Mikmak, our leader, decided to cover the Abbeville area. Over Abbeville, the flak was so intense that the tip of my right wing was ripped out neat. I should have tried a RTB, back to our airfield in Dieppe, but I decided to bail out, just in case I met enemy fighters. Mikmak got down at least one 109 during that sortie and managed to land at our Dieppe airfield with two of his men.

2nd sortie : Mikmak decided to make some strafing over a position taken by columns of German trucks and AAA guns. One of our D.520s (Hauggy) managed to destroy at least three 109s during that sortie alone. The rest of us sticked to plan on board our D.520s and we proudly manage to destroy quite a lot of those trucks and guns.

Last evening I witnessed how our Dewoitines destroyed a minimum of 4 or 5 109s. Most likely more than 5 109s were destroyed by French and British fighters as yesterday we reached numbers of 70/80 pilots on the roster, if not more. My conclusion is that the D.520 is a fearsome machine when properly handled, both historically and in the simulator.

PS 1: The German flak was a real challenge for us. Please keep it that way in next events.

PS 2: What about the Gladiators? Did they do their job?

• Like 1

Thanks TFS for this great event.

It would be great to have this Battle of France map running time to time on TFS Server 3 or ATAG.

I discover the quality of the Dewoitine D.520 (good speed and a wonderfull rollrate).

It is really a good oponent to the Bf 109 E4.

Its nose Hispano cannon with High Explosif ammunition have done a good job.😁

7910.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was nice indeed! We had some encounters ourselves with some 8-10 enemy fighters downed.

Now we can do a better aircraft match up on the normal server rotation with the new D.520 in this mission.
And the Spitfires and E-4s in France can be removed too to better represent how it was.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

No 109 E-4 saw action over France in May & June 1940? Really?

Every book I‘ve looked into says the E-4s started appearing at the beginning of the Battle of Britain. References I’ve seen about May 1940 show only E-1 and E-3s.

They are more modeling references but some are monographies about the type. So they are not documents about specific units strength and deployment and don‘t go into too much detail about that. But the overall picture seems to indicate that only the two earlier models were there before the BoB.

If someone has something more specific or to correct the above, please share!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

No 109 E-4 saw action over France in May & June 1940? Really?

The E-4 came into service right at the end of the French campaign. It is hard to say whether or not the type actually saw combat during the Battle. What's also important to note is that many E-1s and E-3s were upgraded during the Battle of Britain to E-4 standard (new canopy, MG FF/M cannons) while keeping their E-1/E-3 designation in LW stock lists.

My understanding is that, specifically for this event, the E-4 was added to give inexperienced blue fliers something to fly that doesn't require constant attention and nursing of the engine. Player numbers on Sunday were in favor of the red side at all times. I'm sure that had the E-4 not been included then numbers would have been even more lopsided and the event would have been less fun for everybody involved.

Also seeing as the Spitfire Mk.I 100 octane was available and that Spitfires played no role in the Battle of France whatsoever, I think the addition of the E-4 was a fair compromise. I was exclusively flying the D.520 on Sunday and had absolutely no trouble dealing with the opposition.

Thank you for your kind responses, J-Hat and Karaya.

2 hours ago, Karaya said:

My understanding is that, specifically for this event, the E-4 was added to give inexperienced blue fliers something to fly that doesn't require constant attention and nursing of the engine.

Inexperienced blue fliers... poor little ones... 😁 

Let's be honest as the above is both humour and self-criticism: indeed last week, during the ITAF-organised online campaign over the Channel, I entered in a too long dive on board my Bf 109 E-3. The engine ended up a bit damaged but still operational for all the sortie, even in combat situations. I simply needed not to exceed 2200 RPM to avoid dangerous and unconfortable vibrations. If my dive had been a little longer, I would have badly broken my engine for sure. I was lucky, made all the sortie and managed to land safely in occupied France. BUT... such a level of realism, this is what I love in this simulator.

2 hours ago, Karaya said:

I was exclusively flying the D.520 on Sunday and had absolutely no trouble dealing with the opposition.

Me neither, that Battle of France was a ton of fun. PLEASE TEAM FUSION SIMULATIONS, for this Saturday ALLOW "French Army" for the red team (indeed, before spawning we were forced to deselec "markings" and fly with preselected 1940 Armée de l'Air skins.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Inexperienced blue fliers... poor little ones... 😁 

There's been an influx of new players with the release of 5.0 and I am willing to bet that many of them have never flown the manual prop E-1/E-3 at all so far. As far as engine management goes I would say it is probably one of if not the most challenging of the single-seat fighters currently in the game. You have to adjust prop pitch constantly or you risk running the engine either beyond its operational limits or with reduced performance.

The only other aircraft on the Fall Rot map that is comparable in terms of engine management is the Spitfire Mk.I 100 octane but even that requires much less attention from its pilot as the prop pitch mechanism responds more quickly to pilot inputs.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Karaya said:

There's been an influx of new players with the release of 5.0 and I am willing to bet that many of them have never flown the manual prop E-1/E-3 at all so far. As far as engine management goes I would say it is probably one of if not the most challenging of the single-seat fighters currently in the game. You have to adjust prop pitch constantly or you risk running the engine either beyond its operational limits or with reduced performance.

The only other aircraft on the Fall Rot map that is comparable in terms of engine management is the Spitfire Mk.I 100 octane but even that requires much less attention from its pilot as the prop pitch mechanism responds more quickly to pilot inputs.

Absolutely. Although I love the DH hurricane, it's definitely not to everyone's taste.

2 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Absolutely. Although I love the DH hurricane, it's definitely not to everyone's taste.

What an interesting remark as nobody was talking about the DH Hurricane. Anyway, the Hurricane Mk I, equipped with the De Havilland DH 5-20 two-position propeller, offers very limited performance in combat situations. Do you manage to survive when facing the 109s? let's say in a one-to-one duelling dogfight?

19 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

What an interesting remark as nobody was talking about the DH Hurricane. Anyway, the Hurricane Mk I, equipped with the De Havilland DH 5-20 two-position propeller, offers very limited performance in combat situations. Do you manage to survive when facing the 109s? let's say in a one-to-one duelling dogfight?

It's usually a no go as on most servers you're facing e4ns and the speed difference is just too great. You can definitely stand a chance against earlier 109s but you have to devote a lot of time to jiggling between the two pitch settings.

I've beaten people though in a DH prop hurricane

I only mentioned it as we're talking about the Battle of France and I believe the RAF should be operating mainly hurricanes with DH props in that scenario?

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
  • Like 1

This raises a few questions...

1. Last Sunday I flew only one plane, the D.520, so I don't know what models of Hurri and Spit were available for the red team (I didn't even check, sorry). What were the exact models of Spit and Hurri?

2. Were those Gladiators, Spits and Hurris really facing the German Luftwaffe during "Fall Rot" in late May early June 1940?

7 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

This raises a few questions...

1. Last Sunday I flew only one plane, the D.520, so I don't know what models of Hurri and Spit were available for the red team (I didn't even check, sorry). What were the exact models of Spit and Hurri?

2. Were those Gladiators, Spits and Hurris really facing the German Luftwaffe during "Fall Rot" in late May early June 1940?

Red side definitely had the Hurricane Mk.Ia Rotol 100oct and Spitfire Mk.I 100oct available. There might also have been the Spitfire Mk.Ia 100oct available at some far away base but not 100% sure about that.

Historically the RAF operated both Hurricanes and Gladiators from French bases during the French campaign. Spitfires never flew from continental bases until after the Overlord invasion in 1944.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Karaya!

One more question... mainly addressed to Pattle... or to TFS in general...

12 years ago, I remember that a friend of mine organised a Battle of France co-op mission with the old good "IL-2 1946". He hosted the game and we were two players on board of two MS.406s facing AI 109s. We can imagine that other similar private initiatives took place in those years, but no dogfight or co-op server at the time was proposing the Battle of France as an online scenario. So here's my question: wasn't that Battle of France last Sunday the very first in the history of flight simulation being organised by an online server?