Who would like to see a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe remake?

I know it's probably not going to happen, but since I saw EA taking X-Wing more or less back to its roots (basically space-SIM, rather than space-GAEM), I thought it could be an interesting idea to revive another classic. Not in simulation sense, but more of an immersive arcade game sense. FS 2020 is generating quite a lot of hype in the general gaming community, mostly thanks to its graphics and scale (mark my words, those casuals are going to start trickling down here soon), so why not something with a Hollywood budget in the WWII combat setting?

Here's a vid for whoever is not a boomer.

PS I know I've been hammering this for a long time in different places, but I think the genre needs something entry-level for everyone to raise interest that is not War Thunder, which I kind of hate.

• Upvote 6

As long as it featured the strategic aspect of the original (planning attacks, distributing replacements, research etc.), i would definately be interested in a remake. 

1942 Pacific Air War also had a mode where you had to manage your own  fleet or air bases.

That's what i miss from flight sims, some immersion and strategic planning between or during the actual flying. It just feels too static and lifeless now.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Indianer said:

In stunning 256 color 😄

Hey! Don´t be sarcastic please. This was absolutely stunning high end in 1998!!  😆

Don´t know how many hours I´ve spend with this game. Must be hundreds. Not to mention the countles hours in modding the shit out of it.

If MicroProse would do a remake one day, I would insta buy it.

• Upvote 2

😀 Yeah, I had it too. I remember that main menu screen. Bought it on sale after playing cfs2 and old il2 a few years later when it was already old. I've been a big graphics nerd back then and unfortunately haven't played it much.

21 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Hey! Don´t be sarcastic please. This was absolutely stunning high end in 1998!!  😆

Don´t know how many hours I´ve spend with this game. Must be hundreds. Not to mention the countles hours in modding the shit out of it.

If MicroProse would do a remake one day, I would insta buy it.

Try 1991 man!

Edited by JG51_Beazil

After a bit of seraching in my "Games of the past box" I´ve found both games again!  Yeah!

Since I dont have a Play Station 2 in 2020...😁 I've tried to find Secret Weapons over Normandy for my PS 2 emulator. It takes me 5 minutes of search and another 2 min. to download.

And it works! But man, I´m soo bad in flying this arcade stuff now. LoL

@Mmaruda Thanks mate, to bringing back those memories.

CAM00256.jpg

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 1

My first kill was on "Secret Weapons of the Lufwaffe". I was a left waist gunner on board a B-17 and I got down a Messer 109... that was back in 1992...

But no, I don't think wee need a remake.

16 minutes ago, JG1_GenMarkof007 said:

S! I'm all in for a NEW version of these old games:

- Secret Weapons over Normandy
- Red Baron (original game and career mode)

Cheers,
JG1_GenMarkof

I owned Red Baron 3D as of 1998. Career mode was absolutely fantastic. Nevertheless the game presented a few bugs on it.

• Like 1
On 8/18/2020 at 5:55 AM, Semor76 said:

Secret Weapons was good game, back in the ´90.

But I would rather like to see a modern remake of this here:

menu.png

Spent countless hours playing this. Introduced my neighbor at the time who is still my best friend to it. His girlfriend at the time never forgave me. She was a bit bi polar and crazy...

I still remember opening up the configuration files and editing to run at 1024x760

• Haha 1

EAW is one of those games I missed out on and can't get over it. For it's time it looked amazing and had this typical 90's Western sim style with cool menus and briefings and music and such. I only played the demo, but it didn't run well on my machine, not to mention some graphical issues. Someone borrowed my a copy years later, but it did not run on a modern system at all, so I stuck with Sturmovik.

Anyway, Microprose appears to be back and they have some impressive titles announced - they are not flight sims though. They are making a B-17 remake, but it's supposedly a VR game rather than a flight sim. Should be interesting, I can't play VR though 🤢. Hopefully with all the stuff they have lined up, they will make some money and maybe revive some other classics. Task Force Admiral and Sea Power are definite insta-buys for me, so if they turn out good, I'll be shilling all over the web about it. Also, Operation Harsh Doorstop is something they are publishing and it appears to be shaping nicely (free to play game, similar to Squad and Project Reality made by the one and only Bluedrake and his #community)

Edited by Mmaruda
  • 4 months later...

Somewhere, either on the forum or perhaps one of the online chats that Jason had in the past, he mentioned the possibility of a 1946 like version of BoX. No idea how serious he might have been about that but I think it would be a nice change of pace. I'm all for historical scenarios we have now but I do enjoy the what ifs of history too. First generation jets along side that of the late model versions of the planes we all know in the game now. SWOTL and Aces of the Pacific both did excellent (in their day) versions of those possible extended WWII themes. 

• Upvote 1

was EAW the sim that had HUGE plane counts in the missions? Actual legit missions with hundreds of bombers and stuff right? I remember at the time as a kid our family PC couldn't run it...and by the time I had a decent PC I moved on to IL2 Forgotten Battles.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

was EAW the sim that had HUGE plane counts in the missions? Actual legit missions with hundreds of bombers and stuff right? I remember at the time as a kid our family PC couldn't run it...and by the time I had a decent PC I moved on to IL2 Forgotten Battles.

Boy, I remember that. Hundreds. Still, with much, much lower graphics. I think doing thaf today would be  next to impossible.

• 3 months later...

I SO WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS!

I have been wanting a remake of this awesome game for years and I still hope that one day it is remade. I have fond memories of playing this game for hours and days on end and staying up till all hours of the night.

I use to have an Amiga 500 and 2000 (actually still have my 2000 in the garage) and I had the previous game Battle of Britain. I was so looking forward to Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe coming to the Amiga as the graphics would have been so much better.

But alas it never was ported over and it was the reason why I bought a PC for back then as I so wanted to play this game and that's how I ended up in the PC world.

I still have the original game on floppy disk, including all the tour of duties in their original boxes and complete with everything they originally came with. I also have the CD version as well which is complete. Plus I have the big book strategy guide that you could buy back then.

Who else remembers being able to buy those big books and strategy guides in the 90's for all popular games?

• Like 1