Jason_Williams

Official Historical Campaign "Hell Hawks Over the Bulge" - Discussion

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Thanks.

Guys no need to keep reporting the RTB problem in those 2 missions. I’m working on it.

Thanks for your hard work.  I'll wait about a month and re fly the campaign, it is very good.

21 hours ago, Taxman said:

Thanks for your hard work.  I'll wait about a month and re fly the campaign, it is very good.

When you return you will find mission 7 fixed and improved. Turns out an important part of the experience on ingress was “unplugged” and unintentionally eliminated from the mission. Bummed me out when I discovered this as it’s a very cool little “moment” in the scripting that took time to get right - and wasn’t even there. $@%$

All in all small mall potatoes but still annoying. In any case this has been fixed on my end and will be submitted to the Team shortly. 

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

When you return you will find mission 7 fixed and improved. Turns out an important part of the experience on ingress was “unplugged” and unintentionally eliminated from the mission. Bummed me out when I discovered this as it’s a very cool little “moment” in the scripting that took time to get right - and wasn’t even there. $@%$

All in all small mall potatoes but still annoying. In any case this has been fixed on my end and will be submitted to the Team shortly. 

Thanks.  Looking forward to re-flying.  As LuseKofte stated hoping you get some compensation, however I don't believe it will be enough, you put many hours into this campaign.  Again thank you.

Guys I'm glad you're enjoying the campaign, but you don't need to worry about my compensation etc.

I work with good people and all is well.

Blue Skies.

• Like 2

I started a play through series of videos on this campaign over at the AirWolves YouTube channel. I've only just started but I have to say that the custom radio calls are brilliant when it comes to adding immersion. I can't wait to see what comes next!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Quick note - I love CutCut’s responses to Elwood Leads’ calls, (I really do) but they’re his little additions for the video and not included in the campaign. 

There is back and forth chatter in the campaign, but not from the player AC.

Just FYI.

Nice video CutCut - thank you. :)

I had to hop on here and say, that from what I've enjoyed of this campaign so far; This one raises the bar with the custom callouts, it really changes things. It becomes much more of an experience. Just top notch, y'all!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Massive crash on runway at start of mission 3.  We spawn in and planes are running each other over.  Pretty funny really.  Guess I'll put running any more on hold till fixes happen next patch time.

38 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Massive crash on runway at start of mission 3.  We spawn in and planes are running each other over.  Pretty funny really.  Guess I'll put running any more on hold till fixes happen next patch time.

Never seen this, ever

Also hasn’t been reported by anyone else.

Does this happen when you reboot the mission?

Edit: @BlitzPig_EL

Just tested - works as intended Amigo...nothing to fix on my end.

Works as Intended.jpg

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have finished the campaign and no problems on any missions,the last mission I have played twice but no success as did not shot all the planes down,( with my bad shooting I run out of ammo)

I look forward very much to any future projects you do

the New Years mission is the best and a good mission to test my different effect mods😁

• Thanks 1

I'll give it another try.  I should have taken a screenshot. Broken planes all over the runway.

Thanks Gambit21 for the incredible effort you have put into this campaign. It has all the ingredients that bring the game world to life:

Interesting weather conditions.

Packed airfields.

Lots of vehicles moving about.

Lots of aircraft in the skies going about their business.

A hugely active ground war.

Best of all the immersive chatter of fellow pilots on the R/T.

Superb! 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'll give it another try.  I should have taken a screenshot. Broken planes all over the runway.

Screen shot wouldn’t serve any purpose - I know what crashed planes look like.

Most likely you did something you’re not supposed to - like moved forward before your turn. It’s set up with check-zone triggers. 

Edited by Gambit21

15 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I had this happen ONLY when I started the mission with the power above Idle. 

Posted from back on 12 December in the Beta Tester Flood...

Kids...ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure your throttle is at idle power BEFORE your spawn in. Just saying while awaiting my transfer to the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, I anticipate an award from Herr Hitler for my 14 confirmed P-47s destroyed without firing a shot.

1301765022_KeystoneKops.thumb.jpg.9415210112709fa18d77dbe4c69ae65d.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

I had this happen ONLY when I started the mission with the power above Idle. 

Posted from back on 12 December in the Beta Tester Flood...

Kids...ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure your throttle is at idle power BEFORE your spawn in. Just saying while awaiting my transfer to the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, I anticipate an award from Herr Hitler for my 14 confirmed P-47s destroyed without firing a shot.

1301765022_KeystoneKops.thumb.jpg.9415210112709fa18d77dbe4c69ae65d.jpg

I'm just picturing the cop car scene from Blues Brothers except with P-47s.

• Haha 1

Ramping on the Runway - realise you are last in order and wait for the other planes to form up on the runway first then follow - then you should avoid any crashing.

Not clear in mission briefs where you are in the flight and you spawn in the front when parked but you just have to wait. 🙂

2 minutes ago, blitze said:

Ramping on the Runway - realise you are last in order and wait for the other planes to form up on the runway first then follow - then you should avoid any crashing.

Not clear in mission briefs where you are in the flight and you spawn in the front when parked but you just have to wait. 🙂

If you make the mistake of pulling out before your turn the first time you see this, (mission 2) you get a sharp tongue-lashing from another member of your flight. After this mission one way or the other you know how it works. :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I got hit from behind.  Oh the humanity

You and 75% of airborne humanity.

Finished mission 3 today. Lost my first wing man to a direct flak hit on the way to the target. I saw no parachute so I assume the flak killed him instantly.

Video of the mission coming soon!

Il-2 Sturmovik 9_9_2020 3_49_42 PM.png

Edited by AirWolves=CutCut
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Wow - one in a million shot at that AI setting. That flak was put there mostly for effect.

Hi All,

I want to play this with as much historical accuracy as I can, so should I use 150 octane fuel and the gyro sight? I guess not, but I don't know the historical availability of either for this group of P-47s.

Cheers,

AS

11 hours ago, AirWolves=CutCut said:

Lost my first wing man to a direct flak hit on the way to the target.

Ha! That was ME when I did Mission 3. I had to RTB without taking part in the mission at all!! Realistic though, I suppose. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Atomic_Spaniel said:

Hi All,

I want to play this with as much historical accuracy as I can, so should I use 150 octane fuel and the gyro sight? I guess not, but I don't know the historical availability of either for this group of P-47s.

Cheers,

AS

150-grade fuel was not used by USAAF squadrons in France, Holland, and Belgium.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AirWolves=CutCut said:

The mission 3 video is finally finished and up on the YouTube channel.

Original version/vision had all 16 Jugs from Elwood attacking that field...however performance plummeted with all that logic and all those tracer streams.

Was cool looking though.

So a bit of rework and the other flights peeled off for other objectives and one of them got the morning off.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well played, Gambit21. The first time I experienced one of these, the Flight Record shows I jumped about a foot out of my chair/CP. Really enjoying this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks!

It’s a little special effects invention of mine. :)

I’m hoping for a LARGE explosion effect to employ as well in the future - fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I've finally had a chance to start this campaign. I haven't read many comments in this thread so as to not spoil the experience of the missions and I'm not going to divulge much information in my comments here. But, after the first three missions all I can say is, well done. It's been very immersive thus far. A lot of ground movement on the airfield prior to takeoff and again when landing giving them a very lifelike feel.

Mission three was a blast and lined up with many pilot accounts I've read through the years. After a successful completion of the mission's objective, I caught up with my flight, all of whom had survived. The flight was in formation as we started our let down through heavy overcast as we approached home base. I slid out a little from the number three A/C and went on instruments as everything went first white, then black as I was engulfed by cloud. Very cool. Coming out underneath my flight was right where is was supposed to be and we all successfully landed one by one. Circling the field as those ahead of me landed, was most enjoyable. All in all, a good hour and better spent flying what felt like a real life mission. This might be the most enjoyable mission I've flown in all my years of flying BoX.

Good job Gambit. The money spent on this campaign so far feels like it was a bargain. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Rjel
Wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how you created the massive explosions I'm seeing in this campaign Gambit, but they are incredible. Watching replays, I'm seeing secondary explosions from the target area, sometimes followed by a third. Most impressive.

2020_10_10__17_33_22

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rjel said:

I don't know how you created the massive explosions I'm seeing in this campaign Gambit, but they are incredible. Watching replays, I'm seeing secondary explosions from the target area, sometimes followed by a third. Most impressive.

2020_10_10__17_33_22

Thanks

Can you send me a .trk file of this?

I want to check something. I did create some custom effects/explosions but that screen shot looks above and beyond.

56 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Thanks

Can you send me a .trk file of this?

I want to check something. I did create some custom effects/explosions but that screen shot looks above and beyond.

Sure can. It'll be a couple of minutes to post it.

PM with link sent.

Edited by Rjel

This is the best Great Battles campaign played so far.  This time I really felt like I was participating in the war, the big picture.  I could just imagine Easy Company fighting it out below me in Bastogne!   And the atmosphere in those early morning and stormy missions will bring a tear to your eye.   :)

Elwood Blue.... lol, was Jake in a different squadron?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks!

Note: “Elwood” was the actual call-sign of the 388th sqdrn (365th FG) and was a nod to Gen Elwood “Pete” Quesada who was the commanding officer of IX TAC (9th Tactical Air Command)

The forward ground controllers (pilots embedded with the tanks) and represented in this campaign, were thanks to him and increased the efficacy of CAS missions hugely.

• Like 1

Good to know, it's great that there are so many historical details packed into the campaign.  Until this week I never knew there were forward air controllers in WWII!

13 minutes ago, BlueHeron said:

Good to know, it's great that there are so many historical details packed into the campaign.  Until this week I never knew there were forward air controllers in WWII!

He began experimenting with it in Normandy, and this methodology was in full swing with the 9th AF by the time of the breakout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1