Rustedgun

HOTAS controls in Tank Crew

I play Great Battles in VR (planes and tanks) and have a Warthog HOTAS and pedals. 
1) VR means a keyboard and mouse only solution for tank controls does not make sense for me
2) Given that the planes in Great Battles all share one input file (there are not separate inputs for individual planes) my HOTAS controls are basically all used by by plane settings
3) Given that single input file is now used for all tanks, as well as all planes, I have tried to dance around to get proper tank settings but I keep getting conflicts with my plane settings (even when sharing control inputs).

This has become more than awkward and has certainly been frustrating and time consuming. So am I correct in assuming that there is no real solution for this problem 
other than to go to third party software as Thad has been so kind to discuss in other threads? Also, I have not seen any discussion of separating the input files from the developer, so I am also assuming that this will be an on-going issue even when Tank Crew leaves early access. Thanks for any input.

Edited by Rustedgun

Agree, it is a pain in the ***. I hope also that they give us turret control through a joystick and separate the keybindings. Other then the solution you found there is none that Imam aware of.

On 8/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, Rustedgun said:

2) Given that the planes in Great Battles all share one input file (there are not separate inputs for individual planes) my HOTAS controls are basically all used by by plane settings
3) Given that single input file is now used for all tanks, as well as all planes, I have tried to dance around to get proper tank settings but I keep getting conflicts with my plane settings (even when sharing control inputs). Thanks for any input.

Salutations,

There doesn't have to be just one input file. 😲

I made one for Single Engine craft, Dual Engine craft and another for tanking. After keymapping each vehicle classification to my satisfaction... I copy it into its special folder and set them up as it's own mod using JSGME.

I can then activate the craft input mod I want to fly or drive before starting the game. Unfortunately, if I desire to change  vehicle categories I'm flying or driving I have to exit the game... deactivate and activate the one I want. But that doesn't really take that much time.

I know, I know.... it is a bit clunky. But it works for me. :coffee:

Thanks Thad,

Do you mind if I ask a few dumb questions regarding your reply? I would probably not go the JSGME/mod route (not fully comfortable with that) but would it be possible to:
a) Copy the existing data/input folder to a temporary location called "planeinput" (or do I just need to copy out one specific file from the input directory rather than the whole directory?)
b) Delete the input directory so the game creates a new input directory with the necessary new files
c) Go into the game and create new settings for tanks and then copy the input directory to a location called "tankinput" 
d) Then...when I play with planes I copy the "planeinput" files to the input directory and when I play Tank Crew I copy the "tankinput" files to input.

Would this work? I am afraid if I delete the whole input directory I am probably deleting more than just the key bindings but I am not sure what else is in there. This is why I wish the game would do this rather than me :>) 

Unfortunately, the game will currently only allow assess to one 'input' folder.

I know of no way to direct it to another input folder other than the mod activate route. 😐

When one deletes the 'input' folder, all of your chosen key bindings are lost unless you saved a copy.

As you can see, there in only one input folder. That is the one the game goes to.

Input.PNG

On 8/30/2020 at 2:16 AM, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Agree, it is a pain in the ***. I hope also that they give us turret control through a joystick and separate the keybindings. Other then the solution you found there is none that Imam aware of.

As Jason mentioned today in the General Discussion forum, joystick turret controls are coming soon: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

As Jason mentioned today in the General Discussion forum, joystick turret controls are coming soon: 

I am looking forward for that. Not able to use joystick for turret control was my first and biggest complain with TC.

39 minutes ago, DD_Crash said:

Joystick control in the next update :)

Oh, the joy.... the rapture! :yahoo:

Now let's arrange selectable aircraft input folders. 😐

It will be way more ergonomic to use those shortcuts in red tanks, that have view ports all over the place(best example being KV-1S that i hate commanding 'cos of those viewports and rearward DT mg). So that's a plus i guess.

I cant wait for this, joystick or arrow keys are better for tank aiming in a sim IMO. Competitive scenes where mouse aim is used just doesnt account for machinery and gunnery limits IRL like those other tank games. 

if you're using a HOTAS do you still need the keyboard or mouse to control anything or is everything controlled with the grip and the throttle ?

also not clear how do you define turn left/right assuming the stick is used for the turret.

definitely new to this game :)

I use rudder pedals to slew left/right and buttons on the stick for adjust sights, reload, fire, start engines etc.

Anyone have a Tank Crew Profile utilizing X55 HOTAS and Rudder Peddles they don't mine sharing? Thanks  TC