BlackSix

Official Historical Campaign "Wind of Fury"

_cmp.thumb.jpg.3ef4ad37b679fe7f225812df278cd5b4.jpg

It is dedicated to the No. 486 (New Zealand) Squadron RAF that flew Tempest Mk.V fighters and will picture the unfolding of the air battle in the skies of North-Western Europe since October 1st, 1944, till January 1st, 1945. In general, Wind of Fury campaign will make you familiar with nearly the entire range of the real combat missions flown by Tempest pilots during the second half of 1944, briefly including the Battle of the Bulge, and will end with the Bodenplatte strike on the allied airfields.

Timeframe: October 1st, 1944 - January 1st, 1945
Unit: No. 486 (NZ) Squadron RAF
Available aircraft: Tempest Mk.V
Duration: 10 missions
Average playtime: 5 hours

This free campaign requires IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte.

01-01.thumb.jpg.6107abbe1543d03337723f120953653c.jpg01-02.thumb.jpg.73d90fca11c1035144f03954a21b6203.jpg01-03.thumb.jpg.c7fa44cf5dd5e9b547a27651fd94764f.jpg

01-04.thumb.jpg.60992b99c4ac6bb5268670c3dc4ebf28.jpg01-05.thumb.jpg.b5c160836143fb808448f2414e22cabe.jpg01-06.thumb.jpg.c17cb0d77f4e63b94a33e9ad50bd2dcb.jpg

04-03.thumb.jpg.257a58e60fc02c70ef87688a583fbce5.jpg02-02.thumb.jpg.8c8715c6146ccf5d65dceefd49043333.jpg02-03.thumb.jpg.77ffe6dfc3525491a2ec915e398bdbcc.jpg

04-06.thumb.jpg.d58f84fcf65c69d8fe611a9b440b8490.jpg03-02.thumb.jpg.7d5f6d8a2ec59a3c0acb8d17a6c709ce.jpg03-03.thumb.jpg.0cf02330d49003ffb94f8ef38f0a3099.jpg

_tempest_F01.jpg.0afb030485e2a26ddae0a7077b938fd2.jpg_tempest_F02.jpg.de48de50b61995ca76600f2da5b561aa.jpg_tempest_F03.jpg.9d06b01a2930161a9c6f82b7df4eca3f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

I'd love to have a series of coop missions for these....

As its a free campaign would u consider allowing access to the .mission files? 
Being a Kiwi this campaign is of great interest to me, 🙂
Thanks for doing this and making it available to the community !👍

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Thanks 1

I use a huge amount of ground vehicles and aircraft in each mission, more than the recommended limits, and I have to fight for every extra fps. Therefore, all events in the mission are tied to the actions and appearance of the player in certain areas. If you try to make these missions cooperative, then other players will see a lifeless map and for them everything will not work as it should. For the coop, these missions should be created in a completely different way.

The second snag is that I used complex algorithms and polished templates from my paid campaigns in this work. Wind of Fury is not inferior in quality to such campaigns as Ice Ring, Fortress on the Volga and Blazing Steppe are sold on our website. Therefore, I ask you very much to understand my motives not to make the missions of this campaign available for viewing and modification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

Hey Alex - congrats!

One of these days when I can actually FLY instead of having my face buried in the editor, I’m going to fly your stuff first thing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Hey Alex - congrats!

One of these days when I can actually FLY instead of having my face buried in the editor, I’m going to fly your stuff first thing.

Congrats from me too on another great Campaign!

I flew it already and I had a great time. ;) The Tempest is one Bad A$$ bird. 

On the next to last mission I had a new experience. I was in a dogfight and I was going head on with an FW190D. I fired with the cannons and that FW turned into a chunk of metal scrap. It turned sideways, and I caught a glimpse of the side of the fuselage right before it slammed into the front of my plane and curled the props around the cowling. I instinctively ducked and said "Holy Cr@p!" out loud. Needless to say, I had to bail out deep in enemy territory while my wife asked me what I was talking about.  

Fun stuff. @Gambit21 , you need to fly the Tempest. It's a blast.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

Fun stuff. @Gambit21 , you need to fly the Tempest. It's a blast.

You’re stuff is on my shortlist as well.

The good news is that when I finally get to it, I’ll have a ton of missions in front of me.

Yeah looking forward to that Tempest. :)

Very Nice campaign as usual

Edited by DN308

On 9/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, DN308 said:

Very Nice campaign as usual 

Once again, if you need a french translation, I’m in!

Hello! Thank you so much!

Hi,

I am little confused. I want to start the campaign, but do I need to download any skins for it as previous campaign releases (P38, P47), or should I just play with the default skins?

Edited by Zeev

11 hours ago, Zeev said:

Hi,

I am little confused. I want to start the campaign, but do I need to download any skins for it as previous campaign releases (P38, P47), or should I just play with the default skins?

Hi, there is no official skin pack and it's not planned but you can use this skins for your plane:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackSix said:

Hi, there is no official skin pack and it's not planned but you can use this skins for your plane:

Thanks. This means that only my plane will have them, right?

Thanks for this campaign 'BlackSix' - just finished all the missions and was very impressed. As you know with most of my missions I'm very big on flying historical missions or near historical missions because you are simulating close to what really happened and that's more satisfying for me personally. Your campaign follows what really happened with 486 Sqn (NZ) near the end of the war. As you say in your scripting there were some days where nothing happened and other days where you are lucky to survive.

I'm looking forward to having 'drop tanks' for the Tempests and getting the Typhoons into game. I'm gradually working on my own 'scripted campaign' which will be based on Pierre Closterman's memoirs in his book the 'Big Show'.

DFLion

486 Sqn NZ pic.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Just finished 2 levels, nice one !. Stafing trains, with standard amno, got a few nazi wagons alright, but only one loc stopped without exploding, the others got away.

Guess you need bombs altogether LoL. Frame rate, got about 90 on my new 4k monitor ....

Excellent mission! What a destructive cannon on this plane.

And it's so smooth to handle in the air.

Delightfull campaign

I'm in doubt wether to ask for this... But I don't see a download link... Am I doing something wrong here?

17 minutes ago, Sturm_ said:

Am I doing something wrong here?

Yes

It's included in the game (so long as you have Bodenplatte)

Hmmm Looking forward to fly this. Currently out of time. But it looks fantastic. Ice ring was a blast so at one point I will get this fun

1 hour ago, Sturm_ said:

I'm in doubt wether to ask for this... But I don't see a download link... Am I doing something wrong here?

you find it in your game under scripted campaigns Bodenplatte

Thanks for this campaign.  I'm part way through the campaign and enjoying it so far.  Highlight to date was almost getting struck by the wing of a Me262 that came off under my cannon fire.

One suggestion if I may is in each mission's description it would be handy to know which sectors the other flights are operating in.  Over the radio you might hear the call of a flight engaging enemy aircraft, but there is no way of knowing where those flights are.

Keep up the good work (please)

Can you cut out the boring bits or speed up the time multiplier?

Just now, PommyB said:

Can you cut out the boring bits or speed up the time multiplier?

Can you go fly the QMB?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PommyB said:

QMB?

What is QMB?

Quick mission builder

Why would I do that?

I think I know.

So you get to make your own mission without boring bits. Right?

Why not just have missions without boring bits?

Or a faster time multiplier?

Flying for 30 minutes for 30 secs of action is ...well....disappointing.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PommyB said:

Why would I do that?

1) Some people like taking off, forming up, trimming and flying the airplane, and flying in formation while looking at excellent scenery.

2) Historical campaigns include "The Boring Bits"

3) History was "Hours of boredom punctuated by seconds of sheer terror"

That's why...

There is no faster time multiplyer, that is not likely to change, but you can ask the Devs if you like.

I agree with Gambit21, the QMB might be a better option in your case than a historical campaign.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Jaeger said it...more polite that I would have which is why I didn't respond.

Thanks Jay - lol.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have played two missions.
The first one was enjoyable, the second one suffered from AI issues.
I have experienced the following in the second missions:
1. Right before arriving at our first train target, I heard two radio chatters "I am injured" and when looking back I noticed that there is only 1 wingmen left out of 3. My guess, the two of my allies collided at each other. From my experience with IL2 Great Battles, its very rare that this could happen. What are the odds? :(

2. The second group also suffered casualties I think because at the end of the attack I have noticed that they have only 1-2 planes.

3. At the landing I have tried to land right after my wingmen, but he suddenly full stopped and started drifting in place. This happened to me before with Jade Monkey's Tempest missions, so I guess its AI issue.

Any one had the same issues I did? Hope they will be fixed in future updates because I really like flying this plane.

15 hours ago, PommyB said:

Why would I do that?

I think I know.

So you get to make your own mission without boring bits. Right?

Why not just have missions without boring bits?

Or a faster time multiplier?

Flying for 30 minutes for 30 secs of action is ...well....disappointing.

Why people play Flight Simulator 2020?

I find the navigation in Great Battles less entertaining than the combat itself, but I try to fly in formation which takes some practice and focus so I would say its also have some level of entertainment and looking out of cockpit to the beautiful landscape is also a plus IMO.

8 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

1) Some people like taking off, forming up, trimming and flying the airplane, and flying in formation while looking at excellent scenery.

2) Historical campaigns include "The Boring Bits"

3) History was "Hours of boredom punctuated by seconds of sheer terror"

That's why...

There is no faster time multiplyer, that is not likely to change, but you can ask the Devs if you like.

I agree with Gambit21, the QMB might be a better option in your case than a historical campaign.

Also I would say that I really miss the taxi part in BlackSix's Campaigns, I wish there would be two versions - the longer with taxi and shorter that we have now.

Enjoying the missions I have completed so far - although the Tempest does feel like I've turned 'god mode' on after flying the P-47.

I have one bit of feedback about how the static aircraft are placed on the home airfield.  I find it very difficult to believe that the aircraft would have been lined up in parade formation beside the runway.  Firstly, in the event of a burst tire, an aircraft  taking off or landing, could leave the runway and carnage ensue.  And, secondly, that close to the front line, aircraft would have been dispersed across the airfield (in blast pens or amongst tress).  The Americans learned this the hard way at Pearl Harbor, where due to fears over sabotage, they had lined their aircraft up in close proximity thus making them very easy targets for strafing Japanese aircraft.  If there are phots to the contrary then they are generally posed for the photographer.   

2 hours ago, Yardstick said:

I have one bit of feedback about how the static aircraft are placed on the home airfield.  I find it very difficult to believe that the aircraft would have been lined up in parade formation beside the runway.  ....  If there are phots to the contrary then they are generally posed for the photographer.   

They were British, of course they parked in parade formation in a combat zone!

1680999506_SpitfireatDeRips.thumb.jpg.6e7262b7e5a3cd6452f7c8f60c64bfdb.jpg

4 hours ago, Yardstick said:

I have one bit of feedback about how the static aircraft are placed on the home airfield.  I find it very difficult to believe that the aircraft would have been lined up in parade formation beside the runway.  Firstly, in the event of a burst tire, an aircraft  taking off or landing, could leave the runway and carnage ensue.  And, secondly, that close to the front line, aircraft would have been dispersed across the airfield (in blast pens or amongst tress).  The Americans learned this the hard way at Pearl Harbor, where due to fears over sabotage, they had lined their aircraft up in close proximity thus making them very easy targets for strafing Japanese aircraft.  If there are phots to the contrary then they are generally posed for the photographer.  

Incorrect - the end.

I have photos of 352nd Mustangs and 365th P-47’s parked like this at Y-29 and Chievres.

OK - hence the rationale for Bodenplatte I suppose. 

8th AAF units in the UK followed dispersal procedures at great discomfort to the ground crews.  The 56th even used authorized maintenance crews to requisition used P-47 shipping crates as makeshift shelters in the winter months.  Just seems odd to me that the UK based units would follow SOP strictly when there was little to no chance of aerial attack and units on the continent where the risk was high would not.      

Posted (edited)

I have more feedback on this campaign.
Till now I have played 4 missions and the fourth one was very enjoyable, at last some air action!

But the third mission is also having issues, my wingmen did not attack most of the time the ground targets, and when I did tell them manually to attack ground targets they did miss all the vehicles, so I had to destroy all the 10 vehicles by myself, had only dozens of bullets left in the magazine and decided to head back home while missing all of the rest of the waypoints :(
Conclusion: Tempest needs AI rework. Hope Devs fix most of these issues in the next updates.

Edited by Zeev

Played two missions so far and enjoying it. As noted above, flying the Tempest almost feels like god mode: it’s just so stable and fast and powerful, and a few hits from the guns knock out most AI opponents.  Some might find it unchallenging as a result but I’m quite liking it!

Similar to Zeev’s experience in mission 3, in my mission 2 I just could not get my flight to attack any ground targets (or perhaps they did without me noticing, or were off attacking other waypoints’ targets).  Probably not a campaign issue though.

Anyway, looking forward to keep going with this campaign!

1 hour ago, GregP said:

Played two missions so far and enjoying it. As noted above, flying the Tempest almost feels like god mode: it’s just so stable and fast and powerful, and a few hits from the guns knock out most AI opponents.  Some might find it unchallenging as a result but I’m quite liking it!

Similar to Zeev’s experience in mission 3, in my mission 2 I just could not get my flight to attack any ground targets (or perhaps they did without me noticing, or were off attacking other waypoints’ targets).  Probably not a campaign issue though.

Anyway, looking forward to keep going with this campaign!

Yep its ammunition is so powerful that every unlucky German pilot just explodes in flames when I hit them.
One minus though is that even slightest turn at 500 KM/H can put you to sleep, and unfortunately for me my fourth mission, just after we made the Germans ran off to their home, I was following closely after the last enemy and when he turned left I followed and probably did it too fast, and crashed while my pilot was unconscious. Gonna reply this mission today, was very fun.

22 hours ago, Yardstick said:

OK - hence the rationale for Bodenplatte I suppose. 

8th AAF units in the UK followed dispersal procedures at great discomfort to the ground crews.  The 56th even used authorized maintenance crews to requisition used P-47 shipping crates as makeshift shelters in the winter months.  Just seems odd to me that the UK based units would follow SOP strictly when there was little to no chance of aerial attack and units on the continent where the risk was high would not.      

They weren't there all the time, I have photos of them in various places, including maintenance sheds etc, but were placed there selectively/ immediately before a mission I'm guessing.

From a mission building standpoint, I place aircraft along the runway for scenery purposes since the player can't see the outlaying parts of the airfield while taking off etc.

Sometimes we take a bit of license to enhance the player experience, however aircraft were indeed parked along the runway at certain times.

Nice campaign!

I've just finished it yesterday.

Really immersive and allways that damn transport flying around as a bullets magnet!!! Lol

If the dev team hasn't already covered it please consider adding the actual callsign of "Music" (eg Music Leader) to the game. My historical ref is the book Tempest Pilot by Jim Sheddan (486 Commanding Officer) which describes comms between Kenway (483 Group Control Centre) and 486 SQD - call sign Music.

Thanks

23 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

If the dev team hasn't already covered it please consider adding the actual callsign of "Music" (eg Music Leader) to the game. 

That would require each voice actor submitting additional tracks. Not likely to happen.

On 10/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, Zeev said:

One minus though is that even slightest turn at 500 KM/H can put you to sleep,

I can feel your pain. It takes a little time to get a hang of it, especially in the Tempest. But it is "fun" to watch the occasional enemy AI pilot having similar problems and as a result ending up lawn darting.

• Like 1