Sign in to follow this  
Geoweb35

IL-2 Tank Crew M4 Sherman - Inside a tank on the battlefield

Great video Geoweb35. Just a quick question, I notice that you are able to get the commander and his visor to move smoothly together a lot of the time, how do you do that?

It is one of the things with the Sherman that I think could be modeled a little better.

It would be nice if it worked like the gunner's gun sight, where you would nestle up to the visor and control the direction of your view with the mouse. At the moment it seems a little unnatural the way it its modeled. Having separate controls to vertically adjust the visor is a good thing that adds realism, but moving the commander with his visor using two separate controls is not natural.

Also I hope the devs are able to correct the bug that occurs when you use binoculars after you take control of the 50 CAL. And when viewed from F2, the commander looks a little too far forward, and too low. In F1, the commanders view is looking slightly down on the sights of the 50 CAL. In F2, his head is well below the top surface of the gun.

SnapShot.jpg

SnapShot(0).jpg

@LachenKrieg Hi, i'm using this keys for Tank Crew, i use for visor control Home/End  Delete/PageDown and Insert, i use my left hand (when tank is not moving) and right hand ( when tank is moving) to control the visor with keys and the view with my mouse.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Geoweb35
  • Upvote 1

Geoweb35, thanks for sharing your setup. When I use the keys mapped for visor horizontal adjustment, the visor moves but the commander's view stays stationary.  I have to move the visor, then use the mouse to align the Commander's view with the visor again. In your video, it looks at times that the Commander's view and the visor move in unison. How do you do that, because it seems that I am doing something wrong.

That's how it's done in a Sherman. To make it work like it should, you will have to bind mouse axis with left/right mouse button. Try that.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Goosevich said:

That's how it's done in a Sherman. To make it work like it should, you will have to bind mouse axis with left/right mouse button. Try that.

Hey Goose, I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a way to set it up so that you can control your field of view and horizontal adjustment of the visor at the same time? 

Thanks

On 9/14/2020 at 2:47 AM, Goosevich said:

Well if you are just being a DK-head, then I get it. But that was my point Goose, the way it is currently modeled is completely unrealistic. If you think its at all natural, then I would hate to see you try driving a car. The current models representation has the commander move the visor, while keeping his head/eyes fix in position. Try binding your brain to your left and right eye.

• Haha 1

Aren't you a delicate snowflake xD

FFS i was just stating a fact, and also i guess it makes easier for VR users to move with the visor. Yes i find it natural with M+K.

Hey Goose, I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a way to set it up so that you can control your field of view and horizontal adjustment of the visor at the same time? 

I saw someone binding axis+mousebutton to use a visor afaik, but i never tryed it. The commanders visor  is wide enough to make it comfortable to me.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, LachenKrieg said:

It is one of the things with the Sherman that I think could be modeled a little better.

It would be nice if it worked like the gunner's gun sight, where you would nestle up to the visor and control the direction of your view with the mouse. At the moment it seems a little unnatural the way it its modeled. Having separate controls to vertically adjust the visor is a good thing that adds realism, but moving the commander with his visor using two separate controls is not natural.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:47 AM, Goosevich said:

I think I was pretty clear in what I was saying, it is ONE OF THE THINGS I THINK could be modeled a little better... in the Sherman.

Your response was, "that's how its done"!

I also went through all the key-bindings in the settings section and can't find anything referring to "mouse axis", which is what prompted my original response to you. I don't use VR, and haven't said anything that could possibly give you the impression that I do. But FFS, my question to you more then a week ago was, what exactly do you mean?

Having said that, what exactly is it that you find natural about the way it is currently modeled? Do you always drive you car with your head fixed in one position, while turning the steering wheel another direction? In other words, "HUYA?"

It appears to me to be just another thing in Tank Crew that has either been overlooked, or done as quick as possible to get the module out, and in our hands. They have taken a simple model for vision ports where you adjust the simulated crew members head to look through it, and then applied that to all vision ports where they should have made a distinction for at least the drivers periscope in the Pz III. M, and the commanders cupola in the Sherman.

The drivers periscope in the Pz III. M should work like the Gunners periscope. You should be able to hit the keys to nestle to the drivers periscope in the Pz III M just like you do for the main gun. And the Commanders vision port in the Sherman is similar to the way you would use a periscope in a submarine. You should be able to hit the keys to nestle up to it and then use your mouse to move your head with the visor. This would better represent the way the Commander would actually use his vision port.

Otherwise, what good are all the beautifully detailed models if you cant use them properly in the sim? I would like to think that issues like this fall in the category of realism. 

What I haven't gotten around to trying yet though is Geoweb35's suggested setup using dual keys assigned for the vertical/horizontal visor adjustment. But unless that works better somehow, I don't agree that the current way it is modeled is even close to how it is in real life. And for a sim, that's not saying much.

Yeah TLDR, hard pass.

I meant "that's how it's done in this sim " and that's it, you got me there. Since there is next to no documentation on this module/game and barely any moderation on this side of forums there's a LOT of spam so i won't guide you to the post where the guy combined mouse axis with mouse buttons to properly use the com-vis in the M4a1. You have to try by yourself, try the Geoweb's method.

Anyhow i find it natural cos with a sherman i am mostly unbuttoned, but if i have to i either only have time to look forward (and the visor is effin wide) and i dont need to move it with zoom on, and if i look for an air threat i need to use a keyboard to adjust the camera left/right/up.down to get at least a glimpse of a threat. I'm used to it i guess.

However i agree that it could and should be done better, like a lot of stuff in this game. I bought it as a last ditch to scratch that ww2 tank itch without r*tarded f2p bullsh*t and i'm dissapointed kinda in the updates overall - new vehicles are a-ok but the stuff that should fix the game rather f*cks up the game or it's kinda too little too late. There's a looooooooot of stuff missing and theres a F*CKTON of potential and im still having lots of fun.

I'm also through helping anyone here, since there are absolute morons in this niche community that can't even be bothered to check the most basic stuff in the options, and i'm bloody tired of answering the same questions over and over again, since there's really no documentation (even a community-made one), no tutorial etc. and the fact that devs still play around with core features it's pointless.

Edited by Goosevich
  • Thanks 1