Jump to content

I really don't like the new mouse turret controls


Recommended Posts

I'm hating the new mouse turret controls.

More specifically I really hate that the cursor can no longer be moved very far away from the targeting reticle  and now to turn my turret 45+ degrees to the left or right I now have to keep flicking my mouse whereas before I could just move it off the screen and just wait.

 

Is there anyway we could have the old mouse turret controls back as an option?

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced weird mouse behavior (USB) with windows 10 recently, things like mouse speed set to normal instead of fast, mouse staggering.

Probably after a windows update?

I deleted all USB driver stuff (backup your game's data/input folder first) with USBdeview, and rebooted. Al worked OK after that. (set mouse speed again).

Also check the USB hubs in Device manager, after doing that: set power management to OFF !

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I have experienced weird mouse behavior (USB) with windows 10 recently, things like mouse speed set to normal instead of fast, mouse staggering.

Probably after a windows update?

I deleted all USB driver stuff (backup your game's data/input folder first) with USBdeview, and rebooted. Al worked OK after that. (set mouse speed again).

Also check the USB hubs in Device manager, after doing that: set power management to OFF !

 

Its got nothing to do with my mouse settings as of patch 4.501 the devs have fundamentally changed the way the mouse controls work and I think its worse and would just like the option of having the old controls back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought the mouse aiming got better. But was never a fan of it anyways. I recomment to assign new joystick control feature and change in "input" to joystick. New feature is really awesome and you have always full turret rotation speed (if using joystick, not keys!) and control independend to your zoom level. Before rotation lowers if you zoom in and that was really wanky. Now, with direct joystick control, you can now fully zoom in and go fast and slow as much as you like. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 4:11 AM, ZeroCrack01 said:

I actually thought the mouse aiming got better. But was never a fan of it anyways. I recomment to assign new joystick control feature and change in "input" to joystick. New feature is really awesome and you have always full turret rotation speed (if using joystick, not keys!) and control independend to your zoom level. Before rotation lowers if you zoom in and that was really wanky. Now, with direct joystick control, you can now fully zoom in and go fast and slow as much as you like. 

 

I'm really glad you are enjoying the new joystick controls, but I'm a Warthunder vet and so I've always used a mouse. I found the mouse controls to be pretty much perfect pre 4.105 I would set the zoom to my mouse scroll and so had zero issues with aiming with the mouse. I would just like the option to have the old mouse controls back.

 

Also with patch 4.105 the mouse scroll no longer works with pilot head zoom and the binoculars button now doesn't work for me most of the time, I really hope they are at least going to release a hotfix soon to fix those annoying issues.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest the new ones are a thousand times better than the Old ones, with the Old ones you'd constantly sway past the target and it was hell to shoot at longer distances, even when you had like 0 DPI, and I bet its gonna stay like this for now, so id better get used to it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 4:03 AM, [N.O.G.F]dotDeutschland said:

To be honest the new ones are a thousand times better than the Old ones, with the Old ones you'd constantly sway past the target and it was hell to shoot at longer distances, even when you had like 0 DPI, and I bet its gonna stay like this for now, so id better get used to it.

 

I don't understand what you are talking about, you just aim the round cursor at the target and that's where your turret goes. The new mouse controls for me have just unnecessarily restricted the mouse cursor so you can no longer move it a decent distance away from the center so now you have to constantly drag your mouse for long turret turns which is just stupid.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bleh said:

 

I don't understand what you are talking about, you just aim the round cursor at the target and that's where your turret goes. The new mouse controls for me have just unnecessarily restricted the mouse cursor so you can no longer move it a decent distance away from the center so now you have to constantly drag your mouse for long turret turns which is just stupid.

The Problem with the old one was that the Cursor would move off your Field of View i. e. out of your scope, and then it was difficult to regain sight of it and bring the turret to a stop, i like the new captive circle, and i also like that it shows the circle on every difficulty setting now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]dotDeutschland said:

The Problem with the old one was that the Cursor would move off your Field of View i. e. out of your scope, and then it was difficult to regain sight of it and bring the turret to a stop, i like the new captive circle, and i also like that it shows the circle on every difficulty setting now.

I can't say I was having your problem. When turning the turret to target something, I would usually stop turning the turret once I reached the target.

 

But what they have done with mouse control now is they have over corrected and made the range of motion/mouse control too narrow.

 

When you use a joystick, you have continuous motion while holding either left or right. They need to rethink the way they are handling mouse control, because it is obviously very different from a joystick.

 

You don't have the same problem in games like WoT and WarThunder. And before anyone explodes with the arcade issue, I am talking just about being able to make something go around and around with a mouse.

 

The current mouse control setup in Tank Crew is very awkward to play with. Almost to the point where it might be more accurate to use only hull traverse to fire the main gun. Does that sound normal, or reasonable to you? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said succinctly in another topic.

The main issue is trying to create a single turret control model for all players. You can't please everyone doing that.
The solution ? Easy, make two or three controls models (they could even use the older ones) and make them options.

 

This way players could choose the one that fits them best and go enjoy the game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Can you use a HOTAS  setup for the tanks . 

Throttle forward and reverse left track right track using split throttle. 

Joystick for turret . Ect sorry not tried this . 

 

Edited by KoN_
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KoN_ said:

Throttle forward and reverse left track right track using split throttle. 

 

Alas, nope. I had the same idea with my HOTAS combo, but TC only allows forward/backward move and turning. I use the rudder pedals

to turn, which is quite handy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes .Yes and yes! Never going back to aiming with the mouse! Joystick only. Also pedals add to the sim. Throttle  lets you creep up on your enemies from behind the buildings and such. But again, to each their own. 

Edited by RIVALDO
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Freaks,

 

for me this excitement about the control functions with the mouse or the keyboard is incomprehensible. Such a tank is not an airplane - pure "stick fetishists" should better stay in the air. TC offers the possibility to control the functions with the mouse and / or the keyboard - it couldn't be better.
Certainly modern tanks today also have a "joystick" with plenty of functions for the commander - but TC plays in World War II - that should also be taken into account.
For me a reason to separate the game from IL 2 and make it independent.

 

Good Luck

 

Guenther

 

20201021_065846.jpg.c699557fb3e8c4e57b26d736234c28a8.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Below is Java_Keben explaining his situation from a previous category he posted.  So when he says he quit playing the game he is not trying to be critical, just honest about a game he likes and physically cannot play now.  Also English is not his primary language.

Okay, I'll try to explain. 
After a nerve surgery it is still difficult for me to operate a stick without getting a lot of pain in my head, neck, shoulders and 
arms in a short time. 
That is also the reason that I can no longer fly with my old trusted team 1.JaVA. 
I have been playing il2 from the start so that will be almost 20 years now? 
Living necessitated to get some distraction I dived into tc and got a lot of fun from the start. 
A while ago there was an update that did not work out well for the turrent control, it was finally resolved and gave a lot of fun again. 
After the last update, the rotation of the tower no longer works properly. 
Completely zoomed in it responds too slowly, zoomed out it works fine, but then the target is no longer visible at this distance. 
For a quick action and reaction, this setting is completely useless. 
After many hours of trying to get the setting a bit the same as before the update, I finally gave up. 
Somehow the feeling is gone, fast action takes a lot more time than before the update.
 I find this very unfortunate because at the moment TC is my only form of relaxation after a day of work with still too much nerve pain. 
Of course it is great that it is now also possibleto play with the joystick, 
but for people who really depend on a keyboard, this setting is anything but nice. .. 

Too bad, for the update whas the feeling for 99% perfect .....
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Tankers,

 

Improvisation was also required with the right tanks in World War II. For example, in the case of German tanks - from a certain angle onwards - the loaders had to support the turning of the turret with a hand crank, as the normal turret gearbox was too weak. It helps if the driver - as with the tank destroyers with a fixed body - turns the whole vehicle in the direction of the target. This also has the advantage that the better armored front faces the enemy. In particular if the tower hydraulics failed - if the tower could only be swiveled by hand - this measure made sense and was vital. You can do that very well in the game.
For me the main weak point at the moment is that the command menu is not sufficient, has its quirks and some "automatics" are missing in the process (for example "ready for battle").

 

Good luck

 

Guenther

34911-Wappenschild-PzBtl-14-Hildesheim-Panzerbataillon-Reservist-Panzer-Bundeswehr-Gallwitz-Kaserne-Wappen_1_600x600.jpg.8c7a064091f66b7e995a562064b610d3.jpg

 

SCG_Neun

 

what I forgot = Sorry = get well soon with SCG_Neun and it's wonderful when you get the joy of life through such a game and your own imagination.
What did I hear from a cabaret artist the other day = men live to be nine years old and after that they only grow!

Edited by Koenigstiger
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, LachenKrieg said:

I can't say I was having your problem. When turning the turret to target something, I would usually stop turning the turret once I reached the target.

 

But what they have done with mouse control now is they have over corrected and made the range of motion/mouse control too narrow.

 

When you use a joystick, you have continuous motion while holding either left or right. They need to rethink the way they are handling mouse control, because it is obviously very different from a joystick.

 

You don't have the same problem in games like WoT and WarThunder. And before anyone explodes with the arcade issue, I am talking just about being able to make something go around and around with a mouse.

 

The current mouse control setup in Tank Crew is very awkward to play with. Almost to the point where it might be more accurate to use only hull traverse to fire the main gun. Does that sound normal, or reasonable to you? 

 

It was just over a year ago  when they changed the aiming system for tank crew and made all of them behave  the same way.  Put another way,   they took a very lousy system that was in place on the sherman tank I believe, and sherman only in game, and they spread this virus to all of the tanks.   Oct or lat sept of 19 patch.   Before that  there was no lil aiming circle, or going past your target uncontrollably, etc etc etc.   I didn't play allied   but none of the german tanks had a gun/turret control issue.  We got that fix, and then all german tank guns got screwed up and  I don't think that  the functionality of pre-fall19 fix  has been restored fully.  So devs have spent over a year trying to get some functionality that matches  what we had before it got "fixed"   and are probably  80-90 %  of the way there.   It's really a shame it got changed at all back then  and all that time has been wasted that could have been directed elsewhere.  At least now, we can use keys/joystick,  and if you run 3rd party software, you can get good gun accuracy in movement at longer range targets.

 

This whole "gunlock = realistic"   crap  has just made me wonder.......     Did the whole gunlock/crap idea get implemented in order to distract people in some way from  the actual aiming of the gun itself, once you could wrestle control of it,  move it down 20 deg's or so,   turn the turret where you needed it, and try to fire, all before you get killed by someone  that had their gun under better  control, and aimed fast,  or the laser AI squad  ?      Hmmmm

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, II./JG1_Lipfert said:

Kameraden,

 

How does one jump from Gunner to Commander without having the gun barrel centre and elevate?

 

S!

Hi,

 

Its possible to switch from the gunner to commander without locking gun with ctrl+c and then back. Im not sure if it works every time.

Or with shift+3 I think.

 

Do not press shift+t (leaning off from the gunsight) in the gunner position  or the dumb loader will lock the gun a and gunner will rotate turret to 12 oclock .

 

Its one of the thing we want to change asap.

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Hi,

 

Its possible to switch from the gunner to commander without locking gun with ctrl+c and then back. Im not sure if it works every time.

Or with shift+3 I think.

 

Do not press shift+t (leaning off from the gunsight) in the gunner position  or the dumb loader will lock the gun a and gunner will rotate turret to 12 oclock .

 

Its one of the thing we want to change asap.

When I switch from gunner (with unlocked gun) to commander and back using Ctrl + C, gun is being locked upon coming back

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

When I switch from gunner (with unlocked gun) to commander and back using Ctrl + C, gun is being locked upon coming back

 

Im using ctrl+c to jump to commanders view and then shift+1 back to the gunner and the gun is no locked.

Im not sure if it works everytime.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, JG1_Wittmann said:

 

It was just over a year ago  when they changed the aiming system for tank crew and made all of them behave  the same way.  Put another way,   they took a very lousy system that was in place on the sherman tank I believe, and sherman only in game, and they spread this virus to all of the tanks.   Oct or lat sept of 19 patch.   Before that  there was no lil aiming circle, or going past your target uncontrollably, etc etc etc.   I didn't play allied   but none of the german tanks had a gun/turret control issue.  We got that fix, and then all german tank guns got screwed up and  I don't think that  the functionality of pre-fall19 fix  has been restored fully.  So devs have spent over a year trying to get some functionality that matches  what we had before it got "fixed"   and are probably  80-90 %  of the way there.   It's really a shame it got changed at all back then  and all that time has been wasted that could have been directed elsewhere.  At least now, we can use keys/joystick,  and if you run 3rd party software, you can get good gun accuracy in movement at longer range targets.

 

This whole "gunlock = realistic"   crap  has just made me wonder.......     Did the whole gunlock/crap idea get implemented in order to distract people in some way from  the actual aiming of the gun itself, once you could wrestle control of it,  move it down 20 deg's or so,   turn the turret where you needed it, and try to fire, all before you get killed by someone  that had their gun under better  control, and aimed fast,  or the laser AI squad  ?      Hmmmm

Good to know a bit more of the history behind Tank Crew, thanks. I bought in June 2020, so I can't compare my experience with game controls back in 2019, but I had no issues with gun control using a mouse when I bought Tank Crew. So even if game controls in 2019 were an improvement over what was available in June 2020, mouse control of the main gun was working perfectly fine for me back in June. But what I don't understand is how adding keys/joystick control had to affect mouse control? Why should adding a setting for joystick affect the setting for mouse control? 

 

Regarding the gun lock feature, its realism is connected to the fact that the feature was actually part of real world tanks. But I agree, the current gun lock situation here is crap because there is nothing realistic about constantly having the gun lock while you are in battle. It is almost like the Dev's have ignored the fact that Tank Crew is supposed to be a multi-player simulator, and that a single player may at times have to occupy all 4 positions.

 

Why does my gun change at all just because I switched to the Commanders position momentarily? When I set my gun up for direction, range, and zoom, as a single player manning all 4 positions, I should be able to switch between positions without affecting the settings of the gun. If I switch from targeting an enemy vehicle through the gunner's periscope to the Commander's position so that I can open the hatch and use binoculars, I should be able to switch back and forth between the gunner's periscope view and the Commanders binocular view as many times as I want/need. If I make a hull traverse so that my gun is no longer in the correct position when I return to the gunner's position, that is on me and would equate to me giving my driver an order contrary to the order I gave my gunner. This would more closely mimic the scenario of having 4 players in a single tank, and would be more realistic in terms of simulator function.

 

This is one of the current issues with Tank Crew that the Dev's could greatly enhance the simulator by fixing/updating IMO. I think the last patch tried to address this by increasing the time before an AI tank locks its gun, but this is just glossing over the real problem for the player. The player should be in control of all features in the simulator, including the AI controlled tanks in his/her platoon.

 

-The player should have a separate key binding to lock/unlock the gun, which should include an order to do the same with the AI tanks in his/her platoon.

 

-A single player should be able to set each of the four positions up the way they want to use them, and then switch between the positions without affecting the way each position was set.

 

Wish List

 

-As the player base continues to grow, the hope is that the Dev's would make all 4 of the positions in a single tank playable and fully functional. For example radio operator provides the communication link between other friendly vehicles on the battle field.

 

 

On 11/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, II./JG1_Lipfert said:

Kameraden,

 

How does one jump from Gunner to Commander without having the gun barrel centre and elevate?

 

S!

Just the fact that this question has to be asked speaks volumes about the current situation. To the Dev's, please consider the functionality of the sim from the standpoint that a single player is having to occupy all 4 positions.

Edited by LachenKrieg
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can bypass the gun lock with the keys I mentioned above, but real pain is when you are in Ferdinand or SU122 and want to look at the range finding device, so you lean off the gunsight with the Shift-T and the gun is being centered and locked. in that moment id like to smash the keyboard and burn the PC!😠

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

Wish List

 

-As the player base continues to grow, the hope is that the Dev's would make all 4 of the positions in a single tank playable and fully functional. For example radio operator provides the communication link between other friendly vehicles on the battle field.

I realize this didn't come out right. I meant to say as the player base grows, it would be good to be able to multi-crew with 4 players instead of just 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...