Death1111

Bf 109 cockpit size in real life

yes, really, i mean most people around world were shorter etc, just looks like for ussr it's more typical (revolution, civil war, golodomor, collectivisation and other bad things)...

they'd better be short if they wanted to fit inside a T-34 :rolleyes:

BTW I'd rather be cramped in a 109, even if I fit tightly, than in one of those metal can while being shot at in the middle of a mudfield.

I used to fly gliders. The first glider I flew solo was a K8. I'm 1.96m and around 90kg at the time.. I wore that airplane like a suit.

It was claustrophobic on the ground but once in the air you're mostly outside with your view and attention. I figure the Spit and 109

were like that. For the long range  missions over Germany there's something to be said for a roomy P47 or P51.

they'd better be short if they wanted to fit inside a T-34 :rolleyes:

yes, but maintenance and other similar things, is hard when you look as little boy'2014... there was lot of hard work, you know...

What???    that's a disaster.

hmmm... :lol: could be too much love, just a bit, yes... :biggrin: well, i just mean, i hope that now all will be more historically correctly, he knows more than 90 percents here and devs needs in help...

I sat in the Irish Air Force Spitfire trainer. I'm six foot and quite broad shouldered. There wasn't a lot of room!

By the way bongodriver...has anyone asked what the he'll your new avatar is? Is that really your foot? If so....what happened?

Edited by sallee

Ow. Had they removed the toboggan from your foot when you took the photo?

Sport02-  I am not sure exactly what you mean, the view from the cockpit that I have is just the standard 1st person view available inside the cockpit. I use this view both in MP where it is required and also for offline play. I never fly externally. That being said I am still waiting for Track IR so once I use that perhaps that will provide me with a more realistic FOV from inside the aircraft.

Sorry is this kind of what you were asking me?

Yes, it's my foot, it involved a fence and a toboggan.

GAH!!!

:o:

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

Death1111 as your topic talk about size of the cockpit , you can have a realistic impression if you put  fov  corresponding at the real size .

the compas of the 109 is 11 cm diameter , you can change the fov with the zoom to have this size on the screen .

also I prefer that the game could give you the possibility to determinate the exactly fov depending of the size of the screen and the distant beetween yours eyes and the screen , but not possible with bos , sim racing give you this option .

Edited by sport02

Here's my feet in an FW 190. They're all pretty small. I'm 193cm, and with the ones I've sat in I can't close the 'lid'. I've sat in a Spitfire, the FW190 (favourite!) and a functioning Yak 3 of all things (a guy down here in South Africa had one, very impressive to watch! I got to sit in it during maintenance). With the Yak I also needed to bend my neck to close the cockpit, but once it was closed I could sit upright, but my head touched the canopy - no helmet would have fitted. The FW and the Spit are in the Johannessburg military history museum, they also had a crashed 109 (seen next to the 190 below) that I didn't sit in, as well as a Me262. The planes could do with some restoration! On the flipside, they were very accommodating to me and let me climb all over the aircraft, including the Me262!

Toight.jpg

Spit_View.jpg

OberstARM.jpg

ME262.jpg

Lurking.jpg

Edited by ARM505
  • Upvote 1

One downside, and it's a big one, to the narrow cockpit of the 109 was that it could limit the leverage the pilot could apply in the roll axes on the control stick.

yes but just came to mind a narrow cockpit would help to use the knees to roll

btw, Kurfurst is tester?! well, i think it's great for 109... :good::biggrin:

Yes, the devs were kind enough to offer me some consulting and testing opportunity. :)

S!

Why so Bongo? He got the Finnish test reports for the Bf109G-2 to be utilized as reference/addendum. Those results very much comply with Rechlin and manufacturer data. I see nothing wrong with that. And remember Russian planes will get the best available results as well, so again nothing to worry about as far I see. I do think the devs can use the available data and information for the best of the game.

Yes, it's my foot, it involved a fence and a toboggan.

Bongo, please go easy with spicy food.

I hope you'll never suffer of hemorrhoid.  :happy:

Bongo, please go easy with spicy food.

I hope you'll never suffer of hemorrhoid.  :happy:

Neither Bongo nor his ration are a topic of this thread.

• Upvote 1

My favourite aircraft is the Bf 109 and to me it has always given such an impression as a true fighter due to the narrow cockpit and horizontal seating position of the pilot (almost like an F1 car). I have heard many accounts of how cramped the 109 cockpit was but my question is just how cramped and small was it really? I have seen a video on youtube with a modern day british pilot getting into a 109 cockpit and it did look very small in this video.

...Any information anyone has on this would be much appreciated.

Our virtual squadron got special permission to look inside the cockpit of Ha-1109 and HA-1112, shown in Museo del Aire, Madrid, Spain.
The entire fuselage and cockpit of Ha-11109 and Ha-1112 was built according to the standard model Bf-109G2 German, and most of Me109 in flight, are Ha-1112 "Buchon" with Daimler-Benz engine reinstalled.

I can assure you that the Me-109 Cockpit is more spacious than the Ferrari F-1 car of Fernando Alonso, (I've seen that too).and nobody says that cockpit is claustrophobic

14487_fernando-alonso-se-concentra-en-su

I want to remind you that the seatback of the bf109, is adjustable. height / tilt 

e_seatfront.jpg

Have you seen this video? 

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9YVei2Yb_k--

I think that displays fairly well how immensely cramped the cockpit is on the 109. 

Pilots I spoke to said that flying a P-47 was like riding in a Cadillac .... A Mustang was like a Corvette... That 109 cockpit looks claustrophobic even on the video..

And regarding the RAF pilot of that video, it's clear that he's half-silly, because in another video about cockpit of the Spitfire, he says that the cockpit is better, with the door and canopy open.

If he closes the door and cockpit canopy of the Spitfire, this would be the same claustrophobic, as the bf109 ... Therefore, he does not do that in the video.
Edited by III/JG52_Otto_Mas

in the case of Paul Day he probably is already familiar with how the Spitfire feels with the canopy and door closed as he has plenty of time in them.

in the case of Paul Day he probably is already familiar with how the Spitfire feels with the canopy and door closed as he has plenty of time in them.

That's the reason for he forgets to close the door  :P  :biggrin:

I was wondering when the charts and diagrams would come out.

• Upvote 1

Yes, the last diagram is somewhat vague, there is no reference to actual pilot location, the Spitfire fuselage cross section is taller than the 109 from top of canopy to bottom of fuselage (blue lines).

:happy:

You know, they are better than a pilot's opinion. Now we only need to define "small" and "cramped" with some real values and compare the results.  :rolleyes:

Edited by 6S.Manu

Yes its a scale cross section of the Bf 109E fuselage and canopy (red) from Russian drawings a scale cross section of the Spitfire IX fuselage and (late Malcolm) canopy (also shown is the armor plates) from German reports.

Note that the early Spits did not have the 'large®' bubble style (Malcolm) canopy, but a smaller, slimmer one (equivalent to the inner Bluecircle).

The Spit fuselage is somewhat deeper but keep in mind that the pilot in the Spitfire sits upright, in the 109 with the legs extended with the feet being practically at the same level as the b*tt of the pilot.

I also suggest everyone to take a centimeter out and just see for themselves how 'much' is 64 cm is (thats the width of the 109 canopy at the bottom, the Spitfire is a few centimeters narrower), or how ca. 120 centimeter is - this latter number is roughly how much vertical space you have in the Spit, ie. the rough equivalent of the armor plate's heigh - that if the Spit had any decent protection for the pilots legs..)

Its easy to realize afterwards that this whole discussion is really about wheter German midgets or British midgets who felt more comfortable in the cocpit... :D

P.S: From what I have seen the 190 cocpit is about the same size as these two, but the P51s canopy is really one category bigger. 

The different  angle of recline of the seats between the two is not exactly massive, the Spitfire seat is also slightly reclined.

I've sat in Red 7.  I'm 6' and a bit (184cm) and with the canopy down it felt snug.  There was not much room between my shoulders and the frame.  I found there was more space above my head than I expected but then I wasn't sitting on a parachute (the seat was the bucket type to allow the parachute to rest in it).

Realistically though if you had pilot clothes on, a parachute, helmet and were strapped in it would feel uncomfortable at least until you acclimatised.  It might be hard to fight but you'd sure as hell be looking everywhere to avoid the bounce.  There were after all some tall and successful Me/Bf109 pilots.  Maybe a tight fit actually helped get more of a seat of your pants experience - I can imagine a P47 pilot feeling somewhat swamped by the cockpit.

Hood

How far you manage to twist the head over the shoulders in this kind of slim-fit cockpits?

No, but leg position is very different. In the 109 you basically have them almost horizontal.

The Spitfire didn't need to be taller for that reason, the 109 has a solid cockpit floor, the Spitfire doesn't.

They might be little cramped but german cockpits are generally most well organized and modern pits of ww2. Some of the allied, especially british cockpits looks like they were really build in WW1.

Well these nice little models should help to clear up the confusion between the internal layout of the two.

bf109f21centbg_2.jpg

2+(2).jpg

Very nice.

Yours?

They might be little cramped but german cockpits are generally most well organized and modern pits of ww2. Some of the allied, especially british cockpits looks like they were really build in WW1.

+1, the Allied cockpits had more character and didn't all look austere and grey.

you would know the real size of cockpits with the virtual window concept

jumpt to 3:33 to understand