Jump to content

Discussion of Planned Improvements to DESERT WINGS - TOBRUK Game Engine


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I know its been discussed but are their plans ( or is it even possible ) to improve evening settings & night skies.Sunset is really pretty but dusk after or before sunset/sunrise & night skiesare the weakest graphics surroundings of the sim in my view.There may have been some progress with DWT but still the lighting of the sky & objects shown in it is/are disappointing.ūü§ē

 

I believe the TrueSky system includes new environmental lighting so I would bet on the graphics of the sky and sunset and night sky being updated as well. Should be an exciting fall once it is implemented.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the graphics are wonderful...  but the inability to read the gauges in the cockpit because of sun flare and resultant shadow is WAY overdone.  I never have seen that to be such a problem except on the most rare conditions.  There is no way...in North Africa in the daytime I should have a problem (lack of light) to clearly see the gauges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Cliffs but only got it out of curiosity when it was on offer. It looks really good but I use VR only for SIMs now ( VR is what got me back into multiplayer online combat sims, I started with Air Warrior in the 90's ).  So I will be sticking with War Thunder,  IL2 Great Battles and DCS for now.  Adding VR would make me buy this game immediately and I think you may be surprised at how many other people there are out there who would do the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 1:33 AM, Sokol1 said:

My "nitpicking" is that leaks don't look that "fluid, convincing spray" like used to be:

 

https://youtu.be/v6u4JxgE2S4?t=1576

 

Now is more... 'crude". 

 

But,  "water under the bridge". :good:

 

 

I also noticed the current water/fuel¬†leaks now¬†look more like gray smoke than¬† fluid spray, as previously done and seen in your video link¬†‚ėĚÔłŹ

 

This is what it looks like now (def not as immersive on current build as before). It would also be nice to have a water on windscreen if you fly through it like happens in this video.

 

 

(Gray smoke for water)

 

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

 

I also noticed the current water/fuel¬†leaks now¬†look more like gray smoke than¬† fluid spray, as previously done and seen in your video link¬†‚ėĚÔłŹ

 

This is what it looks like now (def not as immersive on current build as before). It would also be nice to have a water on windscreen if you fly through it like happens in this video.

 

 

(Gray smoke for water)

 

Just me and I see your point, but I get distracted by the desert map every time I see one of these videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

 

@Mysticpuma Gaijin has quite a bit more resources to do whatever it wants with it's products than TFS or BoX team. Quite a feat by TFS to inject TrueSky and VR considering the size of the team. 

No disagreement from me but they have Truesky working in Clod, at-least post some images of it in action while testing progresses? 

 

20200822_184221.thumb.jpg.f1bf96eb589f07b3addc5566c16af9f9.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ppl need to forget about VR happening for some time, its already been covered by devs in the OP, that will will not see this until at best sometime in 2021

 

I really looking forward to seeing Truesky  weather and water implemented , this I expect we will see well before any VR system added.

Quote

We had a working beta of this new weather system tested in December of 2019, but it needs improvement and the addition of additional features and was not ready for release.

 

The expectation is we should have this new weather system in place in Fall/early Winter of 2020.

 

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 3:46 AM, Mysticpuma said:

An update like this for the new weather system would be great to see, especially as TrueSky is due by the end of November?

 

https://warthunder.com/en/news/6909-development-new-skies-in-war-thunder-en

Truesky addition will not be released in November.

 

We want to have a new tessellation system for ground terrain and objects released at the same time.

 

This will greatly improve the look of the terrain at the same time as we improve the look of the sky with Truesky.

 

We are working on these improvements and hope to have them ready late this year or early 2021.

 

We will not be held to arbitrary or imagined deadlines.  We will release improvements when they are ready.

 

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was written that the weather was hoped to be in by the end of Autumn, which is December 21st. So by the end of November final bug fixes should be complete and RC ready? 

Anyway, thanks for the update ūüĎć

Edited by Mysticpuma
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Puma, the end of the Autumn is the 21st of December, not the 31st November (by the way, November NEVER ends with a 31st day... :).

 

And Buzzsaw statement on the 15th of August was "Fall/early Winter of 2020"

 

If the Winter of 2020 ends on the 21st of March, 2021... I SAY that at least the two first weeks of January STILL ARE "early Winter of 2020". 

 

AND SO... TFS is on schedule.

 

What if they encountered a few unexpected difficulties and this is not implemented before the Autumn of 2021? Well, so it will be... and that's all, what else could be said?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, Mysticpuma said:

It was written that the weather was hoped to be in by the end of Autumn, which is December 21st. So by the end of November final bug fixes should be complete and RC ready? 

Anyway, thanks for the update ūüĎć

We are not going to be held to any arbitrary deadlines.

 

As I said, our work is ongoing... we will release when the work is completed to our satisfaction.

 

Below are some examples of Tessellation and 4K on Aircraft externals we are working on and which we hope will be ready late this year or early next.

 

We will offer optional 4k externals on aircraft/ground/objects for those players whose PC's can deal with the load.

 

Kittyhawk-4k.jpg


E-7-4k.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We are not going to be held to any arbitrary deadlines.

 

As I said, our work is ongoing... we will release when the work is completed to our satisfaction.

 

Below are some examples of Tessellation and 4K on Aircraft externals we are working on and which we hope will be ready late this year or early next.

 

We will offer optional 4k externals on aircraft/ground/objects for those players whose PC's can deal with the load.

 

Kittyhawk-4k.jpg


E-7-4k.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Buzzsaw, will this work fix the herringbone/striped shadows on the externals? That's been a long-standing issue that really does spoil the external visuals of the aircraft? Cheers, MP

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, Buzzsaw said:

We are not going to be held to any arbitrary deadlines.

 

As I said, our work is ongoing... we will release when the work is completed to our satisfaction.

 

Below are some examples of Tessellation and 4K on Aircraft externals we are working on and which we hope will be ready late this year or early next.

 

We will offer optional 4k externals on aircraft/ground/objects for those players whose PC's can deal with the load.

 

 

The 4K skins look awesome! Will all of the skins that come with the game be updated to 4k?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

 

The 4K skins look awesome! Will all of the skins that come with the game be updated to 4k?

Yes, if we go this route, then all the aircraft should have 4k optional skins.

 

We have also recently updated the game code so it can allow up to 8k.

 

So in the case of larger aircraft, we could do the skins in a higher resolution than 4k... with the larger surface area of these types, the normal resolution is sometimes not enough.  This is why some of the twin engine types don't look particularly good with the current 2k.

 

But this will all be optional for the player.  Those with weaker PC's can stick with 2k.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Is it possible to cancel Track IR control the external view in default? Currently, you need to disable TIR to control the viewing angle.
2. Whether the bullet hitting effect can be enhanced, it is not clear whether it hit the enemy plane.
3. Operable fuel prime pump and its animation, it will slightly enhance the over-simplified startup process.

Edited by Oyster_KAI
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To Oyster_KAI : an upvote for you, for a more realistic and player-involving startup process... but not all planes seem to follow exactly the same startup steps. Currently, for example, it seems that the D.520 requires a contact lever rather than switching on a pair of magnetos on the dashboard. The real thing is: those things are complicated, they depend on each specific case, and we have only one list of control settings...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

2. Whether the bullet hitting effect can be enhanced, it is not clear whether it hit the enemy plane.

 

Bullet hit effects depend on the type of bullet.

An ordinary Ball or AP round does not create an impact flash which is historical. That's one of the reasons why both the LW and RAF have observer rounds for their rifle caliber machine guns. These rounds exploded on impact in a bright flash indicating that your gunfire was on target. HE and certain API or I rounds create impact flashes as well as is historical. I don't see a reason why this should be changed.

Edited by Karaya
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Karaya said:

 

Bullet hit effects depend on the type of bullet.

An ordinary Ball or AP round does not create an impact flash which is historical. That's one of the reasons why both the LW and RAF have observer rounds for their rifle caliber machine guns. These rounds exploded on impact in a bright flash indicating that your gunfire was on target. HE and certain API or I rounds create impact flashes as well as is historical. I don't see a reason why this should be changed.

 

Just to add/clarify that the .303 British and RAF observer rounds that were designed to give just a good puff of smoke were intended for training practise and were not intended for operational use.

 

Happy landings,

 

56RAF_Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

(thank you Talisman)

 

I had the following experience a few weeks ago. I think I was flying in the Dogz server (Channel map): my MG34 7.92mm bullets (maybe two or three of them, most likely only two or even only one) impacted directly in the hinges of the left aileron in the wing of a Spitfire Mk.I. The aileron was violently ripped out of the wing and flew away, then almost immediatly started falling like a dead leaf in Autumn... except that we were in Summer... Summer 1940...

 

The above mentioned visual experience was simply astounding, never before I saw such a level of realism in a simulator. The way the bullets went to the target (balistics) and the accuracy the software provided in terms of bullets trajectory/point of impact/consequences... all of this SHOULD'NT be modified. We know how risky is to modify portions of source code as this may affect other portions in the code. Please leave the bullet hitting effects are they are, they are perfection IMHO.

Edited by 343KKT_Kintaro
The above MENTIONED visual experience
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, I./SG1.Ludovisi said:

I've got original COD, and I love the desert theatre... but I wait for VR support.

 

For me Sim = VR, I cannot play a first person game/sim without VR since a bought the oculus.

Apparently there is a desert mod for BoX. There is a Channel map coming for BoN. I am not sure there is much incentive left for adding VR to Cliffs.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Apparently there is a desert mod for BoX. There is a Channel map coming for BoN. I am not sure there is much incentive left for adding VR to Cliffs.

According to that there would be no need for the channel map in BoX or having to use a desert mod. Some prefer CloD, some prefer BoX, and some like both, why do you have to stop the development of either of them?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Apparently there is a desert mod for BoX. There is a Channel map coming for BoN. I am not sure there is much incentive left for adding VR to Cliffs.

 

Of course there is

Even if i got a VR headset, I don't play BoX in VR but i will play Cliffs in VR because of the vast majority of features of Cliffs listed here that doesn't exist in BoX :

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

 

Of course there is

Even if i got a VR headset, I don't play BoX in VR but i will play Cliffs in VR because of the vast majority of features of Cliffs listed here that doesn't exist in BoX :

 

 

Folks who are hostile to VR are unlikely to spend for a VR HMD and the hardware needed to run it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zzzxxxxzzz said:

According to that there would be no need for the channel map in BoX or having to use a desert mod. Some prefer CloD, some prefer BoX, and some like both, why do you have to stop the development of either of them?

I don't understand your post. I am looking forward to the Channel map in BoN. Why would I want development stopped? In terms of Blitz, I am not aware that a VR mod is in active development. My understanding is that Truesky must come first. VR is the last item on the August 14 list and is contingent on sales "success" of the current offering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I don't understand your post. I am looking forward to the Channel map in BoN. Why would I want development stopped? In terms of Blitz, I am not aware that a VR mod is in active development. My understanding is that Truesky must come first. VR is the last item on the August 14 list and is contingent on sales "success" of the current offering.

 

Desert mod on BoX.

 

You say: " I am not sure there is much incentive left for adding VR to Cliffs." because there will be a channel map in BoN

 

You are looking forward to the Channel map in BoN some of us are looking forward to any improvement in CloD (included VR)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The survey doesn't have one choice it should have;

"3.) own BoX which I fly with VR and I own Clod DWT which I fly happily with Track IR until at some future point VR is implemented by the developers."

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blitzen said:

The survey doesn't have one choice it should have;

"3.) own BoX which I fly with VR and I own Clod DWT which I fly happily with Track IR until at some future point VR is implemented by the developers."

Seems like funding further development is left to those folks in groups 2 and 3. If Steam Stats show that DW-T is a resounding success then that "success" can fund VR development. Otherwise it would seem that the only viable way forward is to produce more non-VR DLC. Other flight sims have for years now offered a polished VR environment that can respond relatively quickly as new HMD's arrive on market. How would the small development team be able to adapt to the added burdens VR would impose? The Blitz true believer base will definitely pay for more non-VR DLC. OTOH folks who insist on VR can have their needs largely met via other flight sim' maps and plane sets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...