Sign in to follow this  
Holtzauge

Fokker D.VII aerobatics by Mikael Carlson

Posted (edited)

Below is a link to a video I shot of Mikael Carlson putting his DVII through its paces.

A video can of course never fully convey the feeling of standing there getting your hair ruffled by a low flying DVII and hearing the Mercedes DIIIaü sing but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Spoiler

Edited by Holtzauge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Lol Klug was thinking the same thing. Nice vid Holtz. 

Yep, I really like the second low altitude pass! It was priceless standing there when he came back around for that. His D.VII is really is a museum piece but the way Mikael flies it you get transported right back in time to some forward Jasta airfield right behind the trenches.....

Some curiosa:

If you are wondering about that banging sound the D.VII makes on landing that is just the way it sounded back in WW1: I had a chat yesterday with Mikael and he explained that the wheel axle (steel) is housed  in a steel enclosure in the landing gear fairing just as it was back then so no compromises. Everything is as it was in the original and this part of the plane is prone to wear. He said that his theory of why they did it like that was that back then it did not matter: The planes did not in general last long enough for this to become an issue.

Another nice detail about the landing gear is that he said to me on an earlier occasion that while he uses bungee-cord for the axle to wheel strut connection, he actually has the original steel springs used by the Germans in WW1 available but prefers the bungee-cord since it has a damping effect which of course is not there if you use springs.

• Thanks 1