Sign in to follow this  
9./JG52_J-HAT

Question regarding Bf 109F aileron Control damage

Hi everyone,

I‘ve noticed in my last flights that many times when I get hit by a burst from a Spitfire V one of the things to get damaged are the aileron controls.
I rarely take crippling shots and the plane is usually still good enough to make it to base and land / ditch. But it stroke me that almost every time I get hit one of the things that get knocked out are both aileron controls. Not one or the other because their respective rods were torn, but both with a single message.

From what I understand the 109 aileron actuating rods were linked together directly under the control column, extending to the respective wings and connected to the ailerons. Both ailerons would get knocked out only if the shots damage the linkage under the control column or both rods at the same time. In the former most probably also damaging elevators control in the process. But it has always been both aileron controls that get damaged at the same time.

Is there a specific reason for this? Like a modelling or damage model limitation or is it just a huge coincidence? Just curious.

Thanks.

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT
  • Upvote 1

I believe it works like this from a game point of view:

The control rods (on both wings) are flagged in the damage model as "aileron control" - so if it's damaged, you'll get the message "aileron control destroyed". In CloD there are no separate damage types like "left aileron control destroyed" or "right aileron control destroyed".

It then simulates the loss of the control axis by freezing that axis in place - so if you're in a hard right roll, your ailerons are now stuck in the full right posision. If you have the control input in an info window that shows the axes you can see this is the case. Earlier today my elevator got disabled while I was pulling up, I tried to settle the plane down using trim but it wasn't enough and I had to bail.

I don't think this is realisitc, I think the control should be frozen in place at the neutral position, you would imagine that the aerodynamic forces on a control surface with a broken cable or rod would push it back to centre.

So to answer your question, it is a damage model limitation that means that both ailerons are lost at the same time since there is no separate damage type for left and right ailerons disabled.

Thanks Flare, that‘s what ai thought.

Regarding the control surfaces staying in position, that is new to me. At least from what I can remember, every single time I lost control surface actuation (not the surface itself)  they stayed in a neutral stance. Ailerons, elevator or rudder. 
Of course it may also be a coincidence that they were neutral when hit or I just didn‘t notice the effect too much. But I don‘t think I’ve had a completely uncontrollable plane like you describe from just losing control of one or two of the three surfaces. Could it be that it is different in different planes?

Sure, with all three gone there is not much you can do, but if you still have rudder you can control the bank somewhat (when there is no significant lift degradation and you still maintained a relative neutral bank attitude before losing control). In the 109 the trim moves the entire horizontal stabilizer, which makes keeping the nose from dipping too much or the plane going into a loop easier even when you lost elevator control. No rudder is usually not a problem but just rudder loss is also the rarest situation.

Yes, once the control rods / cables are disconnect the surfaces should just flap according to the aerodynamic forces.
And it would be great to have separate control surface actuator damage.

Maybe these things can be implemented in the future, if possible.

• Like 2