busdriver

Luftwaffe's Visual Lorenz system

Here's a sample of what I'm trying to grasp:

Surface and Runways: firm grass surface. The Luftwaffe expanded Drucat in 1941 and by 1942 there were 3 concrete runways measuring approx. 1650 meters (1,800 yards) aligned NW/SE, 1600 meters (1,750 yards) aligned NE/SW and 1465 meters (1,600 yards) aligned E/W x c. 50 meters (55 yards) each. Had paved assembly areas at N and W ends plus connecting taxiways and perimeter tracks. Permanently equipped for instrument landings with a flare-path, a beam approach system and all 3 runways outfitted with permanent illumination and visual Lorenz systems.

Can any of the Luftwaffe experts shed some light (so to speak) on the visual Lorenz system? My inquiry is strictly asking about the airfield components (not the blind or instrument system). My first guess is perhaps the V/L (to borrow the RAF parlance) functioned like VASI or PAPI systems. 

Does anybody have a diagram of what a pilot could/should see on final, approaching the runway?

Posted (edited)

Thank you kindly. I have that book. I've read anecdotes where Mosquito crews reported that the runway lights and V/L lights were off (or on) when they got to their target airfield. Since the Lorenz approach was a non-precision (lacking vertical guidance) approach, I wonder if the V/L was simply approach lighting or if there was some vertical component.

@LukeFF looking for clues while continuing my research to get a better mental picture of the V/L system. I read these ORB entries. I deciphered the first highlight to read, "Melun E/W [east/west] V/L lit. One crossbar one mile from A/D [airdrome] and Arrowhead 2 miles.Apparently the Visual Lorenz system was simply what we now call "approach lights" but with extra features a bit further from the threshold. 

40219320_ORBreferencetoVisualLorenz.thumb.jpg.f0285fe095b13cb2edd324d4e2ec1a95.jpg

The second highlight also at Melun, I deciphered as "NE/SW [northeast/southwest] F/P [flare path] and S/W [southwest] Arm of V/L lit but no activity." 

• Thanks 1