Jump to content

IL2 Rear Warning Radar AKA sound of external planes is far too loud.


Recommended Posts

There are certain planes which you can hear coming a mile off. Tempest is the worst offender, along with anything with a turbosupercharger and the 262. The p51 is also really loud.

Please could the Dev's change it so you can't hear planes close out side of your own? By all accounts this was not possible in real life, and as it seems that the axis fighters with the exception of the 262 are inaudible it's a balance issue in MP too.


Basically, is this video the only way you can sneak up on most axis fighters?

 

 

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found that 109s are only audible when you fly in close formation with them but even then we shouldn't really be able to hear them at all between our own engine and headgear.

The worst offender I've noticed for external noise is the P-39 with its distinctive nose gearbox whine.
They're especially easy to hear in VR when you turn your head to either side and one ear can suddenly hear something half a kilometer behind you, its saved me from getting a 30mm up the rear more than once now- if only just barely.

Case in point:

Spoiler

20200920141631_1.thumb.jpg.415daa50744a41bf11df9922c7f32334.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  Our squad was going to do a video on this.  We discovered this flying german this month.  It is a huge advantage to the germans.  How come know one has said anything about this?  You start to hear the 109 and 190 about 300 meters from your 6, but the tempest, spit, and 38 you can hear at 1000 meters behind you.  (51 is about 600 meters) Flying German we began to break when we heard the plane not see the plane.  It's totally absurd to hear someone 1000 meters behind you on your 6.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

Thank you.  Our squad was going to do a video on this.  We discovered this flying german this month.  It is a huge advantage to the germans.  How come know one has said anything about this?  You start to hear the 109 and 190 about 300 meters from your 6, but the tempest, spit, and 38 you can hear at 1000 meters behind you.  (51 is about 600 meters) Flying German we began to break when we heard the plane not see the plane.  It's totally absurd to hear someone 1000 meters behind you on your 6.  

There have been a few threads on it in The past few months. If you don’t often fly German it’s not as noticeable until you realize you’re hearing 38s and Tempests from long distances and not guys in close formation. Doesn’t seem to effect any of the German planes or the Soviet ones as far as I can tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

Thank you.  Our squad was going to do a video on this.  We discovered this flying german this month.  It is a huge advantage to the germans.  How come know one has said anything about this?  You start to hear the 109 and 190 about 300 meters from your 6, but the tempest, spit, and 38 you can hear at 1000 meters behind you.  (51 is about 600 meters) Flying German we began to break when we heard the plane not see the plane.  It's totally absurd to hear someone 1000 meters behind you on your 6.  

I brought it up in CB about 2 weeks ago, and a couple people were saying they havent noticed, I imagine because they have low-grade headphones (or not even headphones, but external speakers).  This has been an issue for many many months now, and I've been alerted to nearby allied aircraft because of it, saving me quite a lot when flying axis.

 

To add to this thread overall, this is an issue that really only seems to plague the allied aircraft, and at least every single allied BoBp aircraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep this is a definite issue, suprised it hasnt been fixed yet. The developers have acknowledged the issue in my previous post on this, we just need more people in the community to put some pressure on. I never fly the mustang, tempest or p38 now for this exact reason which is a real shame. Its one thing for .50cals to be week but to not be able to use them on an unsupecting enemy makes the so much weeker. When i fly german i feel like I'm cheating which is also a real shame. I find the best compromise has been to fly the spitfire... but the opposition can still only slightly lesser hear me coming. They always tilt wings to check 6 just as im at about 800m range, just before i can fire, very frustrating. 

5 hours ago, messsucher said:

 

Haha, this so very much sounds like soy boy whine 😄 Not saying there can't be an issue, but that pattern "every allied plane bad, german OP 😄

Hi Messsucher, please test for yourself mate before bagging it, the devs have acknowledged the issue exists. We are trying to get something fixed here mate for the betterment of the game, we need everyone to help raise awareness so we can put some pressure on to get the fix. 

Edited by QB.Beno
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Issue became significant at Update 4.005

 

I believe issue has always been in the game (i have always heard the tempest) but i think it became amplified and extended to all allied aircraft as a result of the following 4.005 changes. Most likely change 107.

 

104. Another error that could cause the hits on the own aircraft to be not audible in multiplayer has been found and fixed;

105. When in the cockpit, the player will now hear different sounds when different parts (materials) of the aircraft are hit different types of ammunition (before that, sounds differed only by the type of ammunition and only in open cockpits or in an external view);

106. The ram air sounds in the cockpits of all aircraft have been re-adjusted, the sound changes depending on the state of the canopy (open or closed) as well as the position of the pilot's head relatively to the windscreen;

107. The positioning of the engine sounds in the cockpits has been improved as well;

Edited by QB.Beno
spelling
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, QB.Beno said:

Yep this is a definite issue, suprised it hasnt been fixed yet. The developers have acknowledged the issue in my previous post on this, we just need more people in the community to put some pressure on. I never fly the mustang, tempest or p38 now for this exact reason which is a real shame. Its one thing for .50cals to be week but to not be able to use them on an unsupecting enemy makes the so much weeker. When i fly german i feel like I'm cheating which is also a real shame. I find the best compromise has been to fly the spitfire... but the opposition can still only slightly lesser hear me coming. They always tilt wings to check 6 just as im at about 800m range, just before i can fire, very frustrating. 

Hi Messsucher, please test for yourself mate before bagging it, the devs have acknowledged the issue exists. We are trying to get something fixed here mate for the betterment of the game, we need everyone to help raise awareness so we can put some pressure on to get the fix. 

 

Yeah, you are right and you people are doing good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a video which shows it, i hear the 6, if i did not hear it, i would not have even looked back, i look back in this video ONLY because i heard it. Turn your speakers up, preferb headphones or desktop speakers and you will hear the mustang BEFORE I check my 6. Please excuse my shooting! 

 

Edited by QB.Beno
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, this a problem.   You can't hear anything in a single engine plane but your own engine and it's LOUD.  That's one reason everyone wears a headset, so they can talk to each other without yelling.  You'd never be able to hear another plane "sneaking up" on you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok just a quick video recorded on CB training sever, but it gets the point across.  This is just stupid.  lol

 

In order tested :

Tempest can be heard at 1800 meters.  😵

Spit 500 meters

p38 1000 meters

p51 1400 meters

109 k4 200 meters

190 D9 400 meters

 

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

This is a pretty big issue since it’s like having a rear gunner giving you a call out for every axis fighter...

 

That is not really a biggie. Planes which have tail gunner are severely handicapped.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, QB.Beno said:

In what way are planes with rear gunners handicapped? And handicapped in relation to what?

 

If it is a medium bomber they can't effectively dogfight at all. If it is light bomber whatever they can dogfight a bit, but are no match to a pilot of equal skill, where skill level is experienced.

 

This game is solo focused online. If it was more realistic there would be at least one bomber wing, and each plane in it would look for each other, you would have no chance to surprise them. That's why it is not unrealistic if a bomber's gunner can spot you. You can only surprise a bomber because it is unrealistic solo online bomber. So if I was to chose which should get unrealistic advantage I would chose the bomber.

 

Anyway, the end of the line is that bombers have awful time online in this game. I would never ever try to make their life any harder than it is already.

Edited by messsucher
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, but what about when it is a fighter that has the effective early warning of the gunner's call out? Would that be an issue? Because that is what we have except it is really only for one side of the fight. I'm beginning to think you might not understand what is being talked about here.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, -SF-Disarray said:

Ok, but what about when it is a fighter that has the effective early warning of the gunner's call out? Would that be an issue? Because that is what we have except it is really only for one side of the fight. I'm beginning to think you might not understand what is being talked about here.

 

Do you mean the sound alarm in where they hear at worst from two kilometers range that someone is coming?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, messsucher said:

 

That is not really a biggie. Planes which have tail gunner are severely handicapped.

Wat

12 hours ago, messsucher said:

 

If it is a medium bomber they can't effectively dogfight at all. If it is light bomber whatever they can dogfight a bit, but are no match to a pilot of equal skill, where skill level is experienced.

 

This game is solo focused online. If it was more realistic there would be at least one bomber wing, and each plane in it would look for each other, you would have no chance to surprise them. That's why it is not unrealistic if a bomber's gunner can spot you. You can only surprise a bomber because it is unrealistic solo online bomber. So if I was to chose which should get unrealistic advantage I would chose the bomber.

 

Anyway, the end of the line is that bombers have awful time online in this game. I would never ever try to make their life any harder than it is already.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope this gets fixed. If it applied to all aircraft it would be one thing, but certain aircraft have it and others don't. 109s and 190s are not all that audible unless within 50 metres. P-38s and Tempests are the worst offenders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally if you are at any higher level of throttle whatsoever,  you should not hear any other aircraft until they are like 50-200 meters. (depending on SPL produced by respective engines and whether canopy is open)... Honestly, even that is generous. 

 

It would absolutely be next to impossible to hear any other plane over the sound of your own engine. That said, I think it's fair to say that a pilot might perceive a difference in air pressure as an enemy plane crept up closer to him. This would be due to the increased local sound pressure/harmonic interference with the sound of his own plane and might give him a sense that something was close and cause him to look.  Allowing you to faintly hear another plane when it closes to that 50-200 meter range is probably the only reasonable way to achieve this effect in game. 

 

That said, the way some planes are making sound at absurd ranges really needs to be fixed.

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...