Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Quest 2 Specs

The new specs for Quest 2.

Pre-orders open. Release date Oct 13th.

There will be no more Rifts developed. 

There will be 90 HZ Link to connect to PC first of the year. Up until then you can connect on 72 HZ default.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-2-review-better-in-almost-every-way/

Quest 2 Review.

Edited by dburne

Getting this as a one stop, double shot upgrade to my quest and rift S.  Will use the link cable for my flying. May not be the top tier setup, but offers the most versatility for the price. 

40 minutes ago, kuk111 said:

Getting this as a one stop, double shot upgrade to my quest and rift S.  Will use the link cable for my flying. May not be the top tier setup, but offers the most versatility for the price. 

Yeah not a bad choice really, especially if you also make use of the mobile aspect.

Price is very attractive for what you get, if you don't mind your data being farmed by Facebook.

I think Oculus probably will be making some good strides in the Link setup for the Quest 2  also.

I think for me, I will take a pass this time and see how my upcoming Reverb G2 does for me.

I have the original Quest also but find I don't use it all that much.

Still though this Quest 2 is attractive and should help grow the VR platform going forward. No one else has anything quite like it.

22 minutes ago, dburne said:

I think Oculus probably will be making some good strides in the Link setup for the Quest 2  also.

I was surprised to see that Rift S is going away in favor of supporting Quest Link and at the same time Q2 still uses USB for link. I would think that USB 3.0 (or even 3.1) would be the chokepoint compared to DP used in Rift S, no? Would there be a point that PC hardware wouldn’t matter because it was limited by the USB connection? 

I would eventually like a VR system.  No to facebook.  That aspect alone takes this out of the running for me.  Wouldnt matter how good this is or their next one.

Sorry, my 0.02 cents.

45 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah not a bad choice really, especially if you also make use of the mobile aspect.

Price is very attractive for what you get, if you don't mind your data being farmed by Facebook.

I never kept my hand size a secret ;) they are welcome to it haha 

6 minutes ago, Didney_World said:

How does the link with the PC?  Are the goggles recognized as a direct HMD/display or it's some sort of a "streaming" crap?

I have used my Quest via Link to the PC and it did surprisingly well, both in some Oculus games and in IL-2 and DCS.

I still prefer the Rift S over it though as the original Quest was not as comfortable for one.

Yes the video is streamed through the Link cable at 72 Hz.

There are also some users in here now that only have the Quest and are using it with Link.

10 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have used my Quest via Link to the PC and it did surprisingly well, both in some Oculus games and in IL-2 and DCS.

I still prefer the Rift S over it though as the original Quest was not as comfortable for one.

Yes the video is streamed through the Link cable at 72 Hz.

There are also some users in here now that only have the Quest and are using it with Link.

i wonder how the additional latency from compressions/decompression affects the gameplay... I presume for the slow scenes it's enough, but the fast ones.. eh..

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Didney_World said:

i wonder how the additional latency from compressions/decompression affects the gameplay... I presume for the slow scenes it's enough, but the fast ones.. eh..

I honestly could not tell much difference, I was really impressed.

Having said that though, I have the Reverb G2 on Pre-Order and this new Quest 2 may likely be the first Oculus device I do not purchase.

Not too fond of the Facebook Account requirement now either. 

With this new tie in, the Quest 2 is not the product, we are the product with all the data on us FB will be gathering and selling.

Helps supplement the price of the headset.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 2

I am resigned to using Facebook so that part doesn't really bother me, and my Quest experience has been very good, though it is my only VR HMD I have ever tried at home. Oculus Tray Tool and OpenComposite work well for me, and I'm guessing my current Link cable will suffice for the Quest 2's initial launch.

At this point my Reverb G2 preorder has some indefinite release date...

...but it isn't clear to me if the resolution and clarity of the Quest 2 with IL-2 will be improved if I'm using my current Quest 1's Link cable, which runs at 72Hz. I think I'll impatiently wait for the G2 and hopefully be fine with the switch to SteamVR, then see how others here with the Quest 2 fare after 90Hz is added to the Link interface.

Edited by Charlo-VR
grammar
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Didney_World said:

I have only used Quest link for IL2 so unfortunately have nothing to compare to but this is a concern I have as well. I am considering the switch to a dedicated PCVR HMD over my current Quest 1 but my PC hardware needs an upgrade first. If there is little to no difference in quality on link though it seems like the Quest 2 would be a good option. I did see a review that mentioned it wasn’t a “must have now” if you already own a Quest 1 but that may change in the future when link goes to 90hz or once game development improves to take advantage of the hardware. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody excited by the 50% increase in resolution? Or won't it offer much visual improvement over a Rift or Q1?

9 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

Nobody excited by the 50% increase in resolution? Or won't it offer much visual improvement over a Rift or Q1?

Jump to 12:45 of the posted vid above. Quest 2 is very sharp compared to Q1

Edited by kuk111
  • Like 1

The "problem" of the Quest1 was not the lack of higher resolution. It was the lack of appealing games and the comfort (it was heavy). I didn´t use it too much.

If you like sims (Flight, Space, Racing) there is no point to go to Quest2 since you will be always using the PC USB link, and then, it is better to have a PC Headset like G2, Pimax or Index.

You will be penalized by a lower FOV, higher latency and most likely worse comfort. And the F-word thing.

It is interesting to look at the ArsTechnica review of Quest2 before you press the button:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

They say Quest2 (over Quest1) have worse tracking, heavier controllers, less battery life, worse IPD adjust, worse strap, not OLED panels...

The guys from Tested also said that the weight and momentum issue is still not solved in Quest2.

I think VR mobile games will be always 2 or 3 steps behind PC-VR games with all the power of modern CPU/GPU. So unless your main reason is not sims you should forget Quest1 or 2.

As far as we know, only 3 people from 222 who voted uses Quest PC link: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/57456-which-vr-device-do-you-use-jan-2020-poll/

Then, talking about price. Here in Europe is 349€ for the Quest2 64GB, but there is two accessories that are a must (according to Tested):

Elite strap 49€ and Oculus link cable 99€.

So we are talking about spending 500€ for a device which has less resolution, less FOV, worse audio, worse comfort, worse IPD adjust, worse latency than the Reverb G2 (I paid 580€ on pre-order). And the F-word.

Oculus has abandoned completely the PC line, nothing prevents them to release the Half-Dome with good FOV, good resolution and low weight. But instead they will discontinue the Rift-S in Feb-2021. 

Summary: Oculus is dead for us simmers.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 1

@chiliwili69

Did you ever use your Quest with Link and IL-2?

Also isn't the FOV about on par with the Reverb?

Edited by dburne

I think the real question isn’t in comparison to the G2, thing was practically made for the hard core sim enthusiasts. But how much of a step up it will be from the rift S. 

For that small price you get 

huge resolution bump

access to your oculus ecosystem

access to you steam library 

higher refresh rate (*soon)
can unlink it and take it with you anywhere.

sound was already a issue with rift S.

comfort at least was addresses with a better strap option.

will have to wait for some more “through the lens” comparisons 

If dburne was impressed with the link, I am confident this package will punch above its class on the PC side of VR. Like them or not FB knows how to shake it up.

• Upvote 1

I still didn't really get into VR even if I bought an Odyssey+, I really don't understand why the manufacturers don't provide a front camera in order to make us able to see what is beyond our VR headset by pushing a button or something, like a "Push-to-see" concept..

Can anybody explain me where I'm skidding from common sense ?

14 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

I still didn't really get into VR even if I bought an Odyssey+, I really don't understand why the manufacturers don't provide a front camera in order to make us able to see what is beyond our VR headset by pushing a button or something, like a "Push-to-see" concept..

Can anybody explain me where I'm skidding from common sense ?

the "passthrough" mode is available in SteamVR for different headsets.

https://skarredghost.com/2019/08/27/how-to-passthrough-mr-valve-index/

Edited by Didney_World
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Didney_World said:

can't find anything on O+ having the passthrough cameras..  There's also some "Flashlight" mode for WMR headsets. I guess you just need to give it a try?

https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-is-adding-pass-through-video-to-windows-vr-headsets/

Thank you ! I have some read now.

Why don't people more talk about that ? Isn't it that essential ? How do you guys chek your on-keyboard commands ? 🤨

34 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

Thank you ! I have some read now.

Why don't people more talk about that ? Isn't it that essential ? How do you guys chek your on-keyboard commands ? 🤨

Well, my controls are mostly mapped to HOTAS and the switches on it I can find with my eyes closed. For chat and occasional keyboard commands i have a small Rii keyboard (bluetooth) that I strapped to my wrist and I can peek at it thru a nose gap in HMD. :)  It works for me. 

My personal passthrough camera experience is pretty lame to tell you the truth, it's not really HD I think, so you may have trouble actually seeing keyboard letters in clarity, but I may be wrong, it's different per HMD. Although there are some 3rd party solutions where you clip an HD web cam on the HMD's front and then you can pipe that view in to HMD via VRoverlay app.

edit:  the passthrough mode was added by the manufacturers mostly for safety purposes, i.e. so you won't bump in to the furniture/walls, that kind of a thing. I don't think it was designed for clarity.

Edited by Didney_World
  • Upvote 1

Yeah Oculus has passthrough also and it is ok for checking surroundings, not much good for trying to hit letters on keyboard to type.

I'm hoping Valve Index has done well enough for them that they have an 'S' model in the works. I love mine, it has better FOV compared to anything other than a Pimax, the only thing I'd change about it is the display density. It's not bad but it's a long way behind Reverb and 8KX. If they can sub in a 2k by 2k panel for each eye but keep the nice FOV and comfort/adjustability, that would be great. I wouldn't say no to reducing the weight a couple hundred grams too.

11 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I'm hoping Valve Index has done well enough for them that they have an 'S' model in the works. I love mine, it has better FOV compared to anything other than a Pimax, the only thing I'd change about it is the display density. It's not bad but it's a long way behind Reverb and 8KX. If they can sub in a 2k by 2k panel for each eye but keep the nice FOV and comfort/adjustability, that would be great. I wouldn't say no to reducing the weight a couple hundred grams too.

I would love to see an improved Index with inside/out tracking to take away the Lighthouse requirement.

I would be all over that.

21 hours ago, dburne said:

Did you ever use your Quest with Link and IL-2?

No I didn´t. The reason for that is that I already have the Index for IL-2 and my curiosity was not big enough to buy a 99€ cable and install again all Oculus software in my PC  (given that I am always a curious guy). The Quest1 was not going to give ANY improvement over the Index so I even didn´t try it.

10 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

No I didn´t. The reason for that is that I already have the Index for IL-2 and my curiosity was not big enough to buy a 99€ cable and install again all Oculus software in my PC  (given that I am always a curious guy). The Quest1 was not going to give ANY improvement over the Index so I even didn´t try it.

To be fair, you don’t need to use the $99 cable anymore. It can run on usb 2.0 at this point and I use a $17 from amazon 3rd party USB 3.0 cable just fine.