Black Cross Red Star Vol 1

adler_1

hello

i wanted to order this volume before reading the next ones volume 2  to 5 and i cannot understand why its so expensive ??!! can anyone lead me to where i can get it at normal prices . thanks 

12 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

hello

i wanted to order this volume before reading the next ones volume 2  to 5 and i cannot understand why its so expensive ??!! can anyone lead me to where i can get it at normal prices . thanks 

I guess it is out of print. They are great books, no wonder they are expensive. But AFAIK Christer is planning to make a new editions of Vol I - III.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

hello

There are expensive because there there are not much customers out there bying books like that. 

2 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

but the difference between volume 1 and the rest is up to 10 times  !!! why ?

Here in germany price for all books is the same. Maybe Vol. 1 is short on stock ;)

20 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

so its a question of hunting for a second hand . found this article of interest

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/bc-rs/

Unless you want it as a collector's item (first edition), don't. Christer now owns the rights and is publishing them himself, an updated second edition of Vol. I will be coming out soon.

Anyway, I think this is in the wrong section. Check the History section, there's a thread dedicated to the series.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adler_1 said:

Burdovka

i just sent an email directly to him requesting all information and direct purchase update .

There is no due date for the updated BCRS books 1-3.

I have all of the books and 4 and 5 are (in my opinion) superior to books 1 -3 in terms of content, photos, data and readability.  I expect the updated 1 to 3 to be much more detailed than the originals and I'll be getting all of them to replace the ones I already have.  

My suggestion is that unless there is a burning need, that you wait for the updated versions and then buy them all direct.  Get on Mr Bergstrom's mailing list and you'll get updates as and when crowdfunding starts.

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom
typos

VON TOM

I sent him already 2 emails today , i'll wait for response and request the mailing list link . I noted your comments and i'll make sure i get the latest in hard copy form with the color prints . thanks advice .

8 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

There are expensive because there there are not much customers out there bying books like that. 

That's not how it works.

Gambit 21

you are right , it seems they are under funded and are starting a crowd fund soon for a reprint and update of the hard cover for all 4 editions . i am joining and have made contact .  

Edited by adler_1

Book 1 is expensive because it appears to have the least printed and it is the rarest.  If you want a copy you have to pay a lot.   You will see that all of the prices are for used copies.

Wait for the updated version.

von Tom

If you want to purchase vol 1 in the UK, brand new will cost you £395... second hand will cost you £247.

Years ago I was lucky to have a vol 1 gifted to me by someone who didn't want it... I was very fortunate.

Retnek

Hello

Thank you for the link , i am going to send an email pre ordering the new version when ready . Yesterday i ordered from the UK the volume 4 hard copy , price was reasonable including postage to thailand about 45 usd . 

Edited by adler_1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Even the new forthcoming version is overpriced in my book

Try to make a book in this binding quality for less in these numbers and see what sales price you get.

9 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Try to make a book in this binding quality for less in these numbers and see what sales price you get.

Well there are several decisions happening there, and his prerogative of course.

Good on him, hope he does well.

I just can’t do it. ;)

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Well there are several decisions happening there, and his prerogative of course.

Telling from my experiences in publishing books and from the prices I got there, I don‘t think that the cost is on the high side of what can be with such runs. But indeed, whether that is within ones willingness to spend, that is a different topic. As much as it is an important topic.

I‘m just thinking... if he went „Osprey“, the books most likely could be more affordable. But in order to achive this, I wouldn‘t see both content and print/binding on that level.

16 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Telling from my experiences in publishing books and from the prices I got there, I don‘t think that the cost is on the high side of what can be with such runs. But indeed, whether that is within ones willingness to spend, that is a different topic. As much as it is an important topic.

I‘m just thinking... if he went „Osprey“, the books most likely could be more affordable. But in order to achive this, I wouldn‘t see both content and print/binding on that level.

There’s a lot to be said for a quality book - especially nowadays. I’m a bit (or a lot) of a luddite when it comes to this. I want my book to be a BOOK. Small run plus quality color plates, it’s going to cost I’m sure. Just too rich for my blood unfortunately.

Too much other crap on my “need to buy” list. Otherwise I’d purchase just to support his efforts even though my interest in this front is minimal. :)

Enough to read a really good book in some cases though (enjoyed Liepfert’s book)

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

It is usually sold on Amazon for 40-50 EUR, so no big deal. Compared to Vol.1-3 his selfpublished Vol.4 and 5 are way better, both in book quality, quantity of content and quality of research. So buying the new editions from vaktel verlag is a no brainer. I´m looking forward to his next one "Stalingrad revised" due end of this year.

i ordered book 4 from the UK and the price including postage to Thailand was approx 45 USD hardback . Thats more than reasonable . I also received very nice emails from the writer giving me various options , i will order the revised Volume 1 hardback at 60 USD plus postage 24 usd  delivery next year. Gave me the links for the rest of the series as well . These are pro books not osprey short stories . 

I would love to buy the revised edition of Volume 1, but considering I just bought Volume 4 and still need to buy Volume 5, and I still need to read his series of Eastern Front books from The Air Battles series (which are excellent books in their own right and very similar in quality to Black Cross / Red Star), I'm going to hold off on buying the revised Volume 1 for now. Thankfully, back in the day, I was able to snag a copy of the original Volume 1 in new condition before the prices went crazy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got all his air battle series, plus all the Black Cross Red Star volumes less vol 5... (will probably get that next month as it will be my birthday present to me, lol!)

56 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I've got all his air battle series, plus all the Black Cross Red Star volumes less vol 5... (will probably get that next month as it will be my birthday present to me, lol!)

Since Stalingrad of the Air battles series is the only one I don´t have (the other 3 are great), what do you say is the difference between Black Cross Red Star Vol.3 and 4 combined and the Airbattles book? Do Vol. 3 and 4 make the air battle book about Stalingrad redundant and superfluous or does it have any content which is not already handled in Vol.3 and Vol.4?

They are very interesting reads! I have 2 of the 4 but will eventually pick up the full collection. I really miss Paul Lowengrin's DCG, which was the reason I started buying WWII history books back in the early 90's - to make historic campaigns.

40 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

I really miss Paul Lowengrin's DCG, which was the reason I started buying WWII history books back in the early 90's - to make historic campaigns.

Among others, his DCG is one of the reasons I still play IL2-1946.

Here: https://forum.jg1.org/topic/6757-dcg-350-open-beta/page/2/#comments

Edited by sevenless

On 9/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, LukeFF said:

I would love to buy the revised edition of Volume 1,

I met Christer recently and I was of course talking with him about this series of books as well. It is indeed his plan to publish all eight books of the series in an updated fashion, consistent in quality with Vol 4 & 5. Especially Vol.2 was hampered by an editor that.. well.. could have been better at what he did. This is why I would definitely not invest in used Volumes 1 - 3, as especially early editions are not the print quality that they should have had.

In between, his book about the Battel off Stalingrad will be published. This as continuation of "Operation Barbarossa 1941".

Christer.. maker of grand photobooks...  When I met him, I was lucky to get an edition of "Graf & Grislawski", probably his most personal book. An updated version is only available in German, but it lets you follow the life (beyond just their exploits withe the Luftwaffe) in details an pictures. It is very much flicking through their personal photo collection. Amazing books.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1

You know... The old IL2 combat sim should have been titled "Black Cross Red Star". Oleg liked the idea. It was though that thise books were to be published alongside the developpment of the sim. It was due to an editor (mentioned above) that the sim series had to have an alternative title. "IL2" was the runner up.

Edited by ZachariasX