Blitzen

New aircraft damage decals seem weak to me

I have my settings on high for Damage Decals " but the results in game seem disappointing to me.The damage on the newer aircraft in outside views appear to be insignificant, while inside the cockpit I can have the instruments shot out & oils covering the windscreen.In this case and me wounded or dead.In a recent flight in the beautiful dewontine D-520 i had 2 bullet holes in the upper decking of the fuselage and that was it. Similar lack of damage evidence has been seen in the P-40's I've flown. Bombers & twins I've attacked do lose wing & tail parts its true , but bullet damage ( i.e. bullet holes ) is very limited unless you count frayed elevator & ailerons.I'm not sure if cannon fire makes that much difference and getting an aircraft to catch fire takes a multitude of hits ( although I did have a small engine fire in a D-520 yesterday...interesting for sure,)I'm not sure.
I seem to remember in original modded CloD and perhaps Blitz battle damage was more evident.I could be wrong of course, but wondered if this small amount I'm seeing now might be related to FPS in some way...?

I must add that I flew an older CloD BoB mission flown yesterday in a Hurricane and was killed & my aircraft blasted to ribbons by a 109 on my 6 o'clock- a real difference between what I had been experiencing in visible damage in newere\ DWT aircraft,it seemed to me..🧐

( originally posted at ATAG site.)

• Upvote 3

I agree, some aircraft seem to have a lack of visual damage modelling and yet the Spitfire damage modelling looks absolutely incredible!

It's to do with the caliber of your shots. Cannon shots do way more damage of course.

I think that many other flight sims have made us believe that there should be way more bullet holes than there actually would be, since usually there are just decals applied to "left wing light damage", "left wing heavy damage" etc - whereas CloD puts a single hole at each impact - odds are you're just not hitting your enemy with that many shots.

You can see at the end of a singleplayer mission (not all the time for some reason) your shots fired/shots hit ratio. I've had occasions where I've killed a plane with less than 10 bullets hit for example.

If you do get a good burst in with small caliber MG, you WILL see more bullet holes - but it will still probably look like a small scattering of small holes - because that's what actually happened. No huge bursts like you see on the Spitfire - that's because the Spit is getting shot at by a 109 with 20mm mine shells - when you're hitting the 109 it's with 303s. Now with the Spit cannons you will see larger holes on the 109 as well similar to what you can see on the Spit.

Nothing wrong with the visual DM I don't think. People just expect to see more carnage than is actually there because of what every other sim does.

Actually I was looking at shots that hit me in the Tomahawk. I had two holes in the upper decking of the fuselage.They were small but maybe cannon hits from the offending 109.The bullets from these holes wrecked my instrument panel, wounded me AND disabled my engine. I guess you could argue possible , but perhaps improbable?

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Actually I was looking at shots that hit me in the Tomahawk. I had two holes in the upper decking of the fuselage.They were small but maybe cannon hits from the offending 109.The bullets from these holes wrecked my instrument panel, wounded me AND disabled my engine. I guess you could argue possible , but perhaps improbable?

Only need one bullet to wound you or disable your engine.

The cockpit visual damage is a bit of a different one - this type of damage does not accurately represent the individual location of each bullet - it's just a simple "cockpit damage -> show the cockpit instrument panel all messed up" so if your gunsight is gone and there are a bunch of holes in your canopy and instruments that may have been just one bullet and it might have wounded you too.

It is possible that sometimes bullet holes fail to appear on the external view. But in general it is pretty darn close.

16 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

Only need one bullet to wound you or disable your engine.

The cockpit visual damage is a bit of a different one - this type of damage does not accurately represent the individual location of each bullet - it's just a simple "cockpit damage -> show the cockpit instrument panel all messed up" so if your gunsight is gone and there are a bunch of holes in your canopy and instruments that may have been just one bullet and it might have wounded you too.

It is possible that sometimes bullet holes fail to appear on the external view. But in general it is pretty darn close.

I have no reason to doubt that tis could actually be the case as you state( one bullet in the right place could ,conceivably bring down an aircraft, esp if it hit the pilot...), but in my brief experience with DWT ( and long experience with CLOD) i'd have to say from observation the new planes do not have the overall damage visually that was shown and still shown  in the planes in CLOD.I must add that I flew an older CloD BoB mission in a Hurricane and was killed & my aircraft blasted to ribbons ( fabric was absolutely blown away..) by a 109 on my 6 o'clock- a real difference between what I had been experiencing in visible damage in newer\ DWT aircraft ,it seemed to me..just saying...

• Upvote 1