Dan_Taipan

Am I the only one who doesn't really like VR?

This is crazy talk. VR a fad!  Yeah sure. Like 3D tv's or movies I suppose? Look, there's literally thousands of flight simmers out there who think different. Thousands!

Look, every time I see some stupid house, I'll circle it for hours. That's how good it is.

Wait 'til they apply it to Tractor Sim! To look back and see a combine harvester, spewing out wheat chaff in living 3D. Well, words fail me ....

Heaven. :)

Back in 2018, when I helped run the 1CGS booth at the Las Vegas Flight Sim Expo with Jason and Hooves, we had two rigs running with VR headsets. There was never, ever a time over the two days of the convention that we didn't have people playing IL2 on one of these two computers. Everyone absolutely, positively loved it. So yeah, VR is the future for flight simming, no doubt about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Back in 2018, when I helped run the 1CGS booth at the Las Vegas Flight Sim Expo with Jason and Hooves, we had two rigs running with VR headsets. There was never, ever a time over the two days of the convention that we didn't have people playing IL2 on one of these two computers. Everyone absolutely, positively loved it. So yeah, VR is the future for flight simming, no doubt about it.

Wasn’t it amazing that there was a time that people would try out VR and share headsets! 😷😮

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Wasn’t it amazing that there was a time that people would try out VR and share headsets! 😷😮

Right?! My buddy who I fly Great Battles with a few times a week was visiting my backyard the other week and he started asking how Great Battles and Star Wars Squadrons looks in my Quest. I had given him my TrackIR when I got my Quest back in March, and when we fly together we talk on Discord, so he was very curious. 

Of course it's pretty much impossible to explain the VR experience, but because of how much COVID there still is in Los Angeles we knew he couldn't simply put on my Quest. We don't have the "genes" or access to medical care that world leaders apparently enjoy 🤪

I'll probably give/lend the Quest to him when my Reverb G2 pre-order arrives, and he can generously wipe it down with alcohol and let it sit unused for at least a week. 

Edited by GOZR

OP,

If you are looking for folks who don't really like VR....going to the IL VR forum is the wrong place to find those people. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Well now that we know the real purpose of VR is so Facebook can collect your data and the games are just there to entice you into wearing it...

Less reason to like it 😜

20 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well now that we know the real purpose of VR is so Facebook can collect your data and the games are just there to entice you into wearing it...

Less reason to like it 😜

i'm curious, what percentage of your 4000+ posts are anti-VR nonsense?

26 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Less reason to like it 😜

LOL. Facebook hardly requires a VR headset to collect our data trust me on that one.

What they are doing however is integrating VR with their social media platform. They see that as an avenue for great growth of the VR industry.

They envision social media as folks actually hanging out together virtually complete with face and hand/arm gestures, 

And continuing to expand their VR market is only going to help the VR industry overall for everyone.

My interests lie in the higher end PC-VR headsets so I will not be going the Oculus route here at least for the short term,

It will be interesting to watch their growth and what they do for VR going forward.

I will admit though, one thing that has really caught my eye with the Quest 2 is it's apparent ability to run pretty good via wireless connection

with Virtual Desktop. I will be keeping an eye on that progress. 

• Upvote 1

The only thing I dislike in VR is the fact that computers are again not powerful enough. There were many years you could play latest AAA games with midrange computer, settings about maxed, if you sourced the parts yourself. Now with VR you need expensive high end gear to get the most out of it.

Now the positives. 4k gaming and VR make a good pairing, the power for VR is in good use with 4k displays. You can laugh at your pancake game's system requirements. Also for us who started gaming in 80's this VR is like a gaming re-invented. A new start. I am very interested to see and experience how it develops, almost ready to buy Quest 2. What is also positive is that you don't have to do VR gaming if you don't feel so. The ancient 20th century pancake is there, and will not go away.

Edited by messsucher

26 minutes ago, dburne said:

What they are doing however is integrating VR with their social media platform. They see that as an avenue for great growth of the VR industry.

They envision social media as folks actually hanging out together virtually complete with face and hand/arm gestures, 

And continuing to expand their VR market is only going to help the VR industry overall for everyone.

Today I participated in a work meeting in VR, using Spatial. Unfortunately I don't have a supported headset, so I was 2D guy using webcam and browser. But still, it was pretty good. The folks in VR remarked that it was really quite good and they got a feeling of being together with their colleagues. With Quest 2 apparently you can read lots of detail at good distances, it was quite usable for collaboration.

29 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Today I participated in a work meeting in VR, using Spatial. Unfortunately I don't have a supported headset, so I was 2D guy using webcam and browser. But still, it was pretty good. The folks in VR remarked that it was really quite good and they got a feeling of being together with their colleagues. With Quest 2 apparently you can read lots of detail at good distances, it was quite usable for collaboration.

I'm a project manager in my daily profession and myself and 2 other coworkers have used our Quests in both Teams and Zoom meetings.  It's pretty great.

1 hour ago, QB.Creep said:

i'm curious, what percentage of your 4000+ posts are anti-VR nonsense?

Like I said, it’s a fixation on technology 😉

I can’t help but comment on stuff like...

Facebook buys Oculus for $2 billion

Then Facebook requires you to log into Facebook to use it. Oculus has like a 50% market share or more considering the Quest

Why did a social media company fund VR? For gaming? Naw... they really want it to read your brain, the games are just there to make you wear it. Now it’s all clear 🤣

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Like I said, it’s a fixation on technology 😉

I can’t help but comment on stuff like...

Facebook buys Oculus for $2 billion

Then Facebook requires you to log into Facebook to use it. Oculus has like a 50% market share or more considering the Quest

Why did a social media company fund VR? For gaming? Naw... they really want it to read your brain, the games are just there to make you wear it. Now it’s all clear 🤣

Welll technically you do not have to login to Facebook to use the device.

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

And here is the photo of that event ....

846078026_vratwork.jpg.05cdb820f5472ffa9f366c67cc205efa.jpg