Hello, why do I have to dogfight with B25 bombers?

They chase like fighters, turn like fighters, and keep fighting like fighters even when damaged, which also irks me!

I suspect I may be posting this in the wrong place but as I will never use anything but PWCG, I was wondering whether anyone else has had this silly experience?

Can anything be done in set up to help stop it? AI in this game is a real shame and if it was not for the variety and flexibility of PWCG I do not think I would bother.

Must add, I know AI problems lie in the basic game, but as I mentioned, I don't play that.

Thank you.

Known issue.  I am working on something now that might help, but it is a very high risk, deep change to the way that missions are generated.  Going to be awhile until I can make something available.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry, had know it was a known issue I would not have bothered you.

I will take this as an opportunity to thank you for all the work you have done and are still doing.

PWCG keeps me playing!

Edited by hebog5
  • Upvote 1

NP.  I would rather hear about something that is known than not hear about an unknown problem, so keep posting.

I had always put this down to AI and I still do, but within the limited scope of my ability to influence AI I am working on a rewrite of how AI flights are generated.  I know the mechanics will work but there is a very high risk of taking a performance hit that makes the missions unplayable.  I won't know until after I am done coding it and testing in game.  If it works then PWCG AI planes will no longer use the spawn mechanism which prevents things like formations and cover being used.

My hope is that once the AI planes are told to fly in formation they will be less inclined to go berserk.  I still blame the AI because, regardless of whether I tell them to fly in formation or not, the AI should NEVER fly a B25 like that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hebog5 said:

Hello, why do I have to dogfight with B25 bombers?

They chase like fighters, turn like fighters, and keep fighting like fighters even when damaged, which also irks me!

The A-20s are even "better" fighters than the B-25s.  While I certainly agree it does break the immersion, it has given me fun gunnery and vertical fighting practice - especially when flying the 262 on a fast approach.  So, while I hope Pat can find a miracle fix, I just view this as a 1/2 full situation and share those kills with my wingmen.

20 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

within the limited scope of my ability to influence AI I am working on a rewrite of how AI flights are generated. 

As always, thank you for everything you do for this community!  :salute:

Woops, done it again!

Should have said A 20 of course.

So glad you humoured me. It's now obvious why I have not tried multiplayer. Can't recognise aircraft!

15 minutes ago, hebog5 said:

So glad you humoured me. It's now obvious why I have not tried multiplayer. Can't recognise aircraft!

Maybe not...the B-25s (and all the bombers) will engage in this behavior at times.  In my experience, the A-20s just excel at it!

Had this happen to me when I encountered a squad of uber Pe-2's

They'd be 2k below me and go vertical right past me lol

IRL Il-2 and Pe-2 should sometimes be aggressive... and the He-111 was used as a very successful night fighter... but it shouldn't be the default.

57 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

IRL Il-2 and Pe-2 should sometimes be aggressive... and the He-111 was used as a very successful night fighter... but it shouldn't be the default.

But they shouldn't perform like a Yak 9 

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

IRL Il-2 and Pe-2 should sometimes be aggressive.

TBH the IL-2s are a bit passive currently. I remember, earlier, they quite often were shooting at me, when I was overshooting them. I never experienced that lately.

I posted a screenshot in here not too long ago of a bunch of Ju-88s that followed me all the way to base trying to shoot me down...