Discussion of GAZ-MM 72-K and Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38 Vehicle Mounted AAA Pre-Orders

This will be great from time to time, especially with a buddy or two. And the AA experience is about to get a whole lot more interesting for us ground pounders. A fair price IMMHOO.

The 72-K apparently had a ROF of 240 rounds per minute, which is this rhythm:

The Flak 38, 220 rounds per minute:

Edited by FlyingNutcase
grammar typo
  • Haha 1

This made me ponder playable Flak38's on the trains.

Just sitting back there watching the country side roll by with a beer and my big gun, waiting for trouble to show up...or a cow, or a bicyclist....or a friendly that I misidentified.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

This made me ponder playable Flak38's on the trains.

Just sitting back there watching the country side roll by with a beer and my big gun, waiting for trouble to show up...or a cow, or a bicyclist....or a friendly that I misidentified.

And at the first sign of trouble seeing your locomotive disconnect and go charging off into the distance, leaving you stranded. :hunter:

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

Sit there and think about the gameplay for a minute. A lot of driving around. stopping at waiting for that chance to shoot up an aircraft, which by the way is very dificult to achieve if they model the balistics realistically. In theory its sounds nice, in practice not so much. Very Boring and frustrating in a MP scenario. A purchase you will make, try out a few times and never use it again.

This crossed my mind too. Currently, there's a flat on/off control for AI gunners for tanks. I think it would be good to have a separate option for the AAA vehicles to allow AI take control of the gun, and the mission designers to be able to set the skill for the AI gunner.

I admit that I'd rather not have had the Ferdinand and the SU-152 in the basic tank crew, and instead would've put these two AAA in. Anyway, bought them, and we'll put them into use on our server.

@Jason,

Just wondering whether you guys might be thinking of doing a 'cry baby' emoji? I would happily pre-order that, as well!

I'm sure I wouldn't have any issues using it in the forums! 

Hopefully there will be Sd.Kfz 7/1 soon as well!?

regards

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

Think it's great there is more human control within the sim. The AA's will need to watch for Tank's, Tanks for aircraft, aircraft for AA's and visa versa.Etc. 

Infantry also in the future will be great as well.

When piloting, id imagine this addition to the sim could will be far more rewarding for some, as humans can be less predictable than Ai.

So happy the the entertainment has a broader choice of interaction. We love our birds, and many like challenging ground targets as well.

Thanks a bunch team. :thank_you::):salute:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I wonder if I need a hammer to get that russian truck in gear?

"You want to hand me that hammer, Jimbo. No, the bigger one, the sledge." - Jack Wade (Joe Don Baker - Goldeneye)

...lol, suppose we should just keep one in the back of the truck to be on the safe side 😅

20190314_102154-1024x465.thumb.jpg.f9ce9e6c5494b95f1f4bdcac338bcb93.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The same thing is obviously true here.  Producing new vehicles is completely unrelated to producing new aircraft.  Completely different staff.  There is no opportunity cost.  Confirmed.

Claimed, but clearly untrue. You cannot integrate something into a complex programme using your core team with no expense to other work. It is not possible and I have managed plenty of teams / projects in the past that demonstrate exactly that. If this were Microsoft then I would agree they can manage the load. But (thankfully) it is not.

I love this sim and I have bough 95% of what they have produced, but this is an odd decision and has taken resources away from the Hurricane and BoN - on which people have already sunk money. Hell, Jason has used his time to post on the forums concerning this very topic which is 2 minutes out of his day (tiny opportunity cost). Roll this to the individuals concerned with integration and testing of the vehicle and you get a larger and larger slice of time for multiple people. That is simply a fact which you either understand or you do not.

Anyway, I repeat that Thrawn made a very good point about prioritization based on supply chain elements so I can see that this module may have made sense to release owing to delays on other issues. It is not energy-free, however, 'cause beyond seawater and air almost nothing is. I doubt it will repay the money paid to the 3rd party, but I cannot prove that.

So digest this in your own time. I have pointed out - painfully - how this operates, but while I can lead you to water I cannot make you drink.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

GREAT BATTLES COLLECTOR VEHICLES... NEW VEHICLES COMING!

Here we go chaps... pre order your new vehicles today.

Soon you will be able land at your airfield after a hair raising sortie and race over to the NAAFI truck for a well earned cuppa!

img363.gif.4cb2a3214a0e753c0dc69a8ee6d997ce.gif

What's the lovely lady next to the NAAFI truck and can I pre-order it? Looks like a Beaufort-knockoff

11 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

GREAT BATTLES COLLECTOR VEHICLES... NEW VEHICLES COMING!

Here we go chaps... pre order your new vehicles today.

Soon you will be able land at your airfield after a hair raising sortie and race over to the NAAFI truck for a well earned cuppa!

555011218_Naafiwagon.jpg.f349fe413bd07fb0e92daa9d08fef09d.jpg

img363.gif.4cb2a3214a0e753c0dc69a8ee6d997ce.gif

"You can make my cuppa tea anytime..."

"Bullshit...  You can make mine"

• Haha 1

Pure Nostalgia.

I grew up on an impoverished farm/ranch close to the Red River Valley of southern Oklahoma.

We had 200 chickens, 25 range cows, two milk cows, an assortment of range ponies usually 3 to 5, two huge black plow horses,

and one 1932 or so Model A Ford pickup truck called by my grandfather the 'Leapin' Lena' --curiously the one thing it never did was leap.

The pic is not it but gives a a good idea.

He bought it very used from a local oil garage, and it was around until about 1956 when my father bought for my grandfather a 1949 International Harvester.

The old Leapin' Lena was bought by a cousin and hauled away and the days of 'Whampa', as we called him, loading his seven grandstands in the back of the Lena and heading for the lease was over.

But it was sure fun while it was going on.

Never thought to see it replicated--we had the smaller single wheel version--in a sim, but by golly here it is.

Gotta have it.

Leapin Lena 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There seems to be some thought that the new additions are going to take time away from other subjects, I cannot say yes or no to that, however, they were proposed originally two years or so ago and the fact they survived this long to eventually get off the mark might indicate they were part of the overall build all along through the construction of T.C. but awaiting a time to let them free.;)

Both vehicles are already in the game so essentially the 3d exists for truck, even in a basic form, as does crew and weapon system, with all animations already done and the code for first person use already running because we already use tanks and their armament as it is, the major work should now be in the hands of the partner company to do the 3d upgrade/re-build to make them suitable for player use, just a thought.

Hopefully, final integration for the team here should be relatively straight forward once they have the stuff from the partners, 3d, textures and maps are usually a long time part of any project but if I am right the donkey work as far as Jason and the guys are concerned might be out of the way so they might be able to take in a few quid to cover the never ending updates and maybe some further content.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

Will you be able to spawn into an AI truck which is part of a convoy that hasn’t been destroyed and take control of the guns and steering? Would be nice for the servers that have convoys that actually move deeper into enemy territory from the start of the map.

Edited by VBF-12_Esco
  • Upvote 1

Since they are creating the cannons for AA vehicles; I wonder if they will eventually take the cannons off the trucks and let us take control of the stationary cannons to defend the objectives? 

Or... take control of the AA guns on AI vehicles! Jump onto the cannon of an AI vehicle in a convoy. Go along for the ride on the top of the train to defend it from attacks. 

Imagine being able to take control of the guns on AI ships!  If the Pacific ever comes along, how awesome would it be to take control of a gun on the AI ships and defend them from dive bombers, torpedo planes, and Kamikazes!  You could recreate a Pearl Harbor scenario!

Include some controllable guns in the base game for free, like the two tanks. Then for a price you can control all the other cannons and flak guns on the AI vehicles.

Edited by VBF-12_Esco
  • Upvote 1

You can do most of thous things in Il-2 CloD. Online i was switching from flaks on ground defending AF when attacked to flaks on ships defending ships when attack and to colums and so on... I think they should check atleast if when you have this new collectable trucks as AI controled vechicles in colum to alow players to jump in them and take control of them to defend that column or objective. I dont see just driving them for whole mission to get few min of action as being popular but if they just drive as ai and then i can jump in them when needed and jump out then they can be used more.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Think it's great there is more human control within the sim. The AA's will need to watch for Tank's, Tanks for aircraft, aircraft for AA's and visa versa.Etc. 

Yes it will be great, from maximum of 84 players on server 20 players goes AA (10 per side), 20 players goes in Tanks (10 per side) and 40 players goes in fighters and bombers (20 per side)....scattered all over the front! 😄

This is how you kill a server and MP!

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon
4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I wonder if I need a hammer to get that russian truck in gear?

No, it's a Ford design, not a T34...

1 hour ago, vonNutz said:

Pure Nostalgia.

I grew up on an impoverished farm/ranch close to the Red River Valley of southern Oklahoma.

We had 200 chickens, 25 range cows, two milk cows, an assortment of range ponies usually 3 to 5, two huge black plow horses,

and one 1932 or so Model A Ford pickup truck called by my grandfather the 'Leapin' Lena' --curiously the one thing it never did was leap.

The pic is not it but gives a a good idea.

He bought it very used from a local oil garage, and it was around until about 1956 when my father bought for my grandfather a 1949 International Harvester.

The old Leapin' Lena was bought by a cousin and hauled away and the days of 'Whampa', as we called him, loading his seven grandstands in the back of the Lena and heading for the lease was over.

But it was sure fun while it was going on.

Never thought to see it replicated--we had the smaller single wheel version--in a sim, but by golly here it is.

Gotta have it.

Leapin Lena 1.jpg

Very cool vonNutz.

The Ford Model A was introduced in 1928 as the long overdue replacement for the Model T.   The Model A would be made for 4 years, 1928 through 1931, and was replaced by the Model B in 1932, which introduced the 221 cubic inch "Flathead V8" to the market.  The first popularly priced 8 cylinder engine.

Note the last year the A was made.  Kinda shows just how out of date the GAZ AA was in the WW2 time period.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

I think this plan is very good. Each of GB plane needs to be polished/repaired or enhanced... The speed of increasing the collector plane doesn't have to be so fast. Although I don’t know how much time these vehicles will occupy 1C/777 devs, it’s great to make the gameplay interesting.
Vehicles equipped with FLAK38 are too attractive. I hope I can drive the Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind in the future:hunter:

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, BM357_TinMan said:

Thanks for the reply,

but.....
Yes, I know about the licenses page but, you have to cross check it with the store and that can be a bit of a problem as, first of all this is just kind of cumbersome in itself but can be even more onerous when some collector planes are part of the premium titles that were purchased.

Rise of Flight - come payday, I'd login & purchase a plane or 2, & got satisfaction watching a plane have a tick next to it to say I then owned it.

Made it easier come next payday knowing which planes I had & which I still required.

Cool, i love trucks and half tracks. I hope many versions will be implemented like without weapons just to cruise on the maps for fun!

Also human controlled flak could bring nasty surprises to those flying too close.

I can see frustrated  pilots taking their revenge with these haha!😀

Having anti air guns on trucks could also be very cool to test DM.

Nice.

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Perhaps we could do with a 3rd party to work on providing an Avro Lancaster bomber aircraft for this great combat flight simulation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

That would be so cool!

Anyway i think mobile AA was really needed to protect tanks in this sim. I think the idea is to make tactical movements on the ground more realistic and more feasible for vehicles in il2. If it works then online wars could be far more interesting and dynamic. I'm sure it will contribute to make the picture of the battle in IL2 more accurate. Also flak traps could be created and deployed where and when it matters without revealing their existence until it really counts.

Edited by Caudron431Rafale

Will the AA guns carry infinite ammo?

Richard Overy’s book, Bombing War Europe 1939-45 mentions a British study conducted by the Air Ministry which calculated an average expenditure of 6000 anti aircraft rounds to bring down a single aircraft.  At night it was higher, with the same source quoting a raid on Moscow on 21-22 July 1942 which used 29000 rounds for one aircraft destroyed.  

Assuming there will be some powerful aim assists to make it say, ten times easier to hit a plane than it was in real life, your average player would still need rather a lot of ammunition and a significant amount of time to keep the target in range to expend it.  Will the guns therefore carry more rounds, or will they perhaps be made more powerful so as to have a chance of a kill in the limited time they have to fire?

• Upvote 1
On 9/23/2020 at 10:27 AM, Enceladus said:

Any chance of making an playable British or American vehicles down the road?

That is the hope.

18 minutes ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

It´s just taking the piss out of their customers

Purchase is entirely voluntary. Nobody is taking anything. 

Not wanted... don't purchase. Have a nice war. :coffee:

6 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Claimed, but clearly untrue. You cannot integrate something into a complex programme using your core team with no expense to other work. It is not possible and I have managed plenty of teams / projects in the past that demonstrate exactly that.

I spent 28 years doing exactly what you say is impossible.  ER programmers worked on ER software.  PHA programmers worked on PHA software.  And so on.  You have no idea what you’re talking about.  And that has been confirmed by the developer of this product.