Sign in to follow this  
Artful_Dodger

Been gone along time

Hello all...I used to play online (hyper lobby) until about mid 2008.  Career and life in general pulled me away from the game though I occasionally patched game, flew offline, and have been somewhat aware that development  continued.  My current version is 4.13.4m and I see there are many other off shoots of the game.  What is the latest version available and where is best to find it?  Some of the other games like cliffs of Dover and others...are they stand alone or do they build off this version?

I apologize in advance for asking questions that likely exist right here in this forum but as I started reading through threads, I just can't easily piece together what all has transpired in almost 12 years.

1) Il-2 1946 is still officially supported by Team Daidalos, although at a small and slow pace. The last version is 4.14.1, links can be found here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=230316

Most popular custom mod packages for the game are based on lower version numbers, however. Since they're not official, you'll have to check other forums for more info, Like that one for example:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

2) Il-2 Cliffs of Dover is a separate franchise, first developed and released in 2011 by the same guys who did 1946 (minus Oleg Maddox, who moved on to other career), abandoned shortly later, modded unofficially later for years, revived officially not long ago - now under active development by Team Fusion studio (you might have noticed their Tobruk payware expansion pack released for the game recently).

3) Il-2 Great Battles (Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban/Bodenplatte) is also a separate franchise, under long time, active development of 777 Studio, know previously for their Rise of Flight simulator.

All three products share "Il-2 Sturmovik" main title (strictly for recognizeable trademark / publicity reasons) and the same publisher - Russian 1C corporation, but are otherwise unrelated.

This particular website and forum are mostly aimed at 2) and 3) players, so unless you intend to start playing these two newer games next to (or instead of) old '46, you won't find much info about whereabouts of latter over here.

In practical terms:

a) '46 is still played but only by relatively small community of dedicated veterans, simply because despite its greatness, it's just outdated product by today's standards.

b) Great Battles series has kind of become a new "standard" and successor to '46;

c) revived Cliffs of Dover tries to catch up with Great Battles, but is more of a complement rather than competition. Both have their weak and strong points.

Edited by Art-J

Thank you very much...I was trying to convert my version to a lower one so that I could try the SAS material but I'm not sure the "downgrade" worked and the files I downloaded from the mirror on SAS website said file was corrupt so I took a break from it...besides, I've found my Saitek X52 is kinda screwed up in the rudder and pedals seem to be malfunctioning too...I might pony up for a new Joystick but holy crap has it gotten expensive!