Game version 4.501 discussion: New visibility, "Wind of Fury", 4K for P-39 and Bf-109-G6, Tanks final features

I love the new spotting , its a very nice update . When they fix the instant blackout and rapid +-ve/-ve G maneuvers i'll be supper happy (that is being looked at for next patch)

Re msnbin files updating (these are the compiled mission files the game engine uses)

(its best to delete these msnbin files before opening mission in editor as they can cause problems , as editor will try to open these if present sometimes causing problems, so You need the source .mission files to make this work)

Because this is a major patch , this is required.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?do=findComment&comment=999607

image.png.762bfb04657ec063e7a5a89ff7e869e5.png

4 hours ago, JG27_M-C said:

Spoiler

It's great that many people (majority?) is happy with the patch. But the improvements I would like to have/see are related to consistence among people with issues (like myself) and different hardware and settings. By taking your words into account it seems pretty oblivious that your experience is different than mine (for the better). Because "the thing" is working on your side it doesn't translate that will work that well on other people machines and setups.

Regarding people with similar issues, after the initial hype, it seems that the numbers somewhat rising.

Cons I am experiencing:

Aircraft still disappear in front of my eyes specially contrasting against the ground at medium distances;

Close contacts are over contrasting (in some situations) and medium contacts are very dim and blurry when looked against the ground;

I am unable to see contacts (contrasting against the sky most of the time) when further away than + - 5 Km ;

Minimum FOV (max zoom) is now weird to the point that long contacts become smaller and even invisible instead of being magnified (it seems that this was intended though?);

The spotting, in general, is inconsistent across different maps (textures on the ground?), lighting and whether conditions. Many times I found easier to spot a plane in dark/overcast days that in plain bright sun daylight in very similar situation/geometry.

Pros I am experiencing:

Best LOD in the business I have ever seen. It provides (for a trained eye) what it takes for a good aircraft identification. Comparing to 1946 and even CloD it is miles away;

Spotting marginally (in substantial situations) better that in was before.

~S~

PS: I fly mainly full real servers. What's the point of trying Enhanced mode in the first place? If I would like to fly Icons I wouldn't join full real servers as well... your assumption that I am trying to ask that spotting becomes like having icons it´s just not fair. Besides, as stated, my experience is different than yours. I would just love to have consistency across the board. That's just it!

Its possible dif hardware and software settings it's not working as intended (for me its a huge improvement, and I have not expereinced your problems with things disappearing, quite the opposite, things no longer disappear with dif FOV like before)

Moving forward to get help with this you need to post specifics of hardware being used, and graphics settings in game, windows version and driver versions (and any changes made in things like Nvidia Settings).

It might also be advised to do a clean graphics driver re-install or an update (again clean) if you are on older drivers, and do a file verify (steam) or repair (standalone) of the game install.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Third night in a row that I was able to fly (those with wives and kids will understand), and I am again and again amazed how much and how well this spotting has been done!

For the fun of it I tried the "Enhanced visibility" option and I do have to say that I don't like it - this is the overdone scaling some were afraid of here. Still, it is good to have it in, since some will no doubt find use for it offline.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Han said:

Sorry. Lools like fix of the trouble that M4 commander should not use pistol/binos in same time with machinegun went wrong. To be fixed soon.

At the moment - just hit "T" key again - pistols and binoculars will be available again.

I also would like add that when you use binoculars or pistol I can't aim them with mouse but with headtracker instead (Edtracker here, don't know if it's same for TrackIR). Hopefully this is looked into also.

6 minutes ago, Solitojorgesoo said:

Cannot download the update, and  Steam and informs some error. So I cannot either update, nor play it. Is it a way to initiate the game without the update  ?

Thanks

Post the error message, and your download region settings for steam.

(screenshot it)

3 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

I`m not a real pilot but I would imagine that spotting planes vary in different conditions. It means the map and weather. It can`t be exactly the same all the time. It seems that for the most of the players it`s working pretty good.

Enhanced setting is for 10km+ spotting. Below that it`s the same afaik.

Edit: What`s your HW and settings?

Hi!

I7 4770K@4.2Ghz, 2xSamsung Evo Pro SSD@RAID 0, 16 GB RAM XMP profile, GTX 2070 GPU and a Samsung UE43RU7105kXXC 4K@60Hz + TIR5 Pro.

Lack of consistency and coherence not as conditional factors comparable to what we get in real live but as getting different outcomes in same game conditions and/or being harder do spot in good weather/bright light Vs bad weather/poor light or substantial different results regarding the hardware/settings used.

Check pics for settings.

~S~

PS: screen is gamma and color calibrated by professional hardware/software (datacolor) as I am a landscape photography enthusiast.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by JG27_M-C
15 minutes ago, JG27_M-C said:

Snip

First of all, cut the Nvidia CP stuff to minimum. Don`t use any antialiasing in there as SuperEtendard said above. Just adjust latency and if you must, leave the Negative
LOD bias to the Clamp and Texture Quality to the max. If you don`t still see anything better than before, that`s strange.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

It works though, the binos/flare gun does not work anymore when the turret is active (default 't'), deactivating it makes the binos work again.

Settings -> Input -> Turret Control -> Joystick

Thanks Jordan, poked around a bit with that key binding, I now get how it works.

For a moment I was worried that it would be necessary to lock the turret when the hatch is closed, i.e. locking the turret proper.

However, how it seems to work, is that you press that key, while looking out of the hatch, locking some nonexistent thing, maybe a nonexistant top mounted machinegun, and then indeed the binos and the flare guns work.

Not a problem once you know what you have to do, but it also seems quite pointless on the T34. While I see that on the Sherman it might make some sense.

1 hour ago, JG27_M-C said:

1.png

2.png

Ouf what a MESS! Lets get you to a proper starting point:

I'd recommend for Nvidia CP:

- Anisotropic off / application controlled

- gamma correction ON (Important if HDR ingame is off)

- Antialiasing mode application controlled

- Antialiasing setting off (as is application controlled)

- Negative lod bias Allow

Startup.cfg (Il2/data folder):

- land_anisotropy = 16

- land_tex_lods = 7

- hdr / bloom = 0 (hdr on Introduces a lot of shimmering on low angles, esp, landscape)

- post_sharpen = 1

- ssao = 0

- preset = 3 (Ultra preset - helps with color banding for example)

Try these and see if it helps - you really need to clean that clutter of overlaying settings ingame and in the driver.

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

- land_anisotropy = 16

- land_tex_lods = 7

- hdr / bloom = 0 (hdr on Introduces a lot of shimmering on low angles, esp, landscape)

- post_sharpen = 1

- ssao = 0

Try these and see if it helps - you really need to clean that clutter of overlaying settings ingame and in the driver.

Didn't even realized those 2 as one being able to edit.

- land_anisotropy = 16

- land_tex_lods = 7

Will stop overlapping AF out of ignorance. Although I have better results @16x but in my cfg the number is at 2 (never messed with that particular setting). I will try AF @Application Controlled changing the cfg to 16, as per your suggestion. Thanks!

I use HDR and Bloom (On) (it's helping the spotting and level of reflections on my end). Also putting gamma correction to OFF is making contacts (medium far) sightly less dim.

Regarding AA, I am having better results LOD and image quality wise  with Enhanced the Application Settings (8x). Technically this one is not overlapping.

~S~

Edited by JG27_M-C

Thank you Devs for the significantly improved visibility. The other night when I first tried it out on CombatBox, I found an allied P-51 and managed to stay on his wing for a long time and despite a couple mis-steps in formation flying which caused me to lose him briefly, I was able to re-acquire him and follow again. Unfortunately I was so impressed with being able to do that I stopped scanning for threats and got bounced. Anyway, it's also great to be better able to discern a target's aspect now.  Prior to this update it was so difficult just finding the tiny, faint smudges that were unidentified aircraft, let alone figuring out in time whether it was turning away from you or towards you. I can even manage to spot multiple contacts attacking an airfield now, instead of seeing only one and then while attacking it get bounced by their wingman.

• Like 2
On 9/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

It's also a matter of getting back again, where your only option usually is to stay low at first, if you fly ground attack. 

I really do fear, that the enhanced spotting, will turn it into a fighter game only. 

I didn't feel like it did. It helped. We could see fights and go around. My squadron was bombing all night.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I had to come here and post because I just watched 2 of my ace AI wingmen land aggressive high angle deflection shots onto enemy fighters and I couldn't be more pleased with their reworked aiming system.

I no longer have to do my best impression of this instructor while watching my wingmen circle harmlessly and miss all their shots:

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Ram399 said:

I had to come here and post because I just watched 2 of my ace AI wingmen land aggressive high angle deflection shots onto enemy fighters and I couldn't be more pleased with their reworked aiming system.

I no longer have to do my best impression of this instructor while watching my wingmen circle harmlessly and miss all their shots:

is that a new sight for the BF109-G6 or for P-39?

Edited by Monksilver

First of all, many thanks to all the dev team. Adressing aircraft visibility is a very important issue in combat flying. In MS2020 type flying no one cares. I like also the haze control.

I understand we have now an MSAA x8 version. Is MSAA only as x8 or can we choose.

In the settings we can only select FSAA or MSAA nothing else. Did I miss something?

What about a future DLSS 2.0 ? 😇

• 1CGS
On 9/19/2020 at 2:11 PM, =ILS=_ppph said:

Yeah, I realize that, everything was all good more noticeable etc, just when I zoom in to further id the plane, it feels like the enemy planes were not rendered to the zoom magnitude? Is it the way supposed to be after the new update? That is why I am little bit confused.

I need an example, video, screenshots or/and tracks. Specifics in one word.

7 hours ago, Heliopause said:

Very chill pilot nowedays ...

AI?

• 1CGS
22 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

I had read that this campaign could use @obelix  Tempest Skins but I couldn't figure out how to activate them ???

P.S. We would like to thank the community member @Obelix for his 4K skins for the Tempests of 486th squadron which were used to create the images for the campaign and his advice on the additional official Tempest skin with the invasion stripes that was added to the sim.

This squadron would require 12 different skins, and there are also 4 Tempest squadrons flying around you. And about 10 squadrons of Spitfires, and many Lutfwaffe units. We have no the opportunity to make skins for the campaigns and I had no right to ask anyone from community to do such a huge amount of work.

22 hours ago, PatCartier said:

It's a shame, but we can't use Obelix's skins only for our own plane.

That's why I prefer campaigns created by third parties. You can assign a skin to each aircraft via the M.E.

Shame ... Ok, this lesson learned, thanks a lot.

There is an issue with the Po-2's LOD. At short range (less than 1k) the wings disappear if you zoom all the way out and reappear if you zoom back in one or two steps.

Only noticed it once so far. I'll try to get it repeatable when I have time.

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • 1CGS
50 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

There is an issue with the Po-2's LOD. At short range (less than 1k) the wings disappear if you zoom all the way out and reappear if you zoom back in one or two steps.

Only noticed it once so far. I'll try to get it repeatable when I have time.

Thank you, we are already researching the problem.

28 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

Not AI. Was on a server. Other (Tempest) pilots looked normal. Two recordings. In both his head is like this.

I'll ask you to give me both tracks.

3 hours ago, BlackSix said:

This squadron would require 12 different skins, and there are also 4 Tempest squadrons flying around you. And about 10 squadrons of Spitfires, and many Lutfwaffe units. We have no the opportunity to make skins for the campaigns and I had no right to ask anyone from community to do such a huge amount of work.

Shame ... Ok, this lesson learned, thanks a lot.

Hello,

If you want to use my Tempest Skins for 274 Squadron, in addition to those for 486 sqdn Obelix. you can use them. and I am ready to make you more.

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Thanks 1
On 9/20/2020 at 8:52 AM, 216th_Jordan said:

- land_anisotropy = 16

- land_tex_lods = 7

- post_sharpen = 1

- ssao = 0

Jordan,

Thanks for your input.

land_anisotropy setting is also on 2 for me, so I was wondering why you recommend this setting to 16, which seems a huge difference? What would we be seeing differently on 16 from 2? And also the land_tex_lods = 7?

I agree, the HDR gives lots of shimmering with low landscape angles!

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
8 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Jordan,

This land_anisotropy setting is also on 2 for me, so I was wondering why you recommend this setting to 16, which seems a huge difference? What would we be seeing differently on 16 from 2? And also the land_tex_lods = 7?

I agree, the HDR gives lots of shimmering with low landscape angles!

These are settings recommended by @LizLemon, I found them to work well. 16 means Anisotropic 16x I'd guess, which would be a preferred setting.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

These are settings recommended by @LizLemon, I found them to work well. 16 means Anisotropic 16x I'd guess, which would be a preferred setting.

Ok these settings are great and have done a lot for the jaggies and landscape shimmers. Wish I saw this before, and thank you for posting! 

land_anisotropy = 16 and land_tex_lods = 7 really makes the landscape look good. These flickering rivers/roads and distant horizon, especially at the lower angles have always bothered me. 

I wonder why devs don't make this part of a setting or preset?

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
5 hours ago, sevenless said:

Those doubleshifts taking its toll. Taking a nap in between.

1056488244_Tempeststartup.png.a8bfc8ba2c34b925949138723063b4e9.png

More likely the in-cockpit Carbon Monoxide poisoning that the type was plagued with. Look at those exhaust fumes!

• Haha 2

I flew the U2 around at the time. So no idea what he saw. For him things where normal I take.

U2 Tempest formation.png

6 hours ago, sevenless said:

Those doubleshifts taking its toll. Taking a nap in between.

1056488244_Tempeststartup.png.a8bfc8ba2c34b925949138723063b4e9.png

Starting the engine whilst taking a nap? Incorrectly moddelled 😀

Edited by Heliopause
  • Haha 1
  • 1CGS
4 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hello,

If you want to use my Tempest Skins for 274 Squadron, in addition to those for 486 sqdn Obelix. you can use them. and I am ready to make you more.

Thank you very much for the offer, but I cannot work on this campaign any longer. The allotted time is over, I've to switch to a new task. In the future, we'll add new aircraft, but there is no time left for full-fledged work with camouflages and I didn't plan it initially.

Putting in my two cents after having an opportunity to spend a little time with the new spotting:   Great improvement and thank you!  A 4x4 furball now looks like a 4x4 furball, in the sense that you can look around while on the tail of an opponent, and see some of the other action going on, as opposed to the old scenario of looking around and wondering where everyone disappeared to, then looking back and seeing that your prey has disappeared as well. 

This release thus earns the highest possible accolade of "Bitchen' Stuff!!"  👍🤘:drinks:

• Upvote 3
  • Han unpinned this topic