Sign in to follow this  
Yardstick

Small enhancements to effects - low cost, big benefit?

One of my long standing gripes has been the duration of smoke from destroyed ground targets and aircraft.  If this was originally a decision made on the grounds of performance, is it not time to revisit the issue given the advances in hardware in the intervening period.  I can't imagine it would be a big change (smoke duration=30secs to smoke duration=300secs?).  However, it would have a massive impact on the player experience.  Currently, I find I frequently re-attack a destroyed target because it the smoke / fire has gone out.  It also takes away the satisfaction of leaving an area a smoking / burning mess after a successful attack.    

Having also put 70 or so hours into FS2020, returning to IL2:GB, it's nice to see that the clouds stack up pretty well against the former sim - particularly the layered heavy pre-sets.  However, these are comparatively rare in game, so would it be worth considering the addition of more visually 'interesting' cloud pre-sets as well as increasing the depth of the layers we currently have?

This sim continues to advance as improvements and tweaks are introduced over time.  It strikes me that the above (enhancements to how the current effects are implemented not changes to these effects) could be introduced with comparatively little resource cost but bring a disproportionate benefit to the player experience.

Edited by Yardstick
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

It should also not disappear everytime I look away only to re-render a half second after I look in it's direction again.

4 hours ago, Yardstick said:

One of my long standing gripes has been the duration of smoke from destroyed ground targets and aircraft.  If this was originally a decision made on the grounds of performance, is it not time to revisit the issue given the advances in hardware in the intervening period.  I can't imagine it would be a big change (smoke duration=30secs to smoke duration=300secs?).  However, it would have a massive impact on the player experience.  Currently, I find I frequently re-attack a destroyed target because it the smoke / fire has gone out.  It also takes away the satisfaction of leaving an area a smoking / burning mess after a successful attack.    

This is part of long series of complaints, that myself has already repeated. You can add having all smokes go downwind direction, and you can add to take away this 4 crater limit after a bombing raid. Give us the choice like 5, 15 or 50 or something similar. It is nice ti improve visuals all the time and I love that. But they should also improve environmental battle immmersion.

Craters, fires and smoke are part of this. Trees should burn and get blackened at least or changed into a black stump.

Who knows, maybe one day when Nvidia will have delivered its RTX 5090Ti we may get finally these improvements. But by then I hope the number of crater choice should be 100 or unlimited 😀

the length and duration are hard coded into the game,in my effects mod I have improved the effects as much as I can.

But still the underlying issue of smoke fading in and out,ground hit spikes from strafing bug,weak explosions,etc etc ,I do think effects are a big part of the whole experience.

I do not think the current dds files effects need much change,just their size and duration and a few bugs sorted out ie ground hit spikes limit bug.

I hope you try my effects mod download,it does not fix the smokes when you turn away and certain other things but I do hope it gives the effects experience a bigger wow facter.

i love the explosions in Tobruk,the smokes in Tobruk are slightly bland but overall quite good.