Jump to content

Polygon article on IL-2 BoX


Recommended Posts

  • 1CGS

Yes, Charlie reached out to us and we got him going with all the content he was missing. He wrote a nice article. Mainstream media really does ignore us (even when we contact them directly) but every once in a while someone nice shows up and gives us some love.

 

Jason

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool it's about time this sim gets some mainstream gaming press love. I'm sure over the next couple years we'll see some trickle down from MSFS2020 folks looking for something a bit more hardcore and that can blow stuff up.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Very cool it's about time this sim gets some mainstream gaming press love. I'm sure over the next couple years we'll see some trickle down from MSFS2020 folks looking for something a bit more hardcore and that can blow stuff up.

I think we're starting to see some of that. MSFS is huge and has brought new people in but some of them are looking for, as the Polygon article says, some other options.

 

I've been trying to cross polinate flight sim experiences for years. There's a lot of great experiences out there including this series of sims.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

There is strong correlation of being exposed to model aircraft kits as a kid and playing air combat sims.

 

We need to shill for more plastic model kits for kids as a hobby. Its like a gate way drug to sims 😄 

 

Don't forget about the Guillow's balsa model kits too - they offer far more detailed damage modeling!  :)

 

  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

There is strong correlation of being exposed to model aircraft kits as a kid and playing air combat sims.

 

We need to shill for more plastic model kits for kids as a hobby. Its like a gate way drug to sims 😄 

I get that. When I was a little boy I’d make plenty of Airfix kits, paint them and hang ‘em from the ceiling then dream they could really fly. Now, forty-five years later I’m able to fly them from my comfy chair in my comfy home.  That’s what I do. When I fly the only historical event I’m recreating is being eleven years old😃

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I get that. When I was a little boy I’d make plenty of Airfix kits, paint them and hang ‘em from the ceiling then dream they could really fly. Now, forty-five years later I’m able to fly them from my comfy chair in my comfy home.  That’s what I do. When I fly the only historical event I’m recreating is being eleven years old😃

 

I still have about 50 unmade kits in boxes.  Been there for over 10 years. Most (all?) of my built kits have been smashed in moves and I have not had the will to try and repair them.  One day :) 

 

But yes, count me in as one of those "direct correlation" data points.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

I still have about 50 unmade kits in boxes.  Been there for over 10 years.

 

Damnit, I need to show this to the wife...I only have ~12 and she's already raising her eyebrows at me.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet a good dollar that most of people simming today, were exposed to model kits at very young age. 

 

Microsoft Flight sim is a good visibility, yes, but there is something magical with gluing your own model, and then playing with it.

It kind of imprints you to aircraft's for life. 

 

So good long term strategy for Sim makers to get more kids hooked on sims for life is with glue and plastic :biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I get that. When I was a little boy I’d make plenty of Airfix kits, paint them and hang ‘em from the ceiling then dream they could really fly. Now, forty-five years later I’m able to fly them from my comfy chair in my comfy home.  That’s what I do. When I fly the only historical event I’m recreating is being eleven years old😃

 

Below is from my bedroom ceiling from about 1980 when I was kid. My brother's work, he was  older and really good at the planes, after this he had a huge Ju87, must have been 1/16 scale and that went up there too. I wasn't that good at modelling then and my planes were a bit shoddy - but I had great fun shooting them up with an air rifle which made up for it. 

 

When I did get better at it I was making military vehicles and painting up the ho/oo Napoleonic figures (with a cocktail stick - I wonder if that's why I need glasses now) and hanging those from the ceiling never seemed the way to go.

img220.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Monksilver said:

 

Below is from my bedroom ceiling from about 1980 when I was kid. My brother's work, he was  older and really good at the planes, after this he had a huge Ju87, must have been 1/16 scale and that went up there too. I wasn't that good at modelling then and my planes were a bit shoddy - but I had great fun shooting them up with an air rifle which made up for it. 

 

When I did get better at it I was making military vehicles and painting up the ho/oo Napoleonic figures (with a cocktail stick - I wonder if that's why I need glasses now) and hanging those from the ceiling never seemed the way to go.

img220.jpg


This looks just like my bedroom from 1980! Just add models of the Millennium Falcon and the Enterprise (both with lights), a Battlestar Galactica Viper, the Cygnus from The Black Hole, and posters of famous fighter pilots, and you can easily see why I dated so little in high school 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I still have about 50 unmade kits in boxes.  Been there for over 10 years. Most (all?) of my built kits have been smashed in moves and I have not had the will to try and repair them.  One day :) 

Lol - well at close to 300 I should consider myself maxed out...buuut,,,,😂

Shop.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One day I'd love to get back into building models again, it's not really possible in my apartment but maybe at some point later on.

 

I love watching Plasmo's YouTube channel, it's kinda like Bob Ross for plane nerds. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RhumbaAzul said:

 

It was probably the Airfix 1/24 Stuka. Everything seemed bigger when you were a child.

 

Thanks, just checked that on the internet and you are right and was able to find photos of others on the internet, the one he had looked like the one below but with swastika on the tail. He did well to get it to stay suspended from the ceiling.

 

01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...