Your best sortie (single player).

• 2 weeks later...

In today's installment, I have a few shots to both confirm and debunk the 109's semi-mythical invincibility.

Starting with debunking:

20201120145310_1.thumb.jpg.c492b1f067b93b8dccf3c57666483cf9.jpg

13 rounds of .50

11 rounds of 20mm

From dead six, killed the pilot.

20201120155415_1.thumb.jpg.b46e69473aca268cc7decacdf547955c.jpg

~50-75 rounds of 20mm

Deflection shot in a turn. Both wings broken off, engine fire.

20201121143510_1.thumb.jpg.a49d795f140e7927c92f8632d16e30db.jpg

13 rounds of .50

10 rounds of 20mm

Wing strikes with the 20mm caused this 109 to crash about a minute later. The AI kept trying to fly straight, but would repeatedly wing over until it finally crashed.

20201122131623_1.thumb.jpg.bd48af7f1f22620a48fb6607d3901874.jpg

12 rounds of .50

9 rounds of 20mm

Dead pilot from dead six.

And now the oddity. I blew up an La-5 and its detached wing struck me; in terms of orientation, I flew into it as you would walk into a closed door. I thought it'd bend my prop at the least, but no.

20201122133907_1.thumb.jpg.90ac5fc1d9f6e4a09897fe9af3a0680d.jpg

I landed like this. If anyone can explain how my canopy got ripped off along with my rudder, with no other structural damage, I'd be much obliged. But on the plus side...

20201122133537_1.thumb.jpg.f3c582ed9cbbf7b971df77c70fbb7762.jpg

Who says the 109's cockpit has poor visibility? I am now convinced the Germans would've won WWII had they flown the 109 without a canopy.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally have only one rule in combat. And that rule is: fly nuts.

(not to be confused with the famous Star Wars line, 'fly casual')

Here are a few examples I, at least, find amusing:

20201210154457_1.thumb.jpg.55f178e72cf04b0877bf1e2aa1b4f989.jpg

I think flying Russian planes somehow contributes to my innate desire to almost ram targets.

20201210200756_1.thumb.jpg.9c77bad1aad7e25b3bb065d431dfd3f7.jpg

20201210201208_1.thumb.jpg.2e772094aff60741d51d7f100a2ef57d.jpg

20201210201327_1.thumb.jpg.bf741709d134154df767a697797d425c.jpg

The last 3 screens are from the same quick battle. I toyed with this crippled Tempest for 17 minutes. With my last 13 bullets, I finally shot him down.

Edited by oc2209
3 hours ago, ironk79 said:

Not long ago managed 13 kills until ran out of ammo in QMB 1vs1 in a 190A3 vs Yak (Ace - dont remember which variant). 

Impressive.

Given that all Yaks can turn inside even the A3 (the best non-D turner of the FW family), what was your preferred method of shooting them down?

I ask because I'm pretty much worthless if I can't outturn something. My only other method of shooting superior turners down is forcing a head-on pass; and that's not, of course, without peril.

2 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Impressive.

Given that all Yaks can turn inside even the A3 (the best non-D turner of the FW family), what was your preferred method of shooting them down?

I ask because I'm pretty much worthless if I can't outturn something. My only other method of shooting superior turners down is forcing a head-on pass; and that's not, of course, without peril.

Dont play their turn game at first, cut them off an try to get burst into them then extend. if you manage a good burst, most of the time this is already enough with 190s armament. But if they still keep flying, they arent that turn happy anymore, so you can join their turn game and finish them off (at least with AI).

I needed my time with 190, was playing 109 most of my time, but 190 is was always very intriguing. you get used to its character over time (esp. the high roll rate is very usefull ) but one has to be disiplined. 

Edited by ironk79
2 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

Dont play their turn game at first, cut them off an try to get burst into them then extend. if you manage a good burst, most of the time this is already enough with 190s armament. But if they still keep flying, they arent that turn happy anymore, so you can join their turn game and finish them off (at least with AI).

I needed my time with 190, was playing 109 most of my time, but 190 is was always very intriguing. you get used to its character over time (esp. the high rate of turn is very usefull ) but one has to be disiplined. 

Yeah, that's about what I imagined. As the saying goes, there are only so many ways to skin a cat. While I have flown the A3 a fair bit (enough to know it's my favorite of the A line), I wouldn't call myself a Fw expert by any means. I do know while it lacks sustained turning stability, it's perfectly fine for quick, short turns with enough power behind them. 

I just tried my own quick mode test with a Yak-9 and a 109F-4, versus 109F-4 and Yak-1 enemies, respectively. 1v1, spawn until ammo runs out. I shot down 3 with the Yak-9 (caused 2 more to crash during low-level maneuvers, but didn't actually shoot them), had a little over 50% ammo left for each gun, but after a half hour my fatigue was crippling. I could no longer turn to catch them.

In the 109F-4, the fight was easier, as I got 4 actual kills in the same amount of time. But after 29 minutes I was once again unable to keep up with the fresh AI in a turn. The fifth Yak was dead to rights, but I blacked out about 1 second before I was able to fire.

The new fatigue system is definitely hurting my sustained turning game. Which I guess is to be expected. In career mode this is slightly less problematic, since the AI behaves a little differently and tends to break out of turns more readily. At least it does if you have some wingmen still alive in the area. 1v1 it's probably identical to quick mode.

When i first tried my luck with the 190A3 i was to much using it as an energy fighter. While it def. is one, it still manages to turn in its own right, better than i initially assumed. There is always a time and a place. Since using it more, i did much better with it. The roll rate is great, scissors can be really usefull to get back into the game when you fucked up. But one thing is certain, you have to be very precise choosing the start of the dogfight. Its not as forgiving as in the 109. When you dont set the start right, things can drag and you really have to use all kind of stunts to get back into a favorable position.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:56 PM, ironk79 said:

But one thing is certain, you have to be very precise choosing the start of the dogfight. Its not as forgiving as in the 109. When you dont set the start right, things can drag and you really have to use all kind of stunts to get back into a favorable position.

Yes, I've found this out quickly. In an A-3, any mistakes in the initial attack will be prohibitively wasteful (of your endurance) versus a Yak.

I went back and tried another 109F-4 versus a respawning Yak-1. This time I got 7 kills in 37 minutes. Some of that time was waiting for 3 kills with oil leaks to finally seize up and crash. I expect that's about as well as I'll ever do in quicks. My A-3 performance is just not matching my 109 tally. Not versus Yaks, anyway.

Needless to say, I got zero kills with my machine guns; all kills were from the single cannon.

23 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Yes, I've found this out quickly. In an A-3, any mistakes in the initial attack will be prohibitively wasteful (of your endurance) versus a Yak.

I went back and tried another 109F-4 versus a respawning Yak-1. This time I got 7 kills in 37 minutes. Some of that time was waiting for 3 kills with oil leaks to finally seize up and crash. I expect that's about as well as I'll ever do in quicks. My A-3 performance is just not matching my 109 tally. Not versus Yaks, anyway.

Needless to say, I got zero kills with my machine guns; all kills were from the single cannon.

7 is quite OK, only one 20mm and less ammo on top. 190s big advantage is its armaments. 1 precise burst is all it takes a lot of times, at least it was with my 13 kill streak. The last Yak needed almost all the remaining MG rounds to bring it down afterthe  canons ran out of ammo.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a first, for me, in ~400 hours of BoX play:

20210110163003_1.thumb.jpg.dd58fe53be0b62b627561d48e76c0f51.jpg

A pilot killed outside the cockpit. I didn't quite see how it happened, but I'd set fire to a P-38. It then exploded about 20 seconds later, evidently close enough to the ejected pilot to kill him. I've never shot at a pilot in their parachute, so I had no idea it was even possible to kill them after they'd bailed. Besides when they hit the ground before their 'chute opens (I know it was possible to shoot them or their 'chute in earlier Sturmovik games).

For my second screen today, one of those 'oh, I'm screwed' moments:

20210110164030_1.thumb.jpg.7c36682d8a8f38215bbd4c146fd1bf24.jpg

I just decided to pick on P-38s for all my quick battles today. This was the only one that exploded in my face. I noticed they all lit up really easily, though; something I didn't notice as much before. I even managed to set one on fire with a 109F-4's machine guns. All told, I set fires with a Yak-9, a 9T, an La-5FN, a 109F-4 and G-6, a Bf-110, and a Spitfire. And that's with giving the P-38 a 50% fuel load.

Edited by oc2209

So yesterday I was in my Spit IX, against loads of 190A8's. I already had 8 kills, I was closing in on number 9 which I already damaged in significant fashion. It was only a matter of a few 20mm shells and it was going down. I thought I would have enough 20mm shells left afterwards for a 10th kills and there was a few 190s remaining. 

So...just when I was about to pull the trigger for the 9th kill, I got caught by a few hits and my engine caught on fire! Damn I told myself, I thought the few 190s left were busy elsewhere! I got wreckless now I gotta bail out! 

So this mission ended with me at 8 confirmed kills. And no, there was no 190 on my six, I got shot by a stupid Spitfire AI wingman who was supposed to cover me, not shoot me down while I trying to finish the 190 wreckage I was chasing. 

Im so TIRED of the AI and all the stupid things it pulls all the time. 

My best sortie was playing a game I call "Voss" in FC1VR: one Dr.1 versus five SE5A.  Here's the entire unedited sortie; all I did was jump back and forth between views I thought would best depict the action.

The first guy got his petrol tank holed and was steaming when he disengaged and ran for it.  I couldn't fixate on him; had to deal with his buddies.  (I got shot up pretty good a couple times, too.)  He ended up stuck in a muddy field with his engine running full blast until just as I was approaching to land; then it quit (out of fuel?) and I got credit for the victory but the pilot survived.

Of the other four: all fuel tanks punctured; three flamed; at least three pilots killed by gunfire.  

At this time, I was new to the blip switch; got distracted; misjudged the altitude and touched down while still slightly crabbed.  My mistake but it turned out okay.

The "Norton" I did in front of the hangar right before I shut down was intentional.  Goes back to my taildragger days.  When you know the wing sticks out beyond the pivot point further than the tail does, you can drive right up to your parking spot and spin it into position.  (Saves pushing it around to get it chained down.)  I call that a "Norton" because it was a favorite stunt of Robert "Norton" Thomas: famous jump pilot and (along with Steve Haley) co-originator of the now popular sport of Canopy Relative Work.  Norton would do that in his C-120 and C-195 every time he landed at the Antioch Drop Zone and parked alongside the hangars.  I thought it looked cool so I started doing it in my modified 1946 Luscombe 8E.  So it seemed only right for Werner do do it here.  :biggrin:

This was only my second video and for some reason it always starts in the middle.  Run the slider back to the start; it begins with a black screen and the word VOSS fades in and out.

Prosit!

"The Original" Todt Von Oben   :salute:

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
4 hours ago, Irishratticus72 said:

My best sortie in single player?

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?

I heard he was able to manipulate midiclorians enough to create damage out of .50. Then he died, like an idiot, killed by his rookie wingman in his sleep. However this rookie wingman became an ace without anyone noticing anything weird and managed to win the war by himself, destroying 10 000 enemy grounded planes with his new wingman because the enemy pilots were too busy doing nothing at their HQ's.

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe
On 8/17/2020 at 2:26 AM, Trooper117 said:

My best sortie... any mission when I get back in one piece!

Yes, 42 missions completed in BOS and now Kuban, 111 kills, and I'm still alive.  I rarely attack Pe-2s or Havocs from behind; always head on and always when armed with 3 cannon.

I got a 12 in my 262 career lately. We jettison'd our bombs and engaged b-25's near the frontline. I got 5. I tried to catch the rest of the pack afterwards and realised the remaining b-25's and their tempests (so sick of always fighting tempests) decided to turn back, go home and land. When I arrived at their airfield the few remaining b-25s had already landed but I caught 7 tempests while they were engaged in landing procedures.

Gotta love the irony of a 262 shooting down tempests while they were trying to land.

My favourite sorties are the ones where I manage to get shot up so badly that I can barely keep the aircraft level and the engine is on the verge of quitting but I manage to get home on minimal revs and make a controlled crash landing on the airfield.  This is particularly true when I fly a bomber.   Flying somewhere dropping your bombs and going home unscathed is boring but hitting the target and limping home with too few engines is great fun.

No, I am not into whips & chains. Why do you ask? 😄

15 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

My favourite sorties are the ones where I manage to get shot up so badly that I can barely keep the aircraft level and the engine is on the verge of quitting but I manage to get home on minimal revs and make a controlled crash landing on the airfield.  This is particularly true when I fly a bomber.   Flying somewhere dropping your bombs and going home unscathed is boring but hitting the target and limping home with too few engines is great fun.

No, I am not into whips & chains. Why do you ask? 😄

I agree, the one's I remember most are the ones I barely made it out of. I remember once running out of ammo in a Hurricane and having two 109s chase me around the streets of Stalingrad while it was being shelled, another coming to at 500 feet with an engine on fire after being shot by my wingman (once I got out of the hospital I requested a transfer).

• Like 1

I had a great mission tonight in the Lullaby P-51 campaign...mission 6 I believe. Anyways we bombed the German base at Venlo and I destroyed a hangar, then a dogfight over the base ensues with heavy AA and flak. The sun is setting, and I downed two FW D9 and two Me-262 that showed up to land with lights on. After a while, Im running low on ammo and my wingman left me so I decide to head home. The sun is now on the horizon and going down. The search lights at the field are now on. Two D9s follow me back for miles and catch me as soon as I get over friendly territory. It is now dusk and the sun has set. Friendly search lights are out and I am evading both FW and fthe friendly flak and AA downs one of them. I head back towards base again and reach another town with searchlights and friendly AA with the other D9 still chasing me. He catches me, but I evade. After a few rounds of chicken I get a few hits in, but he does too and now I'm damaged. I keep evading and finally look back as I'm flying him into flak and watch flak get him. He explodes, then flutters out of control and crashes. I head back to base in the dark all alone and land. What a mission that was!

Edited by drewm3i-VR
  • Like 1

I remember playing as a Blue Squadron member in career. It was one of those missions you have to go and cover some ground forces that are like 500000 kilometers away....

We arrive to the "objective zone" and start patrolling for enemies. Suddenly some Migs appear and we start fighting.

After few minutes, my teammates start flying home, but I make the mistake to keep fighting a lone (or that was what I thought) Mig.

After shoting it down, I head home and start level flight at top-tree level.

Suddenly I see some tracers flying above my canopy but I thought it was my imagination (tho I checked my 6, I saw nothing). Several seconds later, I see tracers above my canopy again and then I was sure this time it wasn't my imagination. I check my 6 again and there were 3 Migs behind me, at really very close distance. I was flying low and kinda slow so I thought I was dead.

I then decided to fight them, thinking I would die anyway. 

Somehow, I managed to shot down one and damage 2 of them, forcing them to leave me (those basterds refuse to leave you easily!) and RTB.

But that was not the most exciting part, but the fact that after that I was totally lost and disoriented (I play with no icons on map, it makes the career more exciting). Plus, I was running out of fuel.

Well the thing is, I finally managed to reach home and land safely with my 109E7 with not even a single scratch, but with the "low fuel warning light" ON for during several minutes, after doing a "marvelous" use of my "navigation knowledge", lol. 

It was really an exciting mission, maybe it's not big deal, but I still remember it after several months.

Oh, I forgot to add, while fighting them before my teammates left, I shot down 4 Migs, so I became "ace in one day" for the first time after all, which make everything quite better.

Edited by MasserME262
some bad grammar and typos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I recently started a PE-2 campaign on Kuban flying with one of the Naval Squadrons at Adler, south of Sochi. Its probably based the absolute furthest away possible but I thought it would give me plenty of practice with perfecting level flight. My first successful mission started at 20:30hrs with individual take offs. The navigation to the target, Gostagaevskaya, was easy thanks to nice big coast line to follow with plenty of land marks and day light. I was slow to arrive at the area because I hadn't realised that the flaps weren't fully up! On arrival over the target there was still two friendly's dropping bombs, there was no AAA returning fire and after the mission I could see that this had all be taken out by the 'first wave'. I've been practicing level bombing and tried giving this ago, lining up a group of intact buildings, my bombs sailed over the target and stuck the run way, probably missing by a few hundred metres... but that was the easy part. I strafed the parked aircraft a couple of times but didn't do enough damage to blow any up.

I satisfied myself with the thought that the bombers were at least temporarily out of action and that my craters would impede operational flights for a few hours and turned for home. And this is where it got real interesting. The next waypoint was well in land, the bridge at Saratovskaya which is a little town south-east of Krasnodar. By this time it was getting really dark and I was having to navigate by instruments alone as apart from a few lakes early on in the leg there was nothing to see. I was really lucky and managed to hit the way point almost on the nose, the river was still visible in the moonlight and the islands helped confirm where I was.

On the last leg I had to get over the mountains on the way and was running low on fuel so had to manage that too. Once I got near enough the Bendix kicked in, unfortunately it pulled me towards the wrong airfield! I carried on along the coast, past Sochi and eventually found home. The fires and flares helped guide me in to my first landing in the pitch dark, although while manoeuvring in the valley without any sense of where the hills were I fully expected to fly into a cliff or hill. The landing was heavy and I pranged the right hand propeller, but we survived.

So missed my targets, got lost because of the Bendix, nearly ran out of fuel and wrote off a prop. But it was a success to me because overall my navigation and night flying didn't get me killed!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Iron Man career, recon plane intercept sortie, Stalingrad.

While blindly looking around for the recon plane I'm supposed to intercept, I'm bounced by 9(!) La-5s. I'm in a solo flight, and I'm not expecting that much enemy activity (I normally don't do recon intercepts). I'm in a 109F-4. There are two friendly G-2s in the area that aren't part of my flight. That's all. They engage the recon plane and I'm left alone with the La-5s.

I bring the La-5s down to the ground and circle at 60% throttle, waiting for opportunities to attack. I never stop turning, unless to recover my G-endurance. At those rest times, I'm most vulnerable, and the AI once managed to fire on either side of my nose before I broke. Dumb luck that I wasn't hit. In a previous sortie, in similar circumstances, a cannon-armed I-16 flamed me; I managed to gun what was left of the engine to reach 900 feet before bailing out. 

Back to the La-5 sortie. I shoot down 6, 2 crash for unknown reasons, and one disengages with minor machine gun damage to it (out of cannon ammo at that point).

La-5s are strange. The AI regularly destroys my flight with them, but I don't find them a significant challenge. Case in point, I once attacked a flight of 5 Yak-1s, solo, and only managed to shoot down one before my engine was hit and I had to force land. Yaks are definitely more of a handful. At least, in AI hands.

In other news, this is why I reflexively break after shooting down a plane, even if no one is around:

20210214215244_1.thumb.jpg.26b6c8309a6f5b27a336b6b4a7e98a5c.jpg

The tracers running across the top of the screen are also meant for me. Two Spits on me. The white descending trail is a P-47 I just shot down.

Laugh at AI aiming all you want, but this is what happens when the AI fails to evade other AI:

20210214194749_1.thumb.jpg.bc16710e40c120719085ecd6ff9bfef2.jpg

You know it's bad when even P-47s are in on the action.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The ones verses human pilots are the best!

Mine was in a TAW mission a few seasons ago. One of the Russian winter maps huge fur ball, I got a single kill and was running home hugging the deck smoking when I picked up a spitfire on my tail.

No ammo, low on fuel, plane in a bad shape - last resort was to bail! WAIT! I had one more trick up my sleeve. I waited for the perfect opportunity:

1. slowed down when thought only his .303s were left
  2. leveled out and let him closer
  3. ejected my canopy
  4. BOOM! It hit his propeller and he crashed
  5. made it back to base

1 in a million shot!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

Just finished my best sortie not only as a russian but as an allied fighter.

11x kills. 5x G4s and 6x HS129s

Yak 7B, very early in the Kuban campaign. The UBS MGs are so powerful its ridiculous. It cuts 129s like a knife through hot butter. 

Congrats are definitely in order. My record Russian high in a career sortie is, I believe, 3 109G4s and 2 Hs-129s. While flying a Yak-9 Series 1. I can only reach 10+ kills in a Tempest, a Fw-190D, or a 109. And I haven't gotten that many since the AI improvements. 5-7 is my best since those. This is on hard career difficulty.

Funnily enough, I don't like the Yak-7, don't do well with it. My only successful Yak is the 9 and to a lesser extent, the 9T. My favorite 9T story is missing all 30 cannon rounds trying to shoot down a Ju-88 recon plane from a safe distance (their .30s can flame my engine from a stupidly long range--again, defensive gunner AI on hard), then in a fit of desperation and anger, emptying my lone .50's ammo afterwards. Set the Ju-88's engine on fire. Who needs cannon?

6 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:
  1. ejected my canopy
  2. BOOM! It hit his propeller and he crashed
  3. made it back to base

1 in a million shot!

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I've come close to hitting canopies before, but never been shot down by one. Needless to say, I would be... displeased in the event it happened to me.

• Upvote 2

@oc2209

My best sortie in a Yak before in a career was 6x 109s. In a Yak 1. The UBS MGs make all the difference in the world. Honestly I think the UBS is overpowered right now. The he129s were known to be tough sob's but I got 3 with only 100 rounds left (no cannon). No pilot kill. Just badly damaged bomber which simply couldnt fly anymore. We dont want this topic to turn into a DM debate but I honestly think right now that 2x UBS MGs outpowers 8x .50 M2 MGs, its just that ridiculous. You should not be able to down 11x enemies in a Yak 7Bs.

About the plane itself, feels different from a Yak 1 for sure. A bit longer, heavier, I think the engine is slightly improved too. I was a bit shocked the first time I flew it when I managed to stall it when the Yaks are usually the most forgiving fighters around. Its also a tad faster than the Yak 1. Overall after 4 or 5 missions Im pretty much used to it and love it but obviously you have to be more wary of your maneuvers especially at low speed than other Yaks.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Congrats are definitely in order. My record Russian high in a career sortie is, I believe, 3 109G4s and 2 Hs-129s. While flying a Yak-9 Series 1. I can only reach 10+ kills in a Tempest, a Fw-190D, or a 109. And I haven't gotten that many since the AI improvements. 5-7 is my best since those. This is on hard career difficulty.

Funnily enough, I don't like the Yak-7, don't do well with it. My only successful Yak is the 9 and to a lesser extent, the 9T. My favorite 9T story is missing all 30 cannon rounds trying to shoot down a Ju-88 recon plane from a safe distance (their .30s can flame my engine from a stupidly long range--again, defensive gunner AI on hard), then in a fit of desperation and anger, emptying my lone .50's ammo afterwards. Set the Ju-88's engine on fire. Who needs cannon?

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I've come close to hitting canopies before, but never been shot down by one. Needless to say, I would be... displeased in the event it happened to me.

I wish the guy I that hit it would chime in - I saved the recording but lost in a HD crash last month.

5 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

@oc2209

My best sortie in a Yak before in a career was 6x 109s. In a Yak 1. The UBS MGs make all the difference in the world. Honestly I think the UBS is overpowered right now. The he129s were known to be tough sob's but I got 3 with only 100 rounds left (no cannon). No pilot kill. Just badly damaged bomber which simply couldnt fly anymore. We dont want this topic to turn into a DM debate but I honestly think right now that 2x UBS MGs outpowers 8x .50 M2 MGs, its just that ridiculous. You should not be able to down 11x enemies in a Yak 7Bs.

I manage to down, with some regularity, P-47s with ~15 rounds from my single UBS; all wing strikes. I can see this happening (barely) with a 109, but not a 47. I never aim for the outer wings or tail with an Hs-129, though. I either aim for the cockpit or one engine. I never bother to damage both engines, since the plane's so underpowered, it's guaranteed to drop if you cripple one engine. Albeit it might drop in one piece, thereby depriving you of a kill credit.

If you imagine 8 UBS in a P-47... yeah. Targets would disintegrate in one short burst. If M2s were half as strong as UBSs, that'd be about right.

All that aside, you're clearly a good shot anyway.

My ability to get kills consistently with Russian guns is what differentiates my kill counts with Russian careers versus German careers. I'm consistent with German guns; less so with Russian. I think German 13mm are almost the equivalent in killing power to UBS. I actually prefer the German, personally. Mainly because it carries more ammo wherever it's used. But it's an excellent pilot killer and it cripples planes like Spitfires very easily. 

For the record, my longest Russian career has 41 sorties, with 80 kills. This is flying only Yaks. Well, MiGs before Yaks became available. So mostly Yaks. 

By contrast, my longest German career is 80 sorties, with 345 kills. Exclusively flying the 109. All settings equal.

My longest British career is 22 sorties, with 60 kills. In the Tempest. I wouldn't get that many in a Spitfire.

• Upvote 1

@oc2209

About ironman careers for me.... Im still grieving my Moscow IL2 career. I was close to reaching 40 sorties, I died during an head on with a 109. I joined the fight instead of going home after a succesful ground attack. Greed kills.

About the tempest ironman career, hahaha, got obliterated by AAA in the very first mission.

I decided to avoid ironman careers for a while based on the fact that often, a wingman will actually be your doom because the friendly AI ignores you like you didnt exist when they engage an enemy. How many times have I been badly damaged by friendly fire or even rammed by a friend at my six.

I would destroy my computed if I'd lose a successfull ironman career because of an idiot AI who was actually ordered to cover me, not kill me while trying to steal my kill!

So I play normal careers but try to avoid at all cost being captured or dying like if it was ironman. If it happens well I restart the mission but take myself out of this mission and replace myself with the highest officer still available. Good thing because yesterday I was rammed by a fellow 190A5 while trying to finish a P-39. I died. I was already pissed off big time. Imagine if it was a successful ironman career. 

I might start another ironman the day I'll feel like the wingmen arent an hindrance anymore or at best decoys.

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe
On 8/18/2020 at 3:49 PM, oc2209 said:

This probably won't be topped. Obviously 4 in multi is still impressive, as well.

I've also discovered that the Hartmann method is effective; and like him, I trained myself to reflexively break the moment after I fire (the break is usually necessary anyway, to avoid collision). Many aces got into trouble by watching their kill's death-dive. I figure with the 20mm at close range, I've either crippled the plane such that it'll be forced to leave the area, or I've struck it fatally. There's a near-zero chance any plane can take ~10 cannon shells in its fuselage/tail and still dogfight afterwards.

I started out with Stalingrad and Bodenplatte, then recently bought Moscow and Kuban. With all my ducks in a row, I only last week started a 109 career that I intend to play all the way through the war. So I'm still quite stuck in Moscow (in December '41). I'm really looking forward to using the G6 in Kuban, but that's a long way off.

I still haven't learned how to get kills with the 7.92mm guns. I keep trying to get cockpit strikes in turns, but it never works out. Thus I do want the 13mm upgrade. I wish we could pull a Galland move, and have 13mm added to the F series as a custom mod; if you are in command, and a high-scoring ace (i.e, famous enough to have some sway), the game would make the option available for your plane only.

Ive been doing the hartmann method without knowing about the man. Seems common sense.  

I have also noticed that long bursts can actually make the entire nose of the 190 A8 lift up and make the cross hair move up 1 horizontal line off target.  And firing at short range is alot easier then trying to do deflection shooting in the single plane on plane setup.  Do the one you can chase after two flights of two planes, and it gets soooo much easier.