Jump to content

Russian pilot model replaced with either RAF or USAAF Pilot/gunners models - Files updated V5 compatible with 4.505 onwards


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Revised set of files (link updated) to work with latest official game update 4.505.

I found I had a small issue with the A20 gunners. I have fixed that and also took the opportunity to add a second set for download that replaces the Russian pilots and gunners with a USAAF set. 

A set of files that swaps out the Russian pilot model for either a RAF pilot/gunner or USAAF pilot/gunner models when flying the various lend lease planes. ie when flying the Spitfire Vb, P40, P39, A20 etc you will see a RAF pilot model when flying in Western Europe rather than the Russian pilot.

Both the winter and summer pilot models show as required.

place either the unzipped RAF or USAAF folder in to your games MODS folder and install with jsgme. and simply uninstall when you want to fly as a Russian in Russia.

Please note: you can only use one set at a time either RAF or USAAF do not load both together.

RAF set.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xle54xi2g924skm/Pilot_USSR_change_to_RAF_%26_Luft_Revised_Uniform_V5.rar/file

USAAF set.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9txdvi33kfxp9fe/Pilot_USSR_change_to_USAAF_Uniform_V5.rar/file

regards Rob.

russian pilot RAF.JPG

russian pilot RAF2.JPG

Edited by Off_Winters
link made sharable
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The game already provides this option (since the one before last update, I think):😉

pilots.thumb.jpg.0740eea4b0cc2101da71d71e0b3c68a9.jpg

 

As you can see, it's even possible to have both pilot models at the same time!

 

Just specify the nationality in the Mission Editor. Quick Missions should pick the pilot model depending on the map (so a Spit Vb on Kuban uses VVS, the same aircraft on Rheinland uses RAF). Edit: I was wrong, in quick missions the pilot model depends on the aircraft so there this mod does have its use.

 

EDIT: From the 4.006 changelog:
24. Battle of Bodenplatte aircraft which have been also lend-leased to USSR (Spitfire-IX, B-25D, P-47D) can have Soviet crews if their country in a mission file is set to the USSR;
25. P-40E (BoM), Spitfire-Vb (BoK) and Spitfire-IXe (BoBp) have American pilots if their country in a mission file is set to the USA;
26. P-40E (BoM), Spitfire-Vb (BoK) and P-51D (BoBp) have British pilots if their country in a mission file is set to the UK;

 

The A-20 also has this ability (but slightly bugged as the tail gunner still uses the Soviet pilot). Only the P-39 can only be flown with a Soviet pilot.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, E69_julian57 said:

Hello @AEthelraedUnraed
In the picture you put the mk V spitfire pilot is Russian.
As you say through the editor if you can change the pilot.
On fast missions that doesn't happen because they're not edited. 

:salute:

I tried it out and it seems you're right. Taking a Spit Vb for a spin on Rheinland gives me a Soviet pilot. I edited my post accordingly :salute:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 11:56 PM, DN308 said:

In the A-20, only the pilot is in UK outfit. Gunners are in russian’s uniform 

Hi DN,
 

you are right the rear gunner in the A20 is still using the Russian model which has been repainted to look similar to RAF tunic, boots etc. however the give away is the parachute harness.

currently you should be seeing this for the A20 gunner.

image.png.cac6d65cd2853e07b73c8519e23c154c.png

 

I have been playing around more and have the correct RAF model in place but no animations working, not sure if I will be able to get them working either.

To that end I took the summer  A20 upper and lower gunner models and replaced them with the winter version and then painted the texture to look like RAF boots, pants and leather Irvin flying jacket. The heavy jacket is not out of place in summer maps as a lot of gunners in open gunner positions would wear the heavy jackets to protect against cold.
image.thumb.png.ad727a7e6518988ab0a6ee8e8d96c170.png

This means I can still have Russian pilots in Russian planes in correct uniform for summer autumn maps and you will see the above in the gunner positions. 

I'm still tidying up a couple of bits and pieces and then I'll update the set.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, Off_Winters said:

Hi DN,
 

you are right the rear gunner in the A20 is still using the Russian model which has been repainted to look similar to RAF tunic, boots etc. however the give away is the parachute harness.

currently you should be seeing this for the A20 gunner.

image.png.cac6d65cd2853e07b73c8519e23c154c.png

 

I have been playing around more and have the correct RAF model in place but no animations working, not sure if I will be able to get them working either.

To that end I took the summer  A20 upper and lower gunner models and replaced them with the winter version and then painted the texture to look like RAF boots, pants and leather Irvin flying jacket. The heavy jacket is not out of place in summer maps as a lot of gunners in open gunner positions would wear the heavy jackets to protect against cold.
image.thumb.png.ad727a7e6518988ab0a6ee8e8d96c170.png

This means I can still have Russian pilots in Russian planes in correct uniform for summer autumn maps and you will see the above in the gunner positions. 

I'm still tidying up a couple of bits and pieces and then I'll update the set.

regards Rob.

Good job sir!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Mate, hasn't this been added to the stock game in a previous patch, or am I just confused?

 

Yes, it was just added to 4.505, so there really isn't any need for the mod any more.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Mate, hasn't this been added to the stock game in a previous patch, or am I just confused?

Hi Det, LukeFF,

the previous patch put in UK and US pilots if the plane is designated as either RAF or USAAF in a mission. This little mod changes the Russian pilot and gunners models into UK pilot and gunners in QC or missions that do not have the country assigned to UK or USAAF. 

to test try flying the A20, P40, Spit Vb, Hurricane etc in Quick Combat on one of the Russian maps (or even the German map) and see if you see a Russian pilot. then add the mod and fly the same mission you'll see what it does.

regards Rob. 

Edited by Off_Winters
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

updated the set to fix an issue with A20 gunners. link in post one revised.
 

Also added a second set that changes the Russian pilots and gunners in to USAAF pilots and gunners. new link for USAAF set in post one.
 

regards Rob.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

If I put it before and after, and the error still appears.

Hi Julian,

I got the same error as you described, the gunner standing when War in the West was installed. this is perplexing as the files Detcord included do not reference characters other than texture changes. The only difference I could find was the A20 info.txt file has had country 103 (Britain) added to the country ID list for the aircraft. this means the aircraft can call on both Russian and British crews in QC and missions etc.. 

Whilst I haven't been able to completely work out how this extra country ID interacts with character files I have worked out how to fix the problem of the standing gunner. 

My pilot sets include the actual British pilot model and other associated files for the British pilot in addition to the new textures. these files are not really needed for my set, its only really the textures for the British pilot that are needed.

so to fix it, navigate to the British pilot folder in my Mod.
IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\Pilot USSR change to RAF & Luft Revised Uniform V5\data\graphics\characters\pilot_brit

and delete all the files inside that folder except for the texture folder and its contents.
image.png.8a894f7015a118ea100e24ef7f237d76.png

this will fix the issue and still allow the Russian pilots to be swapped out when flying the A20, Spitfire, P39 or P40 etc when flying quick combat and other missions that do not specify British crew for planes that are normally occupied by Russian pilots in game.

after doing this I was able to fly with British A20 crews in quick combat, scripted missions, and Detcords War in the West campaign missions and the gunners worked correctly.

regards Rob.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, No457_Stonehouse said:

Hi Rob,

Looks like the same issue is in Kuban Nth Africa after the last hotfix patch - I assume it's the same advice to fix for now?

Hi Stonehouse,

yes mate, same solution for the desert mod if people are seeing the issue. I've applied the same fix to the next version of the mod.

regards Rob.

11 hours ago, 76IAP-Black said:

To be honest i think the devs should add a nations select button to the qmb.

That would be ideal.

regards Rob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi Rob. I removed all the pilot-brit from the pilot USSR change as you suggested above, but the gunner persists on standing.

Installed this mod last (JSGME); must be doing something wrong. Or i must use a P38 instead of the now crucial a20-b25 flight maybe (a20 as payer).

 

ADDED: FIXED: the brit-pilot files were installed twice, also from the 3.1 hot fix ...

 

Started making a non historical affair using your mod, still looking for a collaborator more expert than me for helping out LoL

BTW them trains look great, far better than in the 'original' Il2 set up ...

 

PS I really could use a torpedo mod for an allied plane like LizLemon made for the Ju88 and He111. 

Might come up with some RAAF skin for these kraut planes otherwise.

 

PS i posted 6 RAAF skins on haluter's, if you want you can use them, but Rap ia a far better skinner than me LoL.

 

Harry is ready Africa MOD_2.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, jollyjack said:

 

PS I really could use a torpedo mod for an allied plane like LizLemon made for the Ju88 and He111. 

Might come up with some RAAF skin for these kraut planes otherwise.

 

 

 

Glad you got the pilots sorted, and thanks for the RAAF skins.

I have a torpedo loadout for some allied planes :) I have been refining LizLemon's original idea a bit. pity we don't have a slightly shorter torpedo model.

image.png.3acae04ba94c8d747ac8c8510c5d5974.png

 

image.png.1d6a7b5d9f5d9194f75f03db5e31dddd.png

Just when I tought I was safe they nailed me, but one torp struck home.
image.png.51ca5babfa7abb30f7e8db4306618af0.png


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Off_Winters said:

Glad you got the pilots sorted, and thanks for the RAAF skins.

I have a torpedo loadout for some allied planes :) I have been refining LizLemon's original idea a bit. pity we don't have a slightly shorter torpedo model.

image.png.3acae04ba94c8d747ac8c8510c5d5974.png

 

image.png.1d6a7b5d9f5d9194f75f03db5e31dddd.png

Just when I tought I was safe they nailed me, but one torp struck home.
image.png.51ca5babfa7abb30f7e8db4306618af0.png


 

 

How much shorter is needed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LizLemon said:

 

How much shorter is needed?

Hi LizLemon,

just a little bit off the front for the P38 it is just intersecting the prop blade area. 

For the P47 it needs a tad off each end just hits the prop and the fin is just touching the ground when taxiing.
image.png.532229eed78e3ae050877914ad1b483d.pngimage.png.c48b02e250280610640edb7e8a3e5430.pngimage.png.310bc50fb7b110121226252b5f947e33.png

 

for the German side I have the menu showing correct torpedo images and the load out is described correctly as a torpedo.

 

 

image.thumb.png.ac43b21fa26b6b45a27764bd07b756aa.png

 

image.png.d28c841702f2f07f7de39ca54a09f0ee.png

I'm going to try out the Fw190 at some point see if I can get a single torp loadout looking half decent.

image.png

Edited by Off_Winters
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Off_Winters said:

Hi LizLemon,

just a little bit off the front for the P38 it is just intersecting the prop blade area. 

For the P47 it needs a tad off each end just hits the prop and the fin is just touching the ground when taxiing.
image.png.532229eed78e3ae050877914ad1b483d.pngimage.png.c48b02e250280610640edb7e8a3e5430.pngimage.png.310bc50fb7b110121226252b5f947e33.png

 

for the German side I have the menu showing correct torpedo images and the load out is described correctly as a torpedo.

 

 

image.thumb.png.ac43b21fa26b6b45a27764bd07b756aa.png

 

image.png.d28c841702f2f07f7de39ca54a09f0ee.png

I'm going to try out the Fw190 at some point see if I can get a single torp loadout looking half decent.

image.png

 

The torp in the mod is already a bit smaller and about the correct dimensions for the F5b. The problem is offsetting the location for the origin/hook used to place the torpedo. I have no idea how to do this and it limits how short a torp can be made without it being placed too far aft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

 

The torp in the mod is already a bit smaller and about the correct dimensions for the F5b. The problem is offsetting the location for the origin/hook used to place the torpedo. I have no idea how to do this and it limits how short a torp can be made without it being placed too far aft.

yep, understand the limitation, your talking about the placement of the node within the max model that lines up adjoining parts. you would require the source file and the plugin to export the file in the .mgm format.

when you asked how much shorter I had a fleeting hope that you may have had a way of exporting a revised 3D model.

Link to post
Share on other sites

class, i hope you two get it sorted out! the he111 torpedo-ing is already a great plus, but blowing up german ships doubles the fun ...

 

PS that mgm editing interests me too, but there seems to be no program or converter able to do that.

Genius mentioned some where to convert it from obj to mgm, but i could not find anything useful, like how to get mgm into blender ...

Edited by jollyjack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its doing it with hex editing. There are multipliers for object length about each axis. You can also edit some of the shader parameters. 

 

541209586_Viewer2021-03-2611-22-17.png.4162d02511fa3f13d3b6cb84ae01bbf2.png

 

Current torp mod length vs short torp

882535094_Viewer2021-03-2611-26-06.png.1b6b46656a40b86dc883be7baa554fc8.png99428606_Viewer2021-03-2611-26-20.png.3aae3c8d6303e6f908d81dfc50b414f4.png

 

Note: rename shorttorp.rar to shorttorpmgm

 

The model multipliers are here. Again stock on left vs short mod on right.

693325834_hex3d.png.6221bec4fe4d95b9c2155c474be27fd3.png654706573_hex3d2.png.27150bfea72fbe1f42cbed1d5a210148.png

Default value of hex 80 = 128 dec. This is no multiply. Values > 80 make longer, values lower than 80 make shorter.

 

Shader values are later. Often model has multiple shaders for different parts. That is like this;

bumpchrome.png.c5e660035e6b0bb3b9f90729f6090c85.png

 

You can change texture to easily find which part is which. Values after shader break down like this;

 

50 50 50 E6 73 73 73 FF FF 7F 93 08 50 50 50 00 04 00 00 00 0B 00 00 00

 

50,50,50 = diffuse multiplier in RGB - this is different for different models and why color matching aircraft is impossible

E6 = spec power or exponent, cant remember which. Also why spec looks different on different aircraft.

73 73 73 = spec color multiplier, no idea why this exists outside of maybe they thought of doing metalness?

FF = spec power or exponent, again cant recall which

 

Then there is FF 7F 93, I cant remember the order but its a reflection multiplier, a normal multi(that works like 128 = flat >128=concave <128=convex) and one that does nothing

 

Iirc 93/80 = one of them causes a crash. The 50 50 50 has to do with transparent or double sided polys, cant remember which. You get the idea.

shorttorp.rar

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

P38Fs could have a torpedo load out but P47s? 

Just mucking about, nothing historical for the P47.

10 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Its doing it with hex editing. There are multipliers for object length about each axis. You can also edit some of the shader parameters. 

 

Iirc 93/80 = one of them causes a crash. The 50 50 50 has to do with transparent or double sided polys, cant remember which. You get the idea.

Thanks LizLemon for the detailed breakdown. I'm going to have a play with this and see what comes of it.

the attached short torp file you put up does not open, corrupted file or unknown format. I have a licenced copy of winRAR.

regards Rob.

Edited by Off_Winters
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Off_Winters said:

Just mucking about, nothing historical for the P47.

Thanks LizLemon for the detailed breakdown. I'm going to have a play with this and see what comes of it.

the attached short torp file you put up does not open, corrupted file or unknown format. I have a licenced copy of winRAR.

regards Rob.

 

rename it to .mgm

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LizLemon said:

 

rename it to .mgm

Thanks, right click file save as then .mgm took a minute to get my old head working :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumbo's Q: the shorttorp file, what additional things apart from remaming are needed to make it work with f.i. a P28?

f.i. the he11 torpedo mod has some extra files, like in Torpedo_F5B.txtx

----------------

lod="graphics\Ammo\10_Bomb_SC1000.MGM",50
lod="graphics\Ammo\20_Bomb_SC1000.MGM",25

DefArg=-1,0.0

------------------------

and should there be a modded dds file in ammo/textures?

 

thnx

Edited by jollyjack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...