Holtzauge

Would the Pfalz D.VIII be a good addition to Flying Circus?

Posted (edited)

I think Flying Circus is a great simulator and I would love to see a second installment. I think the Pfalz D.VIII would be a nice addition.

Below is a link to a video I took last weekend of Mikael Carlson doing test flight number eight in his Pfalz D.VIII. My GoPro is not quite the tool for this but I included the high altitude scene anyway because I just love the whine the plane does when he goes into a descending high speed turn about a minute into the video.

Any thoughts on this? Should the Pfalz D.VIII or maybe the Siemens Schukert D.IV be included in Flying Circus? As I understood it from speaking to Mikael, he had the Siemens Halske IIIa engine that was mounted in both aircraft and had to decide which aircraft to build and the choice fell on the Pfalz because apparently there is way more data available on the Pflaz D.VIII than the SS D.IV which would then hint that it would be a good choice also be good for FC.

BTW: If someone is wondering where the two posts I made yesterday about Mikael Carlson’s input on WW1 airplane handling characteristics and the Fokker D.VII video I posted have gone they have been moved by the moderators to the free subject section and can be found right under the ”What music do you listen to” thread. ;)

Spoiler

Edited by Holtzauge
  • Thanks 2

That was my first thought when I saw it.

However, in the real world it's in the balance whether or not we get the next 10 crates from RoF.

To get a 'new' plane anytime soon would certainly be certainly be a surprise.

But yes, I'd love it in-game.

S!

Seeing this video first thought was that i was looking at an FC1 game play video recording. A Compliment for the FC1 dev crew thus.

Seeing as they produced only about 40 of them, it's even more of a unicorn than the SS d.iv.

I still think a sopwith snipe and SS d.iv collector pairing is the way to go if they (for some reason) decide to go the collector plane route with FC.

Gameplaywise, Pfalz would be a great addition to German line. I want a J2 Paul Baumer skin, too! Historically, it was really rare plane. Siemens Schukert D.IV would make more sense.

• Upvote 1

Glad you like the Pfalz D.VIII video @ZachariasX. I made a cockpit walkaround video as well and it is truly amazing the level of historical accuracy that Mikael Carlson has managed to achieve. I will PM you the link.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holtzauge said:

I will PM you the link.

Thanks!! That aircraft is truly a beast. I wonder how a SPAD XIII with the Hisso 8F would be like next to that one. I mean, these aircraft are beasts. They clearly exceed higher powered GA aircraft of today in terms of power/weight.

Going though what we learned so far, I really think the Fokkers D.VII (and some extent Dr.I) main advantage are the ease of contol, control authority, and most of all the confidence on the pilot to perform whatever maneuver safely. It is of little use if you have an ok performing aircraft like the N28, but when people are affraid to stunt it, they cannot exploit the theoretical capabilities, something Eddie Rickenbacker complained about in his memoirs.

This also puts the largely sub par flight performance ofthe Dr.I vs the Camel in a new light. You cannot stunt the Camel in a way you can with the Dr.I. The Camel doesn‘t have the ailerons for it, while the rudder is probably less effective due to the stabylo vs. the flying rudder.

Mikael flies the D.VII in a rather „remarkable“ way. Imagine how Ernst Udet would have made a display with such an aircraft...

Regarding the Pfalz, it is an impressive aircraft. But I doubt Mikael will stunt it like he does the D.VII. But we’ll see.

Still looking in the engine figure estimates, but they are very close to the Siemens-Schuckert D.III where you have detailed info on. 

15 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Thanks!! That aircraft is truly a beast. I wonder how a SPAD XIII with the Hisso 8F would be like next to that one. I mean, these aircraft are beasts. They clearly exceed higher powered GA aircraft of today in terms of power/weight.

Going though what we learned so far, I really think the Fokkers D.VII (and some extent Dr.I) main advantage are the ease of contol, control authority, and most of all the confidence on the pilot to perform whatever maneuver safely. It is of little use if you have an ok performing aircraft like the N28, but when people are affraid to stunt it, they cannot exploit the theoretical capabilities, something Eddie Rickenbacker complained about in his memoirs.

This also puts the largely sub par flight performance ofthe Dr.I vs the Camel in a new light. You cannot stunt the Camel in a way you can with the Dr.I. The Camel doesn‘t have the ailerons for it, while the rudder is probably less effective due to the stabylo vs. the flying rudder.

Mikael flies the D.VII in a rather „remarkable“ way. Imagine how Ernst Udet would have made a display with such an aircraft...

Regarding the Pfalz, it is an impressive aircraft. But I doubt Mikael will stunt it like he does the D.VII. But we’ll see.

Still looking in the engine figure estimates, but they are very close to the Siemens-Schuckert D.III where you have detailed info on. 

Yes, I think the info from Mikael about the light controls on the Dr.1 was especially interesting and that the ailerons on the Pfalz D.VIII were so heavy. As you say, while Javier Arango does not get into specifics about actual control forces he is quite critical of the aileron arrangement on the Camel and from looking at the pictures a ballpark guess would be that the Camel is probably then more close to the D.VIII than the Dr.1 when it comes to aileron forces. The Dr.1: The Fw-190 of WW1! ;)

Regarding the Pfalz, Mikael said that he is proceeding testing it cautiously which seems prudent. Especially given he said he want to approach stall carefully since early impressions seem to be it does not have the same benign stall as the Fokkers. But even so I think you are right about the future: The D.VIII is probably more of an energy than angles aircraft and it will be very interesting to see what happens when he expands the envelope but that thin wing profile with the sharp leading edge should theoretically at least put a cap on what's possible in terms of hard manouvering.

About the Pfalz cockpit video: On the left is IIRC the oil pressure gauge just like in the original: Mikael made it on a lathe himself based on measurements taken of the real thing in a museum and convinced some company specializing in glass to blow that part for him. Talk about attention to detail!

Mikael also did an early turn trial during the eight test flight and I'll PM you about that as well.

• Like 1