Mm1ut1

Advice to new tankers from a guy who gets killed a lot

Hi all !

I have been playing online as a tanker on the Finnish Virtual site for a while (Great site btw !). The site restricts the tanks to the Pzr 3&4, and the t34 & M4. The following comments and words of questionable advice are things that I learned from a few hundred hours of game time.

1. Ammo choices. I usually use APHE and HE only, with mostly APHE . The HE rounds are good for eliminating soft skin vehicles and AA and camo tents. They will detonate if you hit a tree so targets require a clean shot. I never have HE in the chamber when moving as they are pretty useless against tanks.

APHE rounds can be used against soft skin tagets, but a direct hit is usually required to take out the target.

2. I usually use the T-34 over the M4 because of the better sights. Its also faster. Big drawback is tank commander is also the gunner, a big disadvantage in close in fighting.

3. On the axis side I almost always use the Panzer IV. Sometimes if you are feeling frisky you can give the Panzer III a try, especially if playing defense or cleaning up soft targets.

Tactics.

The Axis side has a big disadvantage in that the tanks are much slower off road than the Allies. You have to stick to the roads to go anywhere quickly. The other side knows this and will set up an ambush at the beginning of a round. Basically roads are deadly for both sides as pilots of both sides love to shoot up player tanks. On the server the red side is pretty aggressive. They will frequently bypass the closest enemy base and attack the artillery or other targets. 
Playing either side avoid obvious ambush sites like sharp turns, hills, or bridges. Patients is the key (I’m guilty of this. Sometimes I stupidly rush in and get blown up). 
If outnumbered play defense. Hide in a place the enemy has to travel. Shut your engine off and listen.
If you have a friendly tank work together. Don’t bunch up and try to cover each other. Working together is a huge advantage. If you are alone and against two or more try to wait until one is isolated or you are certain you get a one shot kill. 
BTW if you miss your first shot use your machine gun if the other tank commander is exposed. If you kill the other tank commander it’s a huge advantage!

If you spot another tank let your side know. 
When you finish an attack on an enemy targets I keep five rounds for the journey home. Nothing worse than no ammo when the enemy shows up.

Trees

Trees are your friends and enemies. You can hide from aircraft and tanks, especially if engines are off. Attacking ground targets from the woods or villages take a lot of patience and is dangerous because just a slight movement may open up a line of sight to an enemy combatant and bang, your dead. If you do get a few kills move away and attack from another position. You can be located from a long ways away and planes just love to whack tanks !
Generally I try to attack from long distance rather than poking through a forest. It’s not always possible as the enemy seems to be behind trees most of the time.

Well that’s my two cents on tank combat. I really enjoy it and it’s a fun break from flying IL-2s or 110s !  See you out there! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

My experience, also from the Finnish server, is that you should try to avoid targets next to an enemy tank spawn because their players see the attack icon flashing on their map and can simply spawn and attack you. If they win you have a long drive to get back, if you win they simply respawn. Flat maps where targets are surrounded by trees are difficult because the foliage is set to block your commander's LOS (not sure why we can't use the SU-122) and the boxes of the treetrunks sometimes block your shots while providing no such impediment to AI fire at you. If you can do it, getting next to the enemy positions and using them to block AI fire is good. Best is undulating terrain which can be used for masking: you slide round the side of the hills to engage part of the enemy position rather than mounting the hill to go hull down against all of it.  I'm not sure that the T34 gunner/commander is a big disadvantage for a single player tank because you can go from unbuttoned commander view to buttoned at the gunsight with one key press. There is however the annoying gunner/commander killed result which seems to happen with almost any hit; a major improvement would be to allow other 'crew members' to substitute at lesser efficiency.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mm1ut1 said:

..... Well that’s my two cents on tank combat. I really enjoy it and it’s a fun break from flying IL-2s or 110s !  See you out there! 

Fully agree, bought TC a bit out of support first, and trying it out i realized only then the totally different view from the ground is something else.

The details you see you'll never notice from the air ...

Vluki summer among one of the best 'touristic' maps since the update.

And now the two new player controlled flak-units. Immediately bought them,  but actually i was hoping for Willys versions with or without armor.

Well, you can't have 'em all, but i keep my fingers crossed ...

Edited by jollyjack

On 9/19/2020 at 4:33 PM, Mm1ut1 said:

Trees are your friends and enemies.

I've found that also grain fields are your enemies. While I'm not able to recognize enemy AI vehicles, they see me even if I'm behind horizon. When I come close to the horizon and still don't see AI enemy through the fields, I am getting instantly killing hits from them.

How do you defend yourself in those situations?

• Upvote 1

I what you describe is actually occuring ... you can't.

Is this finnish site a multiplayer server? excuse my ignorance I gave up on TC multiplayer some months ago in frustration because of the lack of TC allowed servers.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, skpcarey1 said:

Is this finnish site a multiplayer server? excuse my ignorance I gave up on TC multiplayer some months ago in frustration because of the lack of TC allowed servers.

It is a server made for planes.They added a few tank spawns just as an experiment to see if the tankers like it.No specific targets for tanks. 

I found using binoculars very helpful.

You've gotta watch your map and look around very carefully. Use your commander's position to spot anything suspicious. If you think you are at the good range to shoot at the AI enemy,you're probably too close and they will kill you once you're in their range (depends on the preset that the map maker gave).

Edited by RIVALDO

just went into multiplayer a little while ago found one server with a decent ping(im in the US)it was called EU official something had tags on,lots of air activity but I didnt see anything Finnish can you help me out with the name of it?

Thanks   

19 minutes ago, skpcarey1 said:

just went into multiplayer a little while ago found one server with a decent ping(im in the US)it was called EU official something had tags on,lots of air activity but I didnt see anything Finnish can you help me out with the name of it?

Thanks   

EU official has the external views enabled. Its a joke!🤦‍♂️

Yea well it only one with a decent ping to me in Texas with Armor allowed, is the finnish server only up at certain times?

2 hours ago, skpcarey1 said:

Yea well it only one with a decent ping to me in Texas with Armor allowed, is the finnish server only up at certain times?

Have you tried Attention EFront server? Im in Iowa and have no problem with the ping.Ever. There's no icons or GPS. Acquired taste 😇

11 hours ago, skpcarey1 said:

Thanks Ill look for it ,whats the story with SRS ?

It's the comms inside of the game.

already installed but I prefer Teamspeak ,it is much easier to deal with, I am doing Tank and spank this sunday and will be on Their teamspeak for the event on Allied Armor

As red I tend to take the Sherman as it has slightly better AP/APHE performance and I get a kick out of shooting down aircraft with the .50.  Gunsight sucks ...

I like the SA you have in the commanders spot and Ma Deuce dont hurt either ,I managed to damage an enemy plane down low with it today on the Tank an Spank server ,all TC players should join in it was great(along with Air) .

Posted (edited)

Tank n spank put one up yesterday (wednesday) it was great ,you should come Allied Rivaldo  and stop shootin me.............. lol Pretty much everyones on their discord I never used it before works good.Nailed a low 110 last night with the 50 ,just damaged but he left me alone.

Edited by skpcarey1
  • Haha 1

I've been thinking ever since TC came out to do a Tutorial on Tank Combat and how to Conduct a Proper engagement, splicing in some of my IRL Experiences into the game this can give you quite the edge especially for Multi-Crew and how to Command the Vehicle or even Multiple when you work together with your buddies via Comms.
But tbh your hints already sum up most of what I actually wanted to say in that Video 😂
So yea I fully agree with your Description! 👍