Reservations over the pending Normandy map quality?

Contemplating pre-purchasing the Normandy map but very reluctant as I can't help but feel the quality of detail/ realism of the BOB seems much lower than previous maps in BOM, BOS which are especially stunning in Winter; The last map just seems so bland and basic.

It's just my personal opinion, but map quality is one of the main reasons I was drawn to IL-2, so.I really hope BON reverts back to the stunning quality of early maps! 

• Upvote 1

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Normandy map will incorporate some improvements. The Rheinland map was very ambitious in many respects, as it had the largest land area and very many urban regions and airbases. It has been frequently criticized for missing some infrastructure and smaller settlements. The developers are certainly aware of this.

The Normandy map project may be easier because the overall area is smaller and a large chunk is plain water. Therefore, it may be possible to increase the level of detail with no additional development effort. Furthermore, the developers have said that they've made some new tech that will help in the Normandy map production.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

If I where you I would hold tight to that money. 
If you are not willing to soend it on bobp quality as you say. If in doubt you are doing yourselves favor not to. 
Personally for me it is a no brainer. I spend it without a map. I can fly the tiffy and mossie over Moscow. 
You are on your own on that choice, all blame on you if you regret

• Confused 1

There are always compromises that have to be made in any project. The Bodenplatte map followed the very hard to top Kuban map and came with the added challenge of representing one of the most densely populated regions in Europe in the 1940s. They did some great work but it is still a compromise.

Normandy will be a bit different. I think it will be a bit more like Kuban in terms of detail and we also know they are furthering their efforts to improve map quality.

I didn't buy it explicitly for the map. The aircraft are the primary draw for me. You'll have to determine what matters most for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

It'll be a huge challenge... people expect hedgerows... people expect English architecture to be different... people notice the exact model of 0-4-4T used...

...and the map is big... to capture the battle (pre-invasion and post-invasion) the map is quite big.

So, I wish them luck. There will be complaints but... well... I've always appreciated the ambition with this team. Each map is a little bit better, new technologies, new scales... we do need to temper our expectations and be reasonable though!

Kuban is currently the gold standard for GB maps, fingers crossed they'll be able to outdue it with the Normandy map, if they do it right, it'll definitely be my main "go to" map. They've got to at least do a better job than that other sims Normandy map, that should be the bare minimum ...

I think the developers are aware that many people, including myself, were not happy with the quality of the Rhineland map. Moreover this time the map has to compete with the DCS Normandy map, that isn't perfect, but has some nice details I would like to see in BoN too.

This quote by Han from Dev diary 259 makes me optimistic that they will try to increase the map quality:

We’ve also had to build up technical capacity in the field of map production, which is necessary to implement everything planned for the Normandy landscape.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I didn't buy it explicitly for the map. The aircraft are the primary draw for me. You'll have to determine what matters most for you

Thats true, but if we ever get TC Normandy, any extra details on this map are very, very welcome.

Thats the problem of the shared maps for different modules.

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Nake350 said:

Contemplating pre-purchasing the Normandy map but very reluctant as I can't help but feel the quality of detail/ realism of the BOB seems much lower than previous maps in BOM, BOS which are especially stunning in Winter; The last map just seems so bland and basic.

That is exactly the reason why I did not pre-purchase BON: the more than disappointing generic and empty BOBP map.

I will wait untill BON is released and see what it has to offer. If usermade screenshots and videos look promising I buy it.

Otherwise it is a matter of waiting another 2 more years (2024?) for a new map to be released.

• Upvote 2

Normandy pre-buying; after doing that with Rheinland i was disappointed with the map, still am. Understand though that the workload for both the devs and my PC is too much.

But if it comes with a flyable C47 and some other type non fighter planes, plus Churchill Tanks and a player controlled (armed?) Willys i would be pre- buying for sure.

Don't expect too much from the Normandy map.  The Devs already said in the audio interview that the Bodenplatte map was knocking hard on the object limit and adding significantly more assets to it wasn't going to be practical for performance reasons.  The Normandy map will require two very distinct styles of objects to represent Britain and France convincingly, and the limited number of assets will need to be divided between them.

But the churches and cathedrals will again be lavish.   :happy:

• Haha 1

The development team are dammed if they do, dammed if they do not, we the player base I think expect too much from any project especially if it covers a area we are familiar with.;)

The Bodenplatte map is bland in some respects but just about adequate in the detail it does incorporate and those details are nicely done, however, the area is huge and could accommodate most aerial conflict throughout the war years from early to late, if the team had put in all the requested objects I fear most of us here would have our P.C. on it knees trying to load everything and provide decent playability.  Any map will always have to be a compromise, for me I prefer to have the airfields decorated with multiple objects as it tends to be the area we all have to spend  some time, however, even playing some campaigns where the authors have done this I notice quite a difference in the performance of my rig so maybe the map is as good as can be to give us all a certain performance level that is acceptable without needing a super computer.

Map building as we see tends to be a very long and involved part of each project so there has to be a balance as well as far as the team being able to deliver over a certain time scale and adding enough detail that makes things believable and playable.

What is needed I think are more objects to be available for the mission/campaign builders so that they can add that much more immersion to their scene rather than have all the detail incorporated into the map from the start, that way we could opt to play a very demanding object filled mission if the capacity was available to us.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am personally fed up with problems that might be. 
It is like, “crap I ran out of things to complain about” 

I agree! I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the Rheinland map also. I think it’s perfectly fine. Just flew along the Dutch coast again. Trust me, it’s spot on. Holland flat as a dime. As it should be. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I would rather have map done in year time and be playable and big in bobp standard then them trying to make some to detailed map that would be fps killer. They can always add more detail later if they have free time for it. If you live in BoM BoS map area you would probably think its not done right or some thing is missing or your city dosent look rights and so on... bobp map cover area most western players know better then east parts so more complains about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Jeronimo83 said:

I agree! I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the Rheinland map also.

Neither do I, but I give benefit to better judgement. I flown mostly high level with bomber there, and only been down close to airport and target, this is areas the map is beautiful. 
I trust there are areas with less quality, as people say. My point is, if you do not want to spend money on the unknown, don’t. 
But at least wait until it is out before giving it critique. Or making it a problem

I think I am referring more to quality and resolution of textures than objects as such. Take the details of coastline/ water edges, water graduation etc in Kuban and compare with Rheinland, also randomness/ details of feild textures are replaced with repeated almost tiled effect in Bob. There's a particular long thin stripey field gives this away. 

Snow in BOS, BoM has different textures and reflects low sun in different ways. 

Built up areas /towns look unconvincing in Bob compared to early maps and especially from a height/ distance. 

It's just my opinion, and personally I prefer quality than the size of map, so looking to spend. £70 - 80 on a module with planes already available in other much improving Sims/ games is not a no brainer this time. 

The high level of aliasing/ jaggies seen especially on horizons, post deferred shading is a different subject, but also something holding me back. 

I tied an MP game in Reinland recently and quit shortly after take off because it just looked so bad. 

Edited by Nake350
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Nake350 said:

spend. £70 - 80 on a module with planes already available in other much improving Sims/ games is not a no brainer this time. 

I do not mean to argue or starting anything. But my interest lies in:

ME 410, Typhoon, Mosquito, Arado. 
There is no place to get it elsewhere except old IL 2. 
You might be right about the textures, but is it right to start this before map release. It is kind of depressing , starting  , no being negative before it even start. 
There is no low low enough. 
Hi guys , I am out of complaints so I start on something we do not have. 

That said, I struggle flying DCS Syria after flying msfs in same area. I know the feeling, I do understand. But I just try to not make it a issue of concern, in a forum, before we seen anything

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

The team has mad constant efforts to improve all aspects of the series including the maps, nothing will ever ship in perfect a state, the time and resources do not allow it.;)

To my mind £70 on any module is excellent value, a map and eight aircraft at least, with in most cases a complete opportunity to play out historical events in that particular module without the need to pay for any kind of enhancements/add on packs, just because you feel the texture quality might not be quite what you expect is no reason to avoid purchasing B.O.N., like each module delivered so far it will not fulfill all our hopes right from the release, however, as already mentioned the team goes out of their way to listen to our complaints and improve things when they are able to.:drinks:

As far as aircraft go I only really want the Mosquito, that in itself is worth the money alone, but there will be all kinds of other good stuff as well including the new map with the ability to use other elements of the series on it.:cool:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Whilst not wanting to sound negative, I just wanted say as a keen supporter of the battle series and owner of all maps and allied collector planes released so far, that I hope quality of the BoB map is not going to become the new norm incase the devs do read this and see the quality of the earlier maps is very much appreciated so it can be considered whilst the BoN is in development. 

I have not purchased the Syria map from DCS, since the poor performance of the channel map.

I may be alone, but as a potential paying customer.. quality not quality or matters to me. I hope I've made my point and that BoN meets and even exceeds expectations.