Jump to content

Your best sortie (single player).


Recommended Posts

A search for a similarly titled thread yielded nothing, so I'm making one.

 

Alright, boys and girls: get ready to have your virtual egos inflated or deflated by sharing your best kill scores. Or, share your best story of harrowing combat, trick flying, or forced landings, regardless of your score.

 

To make a 'claim,' a screenshot is preferred but not required. Also specify your combat difficulty settings. I don't care whether you cheat with navigation or engine management, but anything that applies to combat (including but not limited to: icons over enemies, realistic blackout, plane handling, etc) should be mentioned for the sake of honesty and clarity. Of secondary importance is career difficulty.

 

Also specify your plane's weapon loadout (extra ammo, extra guns, fewer guns, etc) at the time.

 

The following is my career high:

 

recordKillsCrop.thumb.jpg.539149b9f7c94b7c8a8ae6b16ac34250.jpg

 

And yes, my German name is awful. Moving on.

 

I had no extra weapons. My only modification was the removal of the headrest. Full combat difficulty, with the exception of gun jamming being turned off. All my kills were MiG-3s. Career difficulty: hard. 

 

Fun note: all those pilots except for Schmitz were killed within 20 sorties of this one. The only reason he isn't dead, is that I purposely never fly with him; he leads all-AI sorties instead. I've also lost probably a dozen replacement pilots in the entire 29 sortie (so far) career, besides almost all the originals. In short: hard mode is good for me (more enemies spawn, maybe?), but bad for my wingmen. That no one died in the above sortie is most likely because I shot down so many planes so quickly. Needless to say, this is not a typical performance. At best I averaged 3.75 kills per sortie, but that inevitably drops due to fatigue. What? I'm serious. I get punch-drunk like the Red Baron and start doing stupid things.

Edited by oc2209
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

My best sortie... any mission when I get back in one piece!

That's not always easy when friendly AA does this to you:

 

20200816142522_1.thumb.jpg.22aa355c1cb19f10d34e66809bad7a58.jpg

 

I swear they never paste enemy fighters this badly, but they got me while I was chasing a MiG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8kills.thumb.png.a3b9bc1c460f2e58b8677c1cc6c0c3c5.png

Quick mission, 1 Fw-190D-9 vs 8 P-47D-28 (I usually play vs Ace, but I think I downscaled it to Veteran this time).

Starting from runway with the Thunderbolts 10km away at 3000m.

Everything realistic, except that I use padlock as I don't have TrackIR.

 

If non-combat skills are taken into account, my best sortie must be the one where I landed a MiG without elevator and engines. I intercepted a flight of He-111s, shot one down but got my elevator controls shot up by their defensive guns. I can usually do a decent job controlling a plane's attitude with just the throttle, so I decided to try and attempt to fly back to base. Halfway there, either my engine gave out from combat damage or I ran out of fuel because of a leak, can't remember exactly. Anyhow, I found myself without any traditional way to control my MiG's attitude. Luckily, I had found out in the meantime that I could do just that with the MiG's flaps. Prior to one of the last updates, they worked kind of like the "magic" flaps of the Yak, except that you could set the flap angle beforehand. Whenever you extended the flaps, the nose dropped, and given enough speed, if you retracted the flaps the nose went up again. So I put them at a rather modest setting of ~20%, enough to be able to slowly and smoothly control the attitude by extending and retracting my flaps while not enough to significantly slow the plane down, and set course to the nearest airfield. I didn't extend the landing gear, but considering the circumstances the landing was pretty smooth.

 

Pity they recently changed the way the MiG's flaps work😢

 

1 hour ago, oc2209 said:

the exception of gun jamming being turned off.

I think gun jamming only works on FC. I can't remember ever having experienced a jam in a WW2 aircraft, while on FC I get them all the time.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
Link to post
Share on other sites

Post DM change I cannot bring down more than three in one sortie, and that is one hell of a sortie if i can do that.  of course, I am neither a great pilot nor a good shot. i succeed best when I maintain discipline and hold my fire until point blank.

 

My most memorable sorties are the ones where I got out of trouble.  I had one where I shot down an IL2 and got hit in the nose with a chunk of his tail.  Engine came to an immediate stop.  I had altitude and headed towards a base.  i managed to stretch the glide just long enough to come in wheels down on the runway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I play very casualy and just want to enjoy easy dogfights.

So lowest AI difficulty, Icons on for a second just to find general position of enemy planes, then off.

Flying Spitfire Mk.IX against 109 G-6 (6 vs 11)

This was before improved pilot physiology update so curently on par with simplified option (and It's right after DM update two years ago). Simple engine management and no gun jamming.

Editor mission built so that only small group on enemy planes is after me, while the larger group has set highest priority to go after the other group of spits.

And luckily non of my AI teammates didn't shoot down anyone.

 

2018_12_6__14_33_3.jpg

Edited by Ouky1991
Link to post
Share on other sites

I play on "Hard" difficulty, Iron Man, but my ground density is set to "Low" for performance reasons.

I also have "Simplified Physiology" checked (because I believe the excessive blackouts deprive this game of a lot of skill that's involved in flying "on the edge", by lowering everybody's skill to the lowest common denominator that's determined only by the hardcoded "rookie level" physiology).

Below screenshot is from my Winter Bf109-G2 campaign where I flew with the attached gunpods. That's what I like about the German planes: they have much more ammo than their Russian counterparts, which leads me to believe this score would not have been possible with guns-only-equipped Yak (prove me wrong).

 

CachedImage_3840_2160_POS4.jpg

I forgot to mention: I play purely by instruments and in-cockpit timers (except for Yaks which don't have any timers), which means ALL computer aids are turned off.

I sincerely encourage other people to fly in such manner as well, because I found it elevates my satisfaction and enjoyment immensely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My best was something like 5 kills in a 109F, don't really keep track.

 

My all time favorite, a relocation sortie in an I-16, Battle of Moscow. I was in a four ship flight, tasked with relocating to an eastern base closer to the city. 45 minutes of open cockpit formation flying at cloud level during a sunset. Nothing to report during the flight and I landed at dusk will all my rounds nestled in their belts.

 

By the gods it was sublime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

If non-combat skills are taken into account, my best sortie must be the one where I landed a MiG without elevator and engines.

 

That's some skill indeed. I admit I'd probably give up and just hit the silk.

 

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Post DM change I cannot bring down more than three in one sortie, and that is one hell of a sortie if i can do that.  of course, I am neither a great pilot nor a good shot. i succeed best when I maintain discipline and hold my fire until point blank.

 

My most memorable sorties are the ones where I got out of trouble.  I had one where I shot down an IL2 and got hit in the nose with a chunk of his tail.  Engine came to an immediate stop.  I had altitude and headed towards a base.  i managed to stretch the glide just long enough to come in wheels down on the runway.

 

My best was 3 when I first started, but repetition made me improve. It reminds me of various anecdotes of pilots and athletes (like batting in baseball, in particular), where future aces/MVPs have slow starts until everything suddenly 'clicks' at the right moment. That said, my ability to hit accurately with deflection shooting is extremely unscientific. Thus it's mood-based and highly variable.

 

And yes, getting hit by debris is almost unavoidable sometimes, and the greatest drawback to the point-blank firing method. I've since tried to change my tactics against Sturmoviks. My first goal was to hit the radiator, but that only induces a slow death that might not guarantee a confirmed kill. Then I moved on to aiming for the tail, but that leaves broken chunks to fly at you. My new preferred method is to kill the pilot with a 20mm shell.

 

7 hours ago, Ouky1991 said:

I play very casualy and just want to enjoy easy dogfights.

So lowest AI difficulty, Icons on for a second just to find general position of enemy planes, then off.

Flying Spitfire Mk.IX against 109 G-6 (6 vs 11)

 

I'm pretty certain I couldn't get that many kills with wing guns on any difficulty setting, so bravo on your gunnery.

 

7 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

That's what I like about the German planes: they have much more ammo than their Russian counterparts, which leads me to believe this score would not have been possible with guns-only-equipped Yak (prove me wrong).

 

Yes, and not only that, but the fact that Russian guns fire a little faster than German, means that poor aiming is commensurately punished with more ammo wastage. I actually prefer relatively low rates of fire for any guns (this includes even first person shooter games).

 

4 hours ago, 40plus said:

My all time favorite, a relocation sortie in an I-16, Battle of Moscow. I was in a four ship flight, tasked with relocating to an eastern base closer to the city. 45 minutes of open cockpit formation flying at cloud level during a sunset. Nothing to report during the flight and I landed at dusk will all my rounds nestled in their belts.

 

I must admit, I have the I-16 but have never flown it outside of quick mode. I should try it in career mode. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beat my old record today. 8 kills. Again, all MiGs. It was actually an 'intercept ground attack planes' sortie, but I ignored the Sturmoviks to conserve ammo.

 

The thing is, I only remember shooting down 6 planes. I damaged two others (with cannon hits), but neither appeared fatal. Interestingly, one of my kills followed me back to base (which I never observed; it didn't matter anyway, as I had zero ammo left). As you can see on the map, he went in very close to my airfield. Did he crash while attempting to strafe me after I'd landed? I wasn't watching, because I got up and left the computer for a while after I landed; I was hoping that more planes that I'd damaged would crash, and sure enough some did. But not the way I imagined.

 

I guess it would have served me right, to be fatally strafed while greedily waiting for more kills to roll in.

 

20200817162855_1.thumb.jpg.76a1a7cdc696d7e2febf831e88a50e0c.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The following is easily my best kill in terms of comedic value. I was angry that most of my 20mm was spent and he wouldn't go down, so I rammed.

 

Also, the pilot in the Yak is the new woman version. Feel free to insert your best 'woman driver' caption. I know those jokes went out of style last century, but -- *gets pelted by various rotting produce*

 

20200817223935_1.thumb.jpg.3acaa964d2ae2bf859611624efbb6a47.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this is my overall record for one singleplayer flight.
I generally follow the Hartmann school of firing practically at point blank range, and also have ~1200 hours in the various 109 types so that certainly helps.
(Also for this flight like 10 of the kills were P-39s which is practically like clubbing seals in a 109)
My best for multiplayer is a comparatively low 4 kills in a sortie.

449841208_HartmannMethod.thumb.jpg.f689d15558973ba80732c408baa0d8e9.jpg

On expert settings (with the exception of engine management) with career difficulty set to moderate and frontline set to dense.
In the Bf-109 G4 over Kuban, only mod was the armored glass headrest.

Edited by Ram399
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ram399 said:

I believe this is my overall record for one singleplayer flight.
I generally follow the Hartmann school of firing practically at point blank range, and also have ~1200 hours in the various 109 types so that certainly helps.
(Also for this flight like 10 of the kills were P-39s which is practically like clubbing seals in a 109)
My best for multiplayer is a comparatively low 4 kills in a sortie.

[photo here]

On expert settings (with the exception of engine management) with career difficulty set to moderate and frontline set to dense.
In the Bf-109 G4 over Kuban, only mod was the armored glass headrest.

 

This probably won't be topped. Obviously 4 in multi is still impressive, as well.

 

I've also discovered that the Hartmann method is effective; and like him, I trained myself to reflexively break the moment after I fire (the break is usually necessary anyway, to avoid collision). Many aces got into trouble by watching their kill's death-dive. I figure with the 20mm at close range, I've either crippled the plane such that it'll be forced to leave the area, or I've struck it fatally. There's a near-zero chance any plane can take ~10 cannon shells in its fuselage/tail and still dogfight afterwards.

 

I started out with Stalingrad and Bodenplatte, then recently bought Moscow and Kuban. With all my ducks in a row, I only last week started a 109 career that I intend to play all the way through the war. So I'm still quite stuck in Moscow (in December '41). I'm really looking forward to using the G6 in Kuban, but that's a long way off.

 

I still haven't learned how to get kills with the 7.92mm guns. I keep trying to get cockpit strikes in turns, but it never works out. Thus I do want the 13mm upgrade. I wish we could pull a Galland move, and have 13mm added to the F series as a custom mod; if you are in command, and a high-scoring ace (i.e, famous enough to have some sway), the game would make the option available for your plane only.

Edited by oc2209
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, oc2209 said:

I started out with Stalingrad and Bodenplatte, then recently bought Moscow and Kuban. With all my ducks in a row, I only last week started a 109 career that I intend to play all the way through the war.


I've done the same thing with II./JG 52, its been quite a ride thus far.  My abilities with the 109 have improved dramatically I must say.
 

43 minutes ago, oc2209 said:

I still haven't learned how to get kills with the 7.92mm guns.


The MG-17s are only reliably good for ranging the 20mm lol, but occasionally I'll get lucky pilot kills or set fires with them if I hit the wings enough.
While the upgrade to the 13mms in the G6 is pretty great in terms of killing power, I've found that the handling penalty for the increased weight and drag outweigh the benefits- though the same came be said of every 109 model post F4 with the exception of the G14 and K4.

Edited by Ram399
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, oc2209 said:

That's some skill indeed. I admit I'd probably give up and just hit the silk.

Thanks. I kinda like bringing home damaged planes. Gives me at least as much satisfaction as shooting baddies down.

 

Also nice is this one that happened only yesterday:

wingless.thumb.jpg.048e2eaff661d7294df832d8e2aad0a5.jpg

It isn't the very best of pics, but those wings are not the size or number they oughta be. I was a bit too greedy following my prey down, ~500m, when suddenly all my wings snapped off, leaving me with just the bit you see, the half upper wing or so. Even I would have normally bailed in such a hopeless situation, but as you may know, them damn things don't pack any parachutes.

 

Luckily, the wings had broken off rather symmetrically so the plane didn't have any particular tendency to roll towards one side while the little stubs of wings I still had did at least give some lift. So I decided to fly on towards the ground in a 20-30deg or so angle, keeping my speed high to get as much lift as I could. Very gentle movements with my rudder (I obviously didn't have any ailerons) to keep the bird level as any spin or roll would have been the end of it. Pulled up hard at the last second and landed pretty roughly, although the plane nicely skid along the fields and remained intact and upright until the very end, the pilot still alright. Phew 😨

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee, I feel embarrassed a bit, the most I shot down was 5 during a scripted P40 mission created by the devs for BOM (3 Bf 110 and 2 109). I also shot down 4 I-16s during a mission of a scripted campaign (10 days of autumn). As far as career mode goes, I shot down 4 with the FW190A3, the Tempest (all FW190A8) and the P-51. I fly with custom settings (which includes no aiming assist, no padlock, no alternate visibility; I also prefer to fly with complex physiology and of course limited ammo & fuel). I use a moderate level of difficulty.  Nothing to write home about I guess, but still, those missions were exciting.

 

Just as a reference, the pilots with the most kills in a day during WW2 were Marseille (17) and Lang (18), but they got those kills flying more than just one mission. The most kills during a single mission was 13 (Rudorffer).  

 

I'm not a big fan of wiki, but here is a list of all the aces in a day during both world wars. Over claiming was a major issue on all sides, but those are the (not so) "official" numbers

 

Hartmann became an ace in a day 5 times during the single month of August 1943. The numbers can't all be confirmed.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviators_who_became_ace_in_a_day<

 

Re : % of claims that can be certified, here is again a wiki link, about Marseille; go to the "dispute over claims " section and then do your own research if you want. As a Canadian, I am proud to say that Edwards is the exception with a 100% confirmation rate. German records give him even more kills than "officially" recorded. (22 vs 19 or 15). but he never became an ace in a day. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Joachim_Marseille#Dispute_over_claims

Edited by Cleo9
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ram399 said:

The MG-17s are only reliably good for ranging the 20mm lol, but occasionally I'll get lucky pilot kills or set fires with them if I hit the wings enough.

While the upgrade to the 13mms in the G6 is pretty great in terms of killing power, I've found that the handling penalty for the increased weight and drag outweigh the benefits- though the same came be said of every 109 model post F4 with the exception of the G14 and K4.

 

Just tonight I came up under a MiG-3 and hit its radiator with my machine guns. Set it on fire instantly. But that's a 1 in 100 chance to come in at the correct angle and speed to line up said shot. 

 

As for the 13mm, I was curious just how much weight it'd add to a 109-F series; and it turns out they weigh very little. According to Wikipedia, the MG 17 weighs 22 pounds, while the MG 131 weighs 37 pounds; the latter was one of the lightest 13mm guns in the war, according to the article. If these numbers are to be trusted, then a combined increase of 30 pounds for both guns is entirely negligible. I have no idea how much more the 13mm ammo would weigh than the 7.92mm, but it couldn't be a huge difference.

 

Also, Adolf Galland's personal armorer was able to make the custom 'beulen' much smaller than the factory ones that were employed later. Beyond that, the concept of the K's refined cowling could certainly have been used with the F's frame (assuming the F series remained in production, of course). I'm really not sure what the logic was in allowing the bumps to be in production as long as they were. Expedient, maybe, but rather crude. 

 

My understanding of the G's weight bloating wasn't due to its guns, but rather the overall reinforcement of its entire airframe. Particularly to accommodate a heavier engine. Which then necessitated heavier landing gear, which then begat the wing bumps. I would also imagine that the 30mm hub cannon would have required structural reinforcement due to recoil. Not sure on that, however.

9 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Luckily, the wings had broken off rather symmetrically so the plane didn't have any particular tendency to roll towards one side while the little stubs of wings I still had did at least give some lift. So I decided to fly on towards the ground in a 20-30deg or so angle, keeping my speed high to get as much lift as I could. Very gentle movements with my rudder (I obviously didn't have any ailerons) to keep the bird level as any spin or roll would have been the end of it. Pulled up hard at the last second and landed pretty roughly, although the plane nicely skid along the fields and remained intact and upright until the very end, the pilot still alright. Phew 😨

 

Yeah, I've had a handful of incidents like that. In war (even virtual), it's definitely as exhilarating to survive as it is to kill. You're also much more likely to wistfully recall the time you went into a treeline at 150mph and survived, rather than scoring your 150th kill.

 

8 hours ago, Cleo9 said:

Gee, I feel embarrassed a bit, the most I shot down was 5 during a scripted P40 mission created by the devs for BOM (3 Bf 110 and 2 109).

 

Just as a reference, the pilots with the most kills in a day during WW2 were Marseille (17) and Lang (18), but they got those kills flying more than just one mission. The most kills during a single mission was 13 (Rudorffer).  

 

I'm not a big fan of wiki, but here is a list of all the aces in a day during both world wars. Over claiming was a major issue on all sides, but those are the (not so) "official" numbers

 

Hartmann became an ace in a day 5 times during the single month of August 1943. The numbers can't all be confirmed.

 

Nah, nothing to be embarrassed about. For one thing, everyone flies with different equipment and PC settings and framerates. That can make a pretty significant difference in several areas.

 

As for overclaiming, it's hard to say. On one hand, every nation had a point in the war where it would have been perfectly justifiable (for morale reasons) to officially allow questionable claims. On the other hand, it seems like personal pride/honor prevented most pilots from intentionally overclaiming. So then it's a matter of accidental overclaiming; in which case it's logical to assume that most nations would allow overclaiming to the same extent, since the major nations had pretty similar standards for claims. The fact that the Germans (and to a lesser extent the Japanese and Finns) have far and away the highest scores can be attributed to many factors besides overclaiming, I believe.

 

For one, the Germans and Japanese began the war with a decisive training edge over most of their opponents. The Germans not only had training but proven combat tactics that were years ahead of the entire rest of the world. Couple these advantages with exceptional aircraft designs like the 109, FW-190, and Zero--all of which were absolutely top tier fighters in the world up until 1943--and target rich environments where the majority of opponents were less experienced, using obsolete interwar tactics in many cases, and flying marginally inferior planes...

 

...add all that up, and I think you have the potential for a small number of exceptionally talented pilots to legitimately accrue massive scores. Shaving off a few dozen of the scores ultimately doesn't diminish the veracity of the accomplishments, in my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Nah, nothing to be embarrassed about. For one thing, everyone flies with different equipment and PC settings and framerates. That can make a pretty significant difference in several areas.

 

As for overclaiming, it's hard to say. On one hand, every nation had a point in the war where it would have been perfectly justifiable (for morale reasons) to officially allow questionable claims. On the other hand, it seems like personal pride/honor prevented most pilots from intentionally overclaiming. So then it's a matter of accidental overclaiming; in which case it's logical to assume that most nations would allow overclaiming to the same extent, since the major nations had pretty similar standards for claims. The fact that the Germans (and to a lesser extent the Japanese and Finns) have far and away the highest scores can be attributed to many factors besides overclaiming, I believe.

 

For one, the Germans and Japanese began the war with a decisive training edge over most of their opponents. The Germans not only had training but proven combat tactics that were years ahead of the entire rest of the world. Couple these advantages with exceptional aircraft designs like the 109, FW-190, and Zero--all of which were absolutely top tier fighters in the world up until 1943--and target rich environments where the majority of opponents were less experienced, using obsolete interwar tactics in many cases, and flying marginally inferior planes...

 

...add all that up, and I think you have the potential for a small number of exceptionally talented pilots to legitimately accrue massive scores. Shaving off a few dozen of the scores ultimately doesn't diminish the veracity of the accomplishments, in my mind.

 

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, but my PC runs smoothly at max settings, so I guess I'm just a poor shot, lol 😄. Well, that's not really true, in fact I'm quite good at deflection shots, but I'm an average virtual pilot; you gotta know how to handle those planes and I'm still learning. Regarding over-claiming, the average level of corroboration is between 50-80 % for exceptional pilots, at least in North Africa, so depending on the pilot, it's more than just a few kills you need to subtract. In the case of Marseille , with a level of corroboration of 65-70%, this would mean 102-110 aerial victories instead of 158... still very impressive, but it's a major difference. Imho, one of the reason for overclaiming was  the inevitable confusion prevailing in major aerial battles involving dozens of planes, or even more. Everything was happening very fast, you could not always follow your prey to its ultimate death and, sometimes, different pilots ended up claiming the same plane, especially during bomber escort. A good illustration of this took place in march 1945; The 332nd FG was awarded a DUC for a mission flown on 24 March 1945, escorting B-17s to bomb a tank factory in Berlin. 332 FG's pilots claimed 11 Me262 jet fighters, but JG 7 records show that only four Me 262s were lost. The bombers also made substantial claims, making it impossible to tell which units were actually responsible for those individual four kills. Examples of that nature are countless. But of course, and this case illustrates it, overclaiming was not intentional the vast majority of the time, as you mentioned. With a few exceptions maybe... Pride and vanity can take you in all sort of directions...

 

Edited by Cleo9
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, Cleo9 said:

 

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, but my PC runs smoothly at max settings, so I guess I'm just a poor shot, lol 😄. Well, that's not really true, in fact I'm quite good at deflection shots, but I'm an average virtual pilot; you gotta know how to handle those planes and I'm still learning. 

 

In some ways, I find certain specific deflection shots easier than firing on a target (that's evading) from directly behind. The AI is remarkably good at wriggling out of your crosshairs when it knows you're behind it, and it can't turn to escape. By contrast, a target in a steady turn has fewer variables to consider before firing. Assuming, of course, that you can pull through your target's turn. 

 

Now, the deflection shots that involve firing on a target moving across my view (perpendicular or nearly so): I'm generally awful at those, and don't even bother trying to make the shot. I'm also pretty bad at any angle of snap shots wherein the target only briefly flashes across your sight at close range.

 

I'd say the majority of my kills are in point-blank passes, but a substantial minority are from deflection turns. The worst thing is when I cripple a plane with a short burst while turning, but then have to waste a lot more ammo to finish it off when it drops out of the turn. The AI's ability to bob and weave is increased exponentially if you've damaged its tail, because it has the uncanny ability to keep the plane (barely) stable despite the wrecked control surfaces. So then what I'm left with is the usual bobbing, plus random darting from a shaky tail.

 

On 8/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, Cleo9 said:

But of course, and this case illustrates it, overclaiming was not intentional the vast majority of the time, as you mentioned.

 

 

There is also the minor consideration of claims made that weren't allowed due to lack of witnesses. In other words, pilots lost out on kills that they made, but could never verify. I'm not saying this completely balances out overclaims, but it does mitigate them.

 

One of the distinct advantages of a game, is that when a plane you crippled a half-hour before manages to get back to base, but then crashes into trees on the landing approach because it's so heavily damaged, you still magically get the kill credit. In reality, of course, similar things happened but were unknown to the enemy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The following is why I can only get a maximum of 4 kills in a sortie with a MiG-3 (with gun pods):

 

20200824234231_1.thumb.jpg.5d9e97c939cd40ebe109a79a77c8fc9f.jpg

 

Emptied my last ammo into this one, and nothing to show for it. Come on, game. Give a Russian pilot a break sometimes.

Edited by oc2209
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HomicideHank said:

A bit of humble brag never hurt anyone.

 

A 41% accuracy from wing guns is definitely some good gunnery.

 

Also the number of shots per kill is pretty remarkable.

 

Is the Spitfire your 'main'? I can't shoot accurately with its guns, except in a slow turn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HomicideHank said:

Yeah, it's definitely my main aircraft. Been flying the V and IX exclusively online. What helped me to get better accuracy was to reduce the convergence down to 200m and trying to only fire at that range. If at point blank range I aim slightly off target and try to hit the enemy with only the right or left side guns.

 

Just realized that this topic is called "Your best sortie (single player)" 😅 Think my best sortie in the QMB was like 15 kills with the Spit IX against novice 190s.

 

I have all my planes set to 200m by default. I tried out other distances, and that one feels like the best compromise. As long as sniping isn't the goal, of course.

 

And yeah, the 190 AI is almost as awful as the P-47's in terms of being glorified target drones. It could at least use its roll rate more often. Still, you know how to conserve ammo to bag that many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2020 at 12:58 AM, norsetto said:

Considering another two went home limping its not bad. The last one finally got me though, and now I have to spend the rest of the war in a cozy German pow camp instead of my P38J cockpit 😒

 

 

Very nice. After such a tour de force, I do wonder how you got shot down. Fatigue from such a long sortie?

 

My closest rage-uninstall moment was after a 7 kill sortie, where I chased a Sturmovik into Russian territory to empty my last cannon rounds into it. I then climbed above the heavy cloud cover, and tried to fly back to friendly territory. Russian flak blew my wing off through the cloud cover. Direct fire too, not air bursts.

 

Granted, I was kill-hungry and shouldn't have chased the Sturmovik. But flak also shouldn't hit so accurately through total overcast...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the bad news is, I lost most of my flight. The good news is, I got a lot of kills. And isn't that really what's most important?

 

10killSortieCrop.thumb.jpg.4236499a1d2a71de99a6cc85dae21ba2.jpg

 

Since converting to the 109G-6 in career mode, I have 38 kills in 5 sorties. The 30mm, as I hoped, is pure murder in 1943 (I already used it in Bodenplatte). The 13mm are also a dream compared to the old pea-shooters. Yes, the G6 turns worse, yes it stalls more easily at low speeds, yes its acceleration feels sluggish. But I never got 10 kills before, so...

 

At the end of this combat, I had 9 rounds of 30mm remaining, but no enemies were alive nearby. With some better aiming during the sortie, I'd say 12 kills is realistically my maximum possible. That'd take a good deal of luck and quite a few attempts, I wager.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone's on the fence about buying the Fw-190D, here's my first career sortie in it:

 

190DfirstSortie.thumb.jpg.9911185b8b31d2436e7a86966162f268.jpg

 

Yes, it's really that good; huge ammo stores also help. About 5 kills were P-47s (which are utterly hapless, even on hard diff.), while the other 4 were Spitfires. I was almost bounced twice, but the Fw's roll rate makes evading the AI quite easy.

 

The 190D's guns in action. My only caption for the following screenshot: 'Ouch.'

 

20200901211935_1.thumb.jpg.b151cb3e0a8a7141c45f0e56e7883083.jpg

Edited by oc2209
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit. Now I have to stop pretending I have a mystical connection with the 109. I beat its 10 kill record with the Tempest. I didn't initially like the Tempest, but I've been flying so much lately that I finally learned wing-gun deflection by first becoming so experienced in nose-deflection. When I first started playing BoX, I was lucky to down 2 planes with the Tempest's 600 rounds of 20mm. In this last battle I exploded a 109 with my last 36 rounds of ammo. 

 

CareerHigh11.thumb.jpg.a9efb2b485ccd9317fb6803431b3ad0d.jpg

 

The breakdown of those 11 is 6 109G-14s, and 5 190A-8s. I got a Victoria Cross, a bar to my DSO, and a mention in despatches, just for the one sortie. Sadly, at only 44 career kills, it means I've got nothing left to look forward to aside from a few more bars to awards I already have. Way to encourage aces, British Empire. The Germans knew how to incentivize. With diamonds. 

 

It's worth mentioning that two friendly casualties in this sortie is exceptionally light (for hard mode). I noticed a sharp drop in casualties once I started to manually equip every plane in each flight with the boosted engine.

 

It's also pertinent to admit that I botched this sortie twice before I got this result. I normally don't restart failed missions, but this one was exceptional because the enemy planes started entering the mission area (only a few minutes from my base) right after the sortie began. I often have to fly around in circles for 10-15 minutes before anything happens. So I really wanted to play this sortie all the way through if I could. First time, I started too low, was struggling to climb to chase a Fw, and was savagely bounced by a 109 (that I saw on my tail but stupidly misidentified). I wasn't killed, but my plane was definitely out of the fight. My second try, I climbed higher before meeting the enemy, shot down the lead Fw, but it exploded and bent my prop. Third time was the charm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just flew my best single player sortie in my P40 campaign. Not in terms of numbers shot down (3) but in terms of sheer terror and adrenaline.

BoM intercept bombers mission, 9 HE-111 intercepted en route to target and 6 damaged by myself (Unfortunately no kills), forcing the bombers to drop bombs and turn for home.  Then the fighters arrived, and my god, I've never seen so many 109s at one time in my games so far. Never an opportunity to stick to a target as there was always another 109 on my 6.  My engine was damaged in the attacks on the HE-111s, and my windscreen was slowly getting covered in oil.  It was turn, snapshot, break to avoid the cannon fire coming from behind, another snapshot in a fight that lasted maybe 5 minutes but felt like an hour.  Finally when the opportunity presented itself, I managed to extend away to RTB.  Of course 2 109s decided that my wounded bird was not getting home this time which led to a treetop level chase until 2 other P40s from my flight scared them off.  Nursed my plane all the way back home to Moscow on a wing and a prayer, and made an emergency landing at home base.  Only then did I realize that at some point in the fight, I had lost my right wing tip and my left aileron when I went to external view in order to survey the damage...   Still high off the adrenaline from that fight.  Just goes to show, some of the best sorties aren't the ones in which you down tons of enemies, but rather when you go up against overwhelming odds and still manage to survive somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My best sortie recently comprised of me managing to make it home with half my stabiliser shot off. Flying lone wolf in the P-40 I've been spending a lot of time under the brolly so actually making it back to friendly lines with a relatively intact plane was an acheivement!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 4:43 AM, oc2209 said:

The following is why I can only get a maximum of 4 kills in a sortie with a MiG-3 (with gun pods):

 

20200824234231_1.thumb.jpg.5d9e97c939cd40ebe109a79a77c8fc9f.jpg

 

Emptied my last ammo into this one, and nothing to show for it. Come on, game. Give a Russian pilot a break sometimes.

Devs of this game have a well known German bias.  😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Noisemaker said:

Just goes to show, some of the best sorties aren't the ones in which you down tons of enemies, but rather when you go up against overwhelming odds and still manage to survive somehow.

 

Sounds like a very exciting sortie indeed. By all means, everyone should feel free to share any interesting sorties they want, regardless of kill count. I simply chose high scores because that was the easiest to quantify; and as such, it shows me how much progress I've made in learning aerial gunnery. I also like to compare scores because it shows inherent differences from pilot to pilot, and how some people can get a lot out of one plane, while others can't, etc. For example, I still can't dogfight in any Focke-Wulf aside from the D. I know what I should do, in theory; but putting it into practice is something else.

 

Needless to say, I find the interrelation between individual pilot psychology and the unique flying and combat characteristics of each plane, quite fascinating.

 

There, I just edited my opening post to be more expansive for people who want to talk about all kinds of sorties.

 

52 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Devs of this game have a well known German bias.  😉

 

 

Yeah, at face value, that could be true. I think it's mostly the 109's damage model more than anything else, though; and that might not be intentional. There also could be an issue with damage visualization not being accurately translated into the flight model.

 

For instance, in that above screenshot of the damaged 109, its elevators are so shot up, it should get virtually no control out of them. I've seen photos of planes that were hastily sabotaged before an airbase was captured, and they were considered unflyable with less control surface damage than this 109 has. Even though the ailerons are still pretty clean, the giant holes in the wings should create a lot of turbulent flow, at least during maneuvers. Yet, this plane was still performing combat-level maneuvers in this condition. I'm not saying it should instantly crash, but it should definitely be gently coaxed back to base. Why it isn't trailing any kind of smoke anywhere is another mystery to me.

Edited by oc2209
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, the P-38 is my clear favorite for American careers. I've put about 10 sorties into the P-51, and am indifferent to it. I've tried the P-47 in quick battles, and I'm not enough a masochist to try it in career. But in the P-38, my career sorties have gone like so: 3 kills on my first sortie, 5 on my second, 7 on my third. The concentration of the .50s in the nose is the clear difference between my performance in the P-51 and the P-38. I can take off a 109's wing with just the .50s in the '38, something I can't do in the '51. I've also gotten quite good at killing Fw-190 pilots with my .50s in deflection (because they're easier to out-turn than 109s, which are still relatively easy to out-turn while in the '38). The '38 has a remarkably light feel to it (note that I routinely drop flaps to about 15% while turning), and great aileron control at speeds approaching 400mph. Very happy with it overall.

 

The only drawback: how anticlimactic it is to be done with medal hunting after 3 days; even faster than my British career. The Medal of Honor is a prettier medal than the Victoria Cross, though. Sorry, Vickie. 

 

20200906171521_1.thumb.jpg.c81e0a0b61255f160119914836649d3e.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, two-fer-one deal. I've been playing too much lately, if that wasn't obvious. I'm bouncing around all my careers instead of sticking to one.

 

To start, this is easily my best kill. A Spitfire IX is turning in front of the sun, chasing one of my AI wingmen. I'm in a 109G-14. I'm nearly blinded, but fire a short burst in an attempt to scare him off (this sometimes works, or seems to). This is the result:

 

20200907004053_1.thumb.jpg.1db7fb4307a712b514bcf4cf2391d25e.jpg

 

I turned my HUD on to check my ammo count. 20 rounds spent on a blind shot. It's also funny how your wingmen instantly know when an enemy pilot's dead, to say 'target destroyed.'

 

My second screen is in my Yak-9T. I've been shot up pretty badly, and I have poor control over my left wing, which is constantly trying to drop. I land with gear and flaps down (which I know in real life is stupid, but I like to challenge myself in these instances; belly landings are too easy). This is the result:

 

20200906225015_1.thumb.jpg.13e01a9ec508921292a49540031ec505.jpg

 

I'm pretty sure my vertical stabilizer was not shot off before I landed. I pitched forward and saw nothing but dirt (I don't have eye tracking or VR), then seemingly spun around like so (hence the wheels leaving tracks in the wrong direction). Did my plane somersault, and that's what ripped my stabilizer off? The landing gear look kind of floppy and half-broken too. I can't quite explain what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

-13 kills in a FW 190A3 in Stalingrad. That included a few IL2s, a few Yak 1's and many La5s.

 

- 11 A-20's flying an Me262.

 

- 11 kills in a Dora. A few Tempests and loads of P-47s, including 3 with only MG 131 ammo left

 

- 9 kills in a 109 G4, it was all fighters probably a lot of Lagg3's.

 

-7 kills in an La5FN mostly 190's.

 

I also did a lot of successfull ground attack missions in Il2s, 110's and P-38s. Probably troop concentration attacks and railway junction attacks. That means many armored vehicles destroyed. 

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 8:54 PM, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

-13 kills in a FW 190A3 in Stalingrad. That included a few IL2s, a few Yak 1's and many La5s.

 

- 11 A-20's flying an Me262.

 

Do you prefer the early Fw-190 with extra wing guns, or without? I haven't tried the A3 with the guns, because I like to turn too much in it. Regardless, 13 kills is certainly a good ammo-per-kill ratio.

 

As for the 262, I own it but strangely have no compulsion to fly it in career (mainly because it can't dogfight). Were those 11 kills on hard mode? I can't imagine the laser AI gunnery would be neutralized by the 262's speed. If they were on hard mode, I'll have no choice but to attempt to match it. Emphasize 'attempt.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oc2209 said:

 

Do you prefer the early Fw-190 with extra wing guns, or without? I haven't tried the A3 with the guns, because I like to turn too much in it. Regardless, 13 kills is certainly a good ammo-per-kill ratio.

 

As for the 262, I own it but strangely have no compulsion to fly it in career (mainly because it can't dogfight). Were those 11 kills on hard mode? I can't imagine the laser AI gunnery would be neutralized by the 262's speed. If they were on hard mode, I'll have no choice but to attempt to match it. Emphasize 'attempt.'

 

I really love the A3. At first I used to some times remove the outer cannons especially if I expected to engage fighters only but now I carry them all the time. The A3 is surprisingly agile and of course faster than any russian plane available in late 42. 

 

I dont play on hard mode I play on normal mode. You need to be extremely disciplined with the 262. Them Tempests can be pretty annoying so I tend to avoid them and aim for the bombers only. Usually, if you do things properly, you wont have any issue. I dont mind the turrets of the A-20 and the B-25 since the .50 is so underpowered right now.

 

However, in a 190A3 career, the turrets from the Pe2 and the IL2 43 can ruin your day mighty fast. Which is a bit weird...you know, to think its more dangerous to attack an IL2 from 6 o'clock than a B-25. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

I dont play on hard mode I play on normal mode. You need to be extremely disciplined with the 262. Them Tempests can be pretty annoying so I tend to avoid them and aim for the bombers only. Usually, if you do things properly, you wont have any issue. I dont mind the turrets of the A-20 and the B-25 since the .50 is so underpowered right now.

 

However, in a 190A3 career, the turrets from the Pe2 and the IL2 43 can ruin your day mighty fast. Which is a bit weird...you know, to think its more dangerous to attack an IL2 from 6 o'clock than a B-25. 

 

Yeah, the fighter AI doesn't seem to shoot that much more accurately in hard mode (though it tends to bounce you better), but the defensive turrets get a noticeable boost in accuracy. You're damn lucky to not be instantly killed by defensive fire, if you get anywhere within 200m. That your plane takes engine damage on an attack pass is practically a given. At the absolute least, the AI will shoot up your wing just by passing within 300m of any gunner, from any angle. Needless to say, it's a bit too accurate at the moment.

 

I find Pe-2s pretty dangerous as well. IL-2s can at least be gutted from below with some difficulty. What makes the IL-2 dangerous is the pilot's constant banking to give the rear gunner a greater field of fire. Thus even attacking from below isn't perfectly safe.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oc2209 said:

 

Yeah, the fighter AI doesn't seem to shoot that much more accurately in hard mode (though it tends to bounce you better), but the defensive turrets get a noticeable boost in accuracy. You're damn lucky to not be instantly killed by defensive fire, if you get anywhere within 200m. That your plane takes engine damage on an attack pass is practically a given. At the absolute least, the AI will shoot up your wing just by passing within 300m of any gunner, from any angle. Needless to say, it's a bit too accurate at the moment.

 

I find Pe-2s pretty dangerous as well. IL-2s can at least be gutted from below with some difficulty. What makes the IL-2 dangerous is the pilot's constant banking to give the rear gunner a greater field of fire. Thus even attacking from below isn't perfectly safe.

 

Yep, that pretty much sums up the reason why I dont play on hard mode, it would simply make the turrets even more annoying, the Pe2 is already unrealistically dangerous at the moment. 

 

Right now, AI enemy fighters are far from being the most dangerous factor in SP.

 

-Turrets (especially UBS turrets)

-flak

-collisions

-friendly fire

-enemy fighters

 

In that order. I think playing on hard mode would only accentuate the gap between turrets and enemy fighters. Which is not what Im looking for at all.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...