Friendly fire?

Is it possible to be shot down by friendly fire? Was playing Career mode, was on a 109's six, with a couple of "AI Wing mates" behind me. The other 109 was occupied quite a ways away. I put a burst into the 109 I was on, and got blasted from behind. Only friendlies behind me. Heck of a way to end a career......

Edited by Knarley-Bob

Possible and common...at least in my experience.

In one carrer mission I fly I was in an 8-ship flight of P-38s...we entered a combat area with a 2nd 8 ship flight of of P-38s fighting D9s and K4s....at the end of it I was on the tail of the last K4 with no fewer that 12 P-38s lined up behind me. I was surrounded by a hail of bullets, several hitting me,  so pulled off and let them have the poor bugger....

Edited by 40plus
42 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

After substantial scientific testing and review, I've come to the conclusion that any fire is unfriendly.

When miss safety pin is off, lady grenade is no more your friend 

Edited by DN308

Hard core realism fan I am I always hoped for a chance that friendly AAA would engage you as their target (due to misidentificaiton). This doesn't happen in the sim as of now, however it happened a couple of times that they were so incompetent at aiming that they shoot me down while targeting the enemy aircraft I was chasing. So this kinda makes up for it. :)

• Upvote 3

It seems that my friendly fighters (wingman) are virtually blind when it comes to my presence - in front of them ?

As I mostly flew on light fighters in the past (SP/QM) it was not that visible due to light armament, so I was more confused "who is shooting at me" and "what is going on" ...?

As I switched to "heavy-weight boxers" FW A5 and Razorback Jugs it was very obvious and disastrous experience that my wingman attacks the same plane (close range behind me) - ignoring my presence in his gunsight ? Last week I was repeatedly "blasted" by 4x20mm or 8x0.50 behind me... from close range "friendly fire" - when my wingman joins the same attack on enemy fighter.

Is it too complicated to block my wingmen fire when I am "in the same gunsight with my target", but much closer (bigger shape) or to make him less "trigger happy" ? 

I guess that my wingmen is there to watch my back, not to blast me into hell - when I manage to catch the enemy in my gunsight :dash:

Edited by esk_pedja

Hmm, this is why you take turns online on enemy aircraft. So the quick fix to your problem is that if CPU is attacking some plane, then it is his turn and you stay out of the way. If programming some code to make CPU passive with guns can soon lead to scenes where CPU does not use guns even if it should, which would be much more irritating since CPU is already bad as it is as well as bloat the code and CPU time. It may not sound much, but when 60 aircraft airborne it begin to add.

So, be a gentleman, don't try steal kills CPU has somehow managed to try go for. Also it is you who have the brains there, hence it is you who should use them.

Edit: Could be also solved by being able to give CPU wingman a command "cover me", where CPU would then stay up and high covering you, like it should be done in real. But that would only work on your wingman.

Here is the picture of CPU pilot. Don't you forget that.

draw-a-boy-007.jpg

Edited by messsucher

I am not talking about me being selfish and "inserting" my plane between CPU wingman and targeted enemy.

It is situation - clear between me and enemy plane, without my wingmen even being noticed... when my "fellow" plunges with insane speed "out of nowhere" and starts blasting both of us...

But - if the risk of correction could lead to "disaster" of having passive rest of my CPU friends... let it be as it is now. 

Between one bad element and distraction of whole CPU air combat concept, I would certainly go for the first option. 

I get shot at or rammed by ai wingman all the time...   literally be in the tail of enemy... then suddenly I’ll hear guns going off right outside my canopy while cowboy ai is cutting their wing through my empennage... 

I've just learned to keep my distance When in the mix... fly cover for the ai wing... as soon as all their amp has been wasted or knocks it off I go in...