Some Spotting Fun

Jason_Williams

Looks like finally I will be able to play again. I hope the final result improve a bit more. 

Have to ever considered to implement TAA? Combined with sharpening gives you a really well image quality.

2 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Anyone remember when we had the improved long range spotting and Jason posted a .jpg of the improvements, but no one could see any of the planes in the compression? 

Well, now it's YouTube compression, which is even worse, but we can see all the planes. 

Excellent work Jason and team! This is the reason I'm buying Normandy this week. 

I am holding until the final result, I hope the spoting is standard for all and not clickable or selected on servers. If that's the case I will buy the BON then.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
15 minutes ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

Super promising. High hopes for similar results in 4k...

4K looks fabulous trust me.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see some improvement although watching the video in fullscreen at 1080p still frustrated me. Just saying.

The aircraft are well visible just over and below horizon line aswell as when looked at against ground. However, they are still next to invisible when looked at I`d say 20deg down from horizon line. That showed to me in both situations when you were trailing the 109 and when there were aircraft heading towards you.  Especially apparent when viewed contact was trailing smoke - the aircraft silhouette was invisible which gave impression of a flying smoke by itself. Distance I had problems visualising was over 1km.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
12 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

Looks like finally I will be able to play again. I hope the final result improve a bit more. 

Have to ever considered to implement TAA? Combined with sharpening gives you a really well image quality.

I am holding until the final result, I hope the spoting is standard for all and not clickable or selected on servers. If that's the case I will buy the BON then.

What you see in this video is standard default for everyone, unless they want to pick the "blind man" option we will probably release so there will be no more I can't see anything and can't play the game.

Jason

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

My point was to record it in 1080p which is the crappiest res most play at with the crappiest AA (FXAA) and make a video that demonstrates that even then you can still see other planes. In a higher res with better AA and actually looking at your screen its even better.

Jason

And all this time I was happy with how the game looked with my crappy resolution and FXAA. 😞

I am, however, still looking forward to the improvements the new version will bring.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 minute ago, Mac_Messer said:

I can see some improvement although watching the video in fullscreen at 1080p still frustrated me. Just saying.

The aircraft are well visible just over and below horizon line aswell as when looked at against ground. However, they are still next to invisible when looked at I`d say 20deg down from horizon line. That showed to me in both situations when you were trailing the 109 and when there were aircraft heading towards you.  Especially apparent when viewed contact was trailing smoke - the aircraft silhouette was invisible which gave impression of a flying smoke by itself. Distance I had problems visualising was over 1km.

Sorry no, not in-game, this is crappy video distortion. And in real-life sorry, you can't always see everything perfectly so if that is what you are expecting sorry. And we haven't even tweaked any haze and we plan to make a new LOD level that gives us even more flexibility in the future for spotting, but that takes 1.5 months to build and we can;t do it right now. Spotting is no longer going not going be something to bitch about.

Jason

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 7

Thank you for the work-in-progress spotting video.

The video does indeed look bad on 1440p native screen, especially with YT compression. I presume you turned on "Disable resample" in your Sony Vegas project?

image.png.ae4bf248590a0cc86aee5233d5c16c98.png

Looking forward to the new version and by the looks of it, imminent spotting improvements.

I too am holding until the final result, but Normandy is suddenly starting to look very appealing. 🤩

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

69th_Mobile_BBQ

One thing that I have noticed - that I believe can be seen around the 4:00 to 5:00 mark - is that with no ground filter or blurred ground filter, planes that are viewed from above seem to disappear momentarily once they reach a certain distance away.   This happens with the current version as well.  It's not as noticeable with the ground filter set to sharp, which is what I use.  Obviously, there will be RL instances where planes will camouflage into the ground clutter but, I believe this example is different.  

Of course, it may also be a case of the video just not translating well onto my screen but, I certainly have noticed it in the current version.   

I am using 1920 x 1080 with V-sync, HDR - off, Fxaa full, all settings maxed except grass and mirrors.  

Other than that,  current version spotting  actually treats me quite well, with only some difficulty with plane ID at further than 2km (similar silhouette planes).   If further tweaking and improvement is coming, then I say, "YES PLEASE!" and "GREAT WORK!".   

Honestly, I can't say the problem with disappearing contacts and bad visibility is gone as noticed even in this short video the issue with disappearing contacts still happens all the time.

Maybe there is some improvement, but it's really subjective as the contacts are still disappearing. Also, flying with FoV @77 most of time is not realistic nor comfortable as even FoV @105 is not close to FoV in real life.

Few examples with disappearing contacts and the distance wasn't too great, all within 3/4km or even closer I believe.

Timing: 3:45/46

You can see the contact...

3-45_v.thumb.jpg.ed50f07c3331c88a342ecfca5b96e7e3.jpg

In a moment it''s vanished from the sky...

3-46_nv.thumb.jpg.e774984f17f9b337b05187bce65604e1.jpg

Timing: 11:50

Visual of 4 contacts...

11-50_v.thumb.jpg.3f85029e2c025c6bae9b9d3dcefa6015.jpg

In a moment, only 3 contacts are visible though the vanished one was at the same distance...

11-50_nv.thumb.jpg.558733bf72d638601688c014a05e4c6a.jpg

And one more but not the last

Timing: 12:46

Now see how clear is the area...

12-46_nm.thumb.jpg.4459bc39c36896741c777b2f840ab408.jpg

Now Jason turned on the markers, see how many you are missing and try to find them again with markers OFF :)

12-46_m.thumb.jpg.2a05d3b4f73ca8e82d8d80f34ec92651.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 3

Yes! The intermediate range is where they all seem to turn into grey blurs and vanish. This is exactly what happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

And in real-life sorry, you can't always see everything perfectly so if that is what you are expecting sorry.

Jason

I've been wondering for some time if the spotting complaints were due to people thinking that they should be able to track targets as well as the AI... (The AI is a lot better at remembering targets and tracking them than some of us less-skilled players are). It would be great to see the AI sometimes lose track of its target and try to disengage before searching and re-acquiring it...

We could really do with a sim someday that has a 'difficulty' option which lets the player turn-on more realistic (i.e. more frequent) disengagement behaviours for the AI. Something for the wishlist!

Edited by Avimimus

I do not know if we can take too many conclusions from a video in which we know there are several layers of degradation of quality (capture, compression, youtube...).

I am happy to know that the problem is being looked upon and a solution is being worked on. I think, I will reserve my criticism for when I have the new visibility working in my rig.

Edited by HR_Zunzun
  • Upvote 4

LColony_Red_Comet

Super Stoked!

Any way we could get a higher quality video? Either way thanks for sharing this. Cant wait to see what it looks like in game.

Edited by [TLC]MasterPooner
  • Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
2 hours ago, Maverick23 said:

Honestly, I can't say the problem with disappearing contacts and bad visibility is gone as noticed even in this short video the issue with disappearing contacts still happens all the time.

Maybe there is some improvement, but it's really subjective as the contacts are still disappearing. Also, flying with FoV @77 most of time is not realistic nor comfortable as even FoV @105 is not close to FoV in real life.

Few examples with disappearing contacts and the distance wasn't too great, all within 3/4km or even closer I believe.

Timing: 3:45/46

You can see the contact...

3-45_v.thumb.jpg.ed50f07c3331c88a342ecfca5b96e7e3.jpg

In a moment it''s vanished from the sky...

3-46_nv.thumb.jpg.e774984f17f9b337b05187bce65604e1.jpg

Timing: 11:50

Visual of 4 contacts...

11-50_v.thumb.jpg.3f85029e2c025c6bae9b9d3dcefa6015.jpg

In a moment, only 3 contacts are visible though the vanished one was at the same distance...

11-50_nv.thumb.jpg.558733bf72d638601688c014a05e4c6a.jpg

And one more but not the last

Timing: 12:46

Now see how clear is the area...

12-46_nm.thumb.jpg.4459bc39c36896741c777b2f840ab408.jpg

Now Jason turned on the markers, see how many you are missing and try to find them again with markers OFF :)

12-46_m.thumb.jpg.2a05d3b4f73ca8e82d8d80f34ec92651.jpg

Sorry, you don't seem to listen or believe me. When I was flying you can see them moving across the sky in the frames you point out. Still frames from a compressed video just does not do it justice. Stop trying to piss on my parade. You guys complained about spotting for a long time, we finally found the time to address it and you'll just have to see it yourself and yes sometimes with the right camo and lighting and against the right background they may be momentarily difficult to see, just like in real life. 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 28

ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket
18 minutes ago, Vyllis said:

This was great and this is not even a clear in game vid (youtube crap). Finally i'll be able to play icons OFF or multiplayer.

Excellent !

I agree....the very fast responsiveness to the community is very appreciated! Keep going like this

Good to see progress, YT video is not most flavorable to display how it looks so ill just belive its better then it looks in it and airplanes are at bigger distances then it looks.

Would like before its out if testers can test qm duel where player starts at ~5km alt while enemy ai at ~1km alt, thats good enought distance and ground cluter to see if there is improvment in spoting that enemy, and when diving on enemy if he stay in sight all the time, and when player check 6 if he can fined enemy ai again. Noob ai , so he doesent try to fight but just fly his way while you dive on him and see if there is improvment.

Edited by CountZero
  • Upvote 2

Like most of us,  I can not see anything new in the video. .   I understand that this is down to Youtube and I totally believe Jasons claims that he is seeing a big improvement but, for me, the video did not demonstrate anything.   I am excited to see the real thing though 👍

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

While I appreciate the changes and transparency with the community, why not give us a filesharing (dropbox/googleDrive/whatever) download of the uncompressed video? With the horrible youtube compression, you could have uploaded a video of the old spotting and nobody would doubt it.

Edited by QB.Gregor-
  • Upvote 3

I think that this is going to be great, and really appreciate that the team has focused on this.

Better that someone can say that they are a tiny bit easier to spot compared to real life on an image / screenshot side by side, as we are severely handicapped looking at pixels on a screen or a VR headset compared to the 48K 180+ degree MK1 Eyeballs with full VR, perfect stereoscopic sight and motion tracking. So to have "realistic" spotting they really need to be quite much easier to see on a side by side comparison (image vs screen shot)... And it sure makes multiplayer less fun when it's 70% about pixel spotting and not dog fighting. 

Edited by mazex

[DBS]Browning
1 hour ago, QB.Gregor- said:

While I appreciate the changes and transparency with the community, why not give us a filesharing (dropbox/googleDrive/whatever) download of the uncompressed video? With the horrible youtube compression, you could have uploaded a video of the old spotting and nobody would doubt it.

It's not feasible to upload uncompressed 4k video at 60fps. It would be many hundreds of GB in size.

I've watched this video on my phone and found the contacts to be fairly easy spottable. Surely would not have been the same with current spotting. 

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

It's not feasible to upload uncompressed 4k video at 60fps. It would be many hundreds of GB in size.

Doesn't have to be 13 min long and it's only 1080p. :)

I watched it on my iPad and even with all the compression it looks like an improvement. Can’t wait to fly it IRL! Well not really IRL but you know what I mean.

The (second) greatest of patches is upon us.

AI gunners, take this as a warning!! The people shall be heard. Your days are numbered you improbably accurate bastards.

• Haha 4

Thanks for having another go at improving this aspect of the game.
Will be good to see the in game performance - I sure hope your efforts meet with success.

16 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

My point was to record it in 1080p which is the crappiest res most play at with the crappiest AA (FXAA) and make a video that demonstrates that even then you can still see other planes. In a higher res with better AA and actually looking at your screen its even better.

Jason

Would you possibly humor us and release a 1440p or higher video using "good" settings so that we have something a little bit more in line with how the other half of the player base is running the game? I can definitely see the differences you speak of, in a way.  But the whole thing looks like it was smeared with Vaseline and then recorded.  Even for 1080p, and accounting for YouTube compression, it's really bad.

Thank you guys for looking in to this.  I can't wait to have addition spotting options available in the near future. 

• Jason_Williams locked this topic