is it posible to set flaps on a slider?

i usually try to go near full flaps to no flaps to do extreme manoubers but with flaps set on buttoms (no realistic) takes an eternity

would be posible to set flpas as in real life in a slider i dont manage to do it

26 minutes ago, raaaid said:

i usually try to go near full flaps to no flaps to do extreme manoubers but with flaps set on buttoms (no realistic) takes an eternity

would be posible to set flpas as in real life in a slider i dont manage to do it

No, you can't set flaps to axis. And even if you could, I am quite sure the Devs would do it the same way like with trims on axis, that even when you move your slider to the wanted position at once, the flaps in game would not move faster than with buttons.

18 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

No, you can't set flaps to axis. And even if you could, I am quite sure the Devs would do it the same way like with trims on axis, that even when you move your slider to the wanted position at once, the flaps in game would not move faster than with buttons.

the benefit of the flaps on sliders would be the physical feedback from the axis on how far you've extended them without counting/looking at technochat/etc..

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

seriously consider Voiceattack...it is only 10 bucks.

I say "flaps up" or "flaps down" or "combat flaps" or "Landing Flaps" and it does what I want....

not to mention the 100 other things you can do with it..

flaps.thumb.jpg.09167ef0de420d8871c07fd78ca2efe1.jpg

Nice idead, but i see it as the thread starter: I dont want to talk with my aircraft. I want to move levers and push buttons :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, raaaid said:

You can in Cod. Not in this. I do not know why this policy is. Like they insist everything be realistic as in the cockpit. When we do not have that cockpit , but a lot of gadgets used for every plane in the game. 
Result is a gazillion keybindings some on same things but in different ways.  Oil cooler in red planes sliders. In spit heinkel buttons. I am away from this game for a long time now, when back it will be a long time learning everything not related directly to flying. 

Many aircraft in our sim do not have high multiple flap settings, nor do they have the flexibility in flap controls that you are looking for.  While some do have a sliding lever, more have essentially a constant speed electric motor driving the flaps, and a switch (sometimes embedded in a lever) that turns the motor on/off in two directions.   A slider for flaps that permits you to just tap forward a bit and forget it, in order to get - say 20% flap extension - would be unrealistic and give a pilot an advantage in combat.  The real pilot wishing to deploy flaps has to actually run the flap motor for the needed length of time, then stop it.  Other aircraft have flap lever detents intended for takeoff/approach and landing settings.  Again - not suitable for a slider.  If they let you put flaps on an axis, for the minority of planes it would apply to, how then would everyone react when the axis is disabled and they have to select an up and a down or a toggle set of buttons/keys?  With a decent HOTAS there are enough options to make the up/down or toggle the more universally realistic choice, and easily sufficient for the limited role flaps historically played in air combat.    

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, ACG_PanzerV said:

Many aircraft in our sim do not have high multiple flap settings, nor do they have the flexibility in flap controls that you are looking for.  While some do have a sliding lever, more have essentially a constant speed electric motor driving the flaps, and a switch (sometimes embedded in a lever) that turns the motor on/off in two directions.   A slider for flaps that permits you to just tap forward a bit and forget it, in order to get - say 20% flap extension - would be unrealistic and give a pilot an advantage in combat.  The real pilot wishing to deploy flaps has to actually run the flap motor for the needed length of time, then stop it.  Other aircraft have flap lever detents intended for takeoff/approach and landing settings.  Again - not suitable for a slider.  If they let you put flaps on an axis, for the minority of planes it would apply to, how then would everyone react when the axis is disabled and they have to select an up and a down or a toggle set of buttons/keys?  With a decent HOTAS there are enough options to make the up/down or toggle the more universally realistic choice, and easily sufficient for the limited role flaps historically played in air combat.    

Still, there are a/c that would benefit.

And, even if flaps up/down are the only two options in a type, a slider would still work: slider up = flaps up, slider down=flaps down. Slider anywhere in between: either up or down, ie. last fully extended position used. See flaps lever used in the spitfire. This can be programmed, and should not even be that difficult...

Well this is not on my priority list, not high anyway. But I still wish for a more general friendly key assignment. Or at least get separate profiles for planes. 
I think it is a mess as is, in soecial if one fly many types from both sides like me

I have a Saitek throttle quadrant and use it for the flaps when flying the P-38 Lightning, and they adjust to any angle.

Also, when i move the lever towards me fully and then quickly return it, the flaps go to half flaps automatically.

I haven't flown other planes yet and so can't comment on whether this would work for them.

Actually have three Saitek throttle sets in use with the P-38,  two on my left for throttle, prop pitch, and mixture, and one on the right for flaps, and one for the landing gear (wrong side of the cockpit but oh well).

Use two Saitek trim wheels for elevator and rudder trim.

This set up really adds to my immersion.

If I had the time I'd try to make similar myself; I'm envious of some of the excellent home made gear I've seen.

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Flaps on a slider only makes sense for some planes.  TheMe109 is a crank - the slider would make sense.  The FW190 had presets.  Sliders would not make sense there.

Funnily I'd think the opposite way. That you had to crank would make a slider not an option because pushing a button simulates the time it takes to crank to the position, with a slider or axis one could just set a position quickly and let the plane do the rest (a bit like mixture control on American planes, which also works in step positions mostly), so it would only be suitable for planes with a setter that is easily manipulatable. 

Anyway I think current implementation is good, except for Mig-3.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:18 AM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

You can in Cod. 

Can, but don't result in the "cheat" a la IL-2 Sturmovik 2001 that OP want.

E.g. for Bf 109, Blenheim, Hurricane... that allow set flaps down/up  in 1 to 1 degree,  the axis became a on-off-on control, so move the slider ~20º down don' make the flaps lower 20º,

just start lower flaps, and if the inverse command is not send, will lower all possible.

And  the speed of lower movement don't follow the slider speed, so no "instant" flap down or up.

In resume, just allow use a spare axis as command like a button/key.

19 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Can, but don't result in the "cheat" a la IL-2 Sturmovik 2001 that OP want.

I was not aware of that cheat thing, But still I like the cod ways to do things, assign controls for each plane. Lot more to use axis for. I have undercarrage and divebrakes and bombbay doors set to axis

Since no-one laughed at my ‘flapper’ joke...

On my Mongoose I have flaps on a side hat set to both flaps axis and button (or whatever it is called in the key setup). That way a linear flap setting is achieved by continued depression of the hat (for the 109) and digital funtion by simply pressing up or down (for the 190).

Feel free to make a Morrissey / Cobain joke about ‘depressing’.

• Upvote 2
On 9/22/2020 at 10:04 AM, EAF19_Marsh said:

'Suave', dude, we're not old but 'suave'.

We might not be old, but...remembering that "flaps on a slider" issue...makes me feel so...

Old

On 9/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, raaaid said:

That would be as broken as the stabilizers/elevators already are.