All metal Hurricane skin request

Blitzen

Way back in the beginning of CloD there were several non-standard Hurricane skins available. If memory serves one was an all blue post war racing(?) skin & the other was an all red weather (?) skin version.There may have been one or two others but I never saw an all metal skin of any pre-production models.Last week I received a copy of Hawker Hurricane Mk1 a Wingleader Photo Archive Number Three compiled & written by Mark Postlewaite .On page 12 this beauty is pictured an ex-56 SquadronL1606 kite purchased back from the Air Ministry and used by Hawker for "trials"during the war.I'm not sure how or if  metal skins work well with Clod and DWT jpg's,in GB they are absolutely stunning.In any case I thought perhaps one of the excellent skinners here might like to try to give this one a go.It would be lovely to go swanning about the 1940 English countryside in this "flash" Hurri!

metal hurri.jpg

47 minutes ago, E69_julian57 said:

That metallic effect, in the CLOD I think it will be difficult to achieve :scratch_one-s_head:     

I sort of thought so...but someone might try? Maybe when the upcoming Hurricane shows up in Great Battles someone will have a 'Go"?

maxresdefault (1).jpg

For some strange reason Blitzen IL-2 Blitz/CLoD does not reproduce metallic effects very well sadly, in other games you can use Blues and Greys to varying effect to replicate shinny metal, or any king of metal for that matter but for this particular game things always look Grey.;)

I made a Finnish Anson a very long time ago but the cowlings never quite looked right as they should have been polished metal, others have also tried to make various metal schemes as well.

Maybe Team Fusion could look into why that is and put it right, that Hurricane would make a great skin and look particularly nice, I usually fly the Blue one as a alternate if just mooching around the map sightseeing.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

On 9/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, E69_julian57 said:

That metallic effect, in the CLOD I think it will be difficult to achieve :scratch_one-s_head:     

This was from the development of CloD.....so it was certainly planned or available somewhere in there?

x03-1.thumb.jpg.310aad958ffcd1d32f42421ff6c981c2.jpg

x02-1.thumb.jpg.ebca8b8ba8f45406d35d56a8eeffad4d.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

This was from the development of CloD.....so it was certainly planned or available somewhere in there?

x03-1.thumb.jpg.310aad958ffcd1d32f42421ff6c981c2.jpg

x02-1.thumb.jpg.ebca8b8ba8f45406d35d56a8eeffad4d.jpg

I remember those from quite a ways back!

• Like 1

Nice find Mysticpuma, not being able to fully replicate metal in this game is a real pain for skin makers, even though it could be argued it was not entirely necessary for the period there were a few instances of aircraft serving at the time using aluminium doped surfaces along with polished metal cowlings, Tiger Moth, Walrus come readily to mind and of course for a later period the Hurricane requested by Blitzen.;)

Question is were those first two images of yours intended for metal effects or lighting in general, there are most likely so many things lost from the original development effort that are now unlikely to ever have any complete or accurate answers, and sadly many things are buried in the memories of those involved with only they knowing fully how best to exploit the full potential of what for its time was ground breaking work.:drinks:

Let us hope the team sort this particular issue out, for me the in game lighting and skins produced make for some amazing aircraft textures.:cool:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to TFS team member Danperin the metal skin look can't at the moment be achieved without losing all other surface detail such as panel lines, rivets, etc. 

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

BoX uses Alpha layers to define the the shiny-ness, they are editable so you can have a very polished cowl and the remainder of the plane in a dull matt finish

CloD jpg wont be able to do that. What you are seeing in the screens are lighting effects. At one point I do remember the lighting and overall effect was very shiny and people complained it was over done

5 hours ago, J2_SteveF said:

BoX uses Alpha layers to define the the shiny-ness, they are editable so you can have a very polished cowl and the remainder of the plane in a dull matt finish

CloD jpg wont be able to do that. What you are seeing in the screens are lighting effects. At one point I do remember the lighting and overall effect was very shiny and people complained it was over done

Well I’d still like to see a skin of the Hurricane shown it the first post. I could use it to "swan" around the English/French countryside when we get the new D-Day map!

Interestingly enough the all metal skins we have in GB can’t be duplicated over at CloD DWT because of the limits it the program they use to render skins.

BB4C86AC-059C-4E62-AC24-6452A51FB50D.jpeg

Edited by Blitzen
Added photo

The all-important problem with an all-metal skin, as I see it, is that the back half of the fuselage is wood and Irish linen, same as the control surfaces.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Blitzen said:

So still no takers then?😔

At the moment we cannot have shiny metallic skins, mate 😔

The problem is the weathering system and the way the main texture maps works. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, danperin said:

At the moment we cannot have shiny metallic skins, mate 😔

The problem is the weathering system and the way the main texture maps works. 

This is the main issue.

Is the rear part painted with silver paint?

Edited by zzzxxxxzzz

2 hours ago, danperin said:

"Is the rear part painted with silver paint?"

Don't get it, mate. What do you mean?

What color is the real plane (Hurricane G-AFKX)? (apart from the front being polished metal)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zzzxxxxzzz said:

What color is the real plane (Hurricane G-AFKX)? (apart from the front being polished metal)

Oh, sorry. Blitzen already answered. 😉