New flyer and new to IL2 just tried VR... omg.

This could be the most amazing experience I have had in VR. Even better than DCS for immersion.

Tried to jump straight into MP for a quick look and went gunner in the back of a German plane.. (no idea what)..
Game started on landing pad with other aircraft taxing and taking off to my right and behind... I could of wept... goosebumps.
On the index at 200%SS it looks incredible... the ground textures and view distance are fantatsic and when we went up

and through the clouds... 🤪

Well the entry price of the index was well worth it, I can never go back to a flat screen in this game, not after that experience.
The aircrtaft had depth and scale, and your 'in' that world rather than watching it. The MG in front of me was large.. (difficult to aim up in vr)
but wow I am sold on VR and IL2.

As a new player would love some more experienced flyer to teach or guide me. Would like to learn and take part in coop missions bot authentic or fun.
Not sure how or where to tturn for that, nobody was speaking in game unless there is an SRS like in DCS?

Anyway thank you devs, its fantastic in VR with a HOTAS blew me away.. I hope you keep supporting the VR side.!!

ty.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 11

@Demon-Actual

SRS 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/147-srs-radio/

I don’t MP much and haven’t for a while since I sold my house and building one currently, so my IL2 is in limbo :biggrin: .

VR is definitely a game changer so welcome to the club! We have a great community here so I’m sure someone will pair up with you for some flight time and give you a helping hand. 

• Like 1

I wish I had such great VR experience like you guys. I have tried flying IL2 Great Battles with my VR (OCULUS the first model) with default settings and everything, including the aim sights and enemy planes, no matter their distance whether im on their tail or away - were very blurry and I could not flight, and could not even aim at the enemy and stopped playing VR after 30 minutes.

So I envy everyone else that have a great VR experience in this game with other VR devices.

I am not even sure if its because of my VR device or just lack of configuration and optimization for the first OCULUS models. (had to install Steam VR in order for IL2 Great Battles to "recognize" the device).

Edited by Zeev
2 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

The dedicated Bomber Sq. fly bomber missions on Fridays and Sundays from around 20:00 GMT. We love training up new pilots and you would be very welcome to fly along with us. Just join our Discord and let us know.

Videos

Screenshots

TY whats your discord?

11 minutes ago, Zeev said:

I wish I had such great VR experience like you guys. I have tried flying IL2 Great Battles with my VR (OCULUS the first model) with default settings and everything, including the aim sights and enemy planes, no matter their distance whether im on their tail or away - were very blurry and I could not flight, and could not even aim at the enemy and stopped playing VR after 30 minutes.

So I envy everyone else that have a great VR experience in this game with other VR devices.

I am not even sure if its because of my VR device or just lack of configuration and optimization for the first OCULUS models. (had to install Steam VR in order for IL2 Great Battles to "recognize" the device).

My friends has the cv1 is it? said resolution was terrible.. he tried my index and blown away.. says he is ordering one this weekend :) plus the reverb g2 is out even better clarity apprently.

This is the type of training i have started in DCS hope for something similar in il2 :)

17 minutes ago, Demon-Actual said:

TY whats your discord?

My friends has the cv1 is it? said resolution was terrible.. he tried my index and blown away.. says he is ordering one this weekend :) plus the reverb g2 is out even better clarity apprently.

This is the type of training i have started in DCS hope for something similar in il2 :)

I see, yeah, that what I was suspected. I blew tons of money on a first ever VR device and am regretting about it till this day. Hardly touched it.

Can you please provide more info about index? How much it costs?
I especially hated the high heat towards the eyes on the first VR models, have they "fixed" that? 

Edited by Zeev
On 9/12/2020 at 6:06 AM, Zeev said:

I went from the first model rift to the HP Reverb.  Night and day difference.  

The first gen VR headsets simply were the state of the technology at the time.  The state has advanced quite a bit since then.  I like the Reverb for its clarity at the sweet spot.  It feels like I really see - the stuff on the edges is not crisp but what you are focused on is.  Index I believe has a wider field of view, so there's that. 

@Demon-Actual - IL2 is the only thing that I use my VR headset for.  The implementation is mind blowing.  You really feel like you are in a cockpit.  

I would tell you that if you wanted to learn how to fly effectively, to check out the Air Combat Tutorial library on YouTube, as well as Sheriff’s Sim Shack. You can also have a look at a video I did for our own channel (Air Combat Group) for control setup. I’ll note the last one is now 2 years + old and not up to date with some changes that have been made in game. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheAirCombatTutorialLibrary

https://www.youtube.com/c/SheriffsSimShack

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirCombatGroup

https://youtu.be/OBG2-n9OhNA

10 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

BTW I tried to return to VR flying, but Zoom stopped working for me.

Is there a special VR-zoom binding ? And if so where is it ? Thanks

Yep 5 levels of zoom now you can assign to buttons.

As already stated under pilot head control category.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jshek said:

What VR sets are you guys using? Looking to getting into the VR world. Been playing IL2 since the original IL2 Sturmovik in 2001. 

Currently i own a Rift S, but the clarity is not enough to really enjoy flight sims in my opinion (many see it different). The first 20 or so hours i was just baffled by the immersion and loved doing simple stuff like dogfights against the AI or a bit of Berloga. But after a while in my case the limitations were too many - online my competitiveness went down by a huge margin and offline (e.g. Havoc over Kuban scripted campaign) i couldn't hit ground targets at all, because i just couldn't see them soon enough. In racing sims i didn't have any limitations, so that's where i spent my pc time the last couple of years.

But i am going to get the Reverb G2 and after all i read i am pretty sure this will revive my enjoyment for flight sims again, especially with the new spotting system shown by Jason. If you are planning to use VR only for flight sim / seated experience i would definitely go for the G2, because clarity is by far the most important aspect when flying.

3 hours ago, Jshek said:

What VR sets are you guys using? Looking to getting into the VR world. Been playing IL2 since the original IL2 Sturmovik in 2001. 

It pays to do a lot of research when getting into VR. For example:

I have a Pimax 5K+ which I have have modified because the original headstrap was totally f*cking useless and doesn't have speakers. I forked out 100€ for the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and have a friend with a 3D printer who made the adapters for it and now it a million times better.

HOWEVER. 

I also needed to put pieces of foam rubber between the facepad and headset about where my cheekbones are to move the headset away from my face a little because otherwise the edges of the lenses rest on the bridge of my nose otherwise which quickly becomes very uncomfortable. This solution really sucks but I can't think of anything better to do, I know people buy thicker facepads but the problem with that is the more you move the headset away from your face the more blurry the edges of the displays become so what then is the point of buying a wide FOV VR headset? 

I really think Pimax, being a Chinese company must have only tested their prototypes on Asians because given their facial structure I think 99% if Asian people would have not a problem but being a big nosed, recessed eyed Caucasian this headset is not ideal for me. 

Why am I writing all this? Because I wish I knew about it before buying a Pimax and maybe I would have had I really done deep research first. Had I known I would probably have got a Valve Index instead (I have the controllers and they are amazingly good). 

Don't get me wrong, the Pimax is still an amazing headset and works surprisingly well, I have very little to no software issues with it and if the lenses and headstrap were better designed it would probably be the perfect HMD for me. And maybe the newer gen stuff will have these issues addressed (the strap definitely has). 

Anyway sorry for the novel, hope it helps somebody a little. 😅

• Upvote 1

I have a Rift S and it works well enough. The resolution and clarity is certainly good enough for me to find ground targets and dogfight. Some of the other devices appear to have better resolution now, so if I was going to get a new headset, I would probably go with one of the others mentioned above. 

Using opencomposite interface software instead of steamVR helped a lot with stability.

There is no way for me to go back to flying on a flat screen. I only do that when I need to take good screen shots or read text carefully. Everything from depth perception to deflection shooting and even landing is so much more natural in VR.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Soilworker said:

It pays to do a lot of research when getting into VR. For example:

I have a Pimax 5K+ which I have have modified because the original headstrap was totally f*cking useless and doesn't have speakers. I forked out 100€ for the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and have a friend with a 3D printer who made the adapters for it and now it a million times better.

HOWEVER. 

I also needed to put pieces of foam rubber between the facepad and headset about where my cheekbones are to move the headset away from my face a little because otherwise the edges of the lenses rest on the bridge of my nose otherwise which quickly becomes very uncomfortable. This solution really sucks but I can't think of anything better to do, I know people buy thicker facepads but the problem with that is the more you move the headset away from your face the more blurry the edges of the displays become so what then is the point of buying a wide FOV VR headset? 

I really think Pimax, being a Chinese company must have only tested their prototypes on Asians because given their facial structure I think 99% if Asian people would have not a problem but being a big nosed, recessed eyed Caucasian this headset is not ideal for me. 

Why am I writing all this? Because I wish I knew about it before buying a Pimax and maybe I would have had I really done deep research first. Had I known I would probably have got a Valve Index instead (I have the controllers and they are amazingly good). 

Don't get me wrong, the Pimax is still an amazing headset and works surprisingly well, I have very little to no software issues with it and if the lenses and headstrap were better designed it would probably be the perfect HMD for me. And maybe the newer gen stuff will have these issues addressed (the strap definitely has). 

Anyway sorry for the novel, hope it helps somebody a little. 😅

I was looking very closely at the Pimax 5K+ to be honest. Seemed to have the best clarity and resolution. 

Your recommending a valve index? 

Thanks for the responses guys. 

37 minutes ago, Jshek said:

I was looking very closely at the Pimax 5K+ to be honest. Seemed to have the best clarity and resolution. 

Not exactly, but I think it would have fit me better than the Pimax. 

If you do go for the Pimax make sure you enter the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap plus adapters into your calculation, without that it's really annoying. BUT if you have a small head it might well not fit, I had a girl visit a couple of months back and she had to put a beanie on and even then it didn't fit well. 

I have the Index. Other wise would go for the reverb g2 it has the best long distance clarity. But for comfort and audio. .. Index all day long, AND you get Alyx for free.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

I went from the first model rift to the HP Reverb.  Night and day difference.  

The first gen VR headsets simply were the state of the technology at the time.  The state has advanced quite a bit since then.  I like the Reverb for its clarity at the sweet spot.  It feels like I really see - the stuff on the edges is not crisp but what you are focused on is.  Index I believe has a wider field of view, so there's that. 

@Demon-Actual - IL2 is the only thing that I use my VR headset for.  The implementation is mind blowing.  You really feel like you are in a cockpit.  

I sue it for ETS2 and DCS.

6 hours ago, Jshek said:

unfortunately, Pimax with wide FOV isn't for every. I've learned it personally with 5K and 8KX. The wide lens arrangement on these units is designed for people with quite wide IPD, thus for me it was impossible to find a sweet spot and it felt like my eyes were going in different direction, etc.  I wouldn't recommend going to Pimax unless you get to try and test drive someone else's device to verify the physical and ergonomic characteristics.

I also have tried Odyssey+  and ergonomically it wasn't for my face, it felt like I was watching a 3d movie instead of being "in it".

However, I've had Rift Civ1 and Index, and still have Rift S, and VivePro.  All 4 of these units fit me perfectly and provided the proper virtual reality experience (with caveats):

• Rift CIV1  -- first gen. I spent a year flying Il2 with it, and it was awesome for that time. Compare to all other units it has the lowest resolution and now it's an obsolete experience
  • Rift S -- ergonomic, fits perfectly. The resolution is better than CIV1 but still lacks clarity (personal opinion)
  • Index:
    • excellent ergonomics department
    • Great resolution
    • tons of lens flare/god rays
    • LCD displays, poor black colors
  • VivePro
    • Great resolution
    • tons of flare/god rays with original lenses. However, you can do a lens swap using GearVR lenses
    • zero flare/god rays with GearVR lenses. In this configuration it's the best HMD in regards to picture clarity
    • has OLED displays. Perfect inky black colors and the best color contrast out of all HMD's.

What does it all mean? :)  Well.. it's a buy/try/sell/buy/try/sell/buy/try/keep kind of a 'hobby' 😄

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Didney_World said:

unfortunately, Pimax with wide FOV isn't for every. I've learned it personally with 5K and 8KX. The wide lens arrangement on these units is designed for people with quite wide IPD, thus for me it was impossible to find a sweet spot and it felt like my eyes were going in different direction, etc.  I wouldn't recommend going to Pimax unless you get to try and test drive someone else's device to verify the physical and ergonomic characteristics.

I also have tried Odyssey+  and ergonomically it wasn't for my face, it felt like I was watching a 3d movie instead of being "in it".

However, I've had Rift Civ1 and Index, and still have Rift S, and VivePro.  All 4 of these units fit me perfectly and provided the proper virtual reality experience (with caveats):

• Rift CIV1  -- first gen. I spent a year flying Il2 with it, and it was awesome for that time. Compare to all other units it has the lowest resolution and now it's an obsolete experience
  • Rift S -- ergonomic, fits perfectly. The resolution is better than CIV1 but still lacks clarity (personal opinion)
  • Index:
    • Great resolution
    • tons of lens flare/god rays
    • LCD displays, poor black colors
  • VivePro
    • Great resolution
    • tons of flare/god rays with original lenses. However, you can do a lens swap using GearVR lenses
    • zero flare/god rays with GearVR lenses. In this configuration it's the best HMD in regards to picture clarity
    • has OLED displays. Perfect inky black colors and the best color contrast out of all HMD's.

What does it all mean? :)  Well.. it's a buy/try/sell/buy/try/sell/buy/try/keep kind of a 'hobby' 😄

That was an interesting run down. I just wish the Reverb was in the mix.

28 minutes ago, YTDemon-Actual said:

This has been fixed by valve with software updates.

that's good to hear. Personally, I got the short end of stick with my Index. It was an early pre-order so I was one of the first 100 people to receive it. The fit was excellent, as I mentioned above, and I was ok to live with the god rays and the gray blacks, but the unit itself had a problem with the screens (there were some weird vertical old CRT monitor like scanning lines during the HMD movements). Valve later admitted the problem and I RMA'ed the unit for a full refund. And by that time I already had my VivePro with the gearVR lens mod, which gave me the clearest picture/black colors. And the god rays/flare on Index was very distracting when I tested it...

6 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

That was an interesting run down. I just wish the Reverb was in the mix.

I got the Reverb G2 on pre-order 😄 .. so it's definitely coming sometime this Fall and it will be tested I assure you...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, YTDemon-Actual said:

I have the Index. Other wise would go for the reverb g2 it has the best long distance clarity. But for comfort and audio. .. Index all day long, AND you get Alyx for free.

I sue it for ETS2 and DCS.

Alyx is awesome but you get it free if you just get the controllers (at least I did). 

Also anyone else think Reverb is a stupid name for a VR headset? (Especially if you're a musician.) 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, Soilworker said:

Alyx is awesome but you get it free if you just get the controllers (at least I did). 

Also anyone else think Reverb is a stupid name for a VR headset? (Especially if you're a musician.) 

Ha ha, yes! In that sence, I use a Reverbs since 40 years. Even analog ones....
For VR I use the HTC Cosmos. Very comfordable, good sound and perfect resolution for a midrange systemx (AMD 5700XT). A bit priecy though.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, Soilworker said:

Bite your tongue with such heresy!  As a surf musician, and proud owner of a vintage 1965 Fender 6G15 that I've lovingly maintained since the early 80's and still play through, I think it's an awesomely cool name... one might even say it's gnarly!! :dance: (and it greatly simplified made my choice of which headset to buy)

DSCN0983.jpg

Rita Mae and Da Prince.jpg

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Bite your tongue with such heresy!  As a surf musician, and proud owner of a vintage 1965 Fender 6G15 that I've lovingly maintained since the early 80's and still play through, I think it's an awesomely cool name... one might even say it's gnarly!! :dance: (and it greatly simplified made my choice of which headset to buy)

Ha ha, I think it's a great name for amps/pedals with reverb, sure! But a VR headset? What part of it reverberates? 😂

I don't have such a sweet amp (very nice BTW) but I've got a couple of great pedals on my pedalboard, a Chase Bliss Dark World Reverb and a Strymon Volante magnetic echo machine with built in spring reverb. All digital of course but still very sweet. Back home in New Zealand I have a Marshall DSL100 with a real spring tank however. Oh and I have a digitech Polara on my synth pedalboard. 😁

5 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Ha ha, I think it's a great name for amps/pedals with reverb, sure! But a VR headset? What part of it reverberates? 😂

I don't have such a sweet amp (very nice BTW) but I've got a couple of great pedals on my pedalboard, a Chase Bliss Dark World Reverb and a Strymon Volante magnetic echo machine with built in spring reverb. All digital of course but still very sweet. Back home in New Zealand I have a Marshall DSL100 with a real spring tank however. Oh and I have a digitech Polara on my synth pedalboard. 😁

Impressive! The Strymon Volante alone is an impressive piece of gear IMO. 👍

13 hours ago, Stoopy said:

DSCN0983.jpg

Rita Mae and Da Prince.jpg

I would venture to say that "tubular" may also be an appropriate adjective here.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I would venture to say that "tubular" may also be an appropriate adjective here.

!!  :lol:

In more ways than one!  Nothing beats the soft glow of 6L6 and 12AX7's.  That setup also doubles as an effective heater during the winter!

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Stoopy said:

!!  :lol:

In more ways than one!  Nothing beats the soft glow of 6L6 and 12AX7's.  That setup also doubles as an effective heater during the winter!

It's only 'waste heat' if you waste it! 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Impressive! The Strymon Volante alone is an impressive piece of gear IMO. 👍

love the Volante, it's easily my favourite pedal and I have a lot of pedals (including the Timeline too! 😅). 

Just out of curiosity- am i the only one who had to quit VR because of motion sickness? That was using the first Rift CV...

Saddening, cause i can' t really enjoy 2d since.

And yes, i tried to accustom myself slowly-no success, just suffering for days after 10mins of use.

Cheers

• Sad 2
On 9/18/2020 at 2:53 AM, Soilworker said:

Not to keep going OT but It finally hit me why Reverb is a great name for a VR headset, and as a musician it should make sense to you:  Just as the original intent of the reverb audio effect is to add a feeling of sonic "depth" by emulating a surrounding large enclosed space such as a concert hall, bathroom or airplane hangar (depending on the dwell setting etc.), the VR equivalent's intent is to provide a feeling of visual depth by emulating being within a surrounding visual space.  So it's not so much about the mechanics (reverberation) but the net effect (simulation of a surrounding area). Perhaps ironically, it makes sense of the person who came up with the name was a musician, or audiophile at least!

That's my theory and I'm stickin' with it!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 6high said:

Just out of curiosity- am i the only one who had to quit VR because of motion sickness? That was using the first Rift CV...

Saddening, cause i can' t really enjoy 2d since.

And yes, i tried to accustom myself slowly-no success, just suffering for days after 10mins of use.

Cheers

I never had it myself except when in the beginning I taxied the plane. But they say you must stop at the moment before getting sick. Then take a break. 
it is just your brain fixation on movement your not doing that need to be learned. 
Also make sure you have setting set to low. No stutter and low fps, that is the worst. 
I suggest you train yourself with airstart high up and take it from there. 
I gave my Rift S away myself. Flying cod and fs 2020 I really do not miss it. 
I will purchase a VR when they get more comfortable or Better and cheaper next year. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte