jollyjack

Train request for Rheinland

A historical train, 1902 already, hope Wuppertal is on the map ... nice town BTW.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

That is a very impressive system, I like it, massive amount of steel required though for its construction.:cool:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

7 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Nice. Comparison with modern times: 

Holy f does that look f'd up today. 

German efficiency there, it now runs quicker :)

Interesting comparison between the old & modern times to see how things have changed.

Reading on Wkipedia, under incidents, WW2 not mentioned. Did is survive intact?

Edited by fergal69

I thought it was interesting how many of the old buildings are still there.  I'm not sure about better or worse.  Some of the scenery from 1902 looked very dirty and grim.  Some of the modern buildings look cheap and generic.  And some of it looks good.  I think the parts that look best are the older parts that have been cleaned up and the newer ones built in the older style, but that's just my opinion.

I used to live near Lowell Massachusetts - old mill town.  They have taken many of the old brick mills and turned them into something else.  They look great.  100 years ago they were dirty old industrial buildings, but they were still built with a certain personality that IMHO too many modern buildings lack.  Clean them up and they look much better than the newer construction.

As far as infrastructure goes, it's an eye-sore but innovative for its time, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, fergal69 said:

Reading on Wkipedia, under incidents, WW2 not mentioned. Did is survive intact?

After the Germans invited the RAF to care for the urban infrastructure there was not much left in 1945 - some impressions from Wuppertal after the attacks in 1943:

Wuppertal in ruins

Wuppertal was among the most heavily destroyed cities. Since public transport was important in that narrow valley the "hanging railroad" was repaired Easter 1946.

Schwebebahn 1946

(What was left later fell victim to the "urban development programs" during the 1960s and 1970s - a second bombing of the cityscape for many German towns)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I used to live near Lowell Massachusetts - old mill town.  They have taken many of the old brick mills and turned them into something else.  They look great.  100 years ago they were dirty old industrial buildings, but they were still built with a certain personality that IMHO too many modern buildings lack.  Clean them up and they look much better than the newer construction.

As musician i traveled a lot in Germany in the 80-ies and the following 30 years. The surviving old buildings to me seemed quality built, and the ones renovated, even modernized always were very nicely upgraded, most of the times still showing stylistic remains of their past.

I think we need some Allied Non-Russian trains for the Rhineland map before adding that.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:04 AM, Enceladus said:

I think we need some Allied Non-Russian trains for the Rhineland map before adding that.

I assume that the Belgian and Dutch trains were not much different from the German ones. Therefore I use German trains as Allied ones on the Rhineland map. Perhaps the British and Americans have transported their locomotives, wagons and platforms to the continent, but I'm not sure if we will do them.

thnx. Still i feel that if the railways in IL2 are upped somehow, it will draw a new audience.

I bought TC out of support i thought, but i enjoy it especially with the 'better' maps like Vluki summer. Driving through a detailed landscape you'll never notice from a plane.

Maybe with an FC or Uv2s plane at tree level and half speed LoL. Would love to see a player controlled Willys in TC !

On 9/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, BlackSix said:

I assume that the Belgian and Dutch trains were not much different from the German ones. Therefore I use German trains as Allied ones on the Rhineland map. Perhaps the British and Americans have transported their locomotives, wagons and platforms to the continent, but I'm not sure if we will do them.

For the locomotives in the western occupied countries it's not completely wrong to use German ones - they mixed it to a certain degree. Sometimes the local railways had locomotives delivered from Germany as a reparation after WW1, too.

In 1944 the railway-system in France was bombed into ruins:
The "Transport Plan"

Soon after D-day the Allies sent in locomotives and wagons, almost exclusively of US-origin. Impressions:
The-trains-that-fueled-the-normandy-breakout
American_logistics_in_the_Normandy_campaign

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 12:04 AM, Enceladus said:

Actually we don't even have an ww2 german loco since the current train we have is the DB Class 55 (Prussian G.8.1), while the Class 55 was used in ww2 it didn't had the DB Logo which is from the Deutsche Bundesbahn which company existed from 1949 till the end of 1993, it should be the logo from the Deutsche Reichsbahn for ww2.

This issue had been reported before but it never got fixed and considering you never hear the community complaining about it (same you never hear the community complaining about  Dunkelgrau livery still being used in 1943-1945 which wasn't applied anymore since early 1943, even though we still get campaigns released still using Dunkelgrau in 1944-1945) I suspect it's never going to be fixed, maybe they adress this during the Normandy devenlopment but I am afraid it won't be the case.

It has been a HUGE organisation - if you want to dig deeper into it:

https://transportation.army.mil/historian/ocot%20monographs.htm

The last four links offer a lot to read ...

More easy to digest:

American Railway Operation Battalions in ETO During World War II

Just a hint because it's an often overseen topic - but of enormous importance for the Eastern War, too:

Off The Rails: The Forgotten Bastards of Iran

Looking at the first picture oft that article the details of that locomotive point on a German construction, too.

Edited by Retnek

6 hours ago, ww2fighter20 said:

Actually we don't even have an ww2 german loco since the current train we have is the DB Class 55 (Prussian G.8.1), while the Class 55 was used in ww2 it didn't had the DB Logo which is from the Deutsche Bundesbahn which company existed from 1949 till the end of 1993, it should be the logo from the Deutsche Reichsbahn for ww2.

That's because the train objects we have are the original ones created for Rise of Flight. Since G8s were still in use during WWII, there's really not ever been a lot of urgency to create new locomotives or rail cars. Hopefully that'll change at some point - as a lifelong fan of trains, I'd sure like to see some more variety in what we see moving on the tracks. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That's because the train objects we have are the original ones created for Rise of Flight. Since G8s were still in use during WWII, there's really not ever been a lot of urgency to create new locomotives or rail cars. Hopefully that'll change at some point - as a lifelong fan of trains, I'd sure like to see some more variety in what we see moving on the tracks. 

I hope we get at least one British locomotive...need for scenery.

I'm a rail fan too. No time to do the model train thing...but I would in theory.

My dad does the live steam stuff.

• Upvote 1

Another thing missing is much longer trains. The transport trains were usually much longer than they are in career missions. In PWCG we were sometime ago able to customize the trains we encounter and even with the train wagons constantly repeating, a 30 wagon train looks much more realistic, than what we currently have.

• Upvote 2

On 9/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, Yogiflight said:

Another thing missing is much longer trains ... a 30 wagon train looks much more realistic, than what we currently have.

Hear-hear! The trains to supply the front-lines had 50 wagons easily. I've tried it years ago - no way to produce a mission showing a train with more than up to 10 wagons. Sadly this topic seems very difficult to solve, for whatever reason.